Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

If you were the Flames' GM, what would you do?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1279 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:44 AM

Hey Flames fans. Sorry to see such a poor start. Well, I am a Leafs Fan...I feel for you guys. Your team needs a complete overhaul. My suggestion is to get rid of deadwood starting with Iginla and other vets who just can't handle it anymore. It would give them a new lease on hockey life in another city and bringing in younger decent stars would likely help. I love Jerome and would love to see him as a Leaf. Anyway, good luck tonight against the Oilers...you guys need this win.

#2 Flambeau

Flambeau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

Firstly, I would resign Nystrom.

#3 Cody1774

Cody1774

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:19 PM

Rather then coming up with specific fantasy trades, I will just generalize on how I believe a team should be built in order for success.

First of, goaltending. I still believe in Kipper, but I believe he has been misused for almost his entire time in Calgary. The wins look impressive, but a reliable backup should have been in place long ago. Whether that is Toskala or not moving forward, someone needs to be there who can play at least 15 games, but I like closer to 20.

I truly like the makeup of the defence. I think White, J Bou, and Gio give you adequate puck movement on the back end. Meanwhile, Reg, Sarich and Staios can provide the physicality. I like the mix.

Up front, I think it where the most drastic changes need to be made. I know it is far easier said then done, and I know if would involve letting go some of the guys we've grown accustomed to see play here for quite some time. I really believe you can't rely on one 'go to' guy. If you look around the league at the top teams there is almost always a tandem (sometimes a trio). Not always do they play on the same line, but often they do. Sedins, Marleau/Joe/Heater, Toews/Kane, Datsyuk/Zetterberg, Ovechkin/Backstom, Crosby/Malkin, Parise/Zajac. If you look at the leagues best, they have that real dynamic punch up front. You look at many of the teams on the outside looking in, they lack that. I believe the Flames lack it as well. I think you have to have a legit star to compliment Iggy. It's not Stajan, not Hagman, not Bourque, IMO. It very well could be Backlund soon, but I'm afraid that by the time he's a legit star, Iggy may not be anymore. Anyhow, follow that up with a second line that could be made up of the likes of the before mentioned Bourque, Stajan, Hagman. I think they are perfect examples of 2 line players. Guys that can get hot, but guys that should not be asked to carry the offensive load. Then your bottom 6 should consist of youth and enthusiasm. Right now, they have a very enthusiastic 4th line with Nystom/Mayers/Sutter. I think another similar line, that maybe consists of a bit more skill and maybe more youth would complete the mix.

#4 Cody1774

Cody1774

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:08 PM

Erixon doesn't really excite me. Negrin, Pelech, and Seabrook are the only defensive prospects that I am thrilled about. Not to say Erixon can't develop into a critical piece on the blueline, but I believe that is quite a few years away.

#5 Cody1774

Cody1774

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:38 PM

I hope I'm not going off topic here, but I personally put Hedmen in a class on his own, then Ellis, de Haan, Kulikov in the next class and the rest of the dmen taken in the first round, including Erixon, in their own class.

I think the top 15 picks were very strong in last year's draft, but after that I feel it tails off pretty fast.

Having said everything, if you were to throw last year's Erixon into this year's draft, I believe he'd be top 3, at least top 5 dmen in the draft.  And yes, as cross said, probably a top 10 pick.

