The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hockey_Canada1

2010 Winter Olympics

CONGRATULATIONS TO BERNARD, O'CONNOR, DARBYSHIRE AND BARTEL  FOR CANADA'S NEXT SILVER MEDAL. BRINGING THE MEDAL COUNT  UP TO 17 FOR CANADA.

Silver.jpg

BERNARD, O'CONNOR, DARBYSHIRE, BARTEL

Bunny04a.jpg

WOMEN'S HOCKEY TEAM CANADA

ShannonSzabados, Charline Labonte, Kim St-Pierre, Carla MacLeod, Becky Keller,Colleen Sostorics, Meaghan Mikkelson, Catherine Ward, Tessa Bonhomme,Meghan Agosta, Rebecca Johnson, Cherie Piper, Gillian Apps, CarolineOuellette, Jayna Hefford, Jennifer Botterill, Haley Irwin, HayleyWickenheiser, Sarah Vaillancourt, Gina Kingsbury, Marie-Philip Poulin

Bunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgSilver.jpgSilver.jpg

Bilodeau    Ricker       Nesbitt   Montgomery  Virtue&Moir   McIvor  Humphries & Moise   Heil       Robertson     

Silver.jpgSilver.jpg             Silver.jpg                            Silver.jpg         Bronse.jpgBronse.jpgBronse.jpg

St-Gelais    Groves       Gregg,Roberge,St-Gelais,Vincent           Upperton & Brown       Groves       Hughes    Rochette

canada.gif

Holy crap Kipper sucked today.
Did you watch? I listened on the Fan 960, wondering if it was as bad as it sounded and how much chance he had on the 4 he let in. I guess the one was a bad giveaway by Mikka.

Guest jsheajr

Have I entered some alternate reality dimension where we have MORE gold than USA? wowie! Meow is happy.,

[quote name='bigchief wrote:

Hockey_Canada1']Holy crap Kipper sucked today.

Did you watch? I listened on the Fan 960, wondering if it was as bad as it sounded and how much chance he had on the 4 he let in. I guess the one was a bad giveaway by Mikka.

The first one was a Brodeur-esque bonehead attempt to play the puck.

After the it was a combination of defensive lapses and Kipper not making any saves.

[quote name='bigchief wrote:

I blame him for the first and third goals against. The second was a complete defensive breakdown by Finland leaving him out to dry, while on the fourth I thought USA got away with goaltender interference. If Finland wanted to win this game, Kipper would have had to stand on his head which he didn't for once (better now than during the NHL season I suppose). Neither Kipper nor his team played well at all, as even after he was pulled the USA kept the odd man rushes coming. But hey, who are you going to pull- the defensemen who couldn't defend USA's speed? The forwards who only managed two or three crappy shots before the goalie change? Unfortunately for Kipper, the only guy who could be pulled was himself despite playing just as poorly as his teammates.

Another massive day for Canada. 2 golds, 1 silver, 1 bronze. Disappointing Bernard couldn't get Gold in Curling but she earned her silver and will be back with a vengeance next Olympics.

10 gold, tied for most ever at an Olympic games and leading these Winter games in gold. 3 shots to break the record -- Men's curling, Men's Hockey, Men's speed-skating team pursuit.

We also have at least 3 more medals coming with Curling, Hockey, and Men's speed-skating. They're a lock. Men's 4-man bobsleigh has Canada 1 in 2nd after 2/4 runs. Should hopefully be good for a silver.

Point is, Canada actually proved a lot of us (self included) wrong and owned the podium this year. Yes, they didn't finish first overall, but it's looking solid for finishing first in gold medals. They've crushed the golds they won last Olympics, and are going to likely exceed the 24 medals from 2006. We're locked to earn 24...we have a great shot for 25.

I just saw the relay. Wow! We've beat the Gold (the 1 that matters) count. That makes OTP worth it as I don't care about a bunch of Bronze.

Another massive day for Canada. 2 golds, 1 silver, 1 bronze. Disappointing Bernard couldn't get Gold in Curling but she earned her silver and will be back with a vengeance next Olympics.

10 gold, tied for most ever at an Olympic games and leading these Winter games in gold. 3 shots to break the record -- Men's curling, Men's Hockey, Men's speed-skating team pursuit.

