The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hockey_Canada1

2010 Winter Olympics

Just started to get in the Olympic spirit a few days ago, a bit too late now. Hahaha that's awesome on saying the medals look like Ruffles. Great job Canada!!! Way to make this country very very proud, yay!!!

Guest jsheajr

So for now we're friends Anie, as Iggy and Progner share a medal together...... *shifty eyes*. dun dun dunnnnnn.\

Anyways, Boner from Growing pains, found dead in Stanley Park...

So for now we're friends Anie, as Iggy and Progner share a medal together...... *shifty eyes*. dun dun dunnnnnn.\

Anyways, Boner from Growing pains, found dead in Stanley Park...

The minute I start loosening up to these Games another weird thing happens to return me to my skeptical perspective.  

This is has to be one of the strangest Games ever, starts and ends with death, just weird, pretty much not mentioned in the CDN press but all over the American press...

etc...

[quote name='Flame111 wrote:

happycat']So for now we're friends Anie, as Iggy and Progner share a medal together...... *shifty eyes*. dun dun dunnnnnn.\

Anyways,
Boner from Growing pains, found dead in Stanley Park...

The minute I start loosening up to these Games another weird thing happens to return me to my skeptical perspective.  

This is has to be one of the strangest Games ever, starts and ends with death, just weird, pretty much not mentioned in the CDN press but all over the American press...

etc...
What does that have to do with the olympics? Because it happened at that time?

WHat about the earthquake in Chile? Is that a black mark on VANOC too?

Guest jsheajr

No but the Tsunami heading towards Vancity is, also don't forget the specter of an economic crash and a pandemic.

Canada wins the games! 14 gold medals!

Mabye the US got the most medals, but go ahead and enjoy all your bronze and silver medals, while Canadians celebrate 14 GOLD MEDALS, something that has never been accomplished before in the Winter Olympics.

Canada wins the games! 14 gold medals!

Mabye the US got the most medals, but go ahead and enjoy all your bronze and silver medals, while Canadians celebrate 14 GOLD MEDALS, something that has never been accomplished before in the Winter Olympics.

Aren't they awesome at finishing second and third? :lol:

[quote name='The_Don wrote:

littlereddevil']Canada wins the games! 14 gold medals!

Mabye the US got the most medals, but go ahead and enjoy all your bronze and silver medals, while Canadians celebrate
14 GOLD MEDALS
, something that has never been accomplished before in the Winter Olympics.

Canada owns the top of the podium banana.gif

US owns the bronze.

Gold > bronze

littlereddevil']Canada wins the games! 14 gold medals!

Mabye the US got the most medals, but go ahead and enjoy all your bronze and silver medals, while Canadians celebrate
14 GOLD MEDALS
, something that has never been accomplished before in the Winter Olympics.

Let's not be jerks. We won the Gold in hockey which is what matters to most of us.

If you count only Gold, we're 1st. If you count all medals we're 3rd which is still much above expected. If we were 1st in medals but 3rd in Gold some would try to spin that.

Tiny Ninja just wants to give major props to all of

VANOC the IOC, THIS GREAT COUNTRY OF OURS CANADA, ALL OF THE CANADIAN ATHLETES AND WORLD ATHLETES ALIKE, THE CITY OF VANCOUVER, ALL INTERNATIONAL AND CANADIAN VOLENTEERS, COACHES AND SUPPORT STAFF, THE FOUR SUPPORTING FIRST NATIONS

for putting on such a wonderful Winter Olympic Games and putting forth their finest and greatest efforts.

Through Grief, Diversity, Weather Woes you put on a great show indeed.

Joannie Rochette carrying the flag for the closing ceremonies was a great choice. Catriona Lemay Doan getting to light the cauldron finally was a nice touch too, it was probably all arranged to fail on purpose as part of a master plan for the dramatic effect during the closing tongue.gif (yeah, right).

BTW, doesn't everyone hate mimes?

Things started going off the rails a little when William Shatner and Catherine O'Hara were part of that failed attempt at humour, it just came across as really out of sync with the rest of the program, in poor taste and not funny at all. Too bad, because I like both of them quite a bit (I found M. J. Fox was not as bad).

Neil Young was awesome! I can't stand Nickleback so I am totally biased, I thought they sucked, as usual.

In the end, there was a positive vibe among the attendees and the games as a whole I thought.

Nice job Vancouver! Nice job Canada!!!!!!

It was good times watching the games here in Sydney (thanks to my inlaws who ordered the entire broadcast of the games on their cable) and hearing how the Australian media perceived the games.

They bloodly love the hockey down here and seemed to be extremely excited for the USAvCanada gold medal match and genuinely happy for Team Canada and the host country when we won it in overtime.

