Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hockey_Canada1

2010 Winter Olympics

328 posts in this topic

You know, who gives a flying **** about all of these small nitpicky problems? (ice problems, weather problems) Really? Do we care if the Brits think these are the worst Olympics ever? Events haven't been cancelled outright, just delayed. Bad (unfavourable) weather happens, and I can guarantee you that the London games will have events rescheduled due to weather at some point, be it rain, or fog.

So far, the ticket scandal in Calgary and having to delay many outdoor events on the last day due to warm weather stand out in my mind about the Calgary games; yet nobody seemed to harp on these matters nearly as much as these minor issues (especially issues out of Vanoc's control, like the weather)

Barney, Part of me wants to stick my fingers in my ears, close my eyes and say loudly over and over "I can't hear you" as well, I think a lot of us, myself included, are in a state of shock over how things are going and are getting emotional about it, I know I am. This Games is blowing up in our face as far as international good will goes. 

Newspapers all over the world who are publishing articles critical of the Games and are now having individual Canadians log onto them and post comments that are ripping into that countries culture or people with harsh and negative comments, this is a new internet twist that was never there before. You know the typical flaming emotional post well. 

Our entire international reputation of being easy going friendly polite people is potentially going up in smoke or at least being undermined via the internet because of these Games, I personally am not sure I should call them Olympics anymore. In 2010 we can actually via the Internet go on-line and post comments in newspapers in Australia, England, the United States, France, ripping into those newspapers and the people of that country for daring to question our Games and that is what is happening now. 

Hows that for something no one could have anticipated, don't think VANOC has a response plan for that one. Thank God most Canadians do not know German, Norwegian, Finnish, Swedish, Dutch etc.

I know I myself am just as guilty of doing that "HERE" but I consider our little Flames board a safe place to do so, after all who comes and reads these posts anyway. Those primary newspapers in other countries are read by thousands of people in that country, what an introduction to a emotional and angry Canadian...frown.gif Should do wonders for tourism... 

But to answer your question, the people who care about small nit-picky problems like ice quality, a biathlon starting properly, luge design, (looked into this one and if you want to read a shocker of a article published weeks before the luge death it is here. The Russians for 2014 were told explicitly by the Luge Governing body not to copy the design in Vancouver http://www.ctvolympics.ca...centre/newsid=39462.html ) but anyway the people who care about these nit picky things are the Olympians themselves and the fans of these sports. 

I know biathlon and speed skating are all just fringe events to most of us, sports that we watch once every 4 years, if at all but as hockey is to Canada, Speed Skating is to the Netherlands, Luge and Bobsled are to the Germans, Biathlon and Cross country skiing are to the Norwegians etc. These sports are of huge importance to the people of those nations. 

At first you cut a little slack. But imagine that we are in Italy playing our hockey Gold medal game and Iggy goes into the boards for the puck and the glass pops out and hits him in the face and the game is delayed, you are annoyed at first but lets move on, it happens. After all what do the Italians know about building a hockey rink. But then it happens again and falls on Crosby and again and hits Thornton. At what point do you start to lose your patience with your host? These athletes are stars in their home country. 

And yes Calgary had a couple issues, so did the scandal of bribery of Salt Lake etc, there is no perfect games but there is a tipping point in my view where the Games can actually be regretted or viewed as unsuccessful, most in Montreal I think see the 76 Games as unsuccessful because of the debt, the non functioning roof on the stadium etc. 

Our warm weather issue hit at the end of our Olympic Games in 88 and like a snow boarder who hit a bump at full speed we were lucky that it was at the END of the race and we crossed the finish line without falling. Vancouver 2010 though is like a Alpine Skier going a 100 km/hr and immediately catches an edge at the very beginning of the race and is off balance already, can they possibly pull themselves back on track and regain their balance before they crash or have they already crashed ? 

If individual Canadians keep logging onto international newspapers and attacking the journalists and people of other countries and cultures, we definitely as a host country have totally crashed and wiped out. That is already happening and if it continues, (Canada is one of the most inter-net wired countries in the world), we will have lost our previous reputation of being polite and easy going people. 

