Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hockey_Canada1

2010 Winter Olympics

328 posts in this topic

A Canada win against the USA is so crucial to get the bye and avoid the Qualification Playoff!

The following table shows the current seeding assuming I interpreted the seeding rules correctly.

If the round robin ended now we would play Norway with the winner playing Sweden in the Quarter Finals. 

Preliminary Round Standings After 2 Games

Rank Team Group Pts Goal Goals
    Rank   Diff For
1D FIN C1 6 9 10
2D USA A1 6 7 9
3D CZE B1 6 5 8
4D SWE C2 6 4 6
5D CAN A2 5 9 11
6D RUS B2 4 5 9
7D SVK B3 2 -1 3
8D SUI A3 1 -3 3
9D BLR C3 0 -6 3
10D GER C4 0 -7 0
11D LAT B4 0 -9 4
12D NOR A4 0 -13 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='flames-fan-911 wrote:


terrainman1']
911 what pisses me off is you don't use your words more carefully.
If your frustrated fine. I was too. Not mad at her though. That is acceptable behavior. But saying she choked or was an embarrassment or anything of that nature is unacceptable to monumental proportions. The thing about a mistake is just that. It is a mistake. No matter who you are, where you are how hard you have worked or how lazy and as much of a failure you are. From all facets of everything a MISTAKE is a MISTAKE and that is what makes us human and not machines. And no matter who you are in this world there is rarely a MISTAKE that you make that given the opportunity to travel back in time you wouldn't do differently to avoid.

So that all being said just take it easy on Melissa. She tried hard and missed it by a tiny mistake that she is excused for as she is human just like the rest of us.

I have a degree in English, so few use their words more carefully than I do. When I made that post, I meant every word. I still feel some of what I said but to a lesser degree. Over the last few hours my feelings have softened, but I don't regret using the words that I did. That's simply how I felt at the time; it was my initial gut reaction. I am not taking my words back or trying desperately to look good and appear more supportive. I could care less what you think. I am entitled to my opinion and you can't change that. People do make mistakes. Melissa made one and it cost her -- simple fact. I would never hold that against her. It is the result of that mistake that is frustrating. I want Canada to do well.

Maybe it's time to take a refresher class? tongue.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rules are Rules and at an Olympic level as we know from pot smoking snowboarders and Ben Johnson they must be followed or there is a consequence. I have no qualms with that. I bet too that he won't make that same mistake twice as unfortunate and embarrassing as it was and is.

I want Canada to do well too but I fail to see how cutting down those who didn't quite make it changes that result in any way, shape or form.

So tell me in your high command of English just how it is that negatively cutting down athletes of your country you supposedly support is supposed to somehow get them to do better than they are doing?

Yea you are entitled to your opinion but in reality you may have a degree in English but it is that English you are using that shows you really don't know what you are talking about.

Just because I said something negative doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about You're assuming that my goal is to change the results and help our athletes through negativity, which is crazy on your part. I'm expressing an opinion on an internet forum. That's it. If you don't like it or disagree, that's too bad.

EDIT: Just want to say that I am done with this conversation. Let's move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because I said something negative doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about
You're assuming that my goal is to change the results and help our athletes through negativity, which is crazy on your part. I'm expressing an opinion on an internet forum. That's it. If you don't like it or disagree, that's too bad.

This is correct, Don our resident Canuck troll often comes on here with critical comments about our beloved Flames and to everyone's discomfort states them, but he is 'sometimes' quite accurate, that is why we like him. wink.gif But regardless, everyone is entitled to their view, you don't have to agree. 

I see both sides of this debate. On Terrainman's side I think he gets the Olympic Creed, in fact I think he even applies it to our Flames even when he doesn't have to, so uncompromising is his support.

The Olympic Creed

"The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph, but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered, but to have fought well."

For Flames-Fan I think his/her view will be the more common one and actually have more intensity post-Olympics this time than it ever has based on what I am already reading as posts on newspapers and on-line. The Vancouver Games via the "Own the Podium" program put medal winning front and centre for the Canadian public instead of the Olympic Creed. Don't lambast me for bringing up YET again, but in Calgary 88 we put the Creed first probably because we knew we weren't going to win that many medals, as much as for any other reason, so a successful games for us at that time had nothing to do with winning medals but hoping for them instead We were likely trying to downplay the medal chances even at the time, now that I think about it.  