They continually remarked how gracious and kind the Vancouver team carried themselves throughout the games and they showed countless panoramic shots of the beautiful Rocky Mountains. It really started to make me home sick.

Just wanted to thank you all for all of the updates and it was really cool to come on here to get a taste of the excitement that was brewing back in the great White Tundra.

The only embarrassing moment came when I saw Nickleback performing at the closing ceremonies. This shame only magnified when seeing who followed them. (Couldn't we have show-case real Canadian talent like Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, Sam Roberts or the Hip?).

Oh well, Go Canada!

Thanks Vancouver and thanks Canada for two entertaining weeks with awesome athletes perfomances and some big Gold medal surprises.

I've read alot of interviews from our German athletes and everyone told the media that they had a great time in Canada and that they love that you support any country, honoured every effort and that they thank you for your awesome hospitableness.

Joannie Rochette carrying the flag for the closing ceremonies was a great choice. Catriona Lemay Doan getting to light the cauldron finally was a nice touch too, it was probably all arranged to fail on purpose as part of a master plan for the dramatic effect during the closing tongue.gif (yeah, right).

Things started going off the rails a little when William Shatner and Catherine O'Hara were part of that failed attempt at humour, it just came across as really out of sync with the rest of the program, in poor taste and not funny at all. Too bad, because I like both of them quite a bit (I found M. J. Fox was not as bad).

Neil Young was awesome! I can't stand Nickleback so I am totally biased, I thought they sucked, as usual.

In the end, there was a positive vibe among the attendees and the games as a whole I thought.

The opening of the closing (?) ceremonies was perfect.  I thought it was odd that only 3 arms were up, but the confused look on Catriona's face (What am I doing here?) was priceless!  She sold that perfectly.  Nothing like being able to poke fun at ourselves. 

I thought Shatner was great (I'm a Trekker), and O'Hara was brutal.  None of her jokes made any sense.  MJ Fox was a wicked choice, he did amazing, and after reading his book, I have all the more respect for him as an actor and person. 

Neil Young rocked, my wife loved Avril, but I totally agree with you Chief about Nickelback (sucks / overhyped), there could have been way better choices, and I think the Hip or Sam Roberts, even Blue Rodeo would have been better.

Just a good time and a great party overall.  We should be proud of our country!  CANADA ROCKS!!!!!!!!

Flame111 wrote:

happycat']So for now we're friends Anie, as Iggy and Progner share a medal together...... *shifty eyes*. dun dun dunnnnnn.\

Anyways,
Boner from Growing pains, found dead in Stanley Park...

etc...
What does that have to do with the olympics? Because it happened at that time?

WHat about the earthquake in Chile? Is that a black mark on VANOC too?

Uhhh, well happy cat posted it in the Olympic thread here not me and if you read the CNN article the dude was part of anti-Olympic protests for Beijing in 2008 so I think that is kind of Olympic related in a round about way. The dude had a serious history of depression, so there is no point trying to figure out what was going on in his head.

And the earthquake in Chile has nothing to do with the Games for sure except that it triggered a tidal wave warning in B.C. and if it had happened it may have impacted the final day if a 6 foot wave hit the Vancouver Coast and put out the torch or something, didn't happen though so it doesn't relate.

First off and to qualify, Vancouver had the impossible task of coming after the Beijing ceremonies which pretty much most people agree were the best opening and closing ceremonies by far, ever and Vancouver only had 10% of the budget Beijing had.

I pretty much agree here with Big Chief except, I loved the mime happy.gif (I may be the only one, but oh well), that was a French humor thing and the start of the closing ceremonies was a huge win for me. I thought it was a great save for the opening ceremonies and also giving Doan her moment.

I also agree that the Shatner, O'Hara skits were total fails, I actually cringed during them. Humor is great when it works but it is also very high risk. Sex in Canoes and saying "Sorry, all the time", "peeing in snow ?" I think the world was going " huh ? "

Fox worked but that is because he represents great courage in his struggle against his illness. So a little recovery there. 

The Russian part started off great, I loved that visual introduction and the graphics and all that. The people in the bouncy balls were interesting but you don't really want to critique another culture's artistic representation of the ceremonies, you really are only qualified to critique your own, the Russians have the world famous ballet, and that opera singer, if opera is important in your culture, Red Square, along with the classical music etc. You pretty much just want absorb what the other culture is telling you.  

Things just went into rapid free fall after this point for me, once the Canadian part started again. Those giant Beaver and Mountie balloons reminded me of a Macy's Day parade on acid. People hanging from the roof as giant Maple Leafs opening and closing was pretty trippy. Everyone rushing around and well, let the giant beaver jokes begin. That is the biggest blow-up beaver I have ever seen. laugh.gif

On the rock concert ending, whatever, that is pretty standard fare. I personally would have preferred the Hip and Blue Rodeo as well but who knows what them kids are listening to today smile.gif...

