The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Apolo Ohno Accuses Canadian Ref of Misconduct

Oh brother, you know this kind of stuff is media bottom feeding at its best.

Ohno, has a point and is entitled to his view, I watched the race, he barely touched the guy, that is the nature of short track though it is half skill, half performance, like diving in soccer it is just part of the game. From afar here it looks like the Canadian media has whipped Canadians into a total state of irrational nationalist hysteria, anti-Americanism is really the lowest of the low.

Ohno is entitled to his criticism, the South Koreans were actually much more vitriol and harsh to the point that the Aussie ref who called them for interference and cost them their team Gold medal was pulled from the Games for his safety. Believe me you do not want to use a language translator on this but here is an English article on it.

Take note in the article that many Koreans are calling for a ban on all Austrillian products. You want to go there Chairman? You want to ban trade with the United States because of Ohno's comments ? - LOL - yeah didn't think so, all bark no bite. It is always the fun card to play, bash the Americans, Ohno's comments were nothing compared to what the Koreans had to say on their disqualification and from my untrained eye it looked much more legitimate than Ohno's interference call. And short track is to the Korean's what hockey is to us, they know a lot more about it. 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/a...sskateshortkorausdispute

Ohno's comments were very reserved compared to the South Korean's.

Do you want a laundry list of criticisms of these Games Chairman ? You don't want to review the press from all over the world over the last two weeks? From countries such as the Dutch who criticized the ice at the Oval, the Slovians who had their world cup winner slide off a poorly prepared cross-country track and broke 4 ribs and had a collapsed lung, the Norwegians who could not believe the start in the biathlon was bungled not once but twice and the list goes on...

Lets try and return to some traditional Canadian Class here and keep a thick skin for the final few days, everyone is doing their best in Vancouver. Soon enough the cameras of the world will move on here and the rest of the world will again not even have mention of Canada in their press again.

The "NEW" international image of Canada, well, whether that is good or bad remains to be seen. It certainly is different now though.

Even before the race was over, with 25 meters to go, I knew Ohno was done. If you've ever watched any short-track, that's a foul, and it doesn't matter where the ref is from, that will be called. And it wasn't the Canadian ref alone, he did consult with the other officials. Ohno's just ticked that he got caught, because after all, he knew he wouldn't get anything anyway.

I agree. I watched that race anc thought for sure he was getting disqualified. He took a direct route right into the skater and put his hand out to touch. You can't do and i've seen worse called. I don't think it was the Canadian ref at all in fact I had no idea it was a Canadian ref. It was a foul through and through.

I can't seem to understand what Ohno is saying. His comments are actually quite hypocritical, as I remember him getting medals based on disqualifications back in Salt Lake in '02, in HIS HOME COUNTRY. A conspiracy? No, not at all.