The desire for Canada to win high amounts of medals in international competitions has been a constant theme. The problem I think we have now is that in the past there was always the excuse of under-funding from the Government etc. This time though there is no excuse, the Canadian athletes have gotten unprecedented financial support and Vancouver has even broken Olympic tradition and restricted access to the sliding, ice and hill sites in an attempt to stack the deck even further for medals. 

Medals not being delivered in this context as expected and this is going to provoke the harshest counter-attack ever because what is the excuse now ? We may not like what Flames-Fan has to say here but it is probably going to be a growing chorus from the Canadian people because in the past there was the excuse of a lack of financial support. This time the critique will be broader than just sport fans, it will include people who are not sports fans who will ask why their tax dollars were spent in this way with no result. 

Note: I am a huge sports fan and Olympic supporter, so I personally am glad that my tax dollars goes to support the Games BUT I still think a lot of other people now may not be so thrilled. In the past they probably never cared and never commented, now with their money being spent via taxes they will be more likely to weigh in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because I said something negative doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about You're assuming that my goal is to change the results and help our athletes through negativity, which is crazy on your part. I'm expressing an opinion on an internet forum. That's it. If you don't like it or disagree, that's too bad.

EDIT: Just want to say that I am done with this conversation. Let's move on.

911 it is not an assumption. What I am trying to point out is that your comments come across as cutting, negative and scolding in fact to Melissa Hollingsworth but yet you say you support your athletes to your death?

Being mad because of the mistake that obviously was outside Melissa's control at the time it happened is fine. The whole country, yourself, myself and even Melissa were mad and angry about it happening. Somehow trying to point out fault and direct that aggression at her as an attack isn't nice at all. Is her mistake reason to call her an embarrassment or that she choked to monumental proportions? Was that mistake something she consciously set out to do?

To me and many, the difference between those two perspectives are very contradictory in fact not assumption and that damages and questions your credibility. Hence why I stated you don't know what you are talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='terrainman1 wrote:


flames-fan-911']
Just because I said something negative doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about You're assuming that my goal is to change the results and help our athletes through negativity, which is crazy on your part
. I'm expressing an opinion on an internet forum. That's it. If you don't like it or disagree, that's too bad.

EDIT: Just want to say that I am done with this conversation. Let's move on.

911 it is not an assumption. What I am trying to point out is that your comments come across as cutting, negative and scolding in fact to Melissa Hollingsworth but yet you say you support your athletes to your death?

Being mad because of the mistake that obviously was outside Melissa's control at the time it happened is fine. The whole country, yourself, myself and even Melissa were mad and angry about it happening. Somehow trying to point out fault and direct that aggression at her as an attack isn't nice at all. Is her mistake reason to call her an embarrassment or that she choked to monumental proportions? Was that mistake something she consciously set out to do?

To me and many, the difference between those two perspectives are very contradictory in fact not assumption and that damages and questions your credibility. Hence why I stated you don't know what you are talking about.

Supporting our athletes and supporting their performances are two different things. I will always support my athletes to death. Supporting their performances depends entirely on how they do. There is no contradiction there, and therefore no damage to my credibility. Okay?

Moving on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well make that another event where the US gets a medal and Canada doesn't (Women's Super-G). So much for "owning the podium" eh?

The alpine team has been incredibly disappointing so far. The only bright spot so far for alpine skiing for Canada is Erik Guay, who in my mind deserves at least a medal. He finishes 3/100ths of a second out of a medal. Certainly tough luck.

As for Osborne-Paradis, Dixon, etc. I couldn't be more disappointed. These guys are local boys (from the Whistler area) and they couldn't even get into serious medal contention in their two races.

Oh well, I guess there's Sochi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well make that another event where the US gets a medal and Canada doesn't (Women's Super-G). So much for "owning the podium" eh?

