Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

senor_incendiarse

Calgary Stampeders 2010

18 posts in this topic

Replacing Sandro's accuracy won't be easy, but I would look to do that by bringing in a few guys at camp and let them battle for it. For drafting they lost 2 Canadian starting o-linemen, so I see that as the biggest need to fill by way of the draft.

I like Sandro alot, but your going to have a hard time convincing me that replacing him is that essential. Sure it hurts, but at the same time there are kickers everywhere, either through draft or FA, and even if they miss 5% less than Sandro did, your overal impact to your scoring is minimal. The biggest loss for me is not Sandro's accuracy, it was the fact that he was actual worth trotting out in the 45-50+ range to make the game winning kick. Thats what they'll miss.

I agree with Senor, 0 Line is a huge need. Their O line was a huge ratio breaker for them with having most of it Canadian Starters. Luckily I think one of the replacements will be Tim Burke who is also Canadian so it help with their Canadian ratio. But if they can't find a Canadian starter elsewhere your looking at starting Ralph and Franklin more. I'm also concerned about the O-line. Tsoumpous was their best O lineman last year and as well as Burke played, he isn't at that level. Pilon struggled at times but for the most part was solid. They definetly need depth on the Oline.

Defensivly i'm also a little worreid. The release of Shannon James caught me totally by suprise. They also lost Tom jackson who performed admirably at Mike LB last year. So their linebacking core is very much in the open. Their D line is solid with both Hughes and George coming back with Labinjo. Their halfbacks were a huge weakness last year but if Battle is healthy he'll solidify that position.

so basically O- LIne, Linebacker, and defensive halfback are their biggest weakness IMO. I think all 3 are likely to get addressed in the draft, with an emphasis on Oline and LB. Canadian defensive halfbacks are harder to find than LB and Oline.

Meh.

I respect Howell, but he was an avg at best football player. I think the only reason he had a roster spot last few season was his versatility which is important in the CFL. Shoudln't be hard to replace and they've needed an upgrade in the return game for a few seasons now anyway. Howell was solid, but not dynamic and IMO, with the big field, you need a dynamic returner. It changes momentum.

Now 6-1 after destroying the Eskies. And tops in the league heading into the bye.

Last night was embarassing. The score, the actions on the field; it was a good game for the first fifty-five minutes, then quickly degenerated. Kirkland for the Esks and Robede for the Stamps were both ejected for seperate events, both of which were unneccesary on the players' part, and totally justified by the refs. Like the commentators said, there could be a team fine involved, because IMO, there's no need for that behaviour.

- Arjei Franklin getting hammered twice, and hanging tough both times, one for a TD.

- What is up with the QB situation in EDM? It's a mess the way Richie Hall never let any one guy get continuity, even after Ray got knocked out, Maas and Zabransky kept switching off. Terrible coaching.

- Drew Tate's 70's look. Rocks.

- Maver missed a 12 yard kick? Oops.

There's more, but I don't have the time.

Eskimos are a disaster, there is no way around that.

I personally feel they had this coming. Not in a "bad karma" type way, just that it happens. YOu cna't be as good a franchise as the Eskimos have been for so long and not go through some stuff like this. Its just the way sports work.

Kevin Strauser at Offensive coodinator has been a massive fail. HIs play calling is brutal. I've seen at least half a dozen times (and I dont' even watch the Eskimos much) that on 2nd down he will call a play that doesn't even go the distance for a frist down. Its just stupid. And then he has the constant QB switching its just a mess. The Eskmos have zero continuity in their football team and their organization. The veterans don't know which way the organizaiton is going, and the rookies are getting no guidance. I watched their sidelines last night, and not once did I see a player get in the face of someone. Never.

Maver missing that 12 yarder was pretty rough. Hopefully its just a one off. I'm willing to give the guy a break considering it was only his 2nd miss of the year.

The Stamps D is jutting getting better and better though. I really think this year's defence is one we are going to be talking about for a few years. Its as good a unit as they've had in some, some time.

It's great seeing the Stamps with the best record in the CFL, I just hope they can keep up this momentum right through the rest of the season.

Defense has been great so far this year, and the offense is slowly gelling, but they are certainly making progress. Once the offence is firing on all cylinders, this team will be dangerous!

I finally decided to go to a Stamps game last night with some buddies, turns out it was a great idea to go.

Tate is turning out to be a lot better then I thought he would be, He looks like he has good potential.

I agree. I've really liked the progression of Tate. I didn't think much of him when they got him but he has an excellent arm and does have some mobility. I think Tate has CFL all star written all over him. Reading defences and putting touch on the ball are still things he'll have to work on, but that comes with time and experience. The raw tools are already there and you've seen the progression in the other areas already.

Solid trade for the Stamps yesterday. 2nd year linebacker Tristan Black sent to Toronto for Corey Mace. Mace is a really interesting case. Few years ago was considered the best prospect in the CFL Canadian draft and has yet to see a down in the CFL. Spent two years on the buffalo Bills and right now has failed to come to terms with the argos on a deal. Mace can play every position on the dline and would really help the Stamps Canadian depth on the Dline and the defence.

With the drafting, and solid showing of karl Mccartney last week, Black became expendable. Had a solid debut in the cfl, but his foot speed I think makes him only a soso prospect and Mccartney has the brighter future.

^^ Agreed. And it seems they are still not happy where they are. Besides trading for Mace, they've added another linebacker/D-end in Shaun Richardson, and are also looking at former NFLer and D-back Ahmad Carroll.

I think these are all good moves, depth on defence is never a bad thing to have, especially when you are tops in the league.

http://www.calgaryherald....+call/3434052/story.html

http://www.calgaryherald....rroll/3436765/story.html

Aug 27 Update:

Stampeders have officially signed Corey Mace.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Calgary+Stampeders+sign+Corey+Mace/3451655/story.html

^^ Agreed. And it seems they are still not happy where they are. Besides trading for Mace, they've added another linebacker/D-end in Shaun Richardson, and are also looking at former NFLer and D-back Ahmad Carroll.

I think these are all good moves, depth on defence is never a bad thing to have, especially when you are tops in the league.

http://www.calgaryherald....+call/3434052/story.html

http://www.calgaryherald....rroll/3436765/story.html

Aug 27 Update:

Stampeders have officially signed Corey Mace.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Calgary+Stampeders+sign+Corey+Mace/3451655/story.html

I'm not a fan of the Ahmad Carrol move. As a Packer fan I watched that guy struggle way too much in Coverage to be an effective CFL player IMO. He would have to come along way from those days to convince me if can start. He may be able to get in at Half back because of his speed and ability to jump on the ball. But he's too much of a liability to play the corner in the CFL i think.

Mace is a great deal soley from a Canadian standpoint. He has the abilty to become an everydown, top notch, inside pass rusher who can be a real, real ratio breaker for the Stamps and give them some more options with their roster.