The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Abbotsford Heat First Game

5-2 Final, Moose had a little rally in the third. The local radio is country 107.1, I assume they have a stream.

Good game, a couple technical problems with boards and the old guy running the clock (why is it always an old guy?), but a positive start for the new club.

Announced attendance was over 4,500.

Strong start for Heat

Published: September 25, 2009 10:00 PM 

Updated: September 25, 2009 10:42 PM

Talk about making a good first impression.

Playing before a crowd of 4,573 curious customers in their preseason debut at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre on Friday, the Abbotsford Heat blitzed the Manitoba Moose 5-2.

The terrific trio of Carsen Germyn, David Van der Gulik and Mikael Backlund accounted for all five Abby goals. Germyn, a speedy sixth-year pro, potted a hat trick, while Backlund, a 20-year-old Swede who is generally considered the Calgary Flames' top prospect, was every bit as good as advertised with a goal and three assists.

Van der Gulik, an Abbotsford native, made a triumphant return to his hometown with a goal and an assist.

"It was a great start," Van der Gulik said. "It was nice playing with them (Gerymn and Backlund) – they're offensively gifted players. They're always in good spots in the offensive zone, and we clicked pretty well. We had lots of chances, entered the zone with speed, had some good cycles. I had a lot of fun."

Blueliner John Negrin chipped in with three assists, while Matt Keetley earned the win between the pipes.

As befitting the Heat's status as a brand-new franchise, there were a few opening-night hiccups. The action was stopped twice during the first period after stanchions, supporting the glass along the end boards, shook loose and fell onto the ice.

Some may have wondered whether the locals would back the Heat against the Moose, who happen to be the top farm club of the Vancouver Canucks. So it was fascinating to note that the cheer the Heat received when they hit the ice prior to the opening puck-drop dwarfed the one that the Moose got.

The Heat and Moose tangle again on Sunday night at 5 p.m. at the Entertainment and Sports Centre.

Just to let everybody know that the Heat are the talk of Abbotsford. They played a truly great game last night. The team played really well with lots of good hits and some pretty good fights also. The radio feed will be up and running for the regular season. i was talking to a memeber of the heat front office and its because of the radio station already has the time slot for the pre-season spoken for that they have to wait till the regular season starts. I actully live here in Abbotsford and have purchased game packs for the weekend games. I am taking my wife to the game on Sunday against the Moose. Just waiting for the jerseys to be put up for sale so i can get one,

Are there any other rosters in the league that have seen as much NHL ice time as the Heat? I really like the looks of the little club this year!

From the Abbotsford Heat website, apparently Backlund and Germyn had excellent games.

Germyn had a hat-trick and Backlund had four points (1 goal, 3 assists)

Awsome to hear that the team has been well received, and the some of our prospects really ripped it up. I agree that their site is disappointing to say the least... I mean they don't even have the right F'in players listed as being on the team.

GO HEAT GO!!! Awesome to see that they start with a win and that too against the canucks' farm team. Lets hope the flames can do the same tonight and on the 1st October

Nice to hear that the new team had a good start and our prospects looked great. I agree with you that the website is actually lame. Hope they will updating it soon. GO HEAT GO

The webiste does leave something to be desired, much like the early days of this forum smile.gif

Things will be better, now that the Heat are 2-0 in the preseason, both vs. the Moose!