The alpine team has been incredibly disappointing so far. The only bright spot so far for alpine skiing for Canada is Erik Guay, who in my mind deserves at least a medal. He finishes 3/100ths of a second out of a medal. Certainly tough luck.

As for Osborne-Paradis, Dixon, etc. I couldn't be more disappointed. These guys are local boys (from the Whistler area) and they couldn't even get into serious medal contention in their two races.

Oh well, I guess there's Sochi.

100% agreed. I'm still trying to figure out when our skiers are going to live up to their words: "this is our mountain" and "I know this mountain like the back of my hand" and "we have the advantage" etc.

But watch out. You aren't allowed to express anything but positivity in this thread. Apparently any form of criticism means you don't know what you're talking about or you aren't a true supporter. wink.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is correct, Don our resident Canuck troll often comes on here with critical comments about our beloved Flames and to everyone's discomfort states them, but he is 'sometimes' quite accurate, that is why we like him. wink.gif But regardless, everyone is entitled to their view, you don't have to agree. 

I see both sides of this debate. On Terrainman's side I think he gets the Olympic Creed, in fact I think he even applies it to our Flames even when he doesn't have to, so uncompromising is his support.

The Olympic Creed

"The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph, but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered, but to have fought well."

For Flames-Fan I think his/her view will be the more common one and actually have more intensity post-Olympics this time than it ever has based on what I am already reading as posts on newspapers and on-line. The Vancouver Games via the "Own the Podium" program put medal winning front and centre for the Canadian public instead of the Olympic Creed. Don't lambast me for bringing up YET again, but in Calgary 88 we put the Creed first probably because we knew we weren't going to win that many medals, as much as for any other reason, so a successful games for us at that time had nothing to do with winning medals but hoping for them instead We were likely trying to downplay the medal chances even at the time, now that I think about it.  

The desire for Canada to win high amounts of medals in international competitions has been a constant theme. The problem I think we have now is that in the past there was always the excuse of under-funding from the Government etc. This time though there is no excuse, the Canadian athletes have gotten unprecedented financial support and Vancouver has even broken Olympic tradition and restricted access to the sliding, ice and hill sites in an attempt to stack the deck even further for medals. 

Medals not being delivered in this context as expected and this is going to provoke the harshest counter-attack ever because what is the excuse now ? We may not like what Flames-Fan has to say here but it is probably going to be a growing chorus from the Canadian people because in the past there was the excuse of a lack of financial support. This time the critique will be broader than just sport fans, it will include people who are not sports fans who will ask why their tax dollars were spent in this way with no result. 

Note: I am a huge sports fan and Olympic supporter, so I personally am glad that my tax dollars goes to support the Games BUT I still think a lot of other people now may not be so thrilled. In the past they probably never cared and never commented, now with their money being spent via taxes they will be more likely to weigh in. 
You are very right Flame111. I grew up very passionate about sport like yourself and too with the whole creed of the Olympics and Sportsmanship being drilled into me so as to become a fundamental belief.

In 1988 you are very right that the emphasis wasn't to win a bunch of medals rather put on the best show, build the best most state of the art venues and express what this country could offer in the way of volunteers and just generally good, warm, welcoming and happy people.

Now the Own the Podium program has come in and the government essentially has started putting tax payer dollars towards the development of athletes. With this redirection of money also comes great questions on the part of the tax payers. But the truth is they really don't have any control as to how their tax dollars are being spent anyhow. It is all just an illusion to make the masses believe they have some sort of control but they really don't. So getting mad about that is far better served in coming up with a different political system that is much more advanced than we have as opposed to verbally attacking the athletes that benefited from the additional funding. People are dumb however and are going to somehow think it is their right to be negative and their right to speak out but in reality it is a waste of their energy cause it is not going to change much.

The whole mindset is on the all mighty dollar which is sad. What the volunteers and people involved with the Olympics are going to take away from the experience is a plethora of memories and good experiences and ultimately those things have tremendous value. Maybe even more value than money because 20 years down the road all of those people are going to be able to reflect on some happy, interesting or impactual experience that they encountered in 2010 at the Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver.

