The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Galarraga Gets Shafted Out Of Perfect Game

The umpire has even appealed to Selig to have it overturned. Hes claiming full responsibility and apologized to everyone he can.

I think Selig should at least consider moving to Instant Replay, this never would've happened if they had a system like such.

Credit to the ump for owning up for his mistake. Many officials in todays sports have become hotheads and would never admit to making a mistake. Leyland said he hopes that replay isn't brought into the game as it takes away the human element. I hope replay in baseball stays as is and only for homeruns, the only way I'd like to see it is if they had someone working up stairs who could communicate with the crew chief to tell him if a mistake was made, but I'd hate if it became a coach's challenge type thing. Thats good for football, but would be terrible for baseball.

Credit to Galarraga for being so civilized and understanding about the whole thing. He shrugged, forgave and laughed it off.

Crappy situation.  Selig is a dickhead for not reversing the call.  At least Galarraga and the Ump handled the aftermath with class.

My first reaction was for Selig to overturn the call.

But you set a very dangerous precedent if you do. Whats to stop a team from appealing another call and all of a sudden he is stocked up with appeals to overturn calls.

Yes I know this call was obvious and the situation was different, but you blur the line if he overturns the call. Plus, you basically throw your umpires under a bus.

He made the right call, but if he doens't use it to put in instant replay he will be an idiot.

In all honesty, I think MLB should have had video replay before ANY other league. It is very easy for them to implement, considering most of the time the camera would only have to be fixed on bases and the mound (with the exception of a few foul ball/homerun calls).

I have played baseball my whole life at many competitive levels, as well as coached and umpired. I do see validity in the "human error being a part of baseball" argument, however with many other sports turning to replay, I think it would be a shame not to have it in game where every ball and strike mean so much, as well as the fact that IMO baseball has the highest rate of blown calls.

As for the whole appeal to Selig, I say we raise up in mutiny and get that moron out of office, and then move forward with a different commish and get that replay up and running.

BTW, if they're not going to give instant replay a chance to decide games, why do they show 30 replays after a "questionable' call? It just seems a little stupid to me.