At the bottom line it was kind of campy, kind of funny, kind of quirky, but the athletes and people there seemed to be kind of enjoying it, so that is what matters. For what they had for money, I think they did a good job and most importantly the beavers didn't fall over onto anyone or the people in the Maple Leaf costumes at the top of the stadium didn't fall and nothing appeared to go wrong, so it was a success... happy.gif

The international press seems ok with it, although nice and quirky are not what I was hoping for (LA Times), it is better than the headlines after the Opening Ceremonies that I saw. A picture is worth a thousand words though and you have to admit this looks pretty cluttered and haphazard...

I ike what he said at the end of that article: "In all the important ways, Canada, you owned the podium."

Summs it all up.

Guest jsheajr

Well there still is the Paraolympics Yukon. I'm here right now. Got my blue smurf suit, (I like it when it's florecent in the lights). Man is Whistler so beautiful. when I come back to reality (than my games fantasy world), I'm definatly going to check out skiing. They should really train our athliets up here, where the air is pure, thin, at least let them run up and down the Sea to Sky Highway. That thing is nuts man.

People who live here are so bloody lucky. Will be filing my photo with the smurf suit. Although poor choice of colours though. Blue? I though our colours were red.

I suppose blue is the VANOC colour, red would be to patriotic for a "non-partisan" association. Just guessing though.

If anyone is interested, (and I hope you are), tonite is opening ceremonies for the Paralympic Games, and I heard it was being broadcast live, but the schedule on'line doesn't show that. However, it is being shown tomorrow on CTV (2 pm local), followed by the Canada / Italy sledge hockey game.

Guest jsheajr

Saw it?!!??! me and my roomate LIVED it. We helped set things up, hundreds of volunteers over the past few days scoweled BC place, setting things up. Oh the kids were so cute, At the end, parents wanted to take pictures with their children, beside the cauldron, but the smurfs wouldn't let them.. for saftey reasons. But I managed to get some clandestine photos, for parents, in my smurf vest though. The were quite pleased with that.

You guys are in for a treat if you haven't seen it. We had electronic pom poms, (to simulate red flashy stuff in the video). It was something to behold man. Especially since you worked so hard to put it together, and see your end result. It wasn't as grandiose as the Olympic openings, with the aborginal totums comming up.

They had a bboy- (break dancer), in clutches, Wheel chair, ramp jumpers (ie. Skate boarding). beautiful music, a young child she was sign languaging us, and we answered back a signing of we love you, or thank you... (I was a bit late for my seating :_().

Tributes to Hansen, and tributes to Terry Fox, naturally, as Fox was an amputee, and Hansen an accident victim. Wow being something a part of the action, being a part of Canadian history. Even it it means being in Canucklehead territory.

Guest jsheajr

Because we have a special  station just, we're watching the live feeds and not the comentary feeds, it's so weird. We wanted A nordic combine (well the one with the gun), and a skier from Germany, who has a only a few fingers was kicking @ he got the shots in quick sequence, however he couldn't win, as he only has his legs to keep his balance, vs those who has the arms for the poll. We wanted him to win because he was doing so well we at the Ssoc (suport services command center), or Sock. (basically the nerves of the village). we all said awwwwwww. That sucks. But team Canada beat team Italy in Luge hockey 4-1.

There's a fog creeping down the mountain, in similar mode of Johh Carpenters "The fog", and as such you can't watch apline skiing, right now, infact Ian just said it's all over, no apline skiing (It started with a light fog), but as some are handicapped, it is unsafe to go down, and it creeped down later in the day.

Medal ceremonies at the Olympic plaza in whistler are free, taking some videos. and buying some tickets on my days off.

The energy levels are very thick now.... behind the scenes is soooooo awesome. I particulary enjoyed helping visitors who couldn't go in some doors. like some elderly from team Japan, tracking down an elusive cell phone, from a girl athliet in Mongolia (olympics), and her compatriot wanted to bring it home. heh it was fun to track it down. (I kept on calling it), until it was found under a bed. ha ha ha. That is some crazy battery! I'm serious. like two weeks! how unreal is that.

Going to visit Team Poland's suits, to get some sign off forms right now. see you latter guys. *Gahhh!* they weren't in. because they were doing the cross country biathelon thingamabob). Gahhhh. Meh, go to see the village in winter at last anyways. took cool photo of a snow man made by the french, with wine bottles and a Tri colour wig ahahaha.