The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikael Backlund - What's the deal?

We're about to stry a little off topic here but i am to lazy to do anything about so here goes. haha

I have to agree with you here; although i would like to keep langkow for his experience, and his undeniable chemistry with Bourque (also he has a NMC/NTC). At this point i would like to see Bourque and lanks move up to the top line with iggy, if not this year then definetly next year. Jokinen has until the trade deadline to prove his value or he is a good as gone. His salary or one of our top 4 d-men will have to go to make room for Backlund to move up, and we will need to do some resigning that may cost us more then current calculations. One serious factor that will change this equation drasticaly will be the decision to keep Conroy, or let him retire... Beyond that, it is too early to commit to any bold moves, but I do see some serious competition coming for our top 2 centre positions.

Yes i agree with your opinion.

3 goals 2 assists as of right now. He's getting warmer.  

Also, I just go right here for a quick look at the stats. As posters have previously mentioned, the Heat web site blows.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/csl.php?tid=5417

Well this is good news. He's getting better from the looks of it game to game.

3 goals 2 assists as of right now. He's getting warmer.  

Also, I just go right here for a quick look at the stats. As posters have previously mentioned, the Heat web site blows.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/csl.php?tid=5417

Great link!

I also go here (http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_valley/abbynews/sports/heat/), it's basically run by the local paper.  Some good articles and such on the players.

[quote name='cannedice99 wrote:

RML1421']3 goals 2 assists as of right now. He's getting warmer.  

Great link!

I also go here (http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_valley/abbynews/sports/heat/), it's basically run by the local paper.  Some good articles and such on the players.

Just added to favorites. They should make that the Heat official website. laugh.gif

Great news!

It's just a matter of time before Backs catches up to Lundmark and then takes over as scoring leader of the team!

hmmm... maybe he read this thread and realized we're pretty serious about him, so he turned it up? hahaha

probably not...

I like the way backlund plays, hes smart with the puck, fairly quick which can be a positive when on the attack and he can put the puck in the net.

I think hes getting better everygame in the ahl and learns quickly and can adapt fast which could lead to a nhl start sooner then later.

If i were to compare him to any player in the nhl i would probobly go with nicklas backstrom from washington because their both highly skilled and they think alike.

ps. humme i think after a season like this id rather sign bourqe then jokinen and possible sign a lower ranked center while trading langkow and another player for a new starting center next season.

Comparing him to Backstrom is a pretty tall order you got there.Despite the fack that he DOES play with Ovechkin, there is no denyingthat he is a very very good playmaker and he has the shot when he needsit as well. I mean this is the guy that I bet on to beat Thornton inassists this year.

Its Ovechkin/Backstrom vs Thornton/Heatley for dynamic duo, throwing Backlund in as a comparison is pretty big there:P

Backlund is not Backstrom. Backstrom is IMO more talented, but also is more of a playmaker than Backlund. Backlund is a mix of both but not strictly a playmaker like Backstrom is. I think their hockey sense is fairly equal, but Backstrom's passing ability is better than Backlund's. However, I would suggest that Backlund's release and his shot are better than Backstrom.

I beleive a player like Patrick Marleau is a better comparison for Backlund.

Backlund is not Backstrom. Backstrom is IMO more talented, but also is more of a playmaker than Backlund. Backlund is a mix of both but not strictly a playmaker like Backstrom is. I think their hockey sense is fairly equal, but Backstrom's passing ability is better than Backlund's. However, I would suggest that Backlund's release and his shot are better than Backstrom.

I beleive a player like Patrick Marleau is a better comparison for Backlund.

Backstrom is also bigger and faster :D

Actually you know what? Backlund looks kinda like Sergei Samsonov the way he plays eh?  Take that as you may of course :D

Backlund has a good mix of shooting accuracy, passing and vision of the ice. If he continues to develop he will make an excellent first line center capable of putting up 30 goals and 80ish points a year. He has the talent to become a star in the league but Id be happy with a PPG player. I wouldnt compare him to Marleau but rather Sedin, hes not physical enough to be a Marleau type player.

I don't find Marleau physical at all. In fact one thing I think holds marleau back from being the player he is capable of is his lack of physicality.

He skates better than the Sedins, and I don't think he's enough of a primeter player to be a Samsonov.

But folks, let's realize that he CAN be... Good players can always adjust to different situations and systems...

If the Flames' system requires him to play the perimeter, then he will learn how to do so. If he needs to be more physical, he will be. Crosby was similar... Only now is Sid becoming a little more physical when he needs to be - my thoughts, of course...

I don't really care about physicality as much. Ovechkin is great, but Crosby is great too. Look at Stamkos, he's not the fiestiest kid out there, but he puts up points and can win games for you... That's what I what I want from Backlund - to be an effective player that can play in all situations and can be a leader on and off the ice in the future. I hope he will also be a Flame for life. We drafted him, brought him up, and it would nice to actually keep the guys we develop - like the Dion.

Keep up the good work in ABB Mikael, we're all rooting for you...

Oh, and I forgot to ask. What do you guys think of Mikael making the Swedish National Team for the Olympics?

Maybe? No chance? Why not?

Good chance? Could they use him?

Oh, and I forgot to ask. What do you guys think of Mikael making the Swedish National Team for the Olympics?

Swedish junior team? Yes.

Senoir Team? No. There's too much depth at center for Sweden (Zetterberg, Sedin, etc.), and I would find it hard for him to make it, especially since he's gotten almost no NHL experience.

[quote name='littlereddevil wrote:

arif_karmali']Oh, and I forgot to ask. What do you guys think of Mikael making the Swedish National Team for the Olympics?

Swedish junior team? Yes.

Senoir Team? No. There's too much depth at center for Sweden (Zetterberg, Sedin, etc.), and I would find it hard for him to make it, especially since he's gotten almost no NHL experience.

He can't make the Junior Team O.o

Hes too old.

Good to hear: Backs has 6G and 7A, 4PPG (most on the team), and 80SOG (5 less than leader Jason Jaffray) which means Mikael is definitely getting his chances...

Good work Mikael! Flames fans await you!

Finally he gets called up!

I say let him stay here for the remainder of the season and let him play with Jarome.

I highly doubt he gets more then 9 games, I don't think Sutter will use a whole year against Backlund's entry level deal for him to play half a season. I could be wrong but I don't see it. I huge part of me still saying that he's being showcased in a possible trade scenario.