#6 LewisD91

LewisD91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:01 PM

-First off, resign Nystrom, McGratton, Toskala, and White. Nystrom and Mcgrats will come cheap, Whitey is an RFA, and if Toskala wants anything more than 1.5mil he can hit the road and we can say hello to Leland Irving.
-Trade Moss + Sarich + Prospect to DET for D Jonathan Ericsson + draft pick/prospect. This free's up 5mil in cap space and gives us room for some talent up front. Detroit likes this deal because Sarich is a big reliable stay at home defensemen and Moss is a local boy who could be the teams next Kris Draper.
-Trade Langkow for Picks/Prospects.
-Sign Alex Tanguay(3yr/10.5mil) Tangs played his best hockey here and I'm sure would love to return. Iggy also scored 50 with him on his line.
-Sign Alexander Frolov to a longterm deal. We need some elite firepower up front if we wanna score goals.
-Let Nemisz play in the big leagues, this organization needs to learn how to develop their young talent, all of the good teams in this league have alot of youth to them. Plus it's better than having a crusty old plugger on our checking line. He has a big body presence and could produce on a line with some of our grinders.
-Finally, I'm assuming Craig Conroy will retire. If he doesn't I think it would be a little disrespectful of the organization to let him walk, if Craig wants to play another season here I guess it wouldn't hurt anybody to sign him to league minimum and stick him in the press box for 75% of the season.

Frolov(4.5)-Tanguay(3.5)-Iginla(7)
Hagman(3)-Backlund(.875)-Kotalik(3)
Bourque(4)-Stajan(3.5)-Dawes(.85)
Glencross(1.2)-Nemisz(.85)-Nystrom(.85)
ex:McGratton, Sutter

Bouwmeester(6.6)-Pardy(.7)
Giordano(1)-Ericsson(1.25)
Regehr(4)-White(1.5)
ex:Pelech, Negrin

Kiprusoff(5.8)
Toskala(1.5)

Cap Hit=55.475
Cap Space=1.325

#7 LewisD91

LewisD91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:11 PM

To be honest , I dont see how you will be able to get rid of Sarich or Lankow. Why would anyone want them? If Sarich was a ' big steady, relaible d-man' then Calgary wouldnt want to trade him. They are trying to trade him because he isnt playing to the standards they were expecting. No different with Lanks...... If Boston came and offered you Ryder ( cap of 4 mil with 2 years left ) for one of your prospects you would laugh. If the Rangers offered Redden with the lines of ' he is a big D-man who just needs a change of scenery and could regain his scoring with you guys' , again you would laugh at them and say no thanks.

Until these guys are about to head into free agency, I dont see a team wanted to pick up a big salary for a player who is struggling.

Sarich's contract isn't that bad. He's a reliable d-man and I've been a fan for awhile, when he first came here he got off to a shaky start but I think hes met the expectations in his salary. BTW he's playing with Giordano at the moment which is by far our best pairing. It's not that he's a useless player who takes up cap space, it's just that we need to offload some of the salary that we have invested in our defense. We clearly cannot score. When you look at the depth chart it just makes sense to part with Sarich.
Bouwmeester(6.6) - With Dion leaving he's clearly our 'stud" on the blueline. It would be silly to get rid of J-bo.
Giordano(1.075) - Just had his breakout year, and his salary is just too much of a bargain. Although I am worried about our situation with him once his contract expires. Plus he's been the best flame all season.
Pardy(0.700) - He can basically do everything Dion could, but he takes up 1/8th of his cap space.
Regehr(4.0) - Having a bad year he's been solid since being paired with White. Also, people would Riot if Reggie got traded.
White(0.950) - Good, young and can grow one hell of a moustache.

As for Langs, There will most likely some teams who did not get lucky in the free agent market in need of a top 6 center. He'd bring experience to a young team and to some GM's he might be seen as the final piece to the puzzle. Not expecting a Subban or Tavares in return but I'm sure you could get picks or prospects for Langs. We see deals like this go down all the time.

#8 LewisD91

LewisD91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:47 PM

@LewisD91 - pretty much any D-man who has been paired up with Gio has been the best pairing but I think your assessment of Pardy can be said for Sarich as well. Right now Sarich's average ice time per game is 15:53 mins and averages 22.7 shifts. That is the lowest amount from your top 6 and barely beats Pardy's time when he was dressed. So if you are another team would you want to pay 3.6 for a 6th D-man or play your own rookie's for 500-700k. Afterall, this is how Giordano was discovered and how many others are discovered. As Cross16 mentioned, I dont see a team taking a 4.5 contract for adding leadership or depth. For that amount of money, they better be very good at something and I think age might be catching up to Daymond. When he was scoring 30 I didnt see anyone around here wanting him traded. Now that he isnt even scoring 20 you guys want him gone and are hoping someone takes him on for leadership ? If any team needs leadership right now its Calgary and this was echoed by Sutter when he traded for Staios and when Brent called out the leadership on this team.

