The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikael Backlund - What's the deal?

[quote name='cmpdave wrote:

arif_karmali']Finally he gets called up!

I say let him stay here for the remainder of the season and let him play with Jarome.

I highly doubt he gets more then 9 games, I don't think Sutter will use a whole year against Backlund's entry level deal for him to play half a season. I could be wrong but I don't see it. I huge part of me still saying that he's being showcased in a possible trade scenario.

I really hope you are wrong on this, he's been one of our best in the last 5 games, even though 4 of them are losses.  

Darn it! He won't be playing with Jarome tonight vs. Dallas. He's centering Glencross and Nystrom. I guess young, energetic guys are better than a sub par Iginla....

Good luck tonight Mikael.

[quote name=arif_karmali]Darn it! He won't be playing with Jarome tonight vs. Dallas. He's centering Glencross and Nystrom. I guess young, energetic guys are better than a sub par Iginla....

Good luck tonight Mikael.Thats a good move. He is up here to provide energy, not to be relied upon to score a bunch of goals.

[quote name='cmpdave wrote:

arif_karmali']Finally he gets called up!

I say let him stay here for the remainder of the season and let him play with Jarome.

I highly doubt he gets more then 9 games, I don't think Sutter will use a whole year against Backlund's entry level deal for him to play half a season. I could be wrong but I don't see it. I huge part of me still saying that he's being showcased in a possible trade scenario.

He is in the AHL so he is already using a year against his entry level deal.

What your referring too only applies if he goes back to junior. Once you in the AHL, your playing on your NHL entry level contract so its irrelevant how long he spends with the big club.

After being sent back to Abotsford for the Olympic break, he was just named the AHL Player of the Week.

http://theahl.com/heat-s-...ayer-of-the-week-p141086

"The American Hockey League announced today that Abbotsford Heat center Mikael Backlund has been named the Reebok/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Feb. 28, 2010. In three games for the Heat, Backlund recorded two goals, four assists and a plus-6 rating.

Backlund began the week by setting up two goals, including the game-winner, in a 3-2 decision over Bridgeport on Wednesday evening. His second-period marker sparked an Abbotsford comeback from two goals down on Friday and helped the Heat to a 5-4 shootout win at Worcester. And on Saturday, Backlund registered one goal, two assists and a plus-4 rating in a 4-3 win over the Sharks as the Heat wrapped up a nine-game road trip with an 8-1-0-0 record."

I follow the Heat pretty closely, even though I live in Calgary. I was going to say somthing about Backlund, after he was sent down, about him starting to tear it up down there, But I figured people would figure it out eventually smile.gif And look, the AHL noticed! Cant blame the kid. Just imagine the confidance boost hes got going. Comes up to the NHL, and he can skate with everyone. Looks like a solid NHLer that has been playing for years. Go back down there and looks like a man among boys. Good on him. Expect a call up b4 Wendsday.

Elated that the kid's doing great so far! I hope Darryl rewards him by letting him play the rest of the season. This experience will only benefit him. He's ready for the NHL and he's proving it.

I follow the Heat pretty closely, even though I live in Calgary. I was going to say somthing about Backlund, after he was sent down, about him starting to tear it up down there, But I figured people would figure it out eventually smile.gif And look, the AHL noticed! Cant blame the kid. Just imagine the confidance boost hes got going. Comes up to the NHL, and he can skate with everyone. Looks like a solid NHLer that has been playing for years. Go back down there and looks like a man among boys. Good on him. Expect a call up b4 Wendsday.
Hope so, watched him closely while he was up here and saw nothing that stated he didn't belong. Hope another move is made here and we get him up for the rest of the season, as it sits now though the roster is over-loaded with forwards... 

[quote name='Flame111 wrote:

FlamingC2009']I follow the Heat pretty closely, even though I live in Calgary. I was going to say somthing about Backlund, after he was sent down, about him starting to tear it up down there, But I figured people would figure it out eventually
smile.gif
And look, the AHL noticed! Cant blame the kid. Just imagine the confidance boost hes got going. Comes up to the NHL, and he can skate with everyone. Looks like a solid NHLer that has been playing for years. Go back down there and looks like a man among boys. Good on him.
Expect a call up b4 Wendsday.

Hope so, watched him closely while he was up here and saw nothing that stated he didn't belong. Hope another move is made here and we get him up for the rest of the season, as it sits now though the roster is over-loaded with forwards... 

That's the thing.  There is no doubt he is playing well enough to be here, but there are too many bodies in town, none of which can be sent down.  Unless Dutter moves bodies for picks, there is no room for him until the expanded playoff roster. 

[quote name='Flame111 wrote:

FlamingC2009']I follow the Heat pretty closely, even though I live in Calgary. I was going to say somthing about Backlund, after he was sent down, about him starting to tear it up down there, But I figured people would figure it out eventually
smile.gif
And look, the AHL noticed! Cant blame the kid. Just imagine the confidance boost hes got going. Comes up to the NHL, and he can skate with everyone. Looks like a solid NHLer that has been playing for years. Go back down there and looks like a man among boys. Good on him.
Expect a call up b4 Wendsday.

Lol, Backlund called up today....

Called it!

He's Back!! WOOOOOO!!!!

I just pray that he doesn't get traded... You know how Darryl is... he'll be like "Oh, Backs was great for us before the break, and he really turned it up in the A, so we have him back up here to help the team out"... next day he gets traded... lol...

He had a good solid game against the wild. He seems to fit in well with Bourque and Moss. Keep that line together for the time being. i think that line generated 15 shots, though I might be mistaken.

Keep it up Backlund.

Go Flames Go!

Hey all, quick question. Can the Flames send Backs and Brett Sutter back to ABB for the playoffs?

If so, I think it would be a good idea, especially now that Wahly's there and I'm sure they could use the help...

Yes they could.

I'm thinking you'll probably see the both of them finish the season with Calgary and then have them sent down after the season for the start of the playoffs.

I would expect Backlund to get some heavier ice time in the next few games and most of it with Iginla.

Yeah it'll definitely be awesome if the Flames send those guys back to ABB and see how far they go... Are they able to get Nemisz up there too? It's probably too late now, I guess. Maybe next season? Then the Heat will be stacked! Maybe Erixon will leave SWE to play in ABB?

Who knows what the future holds, either way, I'm looking forward to it!

Nemisz can play for Abbotsford once Windsor is out of the playoffs, but given that Windsor is at least going to make the OHL finals and Abbotsford is in tough as the #7 seed in the West, I doubt we'll see Nemisz playing for Abby before next year.

I'm sure the Flames would like for Erixon to leave Sweden next year, but off hand I couldn't say for sure. I dont' nkow his contract situation and he isn't playing good minutes there so It may just be best to leave him there.

but i'm sure the Flames would like him over here. I sure would as well. Another Swede, Bjorklund, could potentiall find his way over too.

I would be absolutly shocked if Nemisz was not in the AHL next season. Same with TJ Brodie.

According to the official calgary flames hockey club group on facebook, both Backlund and Sutter were re-assigned to the heat for the playoffs.

GREAT PLAYER!

He's already making an impact in 2-3 years who knows what he'll become maybe him and iggybut by the time he reaches his prime iggys going to retire

I say Iggy goes to 38 at least.. They will try to play together for at least two seasons. That is, unless we don't trade him when he's near his prime for a couple of fogies.