The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LewisD91

Canada's Gold Medal Winners 2010

Anyways, back on topic. Tomorrow could be another chapter written in the history books as Canada attempts to get 14 gold medals in a single Winter Olympics, something that has never been done. Canada's currently tied with Norway in 2002 and the Soviet Union in 1974 for single gold medals in an Olympic Games (13).

Come on Canada! Make us proud!

http://sports.yahoo.com/o...2210&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

More whining from the Russians that lost......

“When you compete in your home country the crowd goes crazy and it can help the skaters,” said Scali, who placed fifth with his partner Federica Faiella. “I hope that it does not affect the judges.

“I don’t agree with the system. They [Virtue and Moir] are not real dancers. They are very technical and don’t really ‘dance’ on the ice.”

Bronze medalist Shabalin, who along with partner Oksana Domnina finished third in Monday’s free dance, also questioned the result,

[quote name='Flame111 wrote:

littlereddevil']Anyways, back on topic.
Tomorrow could be another chapter written in the history books as Canada attempts to get 14 gold medals in a single Winter Olympics, something that has never been done.
Canada's currently tied with Norway in 2002 and the Soviet Union in 1974 for single gold medals in an Olympic Games (13).

Yeah, I hate to continue to be 'that guy', well I am 'that guy' lets face it. embarassed.gif Although once we get back to Flames hockey my 'that guy' status will disappear, to a degree. 

I know the CDN media is blitzing you guys with this but lets try and keep perspective here. It isn't really historically fair to trumpet this as a amazing feat.  

In 1924 there were only 16 events, 16 total gold medals to win.
In 1964 there were only 34 events, 34 total gold medals to win.
In 2010 there are 86 events.

If you really want to get a realistic feel for just how dominating Canada is being on the gold medal front, you should take the number of Golds won and divide by the number of events for a gold medal ratio. You have to be fair to past Olympics. 

So 14 gold medals divided by 86 events equals - 16.3% gold medal ratio. 

Now lets see how that compares historically ? 

click - click historical records of all Olympic medals here ok, click, click goes the calculator, hmmm not looking good for the early games but the sample size of countries participating is very small too, lets ignore everything until after World War 2, click, click goes the calculator, hmmm this still doesn't look as good as it should, hmmm we're going into the 1980s here, come on, click, click goes the calculator on the gold medal ratio. 

Actually lets just forget the whole thing GO CANADA GO most Gold medals ever in the history of the Olympics, more than any other country ever in history, yes this is a fact, don't talk to me about number of events, I can't hear youuuuuu  happy.gif 

More medal events, I hear you.

More nations competing? Check.

More athletes competing? Check.

Greater pool of talented athletes? Check. 

Harder to get gold medals? Check.

Case closed.   

That was amazing considering he has a .76 of a second hold back....... he caught up pretty quickly to win that medal !

[quote name='Barney_Gumble wrote:

bigchief']Alex and his brother, sister and parents were at CTV on location in Vancouver for an interview after his Gold medal and Dutchey comes running out with some "champagne" and a bunch of crappy little plastic cups to toast his victory like some wild & crazy mo-fo. Seemed kind of white trash hospitality to me. That might fly on a tailgate or Olympic Village maybe but when  you're in CTV's Olympic studio, going coast to coast with a national hero, go and find some proper glasses for cripes sake and don't embarrass everyone!

I'm guessing that "champagne" was sparkling wine.

I'm also guessing that his younger sister isn't quite 19 yet; does this make CTV guilty of supplying alcohol to a minor? :sarcasm:

Not in Alberta tongue.gif. Plus she's french, they drink when they turn 5.

GO CANADA!

Not surprisingly, Eric Francis turned on his troll afterburners when he got wind of the women's team on ice post-game celebrations. It was funny listening to Rob Kerr unleash on him when Francis tried to magnify the unfortunate images of the beers and cigars and spin them into the shame of the games and the entire nation during a Fan 960 interview. It's pretty obvious that Kerr does not have a lot of respect for Francis' opinion, I wonder why they continue having him on the show. His opinion don't deserve to have a platform like the Fan radio network provides, it should not be made available to bums looking for a means of carrying out their trolling and flaming to a broader audience.