We also have at least 3 more medals coming with Curling, Hockey, and Men's speed-skating. They're a lock. Men's 4-man bobsleigh has Canada 1 in 2nd after 2/4 runs. Should hopefully be good for a silver.

Point is, Canada actually proved a lot of us (self included) wrong and owned the podium this year. Yes, they didn't finish first overall, but it's looking solid for finishing first in gold medals. They've crushed the golds they won last Olympics, and are going to likely exceed the 24 medals from 2006. We're locked to earn 24...we have a great shot for 25.

I agree, after a dismal first week, Team Canada really pulled it out of the fire and delivered on the medals. From a medal perspective exclusively they really brought it home. Best Olympics ever from strictly the medal perspective for Team Canada. happy.gif

Light the stogies and crack the beers... (unless you are a Team Canada member in front of the international media, then wait till the closing ceremonies happy.gif )

[quote name='IggytoTanguay wrote:

bigchief wrote:

I blame him for the first and third goals against. The second was a complete defensive breakdown by Finland leaving him out to dry, while on the fourth I thought USA got away with goaltender interference. If Finland wanted to win this game, Kipper would have had to stand on his head which he didn't for once (better now than during the NHL season I suppose). Neither Kipper nor his team played well at all, as even after he was pulled the USA kept the odd man rushes coming. But hey, who are you going to pull- the defensemen who couldn't defend USA's speed? The forwards who only managed two or three crappy shots before the goalie change? Unfortunately for Kipper, the only guy who could be pulled was himself despite playing just as poorly as his teammates.

I pretty much agree with this after watching the game. It was a surprising game to watch for those of us who have watched Kipper play hundreds of games. We're used to seeing him steal game after game and make miracle save after miracle save. For a Team like Finland even, which is known for their structured play the score was a surprise. 

Even discounting the two 'terrible' goals that Kipper let in. The rest of the Team also looked pretty lifeless. Oh well, NBC got what it wanted a hockey final that should deliver millions and millions more in viewership, not something a Team Finland - Team Canada final would have done...

As if anything else could go wrong with these Olympics.

The Earthquake in Chile has actually lead to concerns that a tidal wave may hit the BC coast before the closing ceremonies.

http://www.vancouversun.c...isory/2622092/story.html

I know you can't control the weather etc but is anyone watching the snowboard slalom today ? They cannot postpone it at this point because it is too late in the Games, the hill is thick with fog and it is raining / sleet. The racers are wiping out non-stop, elite racers can barely even complete the race. It is kind of funny listening to NBC announcers make comments like, yeah I heard this racer tell me he LOVES this weather, talk about over over-spin...

Guest jsheajr

Do you guys remember the time before Ipods, and CDs, they had records. They would warp and bend if you left it in the car in July. Libraries used to hang these up as a warning of carelessness, and the financial responsibilities?

Do our medals resemble this shape? Or potato chips? (wavy lays ones).

What an amazing double-gold for Canada! Jasey-Jay Anderson finally tops the podium in his last Olympics mere minutes after our men win the team pursuit in long track. That was awesome!

Can we get 14 gold? Here's hoping!

Well what a turn in events we've had this week. Last week wasn't very good and suddenly Canada's on fire with 4 golds in less than 24 hours, with potentially another 2 by the end of tomorrow afternoon in curling and ice hockey. This would set a Winter Olympic games record of most gold medals in a single Olympics, previously set by the Americans in '02 with 13.

If the US hasn't won all those bronze medals (many of them quite lucky to be honest, like Men's 1500 m and Women's 3000 m relay in short track), they'd be in 3rd place in the medal standings. If you're the Americans I would be disappointed as they're expected every Olympics to top the podium and get the most gold medals, as they have favorites in every event. They are owning the bronze medal. Not exactly success on the US' part. CANADA IS OWNING THE PODIUM!

The quest for 14 is on! Here we come! Come on Canada, make us proud and make history!