So, anyone still care about winning 35 medals, that was such a big deal wasn't it...

[quote name='Flame111 wrote:

Barney_Gumble']
You know, who gives a flying **** about all of these small nitpicky problems?
(ice problems, weather problems) Really? Do we care if the Brits think these are the worst Olympics ever? Events haven't been cancelled outright, just delayed. Bad (unfavourable) weather happens, and I can guarantee you that the London games will have events rescheduled due to weather at some point, be it rain, or fog.

So far, the ticket scandal in Calgary and having to delay many outdoor events on the last day due to warm weather stand out in my mind about the Calgary games; yet nobody seemed to harp on these matters nearly as much as these minor issues (especially issues out of Vanoc's control, like the weather)

At first you cut a little slack. But imagine that we are in Italy playing our hockey Gold medal game and Iggy goes into the boards for the puck and the glass pops out and hits him in the face and the game is delayed, you are annoyed at first but lets move on, it happens. After all what do the Italians know about building a hockey rink. But then it happens again and falls on Crosby and again and hits Thornton. At what point do you start to lose your patience with your host? These athletes are stars in their home country. 

And yes Calgary had a couple issues, so did the scandal of bribery of Salt Lake etc, there is no perfect games but there is a tipping point in my view where the Games can actually be regretted or viewed as unsuccessful, most in Montreal I think see the 76 Games as unsuccessful because of the debt. 

Our warm weather issue hit at the end of our Olympic Games in 88 and like a snow boarder who hit a bump at full speed we were lucky that it was at the END of the race and we crossed the finish line without falling. Vancouver 2010 though is like a Alpine Skier going a 100 km/hr and immediately catches an edge at the very beginning of the race and is off balance already, can they possibly pull themselves back on track and regain their balance before they crash or have they already crashed ? 

If individual Canadians keep logging onto international newspapers and attacking the journalists and people of other countries and cultures, we definitely as a host country have totally crashed and wiped out. That is already happening and if it continues, (Canada is one of the most inter-net wired countries in the world), we will have lost our previous reputation of being polite and easy going people.
That is an awful example because it happens in the NHL. It happens not often, but often enough to notice it. Do you get pissed of at the Saddledome crew or the city of Calgary for letting such a thing happen?

So now VANOC is to blame for internet tough guy syndrome? If these people are doing such a thing, then wouldn't a reputation of doing so be deserved?

You keep reaching and reaching, eventually you are going to fall of your pedestal.

Since you like articles so much, here is one for you.

VANCOUVER - Senior Olympic officials are lining up to defend the 2010 Winter Olympics against a torrent of criticism, based on the Games' troubled first few days.

International Olympic Committee member Dick Pound told critics yesterday to chill out, attributing most of the harsh reviews to a bored news media.

"There's not enough going on for you guys [the media]," Mr. Pound said. "To say these Olympics are not well-organized, that they're not great, and people aren't having a wonderful time is, quite frankly, silly."

VANOC boss John Furlong pointed to the tens of thousands of people thronging the streets of Vancouver, as the Games have progressed. "I've never seen this before, and I've been going to Games for a long time," he said. "All the venues for the first day of hockey and curling are full. This has never happened before. I think IOC officials are quite stunned."

As for what he referred to as "this demon on Cypress Mountain" and other problems, Mr. Furlong said the measure of an organizing committee is how you fix them.

"That's what we're going to try to do in every case, and as we get closer and closer to the end, I think people will find they've had a fantastic time," Mr. Furlong said, in an interview with CTV.

IOC communications director Mark Adams derided the growing media criticism, particularly in the British press, with one reporter labelling them "the worst Games ever."

"You wonder which city they're reporting from," Mr. Adams said. "What they're saying bears absolutely no relation to what I've seen at the competitions. It's been amazing. You wonder where these people have been."

