Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hockey_Canada1

2010 Winter Olympics

328 posts in this topic

Nesbitt Gold, 1000m Women's long track speed Skating, Congrats Nesbitt, one more race to go.

[quote name='terrainman1 wrote:

IGGYFORPM']Is it just me or do we (CANADA)
not
have the most gorgeous women competing in Vancouver?

I think our female competitors have a boat-load of Olympic talent in the looks department as well.

CANADIAN GIRLS ARE HAWT!

Do, Do my brotha. Heil and Vanderbeek *Drool* WOW!!!!!!! Hawt Hawt Hawt. Even Maelle on the single plank WOW!!!!!!! Yum and Crawford. Yum Yum LOL!!!!!!!

Tiny Ninja's Girlfriend too is YUMMY and Canadian WOO HOO!!!!!!!

Iggy4PM.......Yes, quite a few of the Canadian female athletes are of  rather yummy quality (sorry but hawt is not in my vocabulary).

Why don't you start a thread so we don't have to search for their pics.

TN.roll.gifNice save with the last comment. Without it you would have been toast, based on personal experience.

Hey, Flames111 I just want to ask you one more question.

Where are you right now, since the start of and will be until the end of the Olympics?

Hey, Flames111 I just want to ask you one more question.

Where are you right now, since the start of and will be until the end of the Olympics?

You are asking me to post my address where I live on a public internet chat room ? Allow me to quote Sven Kramer from the Netherlands right after winning the Gold Medal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/o...rter-Are-?urn=oly,220576

Seriously Don, I am going to lighten up a bit here, the fact the European media is mixing us in with Americans now is something I am just going to get over, at least Sven tried to make a distinction still. 

Do not click this link if shirtless dancing Europeans scare you... laugh.gif

Great win by Canada today over the Swiss, man they have upped their hockey level a lot in the last couple decades...

Is it just me or do we (CANADA) not have the most gorgeous women competing in Vancouver?

I think our female competitors have a boat-load of Olympic talent in the looks department as well.

CANADIAN GIRLS ARE HAWT!

Oh yah, I second that. I also have to nominate the Japanese women's long track speed skating uniforms embarassed.gif Its like watching ST Voyager again.laugh.gif

[quote name='Barney_Gumble wrote:

Flame111']I live in the States and we invited over several friends to watch it with us,
the NBC montage that highlighted the USA-Canadian relationship was AWESOME in the beginning
, many Americans know very little about Canada so it was very well designed for a foreign / American audience. The high-definition shots of the BC landscape were awe-inspiring and if the goal was to bring tourists from other countries - HUGE WIN for NBC for BC.

I saw this video, and enjoyed it immensely.

Of course, went to NBC and can't watch it because I'm a Canadian. Go figure...

Bonus points for whoever points to this video on youtube (or puts it there)Finally, a link on youtube to the early part of their coverage in the USA before the feed was handed over to Vancouver for the opening ceremonies. NBC ran a half hour clip prepping the American audience for the Olympics the day of the Opening Ceremonies, part of it included a montage talking about Canada itself. 

This link is not all of it. There are still parts missing from that half hour prep. 

Because this clip was designed for a American audience I thought it was great, it likely provides nothing that most Canadians do not already know but I thought it was great because it informs and reveals the special relationship Canada and the USA have, something the majority of Americans are not even aware of. Very classy on NBC and in my view very well done. smile.gif 

You have got to like the zinger at the very end as well laugh.gif

Is it just me or do we (CANADA) not have the most gorgeous women competing in Vancouver?

CANADIAN GIRLS ARE HAWT!

She's injured, but MAN!

Kelly VanderBeek!

^ ...get's the sap running in the ole maple tree, doesn't it?

Any thoughts on the NYT article?  'Vancouver is "Manhattan with mountains..."'  That might be a stretch, but it is a beautiful city and it has looked fantastic throughout the games.

With an undertaking of this size, elbowinge will happen, but I think the city and the games (and KVdB) have looked terrific.

She's injured, but MAN!

Kelly VanderBeek!

> Wow lots of people are getting quite banged up in this games. and STILL competing. It's like they really are superheroines/heros, and not just look like them in their body suits and goggles, with the crazy helmets..... actually they look like Power rangers or something. Like Wotherspoon competed with all these rivets holding his arms and legs together. Move over..... Tony Stark!. These are Iron men.....

frown.gif for Melissa Hollingsworth in Women's Skeleton. You gave it your best girl and still made us proudthumbsup.gif

On another note....Kevin Martin & Team are now insanely dominating opponents. What beasts!!

