The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could Calgary support an MLB team?

Why???? Baseball sucks. But to answer your question, no. I personally don't think the interest or the money would be there to support a team. Financing a stadium would be one of the biggest obstacles to overcome for sure.

Everyone is so quick to jump on the negative bandwagon when these kinds of questions are posed and I find it interesting to dissect actually. Say for some miraculous reason that the MLB or the NFL decided to send franchises up here. Our current population is technically enough to support either or both. Now comes the question of interest. The Cannons were a AAA team not an MLB team. Considering that the MLB is pretty popular and every local team to their area is like a religion who is to say that if we were awarded a team that the interest wouldn't be created just off the pure fact that we now have an MBL team. Now lets consider we all of a sudden have a 60 000+ indoor stadium and get awarded an NFL franchise. Who would be ignorant enough to think that we couldn't fill that stadium every two weeks for a home game with a population that currently can fill a 35 000 + outdoor stadium for our current CFL franchise. My educated guess is that MLB would be a gamble but NFL wouldn't and would definitely thrive here.

Now lets consider the NHL. The southern states have traditionally been catered to via the NFL, NASCAR, MLB and the NBA but for some strange reason Bettman among others thought it would be a glorious idea to expand to Raleigh , Miami, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Nashville, San Jose, Dallas, Phoenix and Anaheim. I don't include L.A. cause they had a team far longer than the above listed and realize that some aren't expansion but relocation franchises. Now these teams don't thrive by any means but they can and do sustain somehow in areas where Hockey can't be naturally played on Rivers, Streams, Lakes and Ponds. And too competing with other sports somehow it is within their idea that these teams should remain where they are and continue operations. 

IMO the NFL would not only be able to sustain but it could quite possibly Thrive here in Calgary and the only long shot would be MLB which too might just do well depending on if the team were to be competitive enough to spark major interest. Bottom line is the more franchises there are the more opportunity for more youngsters to be able to play into their adulthood. Certainly would possibly spark some more our local economy as well. Food for thought anyhow.

There is no way that Calgary could support a MLB team.....We couldn't even support the Flames throughout the mid- 90's....

We are lucky there is even 1 team in Canada...

If Montreal can't support a team and Toronto is constantly in the news for having terrible attendance, then we'd have absolutely no chance to support an MLB team. There aren't enough baseball fans here to get 30,000-40,000 in attendance consistently, which would be necessary to both field a competitive team and be able to keep it here.

But regardless, baseball is America's pastime, not ours and I am glad to let it stay that way. Baseball is easily the most boring sport of the 4 major North American sports.

Fun game to play, okay game to watch live, god awful game to watch on TV.

Calgary is a much bigger football town than a baseball one. If the NFL ever came here, then i'm pretty confident we can pack a stadium of 60,000 every Sunday. There's enough rich people and high end oil corporate giants in this city to support a team. Plus, we can even draw as much as 10,000 craze NFL fans from Edmonton and the rest of Alberta to fill seats too. It's do-able.

We already draw very well for Stampeder games and even with a ticket price increase, we're talking about $100 to $400 a ticket for 8 weeks per season... that's not too bad.

Baseball, no.

I'd love to see a MLB team come to Calgary, although the likelihood of that is slim to none.  Could Calgary support one?  Sure, why not.  At first I could see games selling out on a nightly basis, but after that first little period attendance would drop off significantly.  Like the Flames during their playoff drought, they wouldn't be able to start drawing fans out until there is a good team in place.   Once that takes place, the team would be as popular as the Flames IMO.  Most people I talk to say that baseball isn't fast paced enough.  Until you start following the game seriously I've found that that is the attitude you have.  I know this because I was the same way.  I thought baseball was the slowest game in the world then I actually started following the Jays and I've now gone to see Blue Jay games in Toronto, Baltimore, and Seattle. 

The reason why Montreal lost their team and Toronto has been in the papers for low attendance is the fact that they're not winning!  Nobody will want to buy tickets for a team that sucks ie Flames in the 90s.  Toronto has the ability to sell out every single game like the Red Sox and Yankees, but it doesn't help that your team hasn't made the playoffs for the past 16 years or so.  Wikipedia has a list showing the most any given team has drawn in attendance over any given year.  Guess where Toronto is on the list..  3rd.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_attendance_records#Largest_crowds_at_a_World_Series_game

There's not much doubt in my mind that Calgary has the ability to support one, but I'm not sure anyone is going to take a gamble on the chance it wont.

As for NFL?  Yeah, it would do fine..  Especially if there's a 70,000ish indoor stadium in place (you'd have to be crazy to have an outdoor stadium with the way the NFL schedule is.. Sept-late Jan)..  If that were to happen, I'm not sure if the CFL would be able to survive, too..  Of course,  Toronto would have to get a team a few years in advance, which is likely in the foreseeable future.  I know Paul Godfrey stepped down as the Blue Jays President in order to lead a group to try and bring a team to Toronto.

On an aside, I know there was a bill by some senator to try and block an NFL team from coming to Canada inorder to protect the CFL.  Ugh... http://www.nationalpost.com/most_popular/story.html?id=582916

Calgary is a much bigger football town than a baseball one. If the NFL ever came here, then i'm pretty confident we can pack a stadium of 60,000 every Sunday. There's enough rich people and high end oil corporate giants in this city to support a team. Plus, we can even draw as much as 10,000 craze NFL fans from Edmonton and the rest of Alberta to fill seats too. It's do-able.

We already draw very well for Stampeder games and even with a ticket price increase, we're talking about $100 to $400 a ticket for 8 weeks per season... that's not too bad.

Baseball, no.

Sure, we could certainly support an NFL team. Problem is it costs 1 billion dollars just for franchise rights. On top of that, you would need to build a stadium with 70,000 plus seating capacity (one of the reasons NFL won't go to Toronto is because the Rogers Centre simply isn't big enough). Construction cost of that would be around 350-400 million (at the very least). You're talking about a 1.5-2 billion dollar project before an investor even makes a single penny. In your opinion, do you think anyone in Alberta has the muscle (or stomach) to support something like that?