Mr. Pound dismissed the thousands of ticket cancellations at Cypress Mountain as "a predictable blip," said groups like the Saint-Jean-Baptiste Society wouldn't be satisfied with "100-per-cent French" at the opening ceremonies, and pointed out that no one has any say over the weather.

"The Olympic gods are capricious. You have ice and snow since the beginning of time, until you get to the Winter Games, and you have heat waves, like we did in Calgary," Mr. Pound said. "It happens all the time."

The outspoken Olympic official, former head of the World Anti-Doping Agency, also took a shot at those criticizing the high-speed luge track for being too dangerous, after the death of Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili.

"The outcome was rather extreme, and that's a shame," he said. "But people are calling into question the very existence of luge, saying the track was dangerously designed and so on. That's just silly. It's not."

Mr. Pound, who has attended every Winter Olympics since 1976, said current critics have no idea of the many glitches experienced by previous Games.

"You should have been in Lake Placid [site of the 1980 Winter Olympics]. The joke running around Olympic circles for decades was that, whenever anything got screwed up, people would say: 'Oh, this was organized by Lake Placid.'"

Even the much-vaunted Calgary Winter Olympics of 1988 had problems, Mr. Pound recalled. "We had 75 different events rescheduled during those Games. We had six days in a row when the temperature was warmer than in Miami. People were watching ski-jumping with no shirts on. This is nothing here," he said.

"When you compare these Games to Torino or Lake Placid or anywhere else, VANOC is a pretty well-oiled machine."

Not even the abrupt, unprecedented cancellation of 28,000 standing-room tickets for snowboard events at Cypress because the fenced-off area became unsafe perturbed Mr. Pound. "You can't have them up there standing in the mud, but is that the end of life as we know it? I mean, not really.... Hey, stuff happens."

Mr. Pound said VANOC has done a remarkable job responding to problems as they've arisen.

His only criticism? "They probably should have brought in an extra live chicken to sacrifice for weather. That's the only thing I would have done."

That is an awful example because it happens in the NHL. It happens not often, but often enough to notice it. Do you get pissed of at the Saddledome crew or the city of Calgary for letting such a thing happen?

So now VANOC is to blame for internet tough guy syndrome? If these people are doing such a thing, then wouldn't a reputation of doing so be deserved?

You keep reaching and reaching, eventually you are going to fall of your pedestal.

Uhhh, I have been off the pedestal since opening night. As a Canadian I had my view. I am a superstitious guy, I believe in jinxes, karma, all that. Personally, I think our "leaders" focused excessively on winning medals at the cost of ignoring the historic Olympic creed and motto and this has resulted in bad luck for the Games but that is just me. 

But seriously Don, do you want me to take down my posts ? I will. You know I write long babbling emotional rants but I consider our little Flames board a safe place to express myself because really how many people read this, a few hundred at most and exclusively all of them are hard core hockey fans. 

I just don't see my comments as being that important, they are just my view.

Edit: And your article, where is it from? I am well aware of how the Canadian media is in full damage control and counter-spin mode. Hosting an international event though, I am more concerned how our visitors are perceiving us, not how we are trying to maintain a perception of ourselves.  

[quote name='Flame111 wrote:

The_Don']

Uhhh, I have been off the pedestal since opening night. As a Canadian I had my view. I am a superstitious guy, I believe in jinxes, karma, all that. Personally, I think our "leaders" focused excessively on winning medals at the cost of ignoring the historic Olympic creed and motto and this has resulted in bad luck for the Games but that is just me. 

But seriously Don, do you want me to take down my posts ? I will. You know I write long babbling emotional rants but I consider our little Flames board a safe place to express myself because really how many people read this, a few hundred at most and exclusively all of them are hard core hockey fans. 

I just don't see my comments as being that important, they are just my view.

Edit: And your article, where is it from? I am well aware of how the Canadian media is in full damage control and counter-spin mode. Hosting an international event though, I am more concerned how our visitors are perceiving us, not how we are trying to maintain a perception of ourselves.  
When was the last time you had heard anything about 'own the podium' prior to the games (which have only been in reference to)? I think the program ran it's course and hasn't been relevant for a couple years now. But yet it is still being used against us by the negative nancy's.