CONGRATULATIONS TO LYNDON RUSH,CHRIS LE BIHAN, DAVID BISSETT AND LASCELLES BROWN FOR WINNING CANADA'S LATEST BRONZE MEDAL TO BRING THE MEDAL COUNT UP TO 24

Bunny04a.jpg

WOMEN'S HOCKEY TEAM CANADA

ShannonSzabados, Charline Labonte, Kim St-Pierre, Carla MacLeod, Becky Keller,Colleen Sostorics, Meaghan Mikkelson, Catherine Ward, Tessa Bonhomme,Meghan Agosta, Rebecca Johnson, Cherie Piper, Gillian Apps, CarolineOuellette, Jayna Hefford, Jennifer Botterill, Haley Irwin, HayleyWickenheiser, Sarah Vaillancourt, Gina Kingsbury, Marie-Philip Poulin

Bunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpg    Bunny04a.jpg              

Bilodeau    Ricker       Nesbitt   Montgomery  Virtue&Moir   McIvor  Humphries & Moise  Hamelin  

Bunny04a.jpg                                             Bunny04a.jpg              Bunny04a.jpg

Hamelin, Bastille, Hamelin, Jean, Tremblay         Morrison, Makowski, Giroux   Anderson 

Silver.jpgSilver.jpg Silver.jpgSilver.jpg             Silver.jpg                            Silver.jpg      

Heil       Robertson     St-Gelais    Groves          Gregg,Roberge,St-Gelais,Vincent           Upperton & Brown    

Silver.jpg

BERNARD, O'CONNOR, DARBYSHIRE, BARTEL

Bronse.jpgBronse.jpgBronse.jpgBronse.jpg                            

Groves       Hughes    Rochette  Tremblay     

Bronse.jpg

Lyndon Rush, Chris Le Bihan, David Bissett, Lascelles Brown

canada.gif

flight-of-the-conchords-brett-mckenzie-acephotos071471brettmckenzie.jpg       Charles%20Hamelin.JPG

Bret McKenzie of Flight of the Conchords and the Canadian short track speed-skater Charles Hamelin are long lost brothers. I swear!

Way to go Canadian Bret!!! Or should I say way to go New Zealand Charles for making one of the best comedic shows ever.

Do you guys remember the time before Ipods, and CDs, they had records. They would warp and bend if you left it in the car in July. Libraries used to hang these up as a warning of carelessness, and the financial responsibilities?

Do our medals resemble this shape? Or potato chips? (wavy lays ones).

My first impression of the medal was just that but I looked into it and they grew on me and I can appreciate them a lot more now, now that I know a bit about them. I now think they are one of the big home runs of the Games. More work and thought was put into them than ever before and it was quite an intricate process to create them. They are also all unique which was a great feature. Here is an article from the CBC on it but there are several on them. 

"These medals are the pinnacle of metal fabrication and craftsmanship and worthy tributes to the athletes who will triumph here mere months from now," said Ian E. Bennett, president and CEO of the Royal Canadian Mint.

The real seal on the deal though is that when you watch the Olympians get their medals, they are without exception impressed with them and you can see it in how they hold them and how they look at them. I am sure the texture and weight of them, they are the heaviest medals ever, is truly making them savor their victories and their special moment.

Big Win on Medal Design for Vancouver (imo)

[quote name='Flame111 wrote:

littlereddevil']The medals look like Ruffles potato chips.

You prefer the CDs from Turin laugh.gif

I never said I prefered them.

I'm just indifferent about these Olympics' medals as it might tempt me if I were an athlete to bite out of these medals.

MMMMM!!!! What's for dinner? A gold medal potato chip! grin.gif

The medals look like Ruffles potato chips.

HAHA!!!!!!!roll.gifIndeed they do. But wouldn't that be awesome to reach into a chip back and pull that much hardware out? Those suckers are big. They got to be like 5oz. or so. Hamelin looked like he needed to lift some weights in order to even sit up straight with the 2 of them around his neck LOL!!!!!!!! Kudos to the size of them in this market though. WOW!!!!!!!

[quote name='littlereddevil wrote:

Flame111 wrote:

littlereddevil']The medals look like Ruffles potato chips.

You prefer the CDs from Turin 
laugh.gif

I never said I prefered them.

I'm just indifferent about these Olympics' medals as it might tempt me if I were an athlete to bite out of these medals.

MMMMM!!!! What's for dinner? A gold medal potato chip! grin.gifWell in Canada nobody can win just one. 

Congratulations Team Finland, Miikka Kiprusoff, Niklas Hagman and Yea you too Olli Jokinen for your Bronze Medal. You should be proud and good come back indeed.

Bronse.jpg