The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NFL New OT Rule for Playoff Games

I lke it though, because it keeps game resonable. NFL games are already pretty long for the avg viewer. Plus, if you guarantee certain pocessions you'd wind up with alot of ties like the CFL.

I like it becuase it'l force team to actually play overtime. Not just hope for a decent kick return, a couple of conservative first down calls and then kick a 50sih yarder. now, they'll likely want to be more aggressive to try and get the TD. It also keep pressure on the defence, which is the biggest reason I don't like the CFL overtime.

I think its actually a very fair rule that I think the CFL should adopt as well. The CFL rule just to seems to guarantee ties.

I think the new rule is a little bit too extreme because it prevents a team from winning if/when they win the coin toss in OT and march all the way down to their opponent's 1-yard line. If they cannot score unless it's a TD, then they're going to turn it over on downs. They should make it so that a team can kick a FG when they get inside the red zone or maybe within 10-yards.

But does a team deserve to win if they can finish?

I would say no. its like awarding a goal becuase a team hit the post in overtime or the shootout. if you can't finish the deal you don't deserve to win regardless of how close you came.

What if the returner returned it all the way to the 10 yrd line. Your ok with a team just lining up, kicking a field goal and the game being over?

I woudln't be. Defeats the purpose IMO.

But does a team deserve to win if they can finish?

I would say no. its like awarding a goal becuase a team hit the post in overtime or the shootout. if you can't finish the deal you don't deserve to win regardless of how close you came.

What if the returner returned it all the way to the 10 yrd line. Your ok with a team just lining up, kicking a field goal and the game being over?

I woudln't be. Defeats the purpose IMO.

Gaining the red zone itself is hard man.  I think they just want to prevent teams from gaining the 40 and then kicking it.  If a team can get inside the 10, then i think that's good enough.  Afterall, they still have to hit the FG to win.  It's not entirely a freebie.

With this new rule in place, i see a lot of teams choosing to kickoff in OT rather than receive because it's easy to defend a TD.  Then once they get the ball back, they can march down to the other team's 40 and end the game.

I just don't beleive teams should be rewarded for "good enough". I think either your score, or you don't and it should be that simple. Its not a freebie, the the I'd argue that % of kicks missed inside the red zone is probably single digits.

I agree, but I would ask whats wrong with that? That to me is the gamemanship that makes the NFL so special and would keep defenses relevant in OT where right now, for the most part, they are irrelevant.

I don't think it completely eliminates the first possession fg, I think it atleast gives the other team a chance to match or better. Starting with a fg in the CFL or NCAA is terrible because the other team takes over in fg range, this way the team still has to drive 40 yards or so. And there are definately a few coaches that have a lot of faith in their defense.

I don't think it completely eliminates the first possession fg, I think it atleast gives the other team a chance to match or better. Starting with a fg in the CFL or NCAA is terrible because the other team takes over in fg range, this way the team still has to drive 40 yards or so. And there are definately a few coaches that have a lot of faith in their defense.

The new NFL rule COMPLETELY eliminates the first possession FG.

If you're talking about the two possession OT, then that's true, teams can still kick the FG in OT if they want.  But i hate the two possession OT.  It's not even football.  It becomes the shootout in hockey except each team can take 5-minutes per possession.    

[quote name='The_People1 wrote:

senor_incendiarse']I don't think it completely eliminates the first possession fg, I think it atleast gives the other team a chance to match or better. Starting with a fg in the CFL or NCAA is terrible because the other team takes over in fg range, this way the team still has to drive 40 yards or so. And there are definately a few coaches that have a lot of faith in their defense.

If you're talking about the two possession OT, then that's true, teams can still kick the FG in OT if they want.  But i hate the two possession OT.  It's not even football.  It becomes the shootout in hockey except each team can take 5-minutes per possession.    I don't know if you're just being metaphorical and saying that it's useless for teams who win the coin toss to kick a field goal (or something like that), but nothing's preventing either team from going for the field goal should they win the coin toss. They can still kick a field goal on 4th down should it come to that.

And I don't think you'll see coin-toss winners pass off on first possession. Sure, it's easy to defend against a touchdown, but if your opponents get a field goal only, and then you fail to score a touchdown, they can just march to the 30 yard line and kick a field goal to win it the second time around. By giving the ball away, you're basically hoping the other team screws up if everything's tied after one round. It still has some measure of risk to give the ball away in OT because you don't control your own fate, ultimately.

[quote name='The_People1 wrote:

senor_incendiarse']I don't think it completely eliminates the first possession fg, I think it atleast gives the other team a chance to match or better. Starting with a fg in the CFL or NCAA is terrible because the other team takes over in fg range, this way the team still has to drive 40 yards or so. And there are definately a few coaches that have a lot of faith in their defense.

If you're talking about the two possession OT, then that's true, teams can still kick the FG in OT if they want.  But i hate the two possession OT.  It's not even football.  It becomes the shootout in hockey except each team can take 5-minutes per possession.    

It depends on circumstances, if its a defensive game and you win the toss and get in range, you definately kick and hope your defense holds up.  Even there are instances to do against a good offense, say a team ties the game with a lengthy late drive and wins the toss and gets a long drive going, if it still stalled I think some teams will still kick because of the length of time the other teams offense is off the field.  I think most will gamble if they are inside the 5 just because of the starting field position the other team will get if it fails.  But at the same time it depends on coaching and in the NFL I would say the majority aren't as big of risk takers as colleges coaches