Why would I want you to take down your posts? We are having a good discussion here.

It was posted on CDC, it is from Rod Mickleburgh of the Globe and Mail. This isn't the Canadian media with an opinion piece. This is a high member of the IOC (INTERNATIONAL Olympic Committee) saying that all the reports are being overblown, and this may be the best organized games ever.I couldn't care less about what international media is saying about us. I know full well that the media rarely represents the masses. What I care about is the athletes, officials, family members, and most importantly they people who took time out of their own lives to come here simply to enjoy the games. And the response from these people is overwhelmingly positive. Now I know you are going to respond with how the athletes are complaining about weather or the Luge track. But this is not what I am talking about. Are they being treated with welcoming hospitality? Have they enjoyed their time in the city? Have the had a positive experience that they will share with their friends back home? These are the questions that I care about. Not how the politics of the games sneak their way in like they always do.

I know you have this unicorns and rainbows image of what the Olympics are, and that would be great, but reality is that is not the case. The Olympics games are about corporate dollars and international politics. Like it or not, that is the reality of the games today.

When was the last time you had heard anything about 'own the podium' prior to the games (which have only been in reference to)? I think the program ran it's course and hasn't been relevant for a couple years now. But yet it is still being used against us by the negative nancy's.

Why would I want you to take down your posts? We are having a good discussion here.

It was posted on CDC, it is from Rod Mickleburgh of the Globe and Mail. This isn't the Canadian media with an opinion piece. This is a high member of the IOC (INTERNATIONAL Olympic Committee) saying that all the reports are being overblown, and this may be the best organized games ever.I couldn't care less about what international media is saying about us. I know full well that the media rarely represents the masses. What I care about is the athletes, officials, family members, and most importantly they people who took time out of their own lives to come here simply to enjoy the games. And the response from these people is overwhelmingly positive. Now I know you are going to respond with how the athletes are complaining about weather or the Luge track. But this is not what I am talking about. Are they being treated with welcoming hospitality? Have they enjoyed their time in the city? Have the had a positive experience that they will share with their friends back home? These are the questions that I care about. Not how the politics of the games sneak their way in like they always do.

I know you have this unicorns and rainbows image of what the Olympics are, and that would be great, but reality is that is not the case. The Olympics games are about corporate dollars and international politics. Like it or not, that is the reality of the games today.

Yeahhhh but the only problem is Dick Pound is a Canadian, he is biased. As a Canadian on the IOC he is not the 'ideal' person to comment, no matter how much Olympic experience he has. 

Do you have a comment from even ONE non-Canadian Olympic rep or non Canadian journalist, something from any other countries newspapers, their athletes, coaches about how the games are going great ? All I got was that NBC is having record ratings, hockey is going to be great and it was wonderful to see the story of Canada's first gold medal winner and his brother. 

Otherwise I can give you over 20 different specific items of complaints from international media, from all the worn out talk about the weather to how the Olympic Flame is not accessible to the public and is surrounded by a chain link fence. How people were chanting in front of it, tongue in cheek "Mr. Furlong, Tear down this wall"

Latest news today - 20 injured in Olympic Concert Chaos - 9 Hospitalized - God I hope it was no one visiting from another country. 

I refuse to stick my head in the sand on this topic. What is going to happen in front of the world in Vancouver if Canada actually wins the Gold medal in hockey ?  

http://www.theprovince.co...ncert/2573540/story.html

"City of Vancouver manager Penny Ballem said the city feels confident the LiveCity entertainment site in Yaletown is safe. " 

I think its very early to suggest that Vanoc is failing here or that the games are a failure. Really the only part of it that I think directly relates to them is the ice machine at the oval not working properly. That looks bad on them.

the weather is the weather and its not really part of their control. Sure, they had to cancell a bunch of tickets but they did that to keep the integrity of the event in tact. The events come before fans and unfrotunately the weather has not really coopoerated with the games. But lets give no credit to Vanoc for putting on a great moguls and snowboard cross race and competition despite the weather? how about the tireless work on the downhill course to get it going? I think Vanoc deserves a lot of credit for handelling the weather and I also think its prety ridiculous to bicker about what the weather has done to the games.