It can be done. More Sarich than Langkow, he's a good defenceman, and good defencemen are hard to come by. There's teams in this league who would give up an asset for Sarich. Langkow, maybe abit of a stretch but deals like this do happen. Example: Last offseason we managed to trade Wayne Primeau and a 2nd rounder for Stralman, Stuart, and a 7th rounder not too bad, Stralman is a pretty highly touted youngster, unfortunately this deal was ruined because we traded him a couple weeks later. But let me reiterate here, I'm not expecting a big payoff for Langkow, just youngins and/or draft picks.

#9 LewisD91

LewisD91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

Mike_Oxlong">

Why would Langkow waive his clause to go to St. Louis?
He would because they are on the fast-track to becoming the Kings/Blackhawks team and due for a nice playoff run

+ More icetime and a big leadership role.

#10 LewisD91

LewisD91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:49 AM

Iggy has more trade value than kessel get real guy. Top line on team canada for a reason

Exactly so why do you move him, you acquire young players hoping that in an ideal world they become a player like that. We already have that so why get rid of Jarome? Why does everyone want to get rid of him? He IS the Flames, IMO without him this team has zero identity(I feel its already lost alot of that after getting rid of Dion) You hang onto guys like this no matter what. You don't get rid of your Sakics, Yzermans, etc..Iggy is in that class.

#11 LewisD91

LewisD91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:03 PM

LewisD91 wrote:
dino7c">

Iggy has more trade value than kessel get real guy. Top line on team canada for a reason

Exactly so why do you move him, you acquire young players hoping that in an ideal world they become a player like that. We already have that so why get rid of Jarome? Why does everyone want to get rid of him? He IS the Flames, IMO without him this team has zero identity(I feel its already lost alot of that after getting rid of Dion) You hang onto guys like this no matter what. You don't get rid of your Sakics, Yzermans, etc..Iggy is in that class.
          Iggy won't be here in 5-6 years anyways, so you're gonna hafta get used to the face of the franchise retiring at some point. I love Iggy, but I am all for dealing him while his value is still high, he is only 2-3 years away from hitting the real twilight of his career. Why not get some serious youth for him while we can? I am a believer that a guy who played top line for Canada, and is known to be a class act and great teammate will be able to fetch a top 5 pick, maybe even 2nd. I don't think you can put him in with the classes of Sakics and Yzermans yet...because he hasn't been able to lead his team to a Stanley Cup title, those guys led their teams to multiple. He lead us to the finals 6 years ago, but since, hasn't been able to lead us outta the 1st round.

I just look at what he's done down the stretch here, and I haven't seen a guy who can carry a team like he was once able to. He did it with less talent to work with when he was at his peak. He plays a pretty balls out physical game, don't those types of players tend to have lower shelf lives?

This team needs youth, and the only way to get it is to trade our real serious asset for a high draft pick and start building around them.

Iginla's actually the only one who single handily carried a team on his back to the finals. Sakic had one of the best rosters of all-time when he won his Stanley Cups, same goes for Yzerman. Steve Y was playing alongside the likes of Shanahan and Fedorov, both in their prime. Sakic, with Forsberg and Hejduk also in their prime. Iggy's biggest linemate down the years has been Craig Conroy, a career high 27 goal scorer. Anyway this is getting a little off topic.

#12 LewisD91

LewisD91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:21 PM

LewisD91 wrote:
Kipper14">

Iggy won't be here in 5-6 years anyways, so you're gonna hafta get used to the face of the franchise retiring at some point. I love Iggy, but I am all for dealing him while his value is still high, he is only 2-3 years away from hitting the real twilight of his career. Why not get some serious youth for him while we can? I am a believer that a guy who played top line for Canada, and is known to be a class act and great teammate will be able to fetch a top 5 pick, maybe even 2nd. I don't think you can put him in with the classes of Sakics and Yzermans yet...because he hasn't been able to lead his team to a Stanley Cup title, those guys led their teams to multiple. He lead us to the finals 6 years ago, but since, hasn't been able to lead us outta the 1st round.

