Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hockey_Canada1

2010 Winter Olympics

328 posts in this topic


Why are you people fighting over the olympics?

Just by bringing up the issues of vancouver, shoving it in their face, and comparing to calgary, takes away from everything that the Calgary Olympics was, and represented.

Vancouver is a party town, a passionate town, that fights for their different causes.

Calgary in 1988 was a city who still had a small town togetherness mentality.

Comparing differrent times, different eras, and entirely different types of people.

I think Vancouver is doing just fine.

Any canadians win any gold medals yet?

Christina Groves, who is about to skate in the long track 3000m is a strong possibility.

And I will say it again, this is Canada's games even more than it's Vancouver's games. Let's act like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='The_Don wrote:


dvast8']Why are you people fighting over the olympics?

Just by bringing up the issues of vancouver, shoving it in their face, and comparing to calgary, takes away from everything that the Calgary Olympics was, and represented.

Vancouver is a party town, a passionate town, that fights for their different causes.

Calgary in 1988 was a city who still had a small town togetherness mentality.

Comparing differrent times, different eras, and entirely different types of people.

I think Vancouver is doing just fine.

Any canadians win any gold medals yet?

Christina Groves, who is about to skate in the long track 3000m is a strong possibility.

And I will say it again, this is Canada's games even more than it's Vancouver's games. Let's act like it.

Kristina just won a bronze medal for us

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bronze from Groves, and hopefully something from Bilodeau in the Men's moguls. He qualified 2nd.
He got the Gold!!!!banana.gifdance.gifrockon.gifthumbsup.gifbanana.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canada did awesome today. Too bad they only got two medals out of it:

-Jean-Philippe Leguellec places 6th in Men's 10 km Sprint in Biathlon, making him the highest placed Canadian biathlete ever.

-Samuel Edney places 7th in a stacked field in Men's Luge, making him the highest placed Canadian luger ever.

-Kristina Groves gets bronze in 3000 m, Clara Hughes places 5th, both in events that they consider not to be their strongest.

-Alexandre Bilodeau gets the gold that Canada's long been waiting for on home soil, Vincent Marquis places 4th in his first Olympics, Pierre-Alexandre Rousseau places 5th in his first Olympics despite being on the national team for 13 years.

Well done Canada! Looking forward to tomorrow! It would be awesome to see Jeremy Wotherspoon take home a medal tomorrow, he can't be a more deserving person in the skating world to receive one.

Go Canada! thumbsup.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='bigchief wrote:


The_People1 wrote:


bigchief']

That was Catriona LeMay Doan who did not get to light the torch because it was her arm of the cauldron that didn't raise. What a shame!

Was there suppose to be 5 arms that rose from the ground?  Because there were 5 torch bearers at the end.  I only saw 3 arms rise.

I don't know what the number or plan was on who was going to light which arm. I saw Gretzky interviewed and he expressed  how he felt bad for Catriona but he didn't mention anyone else so I'm not sure how those 5 were supposed to share 4 arms?

EDIT: Did Gretzky actually light one of the cauldron arms inside BC place? If you subtract him from the 5 torch bearers, that would make sense, 4 arms, 4 people.

The more i think about it, the more i think there was only suppose to be 3 arms that rose from the ground because the cauldron outdoors only has 3 arms too.  Right?  They're both suppose to look the same?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asking anyone who knows a lot about these Olympics...

Do we have any potential medal contenders on Day 4 (Monday)? I know today had some medal hopes and they came through with a gold and bronze. We have any contenders going tomorrow and, if so, what's the event?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='The_People1 wrote:


bigchief wrote:

The_People1']

Was there suppose to be 5 arms that rose from the ground?  Because there were 5 torch bearers at the end.  I only saw 3 arms rise.

I don't know what the number or plan was on who was going to light which arm. I saw Gretzky interviewed and he expressed  how he felt bad for Catriona but he didn't mention anyone else so I'm not sure how those 5 were supposed to share 4 arms?