BigChief, Whether you like Francis or not the absolute linch pin of democracy is the right of the individual to speak their mind. Otherwise you end up with either an undertone of informal hyper-nationalist Fascism or non-stop Communist propaganda controlled by the State. To quote John Stuart Mill from on Liberty who was one of the founding thinkers of modern democracy and who wrote in an era where speaking publicly against a Monarch was ill-advised if you wanted to keep walking around with your head attached. 

John Stuart Mill

If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind. 

We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavouring to stifle is a false opinion; and even if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still.

or Voltaire

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. 

You may not like Francis and you may have lots of good reasons for not liking him BUT what should really scare you is if you do NOT hear any voices like his, voices of discontent or criticism of the topic at hand in the media. Once the media begins to parrot a uniform message in a democracy, it simply isn't really a democracy anymore. 

If you do not hear any voices of criticism of the Games there is a very serious problem. I don't know how old you are or what your education background is, probably better than mine BUT the media in a democracy has a important job to do. Francis has his view and he should be allowed to express it. Is the women's hockey thing, the "Shame of the Games" highly unlikely, it is pretty hard to top the death of the Georgian Luger but there is also many more items to choose from. Failure in properly preparing several events for competition would certainly be on the list, the point, the media has an obligation to present both the positive and negative of the Games and they have thick list to choose from on both sides. Neglecting one at the cost of another is not proper, at least not in a democracy.  

The whole trolling concept is a real modern internet take on things. It is the idea that a message board is like an exclusive club, there is a assumed level of common basis. Like we are all Flames Fans here, it is trolling to come here and undermine that commonality. But you are not using the word 'trolling' correctly if you apply it to our media and society which by definition in a democracy should actually be seeking the critical view... happy.gif

Here is a clip that amused me, although I have watched the way the news has changed over a long time and maybe it is funnier to me than it is to most.laugh.gif

If he was just expressing his opinion, this might be a right to free speech issue, which I do not have to agree with to appreciate. The fact that he is always just trying to exaggerate, sensationalize and distort the truth rather than present any possible interpretations of reality is what makes him a troll rather than any type of journalist or individual wishing to express a genuine opinion. He likes to start fights and unprovoked attacks on others for the entertainment value it provides and mistakenly thinks this is something worthy of self-pride and respect.

As far as who should and shouldn't be on the radio/TV/ Newspaper, any mass media, I feel there should be some quality control and those who are not up to snuff can stick to their angry blogging on the internetz until they become good at what they do. There are some fine people with all kinds of differing opinions who are not in it for the money (most paper/ radio people make peanuts) who deserve praise for the job they do, Francis is not one of them and this is one more example of him trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, two days later and pretty much nobody cares anymore, yeah, the nation is really up in arms Francis, let's take away their medals and burn 'em at the stake./obvious sarcasm is obvious

I didn't hear the interview but I am well aware of Francis' reputation of lacking tact in his reporting. But tabloid journalists exist, that is how they make their living. The thing is though is that this guy by definition of having a paying job has an Editor and there must be a filter to some degree on him. So maybe blame the Sun or whatever media conglomerate he works for. 

The Woman's hockey thing, like the Fleury thing on his web-site is over as far as I am concerned. They both issued an apology, lets move on. 

But stay cool BigChief, I would hate to see a post of you on the Internet under a sheet wailing and crying "Leave the Canadian's Women's Hockey Team ALONEEEEE" in your best Chris Crocker voice (kidding) tongue.gif

Flame111

Eric Francis is an idiot and we all know it. Being referred to as a Troll or a Moron or an Idiot offers very little difference. Troll being the more eloquent and politically correct. None the less his opinion is garbage and he is a douche.  This guy is about the most ill informed person on the planet and if it weren't for his mother being a high executive in Sun media he wouldn't even have a job.

And to suggest that Democracy is even present in this great land of ours make me very nervous in your perspective as the Truth and Reality is we are all living in a more dictatorial society than we all would be comfortable in believing. The Media has control over the masses via propaganda and the unfortunate thing is that the propaganda is rarely Truth Driven and is almost always Agenda Driven.

In this case the Agenda is to cause debate and disarray and bring forth an argument that serves to separate more than unite our great nation.

Don't fall into the trap my friend. Don't do it!