I just look at what he's done down the stretch here, and I haven't seen a guy who can carry a team like he was once able to. He did it with less talent to work with when he was at his peak. He plays a pretty balls out physical game, don't those types of players tend to have lower shelf lives?

This team needs youth, and the only way to get it is to trade our real serious asset for a high draft pick and start building around them.

Iginla's actually the only one who single handily carried a team on his back to the finals. Sakic had one of the best rosters of all-time when he won his Stanley Cups, same goes for Yzerman. Steve Y was playing alongside the likes of Shanahan and Fedorov, both in their prime. Sakic, with Forsberg and Hejduk also in their prime. Iggy's biggest linemate down the years has been Craig Conroy, a career high 27 goal scorer. Anyway this is getting a little off topic.

Id say Kipper is the one who carried that team to the finals...... Iginla played 26 games and had 22 points. Thats decent, but not amazing. Your star player should be averaging a point a game , anything over that starts exceeding expectations. What Kipper did that playoffs was nothing short of a miracle. The saves he was making to keep your team in it was amazing to watch and was more than what anyone expected out of a 3rd string goalie.

Yeah.....your right. I was hoping nobody would pick up on that. Point is that team was Iginla-Kipper-and a bunch of grinders who stepped up big time. I'd say his 22 pts in 26 games were abit more than decent. He scored atleast one OT winner that I can think of and assisted on several. He set up all of Marty's series clinchers and was the strongest skater on the ice for both teams in each series.

But to get back on topic: If I were Dutter I would fire myself and my brother before thinking of moving Iggy.

#13 LewisD91

LewisD91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:40 PM

TheAce wrote:
LewisD91">

Id say Kipper is the one who carried that team to the finals...... Iginla played 26 games and had 22 points. Thats decent, but not amazing. Your star player should be averaging a point a game , anything over that starts exceeding expectations. What Kipper did that playoffs was nothing short of a miracle. The saves he was making to keep your team in it was amazing to watch and was more than what anyone expected out of a 3rd string goalie.
Yeah.....your right. I was hoping nobody would pick up on that. Point is that team was Iginla-Kipper-and a bunch of grinders who stepped up big time. I'd say his 22 pts in 26 games were abit more than decent. He scored atleast one OT winner that I can think of and assisted on several. He set up all of Marty's series clinchers and was the strongest skater on the ice for both teams in every series.

But to get back on topic: If I were Dutter I would fire myself and my brother before thinking of moving Iggy.

#14 LewisD91

LewisD91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

Alright, this is what I'd do if I were GM...

Let Higgins and Mayers walk.
Resign Nystrom, Sutter, White, Toskala, and McGratton 
Sign Colby Armstrong.(3.25mil/season)
Sign Lee Stempniak(5yr/25mil)
Get Tanguay back(4mil/2yr.)
Trade Sarich for a 4th rounder. Salary dump.
Trade Hagman + Dawes + T.J Brodie + 2nd rounder to FLA for Nathan Horton + Keith Ballard + 5th rounder.
If we want to get rid of one of our bad contracts in Hagman, we'd have to get one in return. Florida wouldn't take this deal otherwise. That's why you throw in Ballard to make this deal realistic. They get rid of a terrible contract and player and Vokoun can now sleep safe at night again  We then buyout Ballard's contract and we're left with just Horton and the draft pick. It comes at a cost(buying out the contract) but I believe it's worth it Plus it beats buying out Kotalik, Sarich, Hagman. FLA gets a good prospect, a young player who came off a good season in Dawes, abit of a reclamation project in Hagman but still a good player in his prime and clears alot of cap space in losing Ballard. We on the other hand get Nathan Horton!
Trade Moss + JD Watt anywhere for a 2nd rounder. Also a salary dump.
Trade Staios for whatever we can get. 5th rounder maybe?
Trade Stajan + Pelech for a 2nd rounder.
Trade Langkow for AHL prospect(s).
As for Connie, if he doesn't want to retire yet I suppose it wouldn't hurt anyone to sign him for league min and just put him in the press box for 2/3 of the season. Hes a good guy in the locker room and a classy individual to have on this organization.
Get Nemisz up in the big leagues asap. We called up Backlund and look what happened. Something the Sutters never learned. Youth is good nowadays! Same goes for Erixon. I know some might consider him too young, and he did go 23rd overall. But watching him in the WJC, he easily could have gone somewhere in the range of 7th-10th overall if it were any other year. 
Also, give Brett Sutter a full time job on the big-league squad. The line of Glencross-Sutter-Nystrom would be a dangerous checking line.