EDIT: Did Gretzky actually light one of the cauldron arms inside BC place? If you subtract him from the 5 torch bearers, that would make sense, 4 arms, 4 people.

The more i think about it, the more i think there was only suppose to be 3 arms that rose from the ground because the cauldron outdoors only has 3 arms too.  Right?  They're both suppose to look the same?

LOL, I may have Alzheimer's......but at least I don't have Alzheimer's!

Honestly, I can't remember the number of arms, only that one didn't come out of the ground, I thought 3 came up and 1 didn't?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are you people fighting over the olympics?

Just by bringing up the issues of vancouver, shoving it in their face, and comparing to calgary, takes away from everything that the Calgary Olympics was, and represented.

Vancouver is a party town, a passionate town, that fights for their different causes.

Calgary in 1988 was a city who still had a small town togetherness mentality.

Comparing differrent times, different eras, and entirely different types of people.

I think Vancouver is doing just fine.

Any canadians win any gold medals yet?

(1) No one is "fighting" over the Olympics here, I think you can disagree on a topic and have a rational, respectful and civilized discussion on it. This isn't China you know, we are allowed to discuss things and have different perspectives. 

(2) Considering this is a "Calgary" Flames message board I am not sure why bringing up 88 would be so shocking. Is it such a terrible and out of place thing to do, here in this place of all places ? And no one is shoving anything in anyone else's face, you don't want to read the comment, don't read it or comment on it. My comments are usually purposefully long enough to discourage a lot of readers, hopefully. 

(3) And yes, comparing the Habs dynasty teams of the 60s to the Oiler's dynasty team of the 80's is not really accurate. Similar to comparing Olympics of different eras and cities. But despite this fact I don't think it is a crime to do it and people continue to do so.

I am tempted to ask you what you think the Calgary Olympics represented if I am so out of touch but I took some time to think about where you might be coming from. 

I think you were trying to articulate that the Calgary Olympics was not about winning medals, it was not about Canada as a nation rubbing any success it had in the faces of other nations, I think you will say that it was about cheering just as hard for visiting nation's athletes as you were for Canada's. That in Calgary we were not celebrating any short comings of other nations that resulted in our success and therefore, I as a writer should not be highlighting any sort of short comings in Vancouver in the same spirit. 

That the greatest highlights in 88 were in cheering the athletes of all nations to give their personal best and not caring for a second what flag they wore. A reason why Eddie the Eagle and the Jamaican bobsled team became so famous and the hospitality was so thick in Calgary in 88 for all athletes and visitors. We transcended nationalism in Calgary with good will to all people. Therefore I should at least have the sense to transcend comparing two cities and their ability to host the Olympics as well. After all both cities, like two athletes, are giving or gave their best effort and that is all that matters. 

I think that is what you were trying to say but then you ended with the statement "Any Canadians win any medals yet ?" and I had to wonder what you meant all over again. Are Canadians winning medals really that important to you ? Is that what you think the games are about ? I was still wondering as I watched Bilodeau win the gold and jump up and run past French skier Guilbaut Colas, who did the final run and as his head dropped in dejection and he shuffled away Bilodeau exploded with joy and ran past him and my heart sank, although I immediately took heart again that Bilodeau noticed what he had done, but was caught up in the moment and walked back toward Colas to pat him on the back and again my heart soared. 

Our first Gold medal winner on our soil had not forgotten what the Olympics are truly about.  

A huge congratulations to Bilodeau. Much deserved and I am so grateful to him that I do not have to listen to NBC continue to harp on the Canada not winning gold theme any longer. smile.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asking anyone who knows a lot about these Olympics...

Do we have any potential medal contenders on Day 4 (Monday)? I know today had some medal hopes and they came through with a gold and bronze. We have any contenders going tomorrow and, if so, what's the event?

Thanks.

