The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2010 Mastercard Memorial Cup (May 14-23, 2010)

Wheat Kings fall to defending MasterCard Memorial Cup Champs

Friday-May 14, 2010

BRANDON, Friday, May 14, 2010 – The Windsor Spitfires scored four unanswered goals in the first five minutes of play to open the 2010 MasterCard Memorial Cup, defeating the Brandon Wheat Kings 9-3 in front of a stunned crowd of 5,381 at the Westman Place inside the Keystone Centre.

Windsor Spitfires 5 4 0 9
Brandon Wheat Kings 0 1 2 3

Full Article @ mastercardmemorialcup.com

Full Game Summary

Calgary Wins 5-4 smile.gif

Woohoo....That was quite the game....Things were looking pretty bleak after being down 3-0 in the 1st but they responded with a very strong final 6 minutes of the 3rd scoring 3 unanswered goals. Two more games to go. Really looking forward to Windsor on Monday.

Hitmen Post Impressive Comeback in 5-4 Win over Wildcats

Saturday-May 15, 2010

BRANDON, Saturday, May 15, 2010 – The Calgary Hitmen offence exploded with three goals in the final six minutes of play to surprise the Moncton Wildcats 5-4 Saturday afternoon at Westman Place.

Calgary Hitmen 0 1 4 5
Moncton Wildcats 1 2 1 4

Full Game Summary

That was a great game. I shower for 10 minutes, come out and BAM 3 goals in quick succession. This years team has a lot of character.

I hope Kozun is healthy enough to play more minutes against Windsor.

De Serres shuts the door to give Wheat Kings 4-0 Win

Sunday-May 16, 2010

BRANDON, Sunday, May 16, 2010 – Wheat Kings goaltender Jacob De Serres was brilliant, making 31 saves to earn the shutout and give the home team a 4-0 win over the Moncton Wildcats Sunday afternoon at Westman Place.

Brandon Wheat Kings 1 2 1 4
Moncton Wildcats 0 0 0 0

Full Game Summary

Finally turning into a game. I was starting to lose interest after Windsor got up to a 3-0 lead and I was thinking Windsor was unstoppable. With 2 quick goals now in the latter part of the 2nd, Windsor doesn't look so mighty after alltongue.gif.

GO500px-Calgary_Hitmen_logo.svg.pngGO

Spitfires earn berth in 2010 MasterCard Memorial Cup Final with 6-2 win over Hitmen

Monday-May 17, 2010

BRANDON, Monday, May 17, 2010 – Taylor Hall scored two goals and added two assists to lead the Windsor Spitfires to a convincing 6-2 win over the Calgary Hitmen while also helping them clinch a berth in the MasterCard Memorial Cup championship game on Sunday.

SCORING 1 2 3 Total 
Calgary Hitmen 0 2 0 2
Windsor Spitfires 2 1 3 6

Full Game Summary

It unfortunate the momentum the Hitmen gained in the latter half of the 2nd period didn't translate into the 3rd.

Due to the lacklustre play of the Moncton Wildcats, the likelihood of the Hitmen participating in the Semi-Final is very strong.

Win that, play & beat Windsor in the Final......Hoist the Memorial Cup!..........We Can Do It!!!!!!

Wellwood’s overtime-winner eliminates Wildcats from MasterCard Memorial Cup

Tuesday-May 18, 2010 - The Canadian Press

BRANDON, Tuesday, May 18, 2010 – Eric Wellwood of the Windsor Spitfires (3-0) scored 12:22 into overtime to lead the defending MasterCard Memorial Cup champions to a 4-3 victory over the Moncton Wildcats (0-3).

Philipp Grubauer made 38 saves to help secure the victory and a 3-0 record for the Spitfires, who battled through the haze of indifference in the first two periods of the game. Moncton fell to 0-3 in defeat, which means the tournament will not require a tie-breaking game on Thursday.

Instead, the Calgary Hitmen and host Brandon Wheat Kings -- who meet in the round-robin finale on Wednesday -- will play each other again in the semifinal on Friday for the right to face the Spitfires in Sunday's title game. (The Canadian Press)

SCORING 1 2 3 OT1 Total 
Moncton Wildcats 1 0 2 0 3
Windsor Spitfires 1 1 1 1 4

Full Game Summary

An easy cruise for Calgary into the semi-final against Brandon on Friday irregardless of Wednesday night's result against the Wheat Kings.

Windsor...We're coming to spit on your fire. The Memorial Cup is ours. You had it last yeartongue.gif.

I'd love for the Hitmen to win, but man I thin its going to be tough to beat Windsor. They are just so loaded right now and really have no holes on their roster.

Hopefully the Hitmen avoid the potential trap on Friday. They've dominated Brandon so theres a potential "trap" there, but i've got confidence in the coaching staff and the kids.

They certainy need Kozun back. I dont' think they can win the Memorial cup without him.

It's certainly going to be tough to beat Windsor without all your guys playing their best. I agree with cross, without Kozun, it will take a Herculean Effort from everyone else to win.

But don't get too far ahead of youselves, we still have to deal with Brandon.

GO HITMEN GO!