Bourque(4)-Horton(3.75)-Stempniak(5)
Tanguay(2)-Backlund(.875)-Iginla(7)
Kotalik(3)-Nemisz(.58)-Armstrong(3.25)
Glencross(1.2)-Sutter(.85)-Nystrom(1)
ex:Conroy,Mcgratton

Giordano(1)-Erixon(.58)
Regehr(4)-White(1.5)
ex:Kronwall,Negrin

Kiprusoff(5.8)
Toskala(2)

Cap Hit = 54.685
Cap Space = 1.615

Draft Picks Acquired:
2nd Round Pick
2nd Round Pick
4th Round Pick
5th Round Pick
5th Round Pick

This gives us an actual good top 6. Stempniak and Horton will produce offense and will be able to feed Bourque the puck. Second line: Iggy and Tanguay is a combination that clearly works, we'd probably get him on a discount due to the fact that the last time Tangs had a decent season was with Iggy. Also, putting Backlund on a line with those two is the best thing you can do for his development. Third line, centered by Greg Nemisz. I don't care if we have a youngin' in our lineup every night, its better than Moss or Conroy and comes at a fraction of the price. Keep in mind this could also be Mitch Wahl it would come down to who has a better camp, I favor Nemisz simply because of his size and scoring ability. Hopefully playing with Colby Armstrong will get Kotalik going, or atleast help him get some home goals next year so they can play his song! Then the fourth line, pretty solid. We all know how hard those 3 can grind. The defense is pretty much the same as last year, except for the addition of Tim Erixon. I know it sounds crazy to have so many youngsters in the lineup, but in Erixon's case it would be the best thing for him to play now and have mentors like Giordano and Bouwmeester. Everything stays the same in goal, keep Kipper and keep Toskala. Give Toskala more games next season though, hes a good backup and you might aswell use him even if Kipper isn't human and can play 78 games a year unphazed.

#15 LewisD91

LewisD91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:23 PM

Alright, this is what I'd do if I were GM...

Let Higgins and Mayers walk.
Resign Nystrom, Sutter, White, Toskala, and McGratton 
Sign Colby Armstrong.(3.25mil/season)
Sign Lee Stempniak(5yr/25mil)
Get Tanguay back(4mil/2yr.)
Trade Sarich for a 4th rounder. Salary dump.
Trade Hagman + Dawes + T.J Brodie + 2nd rounder to FLA for Nathan Horton + Keith Ballard + 5th rounder 
If we want to get rid of one of our bad contracts in Hagman, we'd have to get one in return. Florida wouldn't take this deal otherwise. That's why you throw in Ballard to make this deal realistic. They get rid of a terrible contract and player and Vokoun can now sleep safe at night again  We then buyout Ballard's contract and we're left with just Horton and the draft pick. It comes at a cost(buying out the contract) but I believe it's worth it. FLA gets a good prospect, a young player who came off a good season in Dawes, abit of a reclamation project in Hagman and clears alot of cap space on losing Ballard. We get Nathan Horton!
Trade Moss + JD Watt anywhere for a 2nd rounder. Also a salary dump.
Trade Staios for whatever we can get. 5th rounder maybe?
Trade Stajan + Pelech for a 2nd rounder.
Trade Langkow for AHL prospect(s).
As for Connie, if he doesn't want to retire yet I suppose it wouldn't hurt anyone to sign him for league min and just put him in the press box for 2/3 of the season. Hes a good guy in the locker room and a classy individual to have on this organization.
Get Nemisz up in the big leagues asap. We called up Backlund and look what happened. Something the Sutters never learned. Youth is good nowadays! Same goes for Erixon. I know some might consider him too young, and he did go 23rd overall. But watching him in the WJC, he easily could have gone somewhere in the range of 7th-10th overall if it were any other year. 
Also, give Brett Sutter a full time job on the big-league squad. The line of Glencross-Sutter-Nystrom would be a dangerous checking line.

