The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hockey_Canada1

2010 Winter Olympics

WHAT AN INCREDIBLE DAY!

I'm so stoked!  The ladies are cleaning up!

And hockey...need I say more?

GO CANADA GO

A great day for Canada. The march for most gold medals continues. Next hurdles: winning the semi-final games in men's and women's curling tomorrow to play for gold and winning gold in woman's hockey tomorrow. That would be huge.

1 more Gold medal and we will beat the Canadian Olympic Winter Games Gold Medal count record of 7 Golds.

3 more we will tie and 4 more we will break the most Golds ever won at a Summer or Winter Olympic Games with 10 Golds in Los Angeles in 1984.

Here is to breaking the Gold Medal Count Record Beer.gif

1 more Gold medal and we will beat the Canadian Olympic Winter Games Gold Medal count record of 7 Golds.

3 more we will tie and 4 more we will break the most Golds ever won at a Summer or Winter Olympic Games with 10 Golds in Los Angeles in 1984.

Here is to breaking the Gold Medal Count Record Beer.gif

I'm with you. We will surpass every 1 of those.

Adding the Men's Hockey Gold will just put icing on that.

Go Canada!

Guest jsheajr

Flyerfan you silly boy, you gone and done it. The rules of fandom clearly stipulate you are NEVER NEVER to wish your team to any championship BEFORE they actually get it. Gahhhhhhhh

surly you know the "break a leg" rules. Now we have to wish one of players to break something. ummmm may the Zamboni break down again.... there, may the glass break.

Gahahahahahahghhkkkkkkkkkkgak......

courageous

Courageousness pronunciation/kəˈreɪthinsp.pngdʒəs/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled[kuh-rey-juhthinsp.pngs]
–adjective
possessing or characterized by courage; brave: a courageous speech against the dictator.
Origin:
1250–1300; ME corageous < AF curajous, OF corageus, equiv. to corage courage + -eus -eous

2010 Winter Olympic Games Vancouver British Columbia Canada by one JOANNIE ROCHETTE

CONGRATULATIONS MY NEW HERO
JOANNIE ROCHETTE FOR WINNING THE BRONZE MEDAL AND BRINGING CANADA'S MEDAL COUNT UP TO 17
WHAT AN OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY YOU.
IT'S ALL YOURS GIRL
Bronse.jpgCanada_Flag.gif

I have re-written this post a dozen times to try and keep my language neutral because I am genuinely curious what others have to say. I feel pretty strongly on it but I don't want to intimidate anyone else from commenting.

Topic - Women's Hockey Team goes on-ice with booze and cigars.

http://sports.yahoo.com/o...key-team-?urn=oly,224338

Issues

(1) The legal drinking age in B.C. is 19, Poulin is 18 and is photographed clearly drinking. No matter how you want to spin this, it is a crime, it is breaking the law. This fact cannot be avoided.

(2) Does this help or hurt female hockey which is being rumored to be cut from the next Games?

(3) Does this image of professional Canadian athletes celebrating bother you, American female players were in tears after this game in what is basically a two-team tournament, should the celebration have been kept in the dressing room? If not, would Americans doing the same thing have bothered you if they won ?

(4) Note that American Scotty Lago, who won a bronze in halfpipe, voluntarily left the games after a photo surfaced of a woman kneeling below his waist to kiss the medal and this was in his own private life.

(5) The IOC is investigating at this point and the harshest comments are calling for the hockey team to be stripped of their Gold medal.

(6) The smoking and drinking in a Team Canada jersey is considered by some as a bad example to children not just in Canada but everywhere.

Thoughts ? Discussion ?

There are 27 pics or so in the link so you can get a feel for what was going on and also instead of being wrapped up in Canadian fever, try to imagine the Americans doing this and how we would react. That may help understand how the rest of the world sees this...

They were way over the line doing that on the ice in their uniforms - the booze and cigars should have been kept to the dressing room.

Not to belittle this (because it was definitely innapropriate) but when I heard they were doing these things on the ice, I thought it was while the other teams and the crowd were still there.  At least it was after, in an empty arera, but nonetheless, it is not classy behavior.

As for stripping them of their medals, that is ridiculous - the medals were earned, it's not like they cheated (drugs) or anything.  The bad behavior afterward is unfortunate, but it is still afterwards.

Does it hurt women's hockey?  Maybe a bit - certainly it is bad timing - but what it hurts is the image of Canadian athletes.

Very unfortunate behavior.

They were way over the line doing that on the ice in their uniforms - the booze and cigars should have been kept to the dressing room.

Not to belittle this (because it was definitely innapropriate) but when I heard they were doing these things on the ice, I thought it was while the other teams and the crowd were still there.  At least it was after, in an empty arera, but nonetheless, it is not classy behavior.

As for stripping them of their medals, that is ridiculous - the medals were earned, it's not like they cheated (drugs) or anything.  The bad behavior afterward is unfortunate, but it is still afterwards.

Does it hurt women's hockey?  Maybe a bit - certainly it is bad timing - but what it hurts is the image of Canadian athletes.

Very unfortunate behavior.

I am going to hold my tongue on this, I agree with you about keeping the medals, hope the IOC does too. 

I've mentioned this topic before but at the Olympics the media of the world is there. They are like paparazzi and Vancouver and our athletes are the celebrity. I previously wrote that it is like being a celebrity in front of the world for 17 days and Vancouver has to get it right. It isn't about doing something good, so much as not doing anything bad and giving the press their negative tabloid article. 