Look like Kozun will go tonight. We'll see how much ice time he gets and how effective he is.

Awesome semi-final game tonight. 5-4 Brandon over Calgary in OT. Gotta say, didn't really care coming on, but this Brandon team is growing on me. Great bunch of kids it seems. And I think Brayden Schenn is for real.

So Brandon vs. Windsor in the Memorial Cup Final on Sunday.

Let's just see what the morning brings.

[quote name=roll.gifPyromancer]An easy cruise for Calgary into the semi-final against Brandon on Friday irregardless of Wednesday night's result against the Wheat Kings.

Windsor...We're coming to spit on your fire. The Memorial Cup is ours. You had it last yeartongue.gif.

Hi.  Go spit on your own fire.  Thank you, that is all.  coffee1.gif

Yours truely,

FON (faithful Wheaties fan)

P.S.  Have you had your Wheaties today?  biggrin.gif

Fehr Scores in OT and lifts Wheat Kings to MasterCard Memorial Cup Final

Friday-May 21, 2010

BRANDON, Friday, May 21, 2010 – Jay Fehr scored his third goal of the tournament 3:16 into overtime to send the Brandon Wheat Kings to their first MasterCard Memorial Cup championship game in just over thirty years with a 5-4 win over the Calgary Hitmen. 

SCORING 1 2 3 OT1 Total 
Brandon Wheat Kings 0 3 1 1 5
Calgary Hitmen 2 1 1 0 4
SHOTS 1 2 3 OT1 Total 
Brandon Wheat Kings 13 21 12 2 48
Calgary Hitmen 14 5 10 0 29

Full Game Summary

Deeply disappointed. It was a very entertaining game. Martin Jones was making saves that make Kiprusoff look like a mere mortal.

The Memorial Cup requires a full post-season of best of 7 playoffs to win their respective league and qualify a team for participation. I know the format is accepted as it is but does it truly result in the best the best team hoisting the Cup. A round-robin to eliminate one team then a single game elimination to play for the Memorial Cup.

Another whine or sour grapes I have is the participation of the host team. The other 3 teams duly qualified by winning their respective leagues and thus earn the right to participate in a quickie showdown to gain the title of best junior hockey team in Canada. Does the host team deserve to play and win the Memorial Cup in such an abbreviated tournament?

All the best to Brandon against the Spitfires. They brought their A-game for the semi-final and if it wasn't for Martin Jones' highlight-reel saves, they could have beat Calgary by a considerable margin.

FON - I spit fire into your Wheaties when you weren't lookingtongue.gif.

500px-Calgary_Hitmen_logo.svg.png

Deeply disappointed. It was a very entertaining game. Martin Jones was making saves that make Kiprusoff look like a mere mortal.

The Memorial Cup requires a full post-season of best of 7 playoffs to win their respective league and qualify a team for participation. I know the format is accepted as it is but does it truly result in the best the best team hoisting the Cup. A round-robin to eliminate one team then a single game elimination to play for the Memorial Cup.

Another whine or sour grapes I have is the participation of the host team. The other 3 teams duly qualified by winning their respective leagues and thus earn the right to participate in a quickie showdown to gain the title of best junior hockey team in Canada. Does the host team deserve to play and win the Memorial Cup in such an abbreviated tournament?

All the best to Brandon against the Spitfires. They brought their A-game for the semi-final and if it wasn't for Martin Jones' highlight-reel saves, they could have beat Calgary by a considerable margin.

FON - I spit fire into your Wheaties when you weren't lookingtongue.gif.

500px-Calgary_Hitmen_logo.svg.png

Oooooo!  I thought they were extra spicey today.licklips.gif Now I know why.  biggrin.gif

Ridiculous. They already play a full season and a full playoffs. Adding 2 more 7 game series (I think that is what you are suggesting) would but way too many games for these 16, 17 and 18 year old kids. The finals would be played into the draft. This is just not realistic to ask these KIDS to play over 100 games in one year.

Personally, I like it the way it is. I don't pay a lot of attention to junior hockey throughout the year, but come Memorial Cup week I am all in. It is awesome that there is so much on the line on every game, because there are so few of them. It's like the World Juniors. Who can bring it for one all-important game?

I agree. I think the quick round robin, and one game elimination is what helps make the Memorical Cup tournament the Memorial cup tournmanet. Taking it away would cheapen the event IMO.

Windsor was just too good and too stacked. I think the Hitmen would have faired better, but not by much. Thats as a good a team as you may ever find in JUnior hockey in Windsor and they are definetly deserving.

Meh, the format doesn't really bother me anyone that hates it should also hate the international version too. Midget and junior A have the same format. I do think losing teams get a bum rap though, no team in the tournament outside the host deserve the loser tag, Moncton and the Hitmen are champions of their league and deserve to be acknowledged as top teams in the CHL. The only change I would bring is to eliminate the host team, every odd year the host team isn't on the same level. I don't know if Windsor was that good or if they just got on a crazy roll, either way the Hitmen weren't playing their best so I doubt they would have won. I think last years Hitmen could have beat last years Spitfires, and that was their year to win.