Bourque(4)-Horton(3.75)-Stempniak(5)
Tanguay(2)-Backlund(.875)-Iginla(7)
Kotalik(3)-Nemisz(.58)-Armstrong(3.25)
Glencross(1.2)-Sutter(.85)-Nystrom(1)
ex:Conroy,Mcgratton

Giordano(1)-Erixon(.58)
Regehr(4)-White(1.5)
ex:Kronwall,Negrin

Kiprusoff(5.8)
Toskala(2)

Cap Hit = 54.685
Cap Space = 1.615

Draft Picks Acquired:
2nd Round Pick
2nd Round Pick
4th Round Pick
5th Round Pick
5th Round Pick

This gives us an actual good top 6. Stempniak and Horton will produce offense and will be able to feed Bourque the puck. Second line: Iggy and Tanguay is a combination that clearly works, we'd probably get him on a discount due to the fact that the last time Tangs had a decent season was with Iggy. Also, putting Backlund on a line with those two is the best thing you can do for his development. Third line, centered by Greg Nemisz. I don't care if we have a youngin' in our lineup every night, its better than Moss or Conroy and comes at a fraction of the price. Keep in mind this could also be Mitch Wahl it would come down to who has a better camp, I favor Nemisz simply because of his size and scoring ability. Hopefully playing with Colby Armstrong will get Kotalik going, or atleast help him get some home goals next year so they can play his song! Then the fourth line, pretty solid. We all know how hard those 3 can grind. The defense is pretty much the same as last year, except for the addition of Tim Erixon. I know it sounds crazy to have so many youngsters in the lineup, but in Erixon's case it would be the best thing for him to play now and have mentors like Giordano and Bouwmeester. Everything stays the same in goal, keep Kipper and keep Toskala. Give Toskala more games next season though, hes a good backup and you might aswell use him even if Kipper isn't human and can play 78 games a year unphazed.

#16 LewisD91

LewisD91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:53 AM

Gone 

Langkow ($4.5) 
Kotalik ($3.0) 
Staios/Sarich (preferably Staios) ($2.7-3.6) 
Moss ($1.3M) 
Conroy (retires) - Though, I wish we could keep him somehow 

Acquire 

Marleau ($6-7M for 1-2 years) - less money per annum would be ideal. 
Tanguay ($2-2.5 for 1 year) 

Extend 

White ($2.5-3M) 
Nystrom ($0.8M if possible) 
Toskala (<$1M if possible) 
McGratton or Mayers ($0.5-$0.8M) 

2010-2011 Flames 

Tanguay (2.5) - Marleau (6.5) - Iginla (7.0) 
Hagman (3.0) - Backlund (1.3) - Bourque (3.3) 
Dawes (0.85) - Stajan (3.5) - Glencross (1.2) 
Nystrom (0.8) - Sutter (0.536) - McGratton (0.547) 

Regehr (4.02) - White (3.0) 
Bouwmeester (6.68) - Pardy (0.70) 
Sarich (3.6) - Giordano (0.892) 
x-Pelech (0.850) 

Kiprusoff (5.83) 
Toskala (1.0) 

TOTAL = $57.6M (Capgeek.com) 
*Obviously the salaries would need to be slightly modified to fit within the Cap. 