Events:

Women's Cross-Country - 10km Free

- One athlete (Madeline Williams) not a favorite

Men's Downill

- four athletes. One medal favorite (Manuel Osbourne-Paradis) and one medal hopeful (Erik Guay)

Men's Cross-Country - 15km Free

- Four athletes, no medal favorites

Men's Snowboardcross

- three athletes, no medal favorites

Figure Skating Pairs - Free Skate

- two teams, 6th and 7th after short program. Dube and Davidson were expected to compete for a medal.

Men's Long Track 500m

- four athletes, 2 medal hopefuls (Jamie Gregg and Jermery Wotherspoon)

So we could win as many as 5 medals tomorrow. It is reasonable to expcet one from Osbourne-Paradis and one from Wotherspoon at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='The_People1 wrote:


bigchief wrote:

The_People1']

Was there suppose to be 5 arms that rose from the ground?  Because there were 5 torch bearers at the end.  I only saw 3 arms rise.

I don't know what the number or plan was on who was going to light which arm. I saw Gretzky interviewed and he expressed  how he felt bad for Catriona but he didn't mention anyone else so I'm not sure how those 5 were supposed to share 4 arms?

EDIT: Did Gretzky actually light one of the cauldron arms inside BC place? If you subtract him from the 5 torch bearers, that would make sense, 4 arms, 4 people.

The more i think about it, the more i think there was only suppose to be 3 arms that rose from the ground because the cauldron outdoors only has 3 arms too.  Right?  They're both suppose to look the same?

http://sports.yahoo.com/o...urn=oly,219441&cp=60

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='Flame111 wrote:


dvast8']
Why are you people fighting over the olympics?

Just by bringing up the issues of vancouver, shoving it in their face, and comparing to calgary, takes away from everything that the Calgary Olympics was, and represented.

Vancouver is a party town, a passionate town, that fights for their different causes.

Calgary in 1988 was a city who still had a small town togetherness mentality.

Comparing differrent times, different eras, and entirely different types of people.

I think Vancouver is doing just fine.

Any canadians win any gold medals yet?

I think you were trying to articulate that the Calgary Olympics was not about winning medals, it was not about Canada as a nation rubbing any success it had in the faces of other nations, I think you will say that it was about cheering just as hard for visiting nation's athletes as you were for Canada's. That in Calgary we were not celebrating any short comings of other nations that resulted in our success and therefore, I as a writer should not be highlighting any sort of short comings in Vancouver in the same spirit. 

That the greatest highlights in 88 were in cheering the athletes of all nations to give their personal best and not caring for a second what flag they wore. A reason why Eddie the Eagle and the Jamaican bobsled team became so famous and the hospitality was so thick in Calgary in 88 for all athletes and visitors. We transcended nationalism in Calgary with good will to all people. Therefore I should at least have the sense to transcend comparing two cities and their ability to host the Olympics as well. After all both cities, like two athletes, are giving or gave their best effort and that is all that matters. 

I think that is what you were trying to say but then you ended with the statement "Any Canadians win any medals yet ?" and I had to wonder what you meant all over again. Are Canadians winning medals really that important to you ? Is that what you think the games are about ? I was still wondering as I watched Bilodeau win the gold and jump up and run past French skier Guilbaut Colas, who did the final run and as his head dropped in dejection and he shuffled away Bilodeau exploded with joy and ran past him and my heart sank, although I immediately took heart again that Bilodeau noticed what he had done, but was caught up in the moment and walked back toward Colas to pat him on the back and again my heart soared. 

Our first Gold medal winner on our soil had not forgotten what the Olympics are truly about.  

