The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Louis23

Oilers

You banging your chest already?

One of the streakiest teams in the NHL over the last few years has gone on a winning streak and roared all the way up the standings to tied for last, and you're looking to trumpet?

Ottawa (one win - Toronto - in their last 6, scoring 6 goals, 3 of which were against the Leafs), Montreal (good win), Toronto (their 4th loss in a row, scoring a total of 4 goals) and a beat-up, struggling St Louis team (5th loss in a row).

Impressive.

And remember, the Leafs were 4-0-0 to start the year.

I'm an Oiler fan, I like to think I don't drink the kool-aid, or see everything through Oiler colored glasses. I've been a season ticket holder for 14 years, so maybe I'm just a masochist.

I don't think who the team beats tempers whether or not Oiler fans should or can be happy when the team enjoys success.

When you finish dead last, the previous year, there are no easy teams or gimme games on the schedule.

Success is relative; for the Oilers to beat anyone is a measure of success, because last year everyone was better then them. So really every win is reason to see improvement.

It's paradoxical to teams that were expected to make the playoffs; if they lose a game to a non-playoff team or fall out of playoff contention I think a more thorough critique of the opponents they lose to and why they're losing, is warranted, as opposed to any team a club like the Oiler's, at this point in their development, should happen to beat.

I'm having a blast this year. I'm seeing steady improvement from the team. I'm watching some great young talent grow up in front of my eyes, and I have a positive vibe about the team's future. Something that's been in short supply for Edmonton's (maybe Alberta's) NHL team(s) for years.

Are we still gonna suck for a while? Yea, more than likely. But like they say, sometimes the journey can be as much fun as the destination.

Are we still gonna suck for a while? Yea, more than likely. But like they say, sometimes the journey can be as much fun as the destination.

You sir, have graduated beyond troll-level. This was basically the Flames through the late 90s, early 00s (hopefully not the next few years...). I definitely appreciate a fan who can cheer a team through good and rough times. Besides, the Oilers will probably be pretty quick/scary to face once Eberle, Hall and MPS actually get their groove on. They can only get better in the next few years. For now, take it a game at a time.

I think the Oilers' main problem at the moment is twofold; paper-thin defense and inconsistent goaltending.

Defense: while the offensive abilities of Whitney and Foster are sufficient to man a power-play, there is no one guy who is that go-to guy. Some people would say the required Norris-nomination caliber guy. Gonchar, Keith, Lidstrom. The guy who runs a solid PP and can will still be great in his own end (i.e. not Markov, Corvo). In addition, depth d-men who can be relied on to provide ~10 minutes of safe playing time; Strudwick, Smid do not cut it.

Goalie: I was sure that the Bulin Wall would at least be solid enough to not cause worry. He's been bad, definitely not worth his contract. Dubnyk has been acceptable, but probably only to the level of a backup. Gerber has provided solid play in the 2 (?) games he's been in. Can he be counted on for more games? Doubt it.

I don't know enough about the Oilers farm to say...do they have any prospects that are close to filling these gaps? Anyone that might be close to pinch in?

You banging your chest already?

Haha no. ( I still expect to miss the playoffs by a wide margin, my real fear is that the Oil win just enough to not get one of the draft picks we need.)

But i was expecting some interchange on this thread, with the Flames fall.

Where'd all the fun little jibes go? It's mostly good natured, I think, I remembered this thread, and was a bit amazed it had gone so quiet.

All our little trip through the East proved is that TO and Ottawa really are as bad as they seem, and Montreal is all goalie.

You sir, have graduated beyond troll-level. This was basically the Flames through the late 90s, early 00s (hopefully not the next few years...). I definitely appreciate a fan who can cheer a team through good and rough times. Besides, the Oilers will probably be pretty quick/scary to face once Eberle, Hall and MPS actually get their groove on. They can only get better in the next few years. For now, take it a game at a time.

I think the Oilers' main problem at the moment is twofold; paper-thin defense and inconsistent goaltending.