Hey, we have Cheechoo in Ottawa who cleared waivers earlier in the season, they will without a doubt ship him off this offseason. I know he's sucked this year but would you take the gamble, get rid of a Langkow or Sarich type salary with a possibility of reigniting a Marleau and Cheechoo combo? 

#17 LewisD91

LewisD91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:03 AM

Heres my 3rd trade scenario now.

Resign White, Nystrom, Sutter, Toskala, and McGratton.
Trade Hagman + Stajan to CAR for rights to Ray Whitney
Sign Ray Whitney for 1.5mil/yr.
Sign Patrick Marleau at 6.5 per year.
Trade Langkow + Pelech for picks/prospects.
Trade Sarich to Ottawa for Cheechoo.
Call up Nemisz and/or Cameron to centre our 3rd or 4th line.
Trade Staios for a 5th round pick

Cheechoo(3.5)-Marleau(6.5)-Iginla(7)
Bourque(4)-Backlund(.875)-Kotalik(3)
Whitney(1.5)-Cameron(.75)-Dawes(.85)
Nystrom(1)-Nemisz(.75)-Glencross(1.2)
ex:Sutter, McGratton

Bouwmeester(6.6)-Regehr(4)
Giordano(1)-Pardy(.7)
Erixon(.875)-White(2.5)
ex:Kronwall

Kiprusoff(5.8)
Toskala(2)

CAP HIT = 54.4 mil

#18 LewisD91

LewisD91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:28 PM

LewisD91">

Heres my 3rd trade scenario now.

Resign White, Nystrom, Sutter, Toskala, and McGratton.
Trade Hagman + Stajan to CAR for rights to Ray Whitney
Sign Ray Whitney for 1.5mil/yr. (You wont get Ray Whitney for 1.5mil more like 3.5mil)
Sign Patrick Marleau at 6.5 per year.
Trade Langkow + Pelech for picks/prospects.
Trade Sarich to Ottawa for Cheechoo. (Cheechoo sucks Ottawa has almost burried Cheechoo in the minors)
Call up Nemisz and/or Cameron to centre our 3rd or 4th line. (What about Mitçh Wahl and Sutter)

Trade Staios for a 5th round pick (You wont be able to dump salary that easily)

Bourque(3.5)-Marleau(6.5)-Iginla(7)
Whitney(3.5)-Backlund(.875)-Kotalik(3)
Nystrom(1)-Mayers(1)-Glencross(1.2)
Sutter(1)-Wahl(.75)-Chucko(.75)

Bouwmeester(6.6)-Giordano(1)
Regher(4)-White(2.5)
Pardy(.7)-Negrin(.85)
ex:Kronwall

Kiprusoff(5.8)
Toskala(2)

CAP HIT = 53.525 mil

Fine then. Trade Sairch for a 4th rounder and trade Staios for Cheechoo. Obviously Cheechoo is coming off a terrible season, but if Marleau was acquired Cheechoo would be a good reclamation project who has existing chemistry with Marleau.

#19 LewisD91

LewisD91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:30 AM

I hope Sutter is really pursuing Whitey and Nystrom. White was arguably our best dman aside from Giordano, and Nystrom is a character guy who plays a solid game. Langs will most likely be on IR for the beginning of the year, so his cap hit would be abit smaller than the full 4.5 he has, am I wrong? With that in mind it would free up a small amount of cap space.

edit: No more Nystrom......

Tanguay(1.7)-Backlund(1.27)-Iginla(7)
Hagman(3)-Jokinen(3)-Bourque(4)
Moss(1.3)-Stajan(3.5)-Glencross(1.2)
Cameron(0.5)-Nemisz(0.5)-Sutter(.85)
ex:Jackman,Wahl
IR:Langkow(4.5)

Gio(1)-Sarich(3.7)
Staios(2.2)-Bouw(6.68)
White(3)-Regehr(4)
ex:Pardy

Kiprusoff(5.8)
Karlsson(0.5)

cap hit = 54.7(this is without Langs cap hit.)

#20 LewisD91

LewisD91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:59 AM

Nystrom was signed by the Wild yesterday.

I am rattled.