#1 Louis23

Louis23

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts
  • LocationMontréal, Québec

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:56 PM

I knew they were gonna be bad, but THIS bad? Wow. Khabibulin was supposed to carry this team, and right now he wouldn't stop a beach ball. -24 differential this early in the season? WOW. Khabibulin's GGA is 4. I know they are promised to a bright future, but right now I'm having a hard enough time to watch Flames games, I wouldn't want to know how an Oiler fan can feel.. I guess the positive part is that they will draft Either Couturier or that Defenceman from Sweden..

#2 DL44

DL44

DON'T CALL IT A COMEBACK.....

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts
  • LocationLeft Coast

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:00 PM

I knew they were gonna be bad, but THIS bad? Wow. Khabibulin was supposed to carry this team, and right now he wouldn't stop a beach ball. -24 differential this early in the season? WOW. Khabibulin's GGA is 4. I know they are promised to a bright future, but right now I'm having a hard enough time to watch Flames games, I wouldn't want to know how an Oiler fan can feel.. I guess the positive part is that they will draft Either Couturier or that Defenceman from Sweden..

Is it really good form to attempt to pile on a team that's only 3 pts behind you guys?
they even have a better PP. and the same number of regulation losses after the same number of gms.

They probably also have a better chance of finishing stronger than the flames considering the expected upswing of the development of their youngens...

I would hold off a bit longer to see how the flames end up before throwing too many stones since the Flames presently are also in the running for 'Couturier or that Defenceman from Sweden'

Many oil fan could come back with a legit argument that the flames have actually been more disappointing than the Oilers thus far considering expectations.....

#3 senor_incendiarse

senor_incendiarse

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:36 PM

Is it really good form to attempt to pile on a team that's only 3 pts behind you guys?
they even have a better PP. and the same number of regulation losses after the same number of gms.

They probably also have a better chance of finishing stronger than the flames considering the expected upswing of the development of their youngens...

I would hold off a bit longer to see how the flames end up before throwing too many stones since the Flames presently are also in the running for 'Couturier or that Defenceman from Sweden'

Many oil fan could come back with a legit argument that the flames have actually been more disappointing than the Oilers thus far considering expectations.....

I was unaware the Flames had high expectations. If anything they are meeting most fan and media pre season expectations. I've heard so much that they would be a more competitive team this year, that road trip didn't prove it. I heard they would be a more potent offense, they haven't been. The youth was supposed to inject an imediate culture change similar to the Chicago's, Washington's and LA's, but right now I don't see it. I'm not bragging about our performance I'm as disappointed as any, but I ain't gonna crown the Oilers either cause they haven't shown anything either.

#4 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,160 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:18 PM

Given the Oilers' D core and the fact that really Khabiboulin is alos a top notch goalie in contact years its not suprise at all how the Oilers are playing.

#5 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,957 posts
  • LocationNot So Far North

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:16 AM

I have to give SmackIntyre credit for going after Boogaard twice in one game though... and I'd maybe give Smack the win on the second round...

Round 1

Round 2

#6 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,957 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:39 PM

The brawl from the same game... The part that best shows the Avery sucker punch is at 3:35...

#7 DL44

DL44

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts
  • LocationLeft Coast

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:12 PM

Not a sucker punch imo.

Avery got his gloves off and swung fast... but show me how that's different to what fighters like Rypien and Prust try to do... get off first and quickly.

It's not a sucker punch when the other guy is facing you and has his gloves dropping as he gets hit.

Wasn't the most noble way of doing it... but it is a fight.... and fighters do this all the time. Avery just happened to land his 1st one right on the button.... oh, and his name is Avery.

#8 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,154 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:54 PM

Well, they're on pace for 57 points this season which is 5 points less than even last season when they had 62 points. I don't know where the topic went but in the Western Conference Prediction thread, I thought the Oilers were going to be 15 points better than last season... which is still good for last place in the Conference but still, I agree, i thought the Oilers were a bad team, just not THIS bad.

They can't beat anybody but the Flames...

#9 littlereddevil

littlereddevil

El Vicepresidente of Calgary Flames Positively Angry Mob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:09 PM

They practically got an AHL defense, that's why they're losing so many games.

Smid-Foster
Peckham-Whitney
Strudwick-Gilbert

Yeccchhhh. No wonder Khabibulin's having to stand on his head every night.

#10 UnrefinedCrude

UnrefinedCrude

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:26 AM

Smid-Foster
Peckham-Whitney
Strudwick-Gilbert

This is exactly the problem in Edmonton.

It is pretty unfair to blame Khabibulin given the ridiculous scoring chances he faces every night.
The Oilers have added talented youngsters, but they still need to weed out some vastly overpaid veterans.
They need to get some NHL level D-Men. And they are in even worse shape than the Flames when it comes to Centers.

#11 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,957 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:55 AM

Smid-Foster
Peckham-Whitney
Strudwick-Gilbert

I'll bet they are really Souray about one contract they signed, maybe even Sour about it... ;)

#12 returnofthejets

returnofthejets

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:21 AM

I also wouldn't be to worried about faulting the oilers at where they stand. I'm sure they're fully aware of how things sit for them but are working and building on trying to get to a stage where they'll start to work up from the bottom of the pack. I see them a few years from starting to climb and I wouldn't be to down on them for being where they are right now as that is expected in a rebuild situation.