I see where you are coming from Terrainman and our Democracy may certainly be within certain parameters for sure but I would not go to the lengths of calling it dictatorial. Certainly more Corporate influence in our Government than before but I don't think it is total. And yes the media certainly influences people, I certainly do not doubt that but it doesn't control everyone. I also agree that things are agenda driven from many sources and truth, well I am not bold enough to think I have that on anything all I have is my own thought, flawed as it may be. I get enlightened here often on my hockey perspective or trade proposals wink.gif

The only thing I really disagree with you on is that an argument, I prefer to call them debates with differing perspective, is a bad thing. Lots of positive things come out of debates and individuality over uniformity is usually, or traditionally preferred. 

You know like the Star Trek individuals vs The collective power of the united Borg happy.gif

Anyways, back on topic. Tomorrow could be another chapter written in the history books as Canada attempts to get 14 gold medals in a single Winter Olympics, something that has never been done. Canada's currently tied with Norway in 2002 and the Soviet Union in 1974 for single gold medals in an Olympic Games (13).

Yeah, I hate to continue to be 'that guy', well I am 'that guy' lets face it. embarassed.gif Although once we get back to Flames hockey my 'that guy' status will disappear, to a degree. 

I know the CDN media is blitzing you guys with this but lets try and keep perspective here. It isn't really historically fair to trumpet this as a amazing feat.  

In 1924 there were only 16 events, 16 total gold medals to win.
In 1964 there were only 34 events, 34 total gold medals to win.
In 2010 there are 86 events.

If you really want to get a realistic feel for just how dominating Canada is being on the gold medal front, you should take the number of Golds won and divide by the number of events for a gold medal ratio. You have to be fair to past Olympics. 

So 14 gold medals divided by 86 events equals - 16.3% gold medal ratio. 

Now lets see how that compares historically ? 

click - click historical records of all Olympic medals here ok, click, click goes the calculator, hmmm not looking good for the early games but the sample size of countries participating is very small too, lets ignore everything until after World War 2, click, click goes the calculator, hmmm this still doesn't look as good as it should, hmmm we're going into the 1980s here, come on, click, click goes the calculator on the gold medal ratio. 

Actually lets just forget the whole thing GO CANADA GO most Gold medals ever in the history of the Olympics, more than any other country ever in history, yes this is a fact, don't talk to me about number of events, I can't hear youuuuuu  happy.gif 

In other news Olli scored two goals including the game winner for the Bronze and Hagman also scored. I know I am the only guy who misses Olli but what a shame he couldn't get support here. He is a great skating and shooting centre, I still think him and Hagman would have had magic for the Flames. 

Flame111

Eric Francis is an idiot and we all know it. Being referred to as a Troll or a Moron or an Idiot offers very little difference. Troll being the more eloquent and politically correct. None the less his opinion is garbage and he is a douche.  This guy is about the most ill informed person on the planet and if it weren't for his mother being a high executive in Sun media he wouldn't even have a job.

And to suggest that Democracy is even present in this great land of ours make me very nervous in your perspective as the Truth and Reality is we are all living in a more dictatorial society than we all would be comfortable in believing. The Media has control over the masses via propaganda and the unfortunate thing is that the propaganda is rarely Truth Driven and is almost always Agenda Driven.

In this case the Agenda is to cause debate and disarray and bring forth an argument that serves to separate more than unite our great nation.

Don't fall into the trap my friend. Don't do it!

Really LRD the GOLDS Deserve it. Don't you think? I know you weren't around back in 88 like myself but not winning any back then to our 13 now is an amazing accomplishment and deserving of at least a Thread in devotion to such effort, heart and commitment in order to get there. Who knows, maybe it just might promote some encouragement towards better play out of our own Flames and too better enthusiazm towards the Olympics on the whole when in consideration to our very own athletes competing in them.

There sometimes is room for positive conversation rather than pure debate like a ton of the threads on this message board are devoted to. These Canadian Athletes whom have put forth such effort do actually deserve our praise if that makes any sense. Yes they got some pretty expencive hardware around their necks right now and the government is forking $20,000 or something like that towards those who won gold but to them I highly doubt that was the reasoning for their time spent devoting to being the best. I am pretty sure it was for all of us and our great country that had something to do with it. And we owe it back to them too in my estimation.