They are showing our Hockey Team how it should be done.

Keep it up and show the World that Canada rules Curling....pimp.gif...Alberta Rules too!!

3.gif

frown.gif for Melissa Hollingsworth in Women's Skeleton. You gave it your best girl and still made us proudthumbsup.gif

I love my Canadian athletes and support them to death, but that was an absolute embarrassment and a choke of colossal proportions. She was neck-in-neck for silver and had bronze in the bag...and then finishes 5th.

Canada is doing anything but "owning the podium"...just sad. Canadian athletes are simply not delivering.

For people wanting to understand the format & ranking system in the 2010 Olympic Hockey Tournament follow this link:

2010 OWG Men's Tournament Playing Format

Excerpt

1. At the conclusion of the 18 game Preliminary Round all 12 teamswill be ranked according to a special criterion. This ranking will beused for seeding the teams in the Qualification Playoff games and willused for calculating the Final Ranking at the conclusion of the 2010Olympic Winter Games Men's Tournament.
  2. The following criteriawill be used in the order presented to determine this ranking followingcompletion of the Preliminary Round (1D - 12D):
    • Higher position in the group
    • Higher number of points
    • Better goal difference
    • Higher number of goals scored for
    • Better 2009 IIHF World Ranking
  3. Afterthe Preliminary Round, 1D, 2D, 3D and 4D will receive a bye into theQuarter Finals and will be named as the Home Team for their QuarterFinal pairing.
  4. The Qualification Playoff games will be played with the following match-ups (Group E):
    • 5D - 12D (Winner will become E1)
    • 6D - 11D (Winner will become E2)
    • 7D - 10D (Winner will become E3)
    • 8D - 9D (Winner will become E4)

Just saw the Melissa Hollingsworth Interview.

Don't worry girl. You let no one down. Your there doing it and tried your best. Which is a lot more than I can say for many Canadians. At the least you learned from it and are so young and have so much heart that will just boost you up higher. Don't ever give up and this True Canadian is Proud of you.

This country isn't about picking on those who tried but couldn't quite make it there. This country isn't about belittling those who gave it their all in the name of the country.

This Country is about support and about unity.

This Country is about pried and effort.

This Country is about trying your best and not cheating.

This Country is about the youth that paves the way for our future.

Melissa Hollingsworth, You are what this country is about and we are proud of you.

You will get it next time.

Don't give up as we won't give up on you.

You Believe and so do I.

Canada_Flag.gif

medium.jpg 210px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png

Jon Montgomery - GOLD In Men's Skeleton

Wow....that was intense..almost like watching overtime in a NHL playoff game.

Well Done Dude!!!

Thanks Don.

It's nice to be on the same side for a change. We are all passionate Hockey Fans for our perspective teams and all have varying opinions but if there is one thing I am first and foremost is Canadian and dam proud of it too. Can't think of a better person to be on the same side as than yourself buddy. For another week anyhow LOL!!!!!!! That Flames_Fan_911 sure pissed me off with his comments on the last page and something needed to be said that wasn't negative. No room for that when it comes to cheering for our Canadian Athletes. They completely devote their lives, time, energy, effort and heart towards competing for our country and the outcome of their performance is nothing compared at all to their sacrifice and we all should have nothing but nice and positive things to say, emotions and perspectives when it comes to our athletes, the Olympic Games and the city of Vancouver and VANOC for trying their very best to do their best.

Thanks Don.

It's nice to be on the same side for a change. We are all passionate Hockey Fans for our perspective teams and all have varying opinions but if there is one thing I am first and foremost is Canadian and dam proud of it too. Can't think of a better person to be on the same side as than yourself buddy. For another week anyhow LOL!!!!!!! That Flames_Fan_911 sure pissed me off with his comments on the last page and something needed to be said that wasn't negative. No room for that when it comes to cheering for our Canadian Athletes. They completely devote their lives, time, energy, effort and heart towards competing for our country and the outcome of their performance is nothing compared at all to their sacrifice and we all should have nothing but nice and positive things to say, emotions and perspectives when it comes to our athletes, the Olympic Games and the city of Vancouver and VANOC for trying their very best to do their best.