It is those who don't get the opportunity to go there or take part in the games however that are going to criticize the most. Somehow their Tax Dollars (A very small portion of them might I add) are going towards something they only really get the opportunity to watch on the TV and what experience can be brought out from that? Those are the people who will be hookinging and crying later on and the bottom line is they didn't get much value from the Games. At least Value they can recognize.

Ultimately people can't really complain about the money spent on the Olympics when they can look across the ocean at Dubai and see bar setting ridiculous expenditures that amount to enough monetary funds to completely annihilate poverty or hunger across the Globe. The Olympics pales in comparison to Dubai no matter where the games are being held. People put forth that effort, man power, volunteer support and money for a very valuable cause. That Cause is what will bring forth within ones self a sense of belonging, a sense of patriotism and pried like no other. It is the recognition of that fact that people need to understand and people need to embrace.

It is an ongoing story that is unfolding year after year and never really ends. It is Melissa Hollingsworth not making the podium this time around but persevering and working hard and winning Gold in Russia in 4 years time. It is people like Jeremy Witherspoon who have tried and tried again and again but always had difficulties at the Olympics that creates a story to follow. It is a young man who has extraordinary drive and perseverance with a disabled brother he looks up to incredibly that creates a story to follow.

The interest perked by some of these little stories that are unfolding right as we speak are that of which will impact our youth years and years down the road to give them memories and fond thoughts when reflecting on the Olympic Games.

I have my own as you do yours when thinking of the 88 games and nothing can ever take away that kind of value from us.

I truly pity and feel sad for those who fail to understand that it isn't a tangible object or a stack of money which gives us value from the games and striving in that direction. There is so much more with much higher value that we all have the wondrous opportunity to get from the Games being hosted on our home soil. I truly hope the mindset shifts into that understanding as it can greatly benefit us all as Canadians.

Sometimes we all let our negative emotions reign. The sadness that can be created from that though is that we will miss out. We will overlook and ignore some of the other things that are going on and not really have anything to reflect on with fondness. My hopes are that people realize there is a lot of good that comes from Olympic Games being hosted on our soil and the results may not be instant. They are going to come years down the road when we think back at how a Calderon arm didn't come up and get a giggle at that situation. Or how a devastating death of Nodar happened even prior to the games but they pushed through it despite the sadness and emotion involved at the time. How Alexandre won the first Gold on home soil and how for a time there was 90% of Canada's Population within 100km radios of Vancouver, Whistler and Cypress. People can think back to what an extraordinary personality John Montgomery is, trying to auction off his beer jug while being interviewed and how hard he tried in the name if the Canadian Taxpayers to win Gold.

There will be a million memories for all of us to share and reflect on. My hopes are that the negativity doesn't cloud over it all and as many people can take away from these games what they were meant to take from it all.

Memories, Pried, Belonging, Patriotism, Admiration, Hope, Enthusiasm, Energy and a sense that we as Canadians are a very Great People admired across the globe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do the math, and break down the medal:population ratio, we're actually performing the best of any country ahead of us.

Have there been disappointments?  Yes.  Have there been surprises?  Big time.  I'm proud of all our athletes, even when they come short.  No-one feels worse than them, so I don't see a point in trashing them.  I find it incredibly callous that people like us would do such a thing.  You have to be amazing to be in the Olympics in the first time, and they deserve nothing but admiration for that accomplishment.

All these comments about "Owning the Podium", and saying that we're failing, are completely unfounded.  A lot of our best events come in the second half of the Olympics, and while there have been some disappointments, there have been some surprises.  A lot of these sports are won by hundredths of seconds and inches.  It's incredibly hard to win, and I think we're doing good so far maintaining 4th in the medal standings.

I wanted two things this Olympics:
-Win a gold medal at home
-Win hockey.

I'm very happy thus far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do the math, and break down the medal:population ratio, we're actually performing the best of any country ahead of us.

Have there been disappointments?  Yes.  Have there been surprises?  Big time.  I'm proud of all our athletes, even when they come short.  No-one feels worse than them, so I don't see a point in trashing them.  I find it incredibly callous that people like us would do such a thing.  You have to be amazing to be in the Olympics in the first time, and they deserve nothing but admiration for that accomplishment.