A huge congratulations to Bilodeau. Much deserved and I am so grateful to him that I do not have to listen to NBC continue to harp on the Canada not winning gold theme any longer. smile.gif

 

That all sounds so wonderful. I was born later that year, so obviously I have no personal recolection of the Calgary games. I have never heard anything negative about the games myself so I think it is safe for me to assume that they were a complete success in terms of everything you talked about. I would like to now ask what about these games makes you think that they aren't achieving the same sort of success as Calgary? The things you have complained about in the previous post were either a) minor details/errors (shape of the medals and one mechanical malfuntion) or B) things out of the control of either the Organizing comittee (protesters) or out of the control of anyone (weather). If you truly have the olympic spirit you would look past the minor "mistakes" that are negligable at best and enjoy the games the way they are meant to be enjoyed; by cheering on your country as well as respecting all athletes and nations visiting our great country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That all sounds so wonderful. I was born later that year, so obviously I have no personal recolection of the Calgary games. I have never heard anything negative about the games myself so I think it is safe for me to assume that they were a complete success in terms of everything you talked about. I would like to now ask what about these games makes you think that they aren't achieving the same sort of success as Calgary? The things you have complained about in the previous post were either a) minor details/errors (shape of the medals and one mechanical malfuntion) or B) things out of the control of either the Organizing comittee (protesters) or out of the control of anyone (weather). If you truly have the olympic spirit you would look past the minor "mistakes" that are negligable at best and enjoy the games the way they are meant to be enjoyed; by cheering on your country as well as respecting all athletes and nations visiting our great country.

I am sure I will be viewed as a big party pooper. 

At this early stage my disappointment is primarily with VANOC and others who I suspect were applying inappropriate pressure for a 'medal' haul. Something I personally find particularly distasteful because 'medals' are to me the lowest and most irreverent measurement of a Games success for a host nation. As host county our priority in Calgary was much more on welcoming the world, in fact we put the entire world before ourselves, all of our visitors, the foreign athletes, the foreign media, everyone. Just like you would do personally if you had a guest in your home for dinner. There was hope for a medal of course but it was hardly what anyone was focused on.    

There is nothing minor about the death of the Georgian luger, in fact it is probably the biggest shadow you could have and yes I think the track could have been designed safer sooner. Instead of "better safe than sorry", we are sorry. 

This is something that I genuinely believe could have been corrected in two ways (1) track design itself should have been more conservative and (2) worst of all Canadian Sports officials limited other nations athletes access to the track in an attempt to get an edge in the medal haul, although this is within the rules it is completely contrary to the Olympic tradition as per the NY Times. If the Georgian luger had, had the option of doing more runs he may not have rushed his practice runs, the fatal accident may never have occurred, we will never know...

It is just particularly offensive to me that while within the rules VANOC decided to try and 'mine' more medals for Canada by maintaining a home track advantage and this is NOT in the tradition of other Olympic host nations. They provided the most minimal exposure to the track possible to all visiting athletes. This is not the Olympic spirit, it is selfish and offensive nationalism at the cost of someone's life. A complete failure to see the spirit of international goodwill and competition in favor of blind nationalism and simple minded medal counts. 

(1) So primarily and it is no minor thing - the safety of the athletes has not been insured. 

Like the Georgian president, I may not know a lot about the luge track design but I do think he is right in that it should not lead to a death. How would we feel if one of our athletes died on a track in another country ?

Other comments from Australia on the track. 

I said it before and I will say it again, I would trade every medal ever won by Canada in the past and in the future to have the life of Georgian luger back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Preliminary lines of Russia:

Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Semin

Kovalchuk-Malkin-Afinogenov

Morozov-Zaripov-Zinoviev

Kozlov-Fedorov-Radulov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='The_Don wrote:


flames-fan-911']Asking anyone who knows a lot about these Olympics...

Do we have any potential medal contenders on Day 4 (Monday)? I know today had some medal hopes and they came through with a gold and bronze. We have any contenders going tomorrow and, if so, what's the event?

Thanks.

Events:

Women's Cross-Country - 10km Free

- One athlete (Madeline Williams) not a favorite

Men's Downill

- four athletes. One medal favorite (Manuel Osbourne-Paradis) and one medal hopeful (Erik Guay)

Men's Cross-Country - 15km Free

- Four athletes, no medal favorites

Men's Snowboardcross

- three athletes, no medal favorites

Figure Skating Pairs - Free Skate

- two teams, 6th and 7th after short program. Dube and Davidson were expected to compete for a medal.