Lets also give no credit to Vanoc for desiging BC Place for the ceremonies so over 20,000 people get to stand there with pride and sign their national anthem? Thats not common. How about the concerts and events that they have go along with it? How about honoring all people across Canada with their variations in ceremonies and culture.

Way too much focus on the negative right now. At the end of the games we can checking from behind wether this games are a success or a failrure but alot of that comes down to money. Keep in mind, Vanoc also managed to get most of their venues built very close to budget and all were on time.

Wow, I have read with increasing uneasiness Flame111's posts slamming the Olympics in Vancouver. Really? I even had to side with the Don on this one. Glitches? yes, weather? check. There are indeed some problems. Who remembers the bombing in Atlanta? Hmmm funny how that was not brought up. Is this games an unparalleled success? No, but it is a far cry from a failure. Look at any host countries medal total, they skyrocket when they host the olympics. Australia an Olympic power? Hardly but they did pretty well in Sydney didn't they? Flames111 has been completely absorbed by the international media, shame on you. The Americans are the pushiest athletic organization out there and of course their media is going to stir the pot. After all who remembers Salt Lake? Exactly! As far as the British go, they are next, so naturally they are going to exert some negative pressure to make them selves look better. Do I want our athletes to win gold? Damn Rights! That is why we are here, to compete! Anyone who goes to the Olympics just to have fun can quit wasting my tax dollars now please?

Wow, I have read with increasing uneasiness Flame111's posts slamming the Olympics in Vancouver. Really? I even had to side with the Don on this one. Glitches? yes, weather? check. There are indeed some problems. Who remembers the bombing in Atlanta? Hmmm funny how that was not brought up. Is this games an unparalleled success? No, but it is a far cry from a failure. Look at any host countries medal total, they skyrocket when they host the olympics. Australia an Olympic power? Hardly but they did pretty well in Sydney didn't they? Flames111 has been completely absorbed by the international media, shame on you. The Americans are the pushiest athletic organization out there and of course their media is going to stir the pot. After all who remembers Salt Lake? Exactly! As far as the British go, they are next, so naturally they are going to exert some negative pressure to make them selves look better. Do I want our athletes to win gold? Damn Rights! That is why we are here, to compete! Anyone who goes to the Olympics just to have fun can quit wasting my tax dollars now please?

You forgot the Munich disaster, how bad did it reflect on the home of the holocaust to have the murders of several Israeli athletes.

I was planning on toning it down and not posting as much but since you called me out by name, I'll respond. I have said from the beginning there is no perfect games. All face challenges but I do feel a tipping point can be reached in which you cross the line into an unsuccessful games, Atlanta is certainly an example of one. 

(1) You are right, I am absolutely focused on the international media. In fact I am so overly focused on the international media that I have gone to the extreme lengths of going into Swedish, Dutch, German and Russian newspapers and using an on-line translator to see the response. Why ? Because we are a host nation and I care about how we are viewed by the world and like it or not the media of these nations will help form this. I don't think it is a conspiracy, I think they are just reporting what they are seeing.   

Here is a sample of a view on the Post-Van 2010 Canada. 

You've sacrificed your sound sensibilities, your lighthearted ways and your minimum-stress comfort zone to become, well, a pocket version of the United States of America, obsessed with winning at all costs. One of our funnymen, Stephen Colbert, has noticed the newfound ambition and called you "iceholes,'' saying on his Comedy Central show, "Canada has an aggressive new attitude -- in contrast to their previous slogan, `Pardon, would it trouble you if we won a medal or two? It would? OK. Never mind!'"

We have as a nation in Vancouver changed in front of the world from being overly humble, overly polite, to being viewed as nothing more than "little Americans" - does that make you happy ? It not only does not make me happy, in fact it downright upsets me. Maybe you prefer it, I don't know.  