All these comments about "Owning the Podium", and saying that we're failing, are completely unfounded.  A lot of our best events come in the second half of the Olympics, and while there have been some disappointments, there have been some surprises.  A lot of these sports are won by hundredths of seconds and inches.  It's incredibly hard to win, and I think we're doing good so far maintaining 4th in the medal standings.

I wanted two things this Olympics:
-Win a gold medal at home
-Win hockey.

I'm very happy thus far.
Hey Codes, aside from your "medal:population ratio", I have a theory about why Canada doesn't always do that well in the Winter Olympics.

When it comes to males, we are a hockey nation first and foremost. Hockey is the sport that most of us attempt to excel at. Hockey attracts the majority of our best male athletes, and this would all be fine if 22 medals were given to the gold medal winning hockey team, but that's not the way it works. The kid who could have been a gold medal Olympian in speed skating is instead Sidney Crosby, or maybe even a 6th defenceman for the Manitoba Moose, because like most Canadian males, they chose hockey first. And I don't think it's hyperbolic to suggest that there is a pool of thousands of Canadian hockey players of considerable skill, some of who could have excelled at other Olympic sports had they not chosen hockey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/cross-country-skiing/news/newsid=47724.html#babikov+sets+canadian+best+hellner+wins+gold

Canadians enjoy a very great race.

Ivan Babikov finishes just 7 seconds off the podium, finishing in 5th place

George Grey finishes in 8th place

Alex Harvey finishes in 9th place in his 1st Olympics

Devon Kershaw finishes in 16th place

Marcus Hellner wins the gold

Tobias Angerer wins silver

Johan Olsson wins bronze

Overall, a great race for the Canadians. Babikov comes very close to winning Canada's first cross-country medal in these games, and all four Canadians finish in the Top 20 in a very talented and deep race.

GO CANADA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If you do the math, and break down the medal:population ratio, we're actually performing the best of any country ahead of us.

You might want to check your math with respect to Norway.  Nonetheless, 4th overall so far is pretty good.  Where is Russia for instance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bobsleigh

Watch out for Lascelles Brown and Lyndon Rush. They could sneak onto the podium in a race generally dominated by the Germans.

Don't be surprised either by Jesse Lusmden and Pierre Lueders. Lueders is the most decorated Canadian bobsleigher in World Cup and Olympic history.

Kaillie Humphries and Heather Brown have multiple world cup wins this season. They are a serious medal threat at these games. And don't be surprised if Canada's #2 team is challenging for the podium as they have shown this past world cup season.

Short Track Speed Skating

Charles Hamelin is a serious medal threat in the 1000 m. Don't be surprised if he's challenging the Koreans.

Kalyna Roberge is ranked #3 in the world in women's short track. She's another medal threat in the 1500 m tonight, as well as the 1000 m next week.

Canadian women's 3000 m relay team and men's 5000 m relay team both stand very good chances of medaling next week.

Speed Skating

Denny Morrison will have it tough today in the 1500 m with Chad Hedrick and Shani Davis both being in the field. He could touch the podium and get Canada its first men's speed skating medal of these games.

Clara Hughes is the silver medalist from the 5000 m in Torino. She stands a very good chance of repeating as a medalist these games

Christine Nesbitt could get yet another medal for herself in these games in 1500 m tomorrow.

The women's team pursuit is currently ranked #1 in the world. Their greatest competition? The Dutch. Look for another medal for the canadian speed skating women.

Ski Cross

Chris Del Bosco is another medal threat in this event that is making its Olympic Winter Games debut.

Ashleigh McIvor is currently ranked #1 in the world in her event. She stands a very great chance of medaling at these games.

Ice Dancing

Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir currently sit in 2nd place after the compulsory dance, only one point back of the World Champions, the Russians.

Figure Skating

Joannie Rochette is ranked #4 in the world currently in her event, and stands a good chance of reaching the podium.

Ice Hockey

Men and women's teams. DUH!

