The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Georgian luger deceased after training crash

This is horrific. I've seen the footage a few times as the broadcasters are shamelessly replaying it. It was horrible. One question I have is why are there poles sitting there like that? Their should be padding around that area. Like a wall of pad or something.

Prayers and thoughts to this mans family.

EDIT: Just so people know, it's Georgia the country, not the state.

You know, with the speeds that those guys hit on the luge, no matter how much padding you have, hitting an immovable object at that speed is recipe for disaster.

Thoughts & prayers to his family.

You know, with the speeds that those guys hit on the luge, no matter how much padding you have, hitting an immovable object at that speed is recipe for disaster.

Thoughts & prayers to his family.

I understand, but would you have a better chance at surviving crashing into a pad or into a metal pole? Are they canceling the luge/skeleton this year?

I actually like watching wipeouts in sports but I just watched this replay on youtube and my heart must have sank into my stomach when he hit the column. It's not like he had the luxury of little things here and there absorbing his momentum over a spam of 100 meters.  No, instead, he literally went from 125km/h to zero in a split second. What a horrific tragedy. I like wipeouts but i don't like to see people die. This sport is dangerous enough, they need to make this sport safer.

I do think a safety net would've definitely kept him on track and prevented him from flying off course like that. Clearly, speed was the killer and a safety net would've at least absorbed some of his inertia and momentum. Plus, he would've been kept on course and rolled down the track instead of off course like that. The columns/posts probably needed to be there for structural support so i don't blame the design. All in all, i think the right thing to do is to suspend the event until they put nets up to protect the athletes, at least in that particular spot on the course.

God Bless his soul. RIP.

You are right Peeps.

For Hockey there is transparent plexi glass formerly and now tempered glass. The Benches in the EPL are surrounded by curved plexi glass guards that would be ideal for this particular application. If the point of that area is for spectators to later stand in during that event a transparent curved plexi glass barricades between the track and that area where the support poles are would have been absolutely ideal and after review of that particular crash should have been installed.

Crashes are exciting but never when someone losses their life.

Many many prayers go out to this young man's family and what a dark mark to start off the Olympics indeed.

This is a horrible freak accident.

It casts a large shadow on the Olympic games right now. No one was ever expecting this to happen and I send all my prayers to his family, his spirit, his comrades, his countrymen and his friends.

But its through times of triumph and tragedy that brings the whole world together. As we saw in the opening ceremony, everyone was touched by this event and we witnessed a very event that brought the whole crowd to its feet. By no means is anyone wishing for this to happen, but acknowledging his life, no matter what nationality you are, really does help unify the world.

RIP Nodar Komaritashvili. Glod bess your soul.