If you think the criticisms have been raised by only the American and British media you are wrong.

But anyway I get where I am here though, there is no audience on this board for a critical analysis of the Olympics even if the entire world is discussing it, all we want to hear about here on this board is how many medals Team Canada is winning, no matter what that has cost us in our international reputation or in the safety of athletes or in the spirit of fair competition. I have kept posting here because I honestly think the medal obsession is the root problem. 

But I am on a message board that is frequented exclusively by hard-core hockey fans. Uncompromising sports fans who of course are about the win, not the Olympic creed of "not to win, but to take part" that holds as much water here as a sieve on this board. 

I am all about a discussion, discussed lots of things with Don before. He is a hard pragmatist and usually gives a pretty cold but realistic view of NHL hockey issues, unless it is his team and then like the rest of us he gets a little biased. But you may have a point, maybe the hard core sports fan does not really belong at the Olympics, maybe that is why NHL players may not go to the next Games ? Maybe that is why traditionally professional athletes were not allowed to participate.

Maybe it is time we get the Games back to its roots and take out the rabid need for medals to feed a nationalist hysteria, which is what I am seeing through a media filter in Vancouver. 

Here is a sample of a view on the Post-Van 2010 Canada. 

You've sacrificed your sound sensibilities, your lighthearted ways and your minimum-stress comfort zone to become, well, a pocket version of the United States of America, obsessed with winning at all costs. One of our funnymen, Stephen Colbert, has noticed the newfound ambition and called you "iceholes,'' saying on his Comedy Central show, "Canada has an aggressive new attitude -- in contrast to their previous slogan, `Pardon, would it trouble you if we won a medal or two? It would? OK. Never mind!'"

We have as a nation in Vancouver changed in front of the world from being overly humble, overly polite, to being viewed as nothing more than "little Americans" - does that make you happy ? It not only does not make me happy, in fact it downright upsets me. Maybe you prefer it, I don't know.  

Maybe it is time we get the Games back to its roots and take out the rabid need for medals to feed a nationalist hysteria, which is what I am seeing through a media filter in Vancouver. 

Don't take this personal because i'm nto necessarily attacking your opinion but just the concept in generally.

Honestly, this makes me so mad I can't think straight. EVERY single games Canadian people complain up and down the board that we don't perform well enough (again maybe you don't but this is a generalization). WE constantly wine and complain the smaller countries than us beat us and during the months after the Olympics say we need to do better. part of the reason that is, is becuase Canada choose to be the "nice" country and send everyone and anyone that could qualify and thus decrease our overal chances rather than putting the little money we have into the best athletes.

So after all the complaining and moaning the COC makes a switch, based on the constant feedback from the Canadian public, politicans, and athelets. The COC did not create the concept for this program, they simply designed the program based on the feedback from the people. I know first hand because I had a good 30 min talk with several members of the COC after the Athens games and they were being prompted to change.

And now people in Canada want to complain we are being too nice becuase we want to win medals? Absolutly ridculous. Its about time Canada dumped this "Go for Bronze" notion and win some medals and have some national pride. I could give a rats a## right now what any other country thinks of our attitude if we wind up winning a bunch of medals and showing the World we belong and can compete. Its not like the americans who rub it in people's faces and act cocky about it. You can win and win with alot of dignity and I think Canada is, will, and should do that.

I guarantee people are going to be far more proud of the athelets after this games than any other. Guarantee it.

offlineFlame111   Keep the words flowing. You obviously need to vent somewhere. I find most, but not all, of your arguments quite valid.

Sometimes it helps to think about or question things with stark reality. The warm  pink fluffy clouds and bunnies mentality protects a lot

of people from the true nature of many things.I personally think there are more good things about the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Games than bad, but given human nature, the bad always seems to take precedence. You are a rare breed, a true Canadian that is concerned about our reputation in the rest of the world. Many Canadians and most Americans don't appear to care what the rest of the world thinks.

Medalz......we need moar medalz!!!.....Of course with the "safety of athletes and the spirit of fair competition" of utmost importancetongue.gif.