Yes it loads up a bunch of new threads in a category which never or rarely sees the likes of a new thread once or twice a month. But too let's face it. The Winter Olympics only rolls around ever 4 years and on our very own soil only twice in the history of the modern Winter Olympic Games. Too is is a highly significant time to most of us hockey and sports fans which makes up the majority of those who are members of this message board. Adding 13 or 14 new threads in this category in the name of Patriotism, Positivity, Pried and Recognition every 4 years isn't really so bad is it? I hope not. I certainly wouldn't want to offend anyone and sure am in hopes that one day, maybe one of the athletes whom have won gold might hear through the grape vine that there was something devoted to their efforts on the Flames Boards and maybe just maybe they might drop in and see how much we here back in Calgary were rooting for them and how appreciative we are of their sacrifice.

I watched the whole 5 + hours live. From the event as a whole, the crashes (45%?) & drama (Favorites up/down) made it extremely entertaining to watch. From Maelle's first run that she crashed & still finished but out of qualifying, set a bad tone for the day. Then with a threat that the judging committee was going to eliminate the second qualifying run due to the weather delays, it looked like both favored Canadians were done. From that point on it looked like Maelle just locked things down and went for it in every subsequent heat from then on. Some people are saying that her extensive lead in the final race was not that competitive; I say her being so far out in front caused the racers in the back to push harder & thats why two of them crashed. Add to that days perseverance her experience from Turin where she was lifted off the final race by helicopter with a concussion: Wow!

Congratulations Maelle, you have done Canada proud!

No problem buddy. I see there is a lot too and at times it looks a bit rediculous and I can admit that. I am sure the athletes, their friends and family wouldn't think so though. Sometimes simple little things mean a lot sometimes.

LOL I love the last line Brain... Classic that I will have to use.
I cannot take credit for that line as many others have used it before me. A good way to not use vulgarity. I can take credit for referring to Bettman as the "lord of chaos" as I believe him to be an elitist and chaos seems to follow him where he goes; Phoenix & Montreal.And if you dislike Bettman as much as I do, the movie Good cop, Bon cop is very enjoyable. 

I think that it's more than appropriate for Christine to cry as shes human & she needs to get all of that emotion out so that she will be in a good state for her remaining races.

Go Canada Go

First gold medal won in Whistler (As opposed to Cypress or Van). 

When they interviewed him in Whistler town on CTV a couple of hours after the race, the place went nuts with impromptu anthem singing. In the middle of the interview he auctioned off a pitcher of beer, how kewl is that for an Olympic gold medalist. Not to mention that he went 140 KM/h with a helmet painted with a turtle on it.

Congratulations Jon, Go Canada. 

CONGRATULATIONS DENNY MORRISON, MATIEU GIROUX AND LUCAS MAKOWSKY FOR YOUR GOLD MEDAL WIN IN MEN'S TEAM PERSUIT SPEED SKATING TO BRING THE MEDAL COUNT UP TO 23

Bunny04a.jpg

WOMEN'S HOCKEY TEAM CANADA

ShannonSzabados, Charline Labonte, Kim St-Pierre, Carla MacLeod, Becky Keller,Colleen Sostorics, Meaghan Mikkelson, Catherine Ward, Tessa Bonhomme,Meghan Agosta, Rebecca Johnson, Cherie Piper, Gillian Apps, CarolineOuellette, Jayna Hefford, Jennifer Botterill, Haley Irwin, HayleyWickenheiser, Sarah Vaillancourt, Gina Kingsbury, Marie-Philip Poulin

Bunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpg    Bunny04a.jpg              

Bilodeau    Ricker       Nesbitt   Montgomery  Virtue&Moir   McIvor  Humphries & Moise  Hamelin  

Bunny04a.jpg                             Bunny04a.jpg

Hamelin, Bastille, Hamelin, Jean, Tremblay         Morrison, Makowski, Giroux

Silver.jpgSilver.jpg Silver.jpgSilver.jpg             Silver.jpg                            Silver.jpg      

Heil       Robertson     St-Gelais    Groves          Gregg,Roberge,St-Gelais,Vincent           Upperton & Brown    