I cheer for my athletes with plenty of patriotism and homerness, but I have to be objective once in a while. She went from a medal in the bag with a nice safe run to huge disappointment.

This isn't like Kristina Groves or Erik Guay who missed bronze medals by 0.06 seconds, because it was out of their control and they simply got bested. Hollingsworth, unfortunately, beat herself. If she wasn't a medal favorite or in a position to win a medal, it would be different.

I can't and won't take away her dedication and effort. She's an amazing athlete. It was simply frustrating because she had a medal for the taking and missed out on it.

In hindsight I was a bit harsh in my original post, but I still feel very disappointed.

Has anyone heard Jim Hunter on Fan 960 criticising the athletes who are not performing up to their expectations? He is just brutal in his criticism, basically calling them failures. He has been there as an athlete so his opinion has some merit from that standpoint, but it sure sounds like he is carrying some baggage around from when he was basically shown the door by the Canadian team.

Has anyone heard Jim Hunter on Fan 960 criticising the athletes who are not performing up to their expectations? He is just brutal in his criticism, basically calling them failures. He has been there as an athlete so his opinion has some merit from that standpoint, but it sure sounds like he is carrying some baggage around from when he was basically shown the door by the Canadian team.

Outside of falling short a few times, I'm very proud of the athletes so far. My only real complaint is with the skiers. The whole "we know this mountain best" routine hasn't lead to a single medal yet. I'd be shocked if our skiers got us a medal these olympics based on the way things are going. Only Erik Guay and Britt Janyk look like they have a shot.

911 what pisses me off is you don't use your words more carefully. If your frustrated fine. I was too. Not mad at her though. That is acceptable behavior. But saying she choked or was an embarrassment or anything of that nature is unacceptable to monumental proportions. The thing about a mistake is just that. It is a mistake. No matter who you are, where you are how hard you have worked or how lazy and as much of a failure you are. From all facets of everything a MISTAKE is a MISTAKE and that is what makes us human and not machines. And no matter who you are in this world there is rarely a MISTAKE that you make that given the opportunity to travel back in time you wouldn't do differently to avoid.

So that all being said just take it easy on Melissa. She tried hard and missed it by a tiny mistake that she is excused for as she is human just like the rest of us.

911 what pisses me off is you don't use your words more carefully. If your frustrated fine. I was too. Not mad at her though. That is acceptable behavior. But saying she choked or was an embarrassment or anything of that nature is unacceptable to monumental proportions. The thing about a mistake is just that. It is a mistake. No matter who you are, where you are how hard you have worked or how lazy and as much of a failure you are. From all facets of everything a MISTAKE is a MISTAKE and that is what makes us human and not machines. And no matter who you are in this world there is rarely a MISTAKE that you make that given the opportunity to travel back in time you wouldn't do differently to avoid.

So that all being said just take it easy on Melissa. She tried hard and missed it by a tiny mistake that she is excused for as she is human just like the rest of us.

I have a degree in English, so few use their words more carefully than I do. When I made that post, I meant every word. I still feel some of what I said but to a lesser degree. Over the last few hours my feelings have softened, but I don't regret using the words that I did. That's simply how I felt at the time; it was my initial gut reaction. I am not taking my words back or trying desperately to look good and appear more supportive. I could care less what you think. I am entitled to my opinion and you can't change that. People do make mistakes. Melissa made one and it cost her -- simple fact. I would never hold that against her. It is the result of that mistake that is frustrating. I want Canada to do well.

I feel compelled to ask you how you responded when you heard Michael Douglas was disqualified from Men's Skeleton because he was late in removing the covers for his blades. The guy had a legitimate shot at a bronze medal and couldn't even meet regulation. That's embarrassing no matter how you cut it. Got any way to twist that one with your positivity?

Rules are Rules and at an Olympic level as we know from pot smoking snowboarders and Ben Johnson they must be followed or there is a consequence. I have no qualms with that. I bet too that he won't make that same mistake twice as unfortunate and embarrassing as it was and is.

I want Canada to do well too but I fail to see how cutting down those who didn't quite make it changes that result in any way, shape or form.

So tell me in your high command of English just how it is that negatively cutting down athletes of your country you supposedly support is supposed to somehow get them to do better than they are doing?

Yea you are entitled to your opinion but in reality you may have a degree in English but it is that English you are using that shows you really don't know what you are talking about.