[quote name='bigchief wrote:

The_People1 wrote:

bigchief']I don't know what the number or plan was on who was going to light which arm. I saw Gretzky interviewed and he expressed  how he felt bad for Catriona but he didn't mention anyone else so I'm not sure how those 5 were supposed to share 4 arms?

EDIT: Did Gretzky actually light one of the cauldron arms inside BC place? If you subtract him from the 5 torch bearers, that would make sense, 4 arms, 4 people.

The more i think about it, the more i think there was only suppose to be 3 arms that rose from the ground because the cauldron outdoors only has 3 arms too.  Right?  They're both suppose to look the same?

LOL, I may have Alzheimer's......but at least I don't have Alzheimer's!

Honestly, I can't remember the number of arms, only that one didn't come out of the ground, I thought 3 came up and 1 didn't?

LOL k, so to put an end to the topic,

Only three arms rose (in addition to the center torch).

olympicflame.jpg

There are suppose to be four arms,

?m=02&d=20100214&t=2&i=61066972&w=&r=201

Congratulations Marianne St-Gelais on the next medal (SILVER) for Olympic Team Canada WOO HOO!!!!!!!

roll.gif.............We tied for the Gold in board news releases...................

Moving mine to here.........

210px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png3.gif210px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png

Congratulations Marianne!!! Woooooohoooooo!

The men's relay what a heart stopper. The Canadian dude just skates with his hands behind his back, like dummm deee dummmm and just glides. And they touched each other's butts ahahahahahahaha I know I know it was to push them ahead. But still ha ha ha.

-Jeremey Wotherspoon, looks like Cyclopes the X-man. Because of the hood he wears, his visor like sun glasses, and the "X" straps on his front. Meh, Im more of a Gambit fan myself.

-And the women Skiers on Cyprus. OUCH!!!! their skis disintegrated into 1000 Cacutar needles! Something about the snow being too hard, to icy. OUCH!!!!

Is it just me or do we (CANADA) not have the most gorgeous women competing in Vancouver?

I think our female competitors have a boat-load of Olympic talent in the looks department as well.

CANADIAN GIRLS ARE HAWT!

offlineFlame111   Keep the words flowing. You obviously need to vent somewhere. I find most, but not all, of your arguments quite valid.

Sometimes it helps to think about or question things with stark reality.

The warm  pink fluffy clouds and bunnies mentality protects a lot

of people from the true nature of many things.

I personally think there are more good things about the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Games than bad, but given human nature, the bad always seems to take precedence. You are a rare breed, a true Canadian that is concerned about our reputation in the rest of the world. Many Canadians and most Americans don't appear to care what the rest of the world thinks.

Medalz......we need moar medalz!!!.....Of course with

the "safety of athletes and the spirit of fair competition" of utmost importancetongue.gif.
Thanks for the post IgBo, I view our little board and community as a safe place to vent and rant. wink.gif But at the same time it is a community and I try to keep my posts in a tolerable ball park. 

I think I have personally gotten too worked up over the 2010 Olympics because of personal reasons. I wanted them to go smoother and am probably over amplifying problems because of it. I'm going to take a little break from it. I am upset at what I am seeing which to me is looking like nationalist hysteria, we are all patriotic here but if it goes too far, it looks American, it just looks so bad on TV, frown.gif, so unCanadian. 

It is really bothering me personally.

Cross16, I'll respond a little later, I understand where you are coming from but I think there is a balance to what you are talking about...

Is it just me or do we (CANADA) not have the most gorgeous women competing in Vancouver?

I think our female competitors have a boat-load of Olympic talent in the looks department as well.

CANADIAN GIRLS ARE HAWT!

Do, Do my brotha. Heil and Vanderbeek *Drool* WOW!!!!!!! Hawt Hawt Hawt. Even Maelle on the single plank WOW!!!!!!! Yum and Crawford. Yum Yum LOL!!!!!!!

Tiny Ninja's Girlfriend too is YUMMY and Canadian WOO HOO!!!!!!!