Silver.jpg

BERNARD, O'CONNOR, DARBYSHIRE, BARTEL

Bronse.jpgBronse.jpgBronse.jpgBronse.jpg

Groves       Hughes    Rochette  Tremblay

canada.gif

CONGRATULATIONS JASEY JAY ANDERSON FOR WINNING CANADA'S 12TH GOLD MEDAL TO BRING THE MEDAL COUNT UP TO 23

Bunny04a.jpg

ShannonSzabados, Charline Labonte, Kim St-Pierre, Carla MacLeod, Becky Keller,Colleen Sostorics, Meaghan Mikkelson, Catherine Ward, Tessa Bonhomme,Meghan Agosta, Rebecca Johnson, Cherie Piper, Gillian Apps, CarolineOuellette, Jayna Hefford, Jennifer Botterill, Haley Irwin, HayleyWickenheiser, Sarah Vaillancourt, Gina Kingsbury, Marie-Philip Poulin

Bunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpg    Bunny04a.jpg              

Bilodeau    Ricker       Nesbitt   Montgomery  Virtue&Moir   McIvor  Humphries & Moise  Hamelin  

Bunny04a.jpg                                             Bunny04a.jpg              Bunny04a.jpg

Hamelin, Bastille, Hamelin, Jean, Tremblay         Morrison, Makowski, Giroux   Anderson 

Silver.jpgSilver.jpg Silver.jpgSilver.jpg             Silver.jpg                            Silver.jpg      

Heil       Robertson     St-Gelais    Groves          Gregg,Roberge,St-Gelais,Vincent           Upperton & Brown    

Silver.jpg

canada.gif

CONGRATULATIONS GUILLAUME BASTILLE, CHARLES & FRANCOIS HAMELIN, OLIVIER JEAN AND FRANCOIS-LOUIS TREMBLAY FOR WINNING CANADA'S NEXT GOLD MEDAL TYING THE ALL TIME GOLD MEDAL RECORD OF 1984 SUMMER OLYMPICS TO BRING THE CURRENT MEDAL COUNT UP TO 21

Bunny04a.jpg

Bunny04a.jpg

Hamelin, Bastille, Hamelin, Jean, Tremblay

Silver.jpg

canada.gif

Of the CTV in studio interviews with the medal winners, Christine's was noteworthy as she really seemed enthralled with her gold metal. She took care and attention of taking it out of the case and she showed the first nations pattern/flag where the design for her medal came from. I found it quite interesting.

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE WOMEN'S HOCKEY TEAM FOR WINNING CANADA'S 8TH RECORD BREAKING GOLD MEDAL IN A 2 - 0 SHUTOUT. WAY TO PLAY GIRLS YOU MAKE US ALL SO VERY PROUD.
THE MEDAL COUNT CONTINUES UP TO 16

Bunny04a.jpg

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php?ci_id=11737&la_id=1&ss_id=22220&player_id=8824'>Shannon Szabados, Charline Labonte, Kim St-Pierre, Carla MacLeod, Becky Keller, Colleen Sostorics, Meaghan Mikkelson, Catherine Ward, Tessa Bonhomme, Meghan Agosta, Rebecca Johnson, Cherie Piper, Gillian Apps, Caroline Ouellette, Jayna Hefford, Jennifer Botterill, Haley Irwin, Hayley Wickenheiser, Sarah Vaillancourt, Gina Kingsbury, Marie-Philip Poulin

Bunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgBunny04a.jpgSilver.jpgSilver.jpg

Bilodeau    Ricker       Nesbitt   Montgomery  Virtue&Moir   McIvor  Humphries & Moise   Heil       Robertson     

Silver.jpgSilver.jpg             Silver.jpg                            Silver.jpg         Bronse.jpgBronse.jpgBronse.jpg

St-Gelais    Groves       Gregg,Roberge,St-Gelais,Vincent           Upperton & Brown       Groves       Hughes    Rochette

canada.gif

CONGRATULATIONS CHARLES HAMELIN FOR WINNING CANADA'S NEXT GOLD MEDAL ALLONG WITH FRANCOUS-LOUIS TREMBLAY'S BRONZE TO BRING THE CANADIAN MEDAL COUNT UP TO 20

Bunny04a.jpg

Silver.jpg

canada.gif