The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hockey_Canada1

2010 Winter Olympics

Guest jsheajr

Watching some cross country skiing, (some skiiers have no arms for the poles. They are just legs. They could probaly kick through pure steel, as the distance for some) Many different skiier's disabilities also preform at the same time, but in their respective catagory. For instance a man from China had no arms. Canadian Gold medalist McKeever, has vision imparement. They also start at different distances. There is no sweeping in wheel chair curling. Just a rock throw, and luge hockey, NHL players have nothing on them. As you can crash get cut up, CRASH, and inadvertably stab each other with the poles.

With the Biathelon shooting, if you are vision impared we have infrared rifels, that beep if you near the target, for vision imparement for skiing, you have a guide.

I just wished that volunteers can join the fun (but we're support services the guys in the background, and not the NPC volunteers or residence services, the ones with the athelets. :_(

But we got a flat screen here with live feed channels.

Guest jsheajr

Yaaaaaa Canada wins 3rd gold meeeeowwwwwww and we have a strong position for tomorrow. When I finally gets a day off. I'm sooo taping this.

Guest jsheajr

Managed to eat spagetti at Spagetti Factory, and guess who else was there? Verena Bentele of Team Germany. She's a pretty blond girl, who's blind, saddly she'll not see her flag raise, but her eyes are very beautiful. She often cried when she won....

Anyhow, I go in after a day of showing guests (not my volunteer task, but I did it anyways just to be nice. and I'm not even from Whistler ha ahahhaahahah), I come down to eat aka warm up. And didn't expect her to show up. (the Germany youths, Development team), where making whoooallll whoooooallll whooooallll sounds you make when you're praying your hands down. (waving motion). I got a photo of her.

Lauren Woolscroft also was a multi medalist, she works for BC Hydro, and designed most of the electrical stuff on our venues, especially the villages.

To get through to the Cross country skiier venue, one had to walk through a BEAUTIFUL forest, (part of the Squamish sovereign territory). There were two aboriginal youths working on a totem to be put at the venue site. There were quite pleased that visitors from all over got to see them work on their cultural crafts. And through out the forest path, in the Callahan valley, the invigorating fresh air, was alive with the sounds of the Chiefs of Squamish aborginal chanting and drumming welcoming strange visitors from all over the world to their lands. pure magic mannnn...

about living on the village, although not allowed to contact with the athletes, it was truly an awesome experience people from around the world living in the same place. diverse crowds, a wonderful familar like feeling of familyness. I'm happy for the children who experienced this.