The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LewisD91

Canada's Gold Medal Winners 2010

http://sports.yahoo.com/o...2210&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

More whining from the Russians that lost......

“When you compete in your home country the crowd goes crazy and it can help the skaters,” said Scali, who placed fifth with his partner Federica Faiella. “I hope that it does not affect the judges.

“I don’t agree with the system. They [Virtue and Moir] are not real dancers. They are very technical and don’t really ‘dance’ on the ice.”

Bronze medalist Shabalin, who along with partner Oksana Domnina finished third in Monday’s free dance, also questioned the result,

Ya but....  The Russkies program was awful.  I didn't even think they deserved bronze.  Oh well, after years of the Russian judges screwing Canadian skaters, this is nice to see.

medium.jpg 210px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png

Jon Montgomery - GOLD In Men's Skeleton

Wow....that was intense..almost like watching overtime in a NHL playoff game.

Well Done Dude!!!

(Someone is more addicted than me. Moved from 2010 Thread to stay with topic.)

Man I would have loved to have seen the Canadian reaction in downtown Vancouver, unfortunately I only get the BIASED NBC feed in San Diego.

Go CANADA Go.

Those mogul dudes are nuts!  What speed!

It seems like we are winning a lot of gold medals, more than usual? Way to go Ashleigh McIvor, I haven't seen the run yet though, it was obviously pretty good! banana.gif

Guest jsheajr

So Russel is home to two Gold Laurates? Interesting. There must be something in the water. Anyhow. That was an INSANE run man. a very insane run!

Alex and his brother, sister and parents were at CTV on location in Vancouver for an interview after his Gold medal and Dutchey comes running out with some "champagne" and a bunch of crappy little plastic cups to toast his victory like some wild & crazy mo-fo. Seemed kind of white trash hospitality to me. That might fly on a tailgate or Olympic Village maybe but when  you're in CTV's Olympic studio, going coast to coast with a national hero, go and find some proper glasses for cripes sake and don't embarrass everyone!

I'm guessing that "champagne" was sparkling wine.

I'm also guessing that his younger sister isn't quite 19 yet; does this make CTV guilty of supplying alcohol to a minor? :sarcasm:

Not surprisingly, Eric Francis turned on his troll afterburners when he got wind of the women's team on ice post-game celebrations. It was funny listening to Rob Kerr unleash on him when Francis tried to magnify the unfortunate images of the beers and cigars and spin them into the shame of the games and the entire nation during a Fan 960 interview. It's pretty obvious that Kerr does not have a lot of respect for Francis' opinion, I wonder why they continue having him on the show. His opinion don't deserve to have a platform like the Fan radio network provides, it should not be made available to bums looking for a means of carrying out their trolling and flaming to a broader audience.

[quote name='Flame111 wrote:

bigchief']Not surprisingly, Eric Francis turned on his troll afterburners when he got wind of the women's team on ice post-game celebrations. It was funny listening to Rob Kerr unleash on him when Francis tried to magnify the unfortunate images of the beers and cigars and spin them into the shame of the games and the entire nation during a Fan 960 interview. It's pretty obvious that Kerr does not have a lot of respect for Francis' opinion, I wonder why they continue having him on the show. His opinion don't deserve to have a platform like the Fan radio network provides, it should not be made available to bums looking for a means of carrying out their trolling and flaming to a broader audience.

BigChief, Whether you like Francis or not the absolute linch pin of democracy is the right of the individual to speak their mind. Otherwise you end up with either an undertone of informal hyper-nationalist Fascism or non-stop Communist propaganda controlled by the State. To quote John Stuart Mill from on Liberty who was one of the founding thinkers of modern democracy and who wrote in an era where speaking publicly against a Monarch was ill-advised if you wanted to keep walking around with your head attached. 

If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind. 

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavouring to stifle is a false opinion; and even if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still.

or Voltaire

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. 

You may not like Francis and you may have lots of good reasons for not liking him BUT what should really scare you is if you do NOT hear any voices like his, voices of discontent or criticism of the topic at hand in the media. Once the media begins to parrot a uniform message in a democracy, it simply isn't really a democracy anymore. 

If you do not hear any voices of criticism of the Games. I don't know how old you are or what your education background is, probably better than mine BUT the media in a democracy has a important job to do. Francis has his view and he should be allowed to express it. Is the women's hockey thing, the "Shame of the Games" highly unlikely, it is pretty hard to top the death of the Georgian Luger but there is also many more items to choose from. Failure in properly preparing several events for competition would certainly be on the list. 

The whole trolling concept is a real modern take on things. It is the idea that a message board is like an exclusive club, there is a assumed level of common basis. Like we are all Flames Fans here, it is trolling to come here and undermine that assumed commonality. But you are not using the word 'trolling' correctly if you apply it to our media which by definition in a democracy should actually be seeking the critical view... happy.gif
If he was just expressing his opinion, this might be a right to free speech issue, which I do not have to agree with to appreciate. The fact that he is always just trying to exaggerate, sensationalize and distort the truth rather than present any possible interpretations of reality is what makes him a troll rather than any type of journalist or individual wishing to express a genuine opinion. He likes to start fights and unprovoked attacks on others for the entertainment value it provides and mistakenly thinks this is something worthy of self-pride and respect.

As far as who should and shouldn't be on the radio/TV/ Newspaper, any mass media, I feel there should be some quality control and those who are not up to snuff can stick to their angry blogging on the internetz until they become good at what they do. There are some fine people with all kinds of differing opinions who are not in it for the money (most paper/ radio people make peanuts) who deserve praise for the job they do, Francis is not one of them and this is one more example of him trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, two days later and pretty much nobody cares anymore, yeah, the nation is really up in arms Francis, let's take away their medals and burn 'em at the stake./obvious sarcasm is obvious

Guest jsheajr

What's really cute about this beside Moir's "Crabwalk" move, where she balanced herself on his thighs with her SHARP skates. Was that, they are childhood friends....... awe!!!!!

Guest jsheajr

It's the Russian's fault they had no chemestry and resembled police tazer than dancing.

This was AWESOME to watch!  Glad I caught it on TV!  Jon is quite the character.

Way to go Maelle!!! You brought home our second Gold..Makes me want to take my board for a few runs,today..Go Canada Go!!!

That was awesome.2 gold in short track.Great setup,to win the gold rush.Go Canada Go !!! We can do it !!!