Parallel GS

Jasey-Jay Anderson and Caroline Calve are both serious medal threats to medal in the parallel giant slalom next week.

Curling

Kevin Martin is tearing away the competition so far in the tournament. His real test will be against the highly-touted Brits tonight. Should be a measuring stick if he's capable of winning the gold medal.

Cheryl Bernard also stands an excellent shot at being on the podium. Her team currently sits 4-0 along with the Swedes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Though not a Canadian Athlete Petra Majdic Of Slovenia must be recognised for her accomplishment.
As an admirer of amazing feats of energy, drive and patriotism Tiny Ninja commends and congratulates Petra for her Bronze Medal Win.

03937.jpg
Date of Birth:

December 22, 1979
Birthplace: Dol pri Ljubljani, Slovenia
Residence: Brinje, Slovenia
Ht: / Wt: 5'10" / 148 lbs
Club: SD Atrans Trojane
Coach: Hudac Ivan
Language Spoken: Slovenian, English, German
Occupation: athlete
Pronunciation: PAY-truh MY-ditch
Previous Competitions: Salt Lake City (2002)Turin (2006)

Majdic was injured during a warm-up when she hit an icy patch on thecourse and fell into a gully. After the race, Majdic was taken tohospital and diagnosed with four broken ribs and a collapsed lung.Despite the injuries, Majdic, who was a gold medal contender, won thebronze medal.


What an amazing super human feat to accomplish despite her injuries.
Congratulations Petra!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I agree, Chairman.

Our funding for sports is definitely poured into a select few sports.  Own the Podium was designed to help fund more athletes so they can hone their skills with less financial distractions.  I believe that if Canada continues to fund our athletes like other countries do (ie: Own the Podium), we'll see a marked improvement in future Olympic standings.  Canada doesn't support amateur sport like other countries do, but I believe we're trying to do better to match countries like the US and Australia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='C_worthy wrote:


Codes']If you do the math, and break down the medal:population ratio, we're actually performing the best of any country ahead of us.

You might want to check your math with respect to Norway.  Nonetheless, 4th overall so far is pretty good.  Where is Russia for instance?

Yeah, I think the calculation was done before Norway exploded with medals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I agree, Chairman.

Our funding for sports is definitely poured into a select few sports.  Own the Podium was designed to help fund more athletes so they can hone their skills with less financial distractions.  I believe that if Canada continues to fund our athletes like other countries do (ie: Own the Podium), we'll see a marked improvement in future Olympic standings.  Canada doesn't support amateur sport like other countries do, but I believe we're trying to do better to match countries like the US and Australia.
This brings up a point that everyone is missing.

The purpose of Own the Podium was to better support the athletes financially and throughout all winter sports. The goal was to win the most medals. If you ask me, the program has been a success because it followed through on it's purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='The_Don wrote:


Codes']Oh, I agree, Chairman.

Our funding for sports is definitely poured into a select few sports.  Own the Podium was designed to help fund more athletes so they can hone their skills with less financial distractions.  I believe that if Canada continues to fund our athletes like other countries do (ie: Own the Podium), we'll see a marked improvement in future Olympic standings.  Canada doesn't support amateur sport like other countries do, but I believe we're trying to do better to match countries like the US and Australia.

This brings up a point that everyone is missing.

The purpose of Own the Podium was to better support the athletes financially and throughout all winter sports. The goal was to win the most medals. If you ask me, the program has been a success because it followed through on it's purpose.

How do figure that? We're sitting fifth in medal count and nowhere near 1st or even 2nd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='flames-fan-911 wrote:


The_Don wrote:

Codes']Oh, I agree, Chairman.

Our funding for sports is definitely poured into a select few sports.  Own the Podium was designed to help fund more athletes so they can hone their skills with less financial distractions.  I believe that if Canada continues to fund our athletes like other countries do (ie: Own the Podium), we'll see a marked improvement in future Olympic standings.  Canada doesn't support amateur sport like other countries do, but I believe we're trying to do better to match countries like the US and Australia.

This brings up a point that everyone is missing.

The purpose of Own the Podium was to better support the athletes financially and throughout all winter sports.
The goal was to win the most medals.
If you ask me,
the program has been a success
because it followed through on it's purpose.

