Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Demonous_Xodus

Montreal Cougars players brawl with Hamilton fans

5 posts in this topic

Well, if they were being heckled about their heritage and bill 101. I don't like the fighting over the fans but its still not something to do.

Its like me reaching over the bench at a Flames game and dropping the N bomb on Iginla. Its not cool and I'm sure someone on the bench would hit me square in the face.

I get your point, and don't get me wrong...   I do not excuse the fans behavior either...   There was obviously a lack of class on their part, and that is why in fairness I included the references to Bill 101 (which in my opinion is a ridiculous bill to start with...   but...)...   There is no doubt in my mind that there were some nasty insults from the crowd.   But having 20 plus players leap into the stands was not called for either.   Look at the part where one fan is being beaten by a few teammates, and one player seems to find it necessary to grab a milk crate and bash him in the head.   I played hockey, football and soccer for several years, and played on teams that when playing an away game, usually after regular season, were from time to time heckled or insulted, and even had the odd can or bottle thrown at us on occasion when on enemy turf, but the thought of us leaping into the stands en masse never would have occured to any of us.   You just laughed it off, took the morons at face value, and played harder.

Look at the riots that have occured in Montreal (hockey and music concerts), Edmonton (Canada day of all things) and Vancouver (1994 Stanley Cup run) for example...   Thankfully this has not occured in Calgary, as the Red Mile has been more of a drunken party.   To condone what the Montreal team did is to condone anarchy and gang mentality.

The video displays the gang stomping mentality that has become all too common in society these days...   There were a number of those attacks in the stands that are nothing less than criminal behavior...   This was more like a swarming in some of those incidences, not just a punch in the face...

For any team, in any sport, what they did is just unacceptable...

I have played two years for the St-Leonard Cougars so I guess I could speak about this. I was about to post a thread on this. I always hated this organisation and always thought they were a joke. Yes, I did not want to play for them but I was forced to. Forced to play amateur football? Yes indeed.

St-Leonard won't let the players in Anjou/P.A.T(I live in Anjou, it's two little areas of Montreal) play for another team than them. I asked to be realesed and they said they would rather keep me, even if I'd only be on the pratice team, than to let me play for another team. That was dumbest thing I've ever heard in my whole life, as I was just a 16 year old kid looking to have fun. I wanted to play for a team where all my friends/coaches I knew where and they didn't let me go there until last year only because I got fed up of their bullcrap. And guess what, when I finally got to play with the team I wanted, we were about 15 players for each games. 15 players because St-Leonard would take rights to every kid  that wants to play football in pretty much all areas and sit them on the bench/pratice team, leading to having rival teams with the minimum possible roster. My team died this year and there's no more football in this area. We couldn't keep up with the few players we had because we were losing about 4K per year, so they decided it was over.

This is only to say this organisation has ZERO class. They take amateur football as serious as if it was business football. I know most of the guys in the junior team, and they are classless too, for most of them. I do understand that they were insulted and called french kneeings by Hamilton kneeings, they were thrown bottles and liquid, they were even spit on. This is something I would of thought of doing too, but never would have done. These guys are a joke for football. They are as dumb as Rick Rypien. They have no respect for anybody, and their fans are piece of trash too. I remember playing game at home and being embarassed by our home fans screaming racist words when we played a french-speaking team. Yes, the team is 100% anglophone, and the coaches never speak a word of french, even if we're in Quebec, most players (especially the veterans) are forced to speak in english only. For them, french is the langague of ''f***''. I remember when the team finally released me how bad I was insulted and how bad they would speak of the other teams. These guys are a real bunch of hypocrites. Even the parents, the volunteers and others were told that when they attend game they have to insult the oppenent's team as much as they can. And it wasn't ''fair'' insults, just to get in the mind of the other team's players. It was personal things that made me sick. What they didn't get is that it's freaken AMATEUR football, it's not the CFL or the NFL.

So basically, when they said they were insulted based on the fact that they were from Quebec, that made my day. I laughed so hard. This is just an excuse to give to hide the fact that the players, coaches, and the whole organisation is a pure joke. I hope they don't only get a 5 year ban, I hope they're gone for good, let the city have 3-4 more teams and that would give a chance to about 200 more kids to actually play their sport. 

Well, with what Louis just said. I guess I'll have to take what I said back.

They do sound like a bunch of worthless pricks.

I don't think its ever an excuse to go at the fans like that. No matter what they say. Act professional, even if you're a amateur football team like this. I've been on teams where we've been heckled pretty hard, and played against organizations similar to what Louis is describing. I've been heckled, insulted, and had teammates been subject to racism. Not once has me or a teammate even considered getting in an altercation with the fan. If anything, it makes me play harder, nothing gets you going like a building filled with home spectators booing and swearing at you as you lineup the penatly shot, PK, or what have you. Its right up there with being infront of your home fans. The feeling when they sit down and shutup is more satisifying than beating the living crap out of them(and lawsuit free!).

I remember one time I was watching the pens vs flyers in the playoffs a few years back, the camera was on Georges Laraque as he was heading back through the tunnel into the dressing room from the warmup. Fans were heckling him and calling him out. He looked up at them and confidently said " Hey, how much money do you make?" then continued down the tunnel laughing as the people who had been heckling him went dead silent.