The Flames however aren't in rebuild mode. This is a team full of veterans and experience. The media and fan expectations may not have been very high but I don't think they were this low. There is still time to work back up to the level of expectations and challenge for a bottom playoff position but one must start to wonder if this team has it in them to want it bad enough.

#13 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

Elder Statesman

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,894 posts
  • LocationFriendly Manitoba

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:55 AM

I'll bet they are really Souray about one contract they signed, maybe even Sour about it... ;)

Terrible puns Carty! I gave you a +.
(I like groaner jokes.)

#14 DL44

DL44

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts
  • LocationLeft Coast

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:20 PM

I was unaware the Flames had high expectations. If anything they are meeting most fan and media pre season expectations. I've heard so much that they would be a more competitive team this year, that road trip didn't prove it. I heard they would be a more potent offense, they haven't been. The youth was supposed to inject an imediate culture change similar to the Chicago's, Washington's and LA's, but right now I don't see it. I'm not bragging about our performance I'm as disappointed as any, but I ain't gonna crown the Oilers either cause they haven't shown anything either.

Tell that to your GM... or your captain.. or the players on the team... or your fans after pre-season..
Flames were built to be competitive and make the playoffs. It's a veteran club with the pieces added with the objective to win. They are NOT rebuilding. They are operating below expectations and far below internal expectations.

The Oilers are in full rebuild mode incorporating their rookies and youth. Completely opposite end of the spectrum. You are mistaking the oiler's 'hope' and calling it expectation...

I just think it's bad karma to try to jump on a team while your own is strug ga ling.

#15 bigchief

bigchief

Global Moderator! Global!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:11 PM

Tell that to your GM... or your captain.. or the players on the team... or your fans after pre-season..
Flames were built to be competitive and make the playoffs. It's a veteran club with the pieces added with the objective to win. They are NOT rebuilding. They are operating below expectations and far below internal expectations.

The Oilers are in full rebuild mode incorporating their rookies and youth. Completely opposite end of the spectrum. You are mistaking the oiler's 'hope' and calling it expectation...

I just think it's bad karma to try to jump on a team while your own is strug ga ling.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think you are right DL. It is my job as a fan to have high expectations for this team. We have been following a strategy of not rebuilding but adjusting along the way with the intent of always being competive. The only time a fan is supposed to be understanding about losing is when a total rebuild is underway or maybe some really bad luck with injuries neither of which apply as valid excuses to the Flames IMO. I want us to win, I want us to compete, I want to see results and though I am glad that the Oilers are currently sucking harder than us, I can't say that the reasons for our subpar record have a lot in common with Edmonton's.

This team has to turn it around and fast or it will be another year out of the playoffs.

I would love to see the Oilers soften their rebuild strategy enough to put Eberle on the market in order to speed up their blueline rebuild by buying a defense. I know he is an Oiler but I gained a lot of admiration for the way he plays from his junior days not the least of which the clutch performances in the WJC. Not probable to happen but they would still have good high end scoring prospect depth remaining and likely another high pick on the way and as long as they felt a quality D was coming back or even a two for one?

#16 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

Elder Statesman

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,894 posts
  • LocationFriendly Manitoba

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:25 PM

Chief, I feel the same way about Eberle & would love to have him on either of my teams. Both just happen to have enough D to help the Oilers partially fill that hole.

#17 senor_incendiarse

senor_incendiarse

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:42 PM

Well if you think about the majority of gm's and captains were optimistic. Hell do you think Tambellini and Horcoff were predicting to be as bad as they have been? I heard a lot of optimism coming from that camp too.

I don't consider what the Oilers are doing is a full rebuild. They put in 3 first round picks, nobody else is considered a rookie on that team. They only have 2 defensemen under 25 and neither of them have top pairing potential. If it's a full out rebuild I see it as a failure so far, cause that team aint getting better til the backend has promise and until they get decent prospects in that area it likely won't.

As for the karma thing whatever I've heard so much smack about the Flames struggles from my Oiler fan friends (ones who predicted them to make the playoffs and the Flames to finish dead last, worse than them last year) that it just amuses me. Its a rivalry dude, during good or bad it never dies if you can't battle for first mine as well battle for who's not the worst.

#18 Louis23

Louis23

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts
  • LocationMontréal, Québec

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:29 PM

Oilers at it again tonight. 5-0 at home. I know, we're not better. But boy, this team is awful..

#19 littlereddevil

littlereddevil

El Vicepresidente of Calgary Flames Positively Angry Mob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:57 PM

Move over Oilers.

We're going to have a nice long discussion.

#20 DL44

DL44

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts
  • LocationLeft Coast

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:51 AM

I don't remember a team get rolled this much and this badly so often so early in recent memory...
can you guys?

5-0
6-1
6-2
7-1
8-2

half their reg losses have been blown outs.

I know Carolina has be schizo lately but at least they've come back with blowouts themselves..
Their last 7...
7-1 W
7-2 L
8-2 L
7-1 W
7-4 L
3-2 W
7-2 W

Trying to bring back the 80's all on their own..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users