How do figure that? We're sitting fifth in medal count and nowhere near 1st or even 2nd.

Are the Olympics over?

They've been saying since the beginning that Canada's best events come in the 2nd week of the games...

We have suffered some disappointments, and it looks like we won't win the medal count, but there are still a lot of events left that we are hopeful in.

Sick of people trashing these athletes, saying they're failures, and that we wasted our money on them.  Get over yourselves, and be thankful we eve have athletes participating and that we have had success.  We should be behind our athletes win, or lose.  No-one feels worse than them, and as if they need a bunch of bums slandering them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[quote name='Codes wrote:


flames-fan-911 wrote:

The_Don']This brings up a point that everyone is missing.

The purpose of Own the Podium was to better support the athletes financially and throughout all winter sports.
The goal was to win the most medals.
If you ask me,
the program has been a success
because it followed through on it's purpose.

How do figure that? We're sitting
fifth
in medal count and nowhere near 1st or even 2nd.

Are the Olympics over?

They've been saying since the beginning that Canada's best events come in the 2nd week of the games...

We have suffered some disappointments, and it looks like we won't win the medal count, but there are still a lot of events left that we are hopeful in.

Sick of people trashing these athletes, saying they're failures, and that we wasted our money on them.  Get over yourselves, and be thankful we eve have athletes participating and that we have had success.  We should be behind our athletes win, or lose.  No-one feels worse than them, and as if they need a bunch of bums slandering them.

Just pointing out an irrefutable fact. Canada sits 5th in medals and is nowhere near 1st or even 2nd. I don't see how "own the podium" has been a success. Canada needs an absolutely amazing second week if it is going to recover from its start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oh, I agree, Chairman.

Our funding for sports is definitely poured into a select few sports.  Own the Podium was designed to help fund more athletes so they can hone their skills with less financial distractions.  I believe that if Canada continues to fund our athletes like other countries do (ie: Own the Podium), we'll see a marked improvement in future Olympic standings.  Canada doesn't support amateur sport like other countries do, but I believe we're trying to do better to match countries like the US and Australia.
Not to nitpick but the US does nothing to support their athletes from the government perspective.  What I am curious to see if Own the Podium was designed for these games only or if it will continue, as it stands summer athletes are the ones left in the cold when it comes to assistance.  I agree with The Don in that OTP has shown to be an early success, but I would like to see equality between all amateur athletes.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Canada was choketastic today. Not a good day for Canadian athletes (Martin beating Murdoch the only real bright spot).

Lyndon Rush and Lascelles Brown crash, which puts away their medal hopes. It's too bad. They looked so strong in their first run and suddenly just like that their podium hopes have ended.

Charles and Francois Hamelin didn't have the legs in the final to beat the Koreans and Ohno. They went out way too fast in the beginning and they paid the consequences at the very end.

No Kalyna Roberge in the Women's 1500 m Final. She's ranked 3rd in the world. Talk about underachieving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Canada was choketastic today. Not a good day for Canadian athletes (Martin beating Murdoch the only real bright spot).

Lyndon Rush and Lascelles Brown crash, which puts away their medal hopes. It's too bad. They looked so strong in their first run and suddenly just like that their podium hopes have ended.

Charles and Francois Hamelin didn't have the legs in the final to beat the Koreans and Ohno. They went out way too fast in the beginning and they paid the consequences at the very end.

No Kalyna Roberge in the Women's 1500 m Final. She's ranked 3rd in the world. Talk about underachieving.

Don't forget about Denny Morrison in the Men's 1500m Final. Holds the world's second fastest time in that distance (second only to Shani Davis who now has a gold and a silver medal) and finished 9th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hands up anyone who doesn't think our athletes are performing to the absolute best of their abilities?

I don't like the "Own The Podium" promotion and I never have, because it sets ourselves up for the exact type of comments that we are seeing here; that anything less than a first place is a failure. However, setting a goal in the first place is never a bad thing. A goal may not be achieved but that doesn't make it any less worthy. Some things however, are best not made into an international campaign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.