The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark McGwire is coming back

I don't see how this can be effective?

He wasn't a good hitter outside the home runs and now we know about that. He's a career .263 hitter despite being a home run king. He struck out a ton and for being a Home run hitter and cleanup, his RBI numbers are avg at best.

Combine that with the fact that if i was a player I woudln't feel right taking advice from a guy who has really made a fool of himself since the home run thing. "i'm not here to talk about the past" is one but then also trying to convince an interviewer that Steroids had nothing to do with hitting home runs. Ok Mark, then why did you take them? Yeah thats what I thought.

What a joke. Cardinal fans should be ashamed. I would be.

[quote name='RML1421 wrote:

tachaudh']

So the juice monkey finally admitted it. No surprises obviously. 

Analysts think the Cards forced him to admit it in order to acquire the job. 

Big shocker there! laugh.gif MAN UP Sosa, Bonds, Clemens, etc.

I dunno if Clemmens can, didn't he deny the use of steroids under oath at a congressional hearing? In that case he'd be charged with perjury. 

Becuase what they did wasn't illegal Peeps. Hard to punish McGwire, who based on the rules did nothing wrong, when it was MLB who for whatever reason refused to admit they had a problem and choose to do nothing.

Becuase what they did wasn't illegal Peeps. Hard to punish McGwire, who based on the rules did nothing wrong, when it was MLB who for whatever reason refused to admit they had a problem and choose to do nothing.

I guess they would argue that it was a double edged sword. Interest in baseball really dwindled after the player's strike and the product was pretty static coming out of the 96 season. McGwire/Sosa revitalized the sport and really put it back on the map with authority. MLB needed that race to 61 badly. It certainly doesn't absolve what they did but I think we have to appreciate the tough position they were in. 

Thats true, and you could make that case.

ESPN had a good argument about it last night though. Baseball would have come back without that home run race. I don't belive for a second that a sport with history as rich as Baseball was going away due to a strike. I think the home run race just speed it up by a year or two.

But then you have the coutner argument. How many people are now turned off by baseball because of steroids? Judging by fan resonse and attendence, I would suggest there is a segment of the population who can no longer watch or respect baseball becuase they beleive everyone is just juiced, and now its getting harder and harder to dispute that.

So I agree baseball was in a bind, but they took the short term gain with the risk of long term side affects. I would argue that in the long run baseball would have been the same had the of baned steroids back then, versus where they are now.

The other problem with baseball is they didn't do anything untill congress stepped in and basically said No, you have to change your rules or face penalty from us. Up until then Selig was still trying to deny baseball had a problem with steroids. The congressional hearing, leading to the mitchell report, finally put enough pressure on baseball to say "ok we have a problem lets do something about it". So i appreciate the business side of things, but they let it go on way too long and still didn't even change their policy until congress told them to.

In the end these players will be punished McGwire went from a first ballot hall of famer to someone who may never enter.  Others like Palmeiro and Sosa are likely done too in that regard.  Clemens and Bonds may get more consideration because of their accomplishments prior to their alleged steroid use periods, and if A-Rod puts in about 10 more solid clean seasons may save face, but I'd be suprised if any are first ballot guys.  In a way its MLB's way of saying thanks for boosting attendance and tv ratings, but we want to forget you ever existed.

MLB doens't vote on the players though, its sports writers.

But yeah I see your point. They are paying a price for sure its just not coming from MLB like I think People was suggesting.

and people should remember Hall of Fame is VERY important to baseball. I've always got the impression that many players would prefer to be in the hall of fame in Cooperstown than win a World Series. Its just a much bigger deal in baseball versus Football, hockey etc.

Well, i had to do a quick read-up on this after reading your response.  Did you mean not illegal as in for baseball?  Or not illegal as in under the USA legal system?  Because i would think steroids are illegal in USA period so who cares what baseball thinks.

It was not illegal for baseball as in there was no banned substance list that include steroids or HGH or anything like that. Much like the NHL a few years ago. They arn't like the Olympics that has a huge banned list of drugs that are not allowed.

Steroids themelves are not illegal, but distrubuting them in a non perscription manor. Can't ban steroids because some medical conditions actual require steroids.