Men's Long Track 500m

- four athletes, 2 medal hopefuls (Jamie Gregg and Jermery Wotherspoon)

So we could win as many as 5 medals tomorrow. It is reasonable to expcet one from Osbourne-Paradis and one from Wotherspoon at least.

roll.gifhappy.gif

Great to hear. Thanks Don.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='The_Don wrote:


flames-fan-911']Asking anyone who knows a lot about these Olympics...

Do we have any potential medal contenders on Day 4 (Monday)? I know today had some medal hopes and they came through with a gold and bronze. We have any contenders going tomorrow and, if so, what's the event?

Thanks.

Events:

Women's Cross-Country - 10km Free

- One athlete (Madeline Williams) not a favorite

Men's Downill

- four athletes. One medal favorite (Manuel Osbourne-Paradis) and one medal hopeful (Erik Guay)

Men's Cross-Country - 15km Free

- Four athletes, no medal favorites

Men's Snowboardcross

- three athletes, no medal favorites

Figure Skating Pairs - Free Skate

- two teams, 6th and 7th after short program. Dube and Davidson were expected to compete for a medal.

Men's Long Track 500m

- four athletes, 2 medal hopefuls (Jamie Gregg and Jermery Wotherspoon)

So we could win as many as 5 medals tomorrow. It is reasonable to expcet one from Osbourne-Paradis and one from Wotherspoon at least.

So given the finish by our skiers, and barring an upset by Hudec or by an athlete in another event, speed skating will be the only hope for a medal today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='Barney_Gumble wrote:


The_Don wrote:

flames-fan-911']Asking anyone who knows a lot about these Olympics...

Do we have any potential medal contenders on Day 4 (Monday)? I know today had some medal hopes and they came through with a gold and bronze. We have any contenders going tomorrow and, if so, what's the event?

Thanks.

Events:

Women's Cross-Country - 10km Free

- One athlete (Madeline Williams) not a favorite

Men's Downill

- four athletes. One medal favorite (Manuel Osbourne-Paradis) and one medal hopeful (Erik Guay)

Men's Cross-Country - 15km Free

- Four athletes, no medal favorites

Men's Snowboardcross

- three athletes, no medal favorites

Figure Skating Pairs - Free Skate

- two teams, 6th and 7th after short program. Dube and Davidson were expected to compete for a medal.

Men's Long Track 500m

- four athletes, 2 medal hopefuls (Jamie Gregg and Jermery Wotherspoon)

So we could win as many as 5 medals tomorrow. It is reasonable to expcet one from Osbourne-Paradis and one from Wotherspoon at least.

So given the finish by our skiers, and barring an upset by Hudec or by an athlete in another event, speed skating will be the only hope for a medal today.Given what I've seen from the qualification runs of Snowboard cross, don't count out one of the Canadians competing for a medal. 2 of our guys (Mike Robertson and Drew Neilson) have looked really good during qualification runs (Robertson sits 3rd as I'm typing this, and 3 are top ten), and at the same time, the medal favorites haven't been great.

The qualification rounds are vastly different from the actual competition (they're timed while the competition is 8 groups of 4 going head-to-head, with top 2 advancing to the semis and then the finals), but we do have a legit shot at a medal. Snowboard cross is one of those events where anything can happen at any time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a huge snowboard follower but is this the event where there are like 4-5 guys doing the run at the same time?
Yep, 4 guys go at the same time.

Woo, Robertson is in the final! Should've had 2 Canadians but one got taken out in the semi. ohwell.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations Mike Robertson on the Silver. Screw You WESCOTT!!!!!!!! Oh well just about had it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Argh, Robertson should've had the gold there! Unfortunately the American rider was able to make up a huge gap and take it away.

Ah well, congrats on the silver, Robertson!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Argh, Robertson should've had the gold there! Unfortunately the American rider was able to make up a huge gap and take it away.

Ah well, congrats on the silver, Robertson!

I'm alright with silver! WoooHooo! Way to go Mike Robertson! thumbsup.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.