We stepped into it 'again'. frown.gif

Flame111 this is though merited enough to write a story about via the media can be more so blamed on the media.

Let's face it, these girls are under the control of their coach and directors and are going to do what they are seemingly allowed to do.

That being said, yes maybe celebrating in the dressing room now is looking like a much better and more appropriate reaction to their win. The article clearly states that Canada Hockey Place had pretty much emptied out and the only people left were the team and their support staff along with various media personnel.

I see this 100% the Media's fault and only partially an oversight on the directors of the team to direct the team behind close doors for their celebration.

Yes the legal age for drinking is 19 in B.C. but of all reasons for the opportunity to have a celebratory drink do you not think winning a Gold Medal after your sacrifice and effort put forth is reason enough to do so.

This is ridiculous IMO and shame on the Media for blowing it up as they are only hurting their own in doing so. SHAME SHAME ON  YOU MEDIA!!!!!!!

As to the women from Team Canada celebrating after winning Olympic Gold, it should be a non-story. The pressure is off so they're cutting loose. The arena is empty save staff & media. If they had kept it in the dressing room, the media would be @ the door trying to find a story in that.

The fact Poulin is 18 & the drinking age is BC is 19 just shows the stupidity & lack of consistency in Canadian liquor laws. If the games were held in a different province she'd be legal.

USA is kicking Finland. To think I was expecting a goaltender duel.

As to the women from Team Canada celebrating after winning Olympic Gold, it should be a non-story. The pressure is off so they're cutting loose. The arena is empty save staff & media. If they had kept it in the dressing room, the media would be @ the door trying to find a story in that.

agreed.  the original story that broke made it sound like they were drinking while the stadium was full and cameras rolling.   its like my company having a christmas party at our office and people have a couple drinks.  not a big deal.  i kinda wish the women got drunk and started making out and undressing eachother.  THAT would have been a story

i hope this doesn't shake the kipper's confidence when he comes back the NHL....

He'll be OK. He saw what was happening & pulled himself. Smart!

With Gold denied, he'll re-double his effort to win the Stanley Cup.

My God, 4 goals on 7 shots for Kipper.

Worst game ever for Kipper ? I can not recall a worse one. I'm not saying anything else here. censored.gif

Oh well NBC is going to get the match-up it wants for the highest ratings. Canada-USA...

Im embarassed to be a Finn right now. The first goal was all Kipper's, but after that the team just crumbled and there was nothing to save us. Who the hell scores our goals in the future ? Teemu IS our ONLY natural goal scorer. Were screwed in the Russian olympics.

I watched the first period in a full pub. After the first 15 minutes of the period the pub was almost empty.

Were destined to be the losers.

Pete, from Finland.

I'm with c_worthy on the women's hockey comments, too bad they did it, say sorry and move on. My suggestion would be, in the future, the team should be accompanied by a protocol advisor especially after a win.

Flame111 this is though merited enough to write a story about via the media can be more so blamed on the media.

Let's face it, these girls are under the control of their coach and directors and are going to do what they are seemingly allowed to do.

That being said, yes maybe celebrating in the dressing room now is looking like a much better and more appropriate reaction to their win. The article clearly states that Canada Hockey Place had pretty much emptied out and the only people left were the team and their support staff along with various media personnel.

I see this 100% the Media's fault and only partially an oversight on the directors of the team to direct the team behind close doors for their celebration.

Yes the legal age for drinking is 19 in B.C. but of all reasons for the opportunity to have a celebratory drink do you not think winning a Gold Medal after your sacrifice and effort put forth is reason enough to do so.

This is ridiculous IMO and shame on the Media for blowing it up as they are only hurting their own in doing so. SHAME SHAME ON  YOU MEDIA!!!!!!!

It's not the media's fault for bringing up something the IOC has a problem with.  As for the underage drinking thing, I did my fair bit of it so can't comment that what Poulin did was wrong, I'm sure it wasn't the first time she's done it either, but it is something that Hockey Canada shouldn't condone and the IOC doesn't want to promote underage drinking as okay as long as you win gold, they have several underage winners.  I don't think any punishment should be given though just the warning, I'm sure if they knew the IOC was against that type of thing they would have taken it elsewhere.

drinking age should be the same country wide.   so people in alberta are more responsible at 18 than people in bc? 

It used to be like that in the states too (It still may be, I am not familiar with all states laws regarding drinking).   When i was 12 or 13 I had gone on vacation to Kentucky (I am from Chicago, IL) this was like 93/94 i can recall specifically, my brother was looking forward tot he trip because he was 18 and the legal drinking age in kentucky was 18.  I am not sure if thats still the case, back in the 70's and 80's I am pretty sure most all states had an 18yo drinking age.

Regardless its pointless, I dont recall being anymore responsible at 21 than 18, everyone is irresponsible when they start drinking at first, responsibility comes with experience not age.   Not that that even matters, even with a 21 restriction, I dont know a soul that has not been drinking regularly since 18, unless they just flat out dont drink.

I personally see no problem witht what the Canadian women did, they won the gold let them celebrate.   the media shackles athletes with unreasonable personal expection's, they are people just like the rest of us.   I am not gonna get fired from my job for photos of drinking and partying, out playing around with women.   Like Kane, Versteeg, and Madden photos that surfaced from Vancouver, why did they have to apologize for that? The only thing they had to apologize for were the ugly %%+ hookinges they chose to pick up.