Defense: while the offensive abilities of Whitney and Foster are sufficient to man a power-play, there is no one guy who is that go-to guy. Some people would say the required Norris-nomination caliber guy. Gonchar, Keith, Lidstrom. The guy who runs a solid PP and can will still be great in his own end (i.e. not Markov, Corvo). In addition, depth d-men who can be relied on to provide ~10 minutes of safe playing time; Strudwick, Smid do not cut it.

Goalie: I was sure that the Bulin Wall would at least be solid enough to not cause worry. He's been bad, definitely not worth his contract. Dubnyk has been acceptable, but probably only to the level of a backup. Gerber has provided solid play in the 2 (?) games he's been in. Can he be counted on for more games? Doubt it.

I don't know enough about the Oilers farm to say...do they have any prospects that are close to filling these gaps? Anyone that might be close to pinch in?

On your Oilers problems you forgot too small and unskilled at center.

I doubt we have a Norris caliber D-man in the system, but we do have a few guys with potential. They won't be ready this year though.

Our D core is a big problem right now for sure.

I think Khabbi was trying to play thriough a minor injury, until he hurt himself. I hope he'll be up to form now that he had some time on the IR. I agree Dubby has some way to go before he is a starter. In fact I think at most he would be a placeholder, as we have Olivier Roy in the system, but he's not gonna see NHL ice until right around the expiry of Khabbi's contract.

Really, I am kind of hoping the Oilers don't rise too high in the standings. We need a lottery pick, hopefully number 1 again,(ideally winning the lottery to get it!) We need a big two way center like Couturier more than anything else.

this link was on twitter "VIDEO: Watch Linus Omark's neutral zone spin & ensuing game-winning shootout goal > http://bit.ly/fAKpR4"

pretty gutsy thing to try, if he had missed people would've been calling him out pretty hard.

the gorwing pains are around from time too time but the future is brite in edmonton. hall eberle paajarvi and lots more. these young guns will learn the tricks of the trade more and more (in fact they have learned quicte a bit, as the oil are winning lots of games now!)

Ok, bring it here. Leave your comments, thoughts or whatever on the Oilers here. If you want to tell me how bad the Oilers are compared to the Flames, say it here.

(well... since you asked)

Remember when people thought the Oilers were for real this yr?

Seems so long ago.

One single 6 game winning streak. That's it.

They were 2-2-2 before it. And since... well... you know...

( but in case you don't: 10-24-3 since.. 10 wins/ 27 losses )

The 6 game road trip that we thought would determine what they were made of - wrecked em.. and sent on a spiral they haven't recovered from.

Sort of funny... then sort of sad... but then really funny again when you read back on Oiler fan comments after 12 games.

(well... since you asked)

Remember when people thought the Oilers were for real this yr?

Seems so long ago.

One single 6 game winning streak. That's it.

They were 2-2-2 before it. And since... well... you know...

( but in case you don't: 10-24-3 since.. 10 wins/ 27 losses )

The 6 game road trip that we thought would determine what they were made of - wrecked em.. and sent on a spiral they haven't recovered from.

Sort of funny... then sort of sad... but then really funny again when you read back on Oiler fan comments after 12 games.

Well, you know how fans are, especially if you're a Canucks fan. The Canucks started the season in the opposite way and I saw several fans asking for a rebuild in the Canucks forum.

The bottom line is the beginning of the season isn't long enough to judge a team but its easy to draw conclusions because all teams are different than the year prior so those beginning games of the season is all one has to judge their "new" team by.

Well, you know how fans are, especially if you're a Canucks fan. The Canucks started the season in the opposite way and I saw several fans asking for a rebuild in the Canucks forum.

riiiiiightt..

Whatever makes you feel better i guess....

Ok, bring it here. Leave your comments, thoughts or whatever on the Oilers here. If you want to tell me how bad the Oilers are compared to the Flames, say it here.

:lol: I don't blame you for bringing it in here. At least now you'll have some back-up. It was you versus everyone else in the other threads. I still think the real problem with the Oilers is mismanagement. There is just no reason for this team to be doing poorly other than it's just not built properly. You guys have some cap space and a ton of guys coming off of the books at the end of the season. If they don't use that to at least bolster your blue line than you'll have to admit that's the case. Or was that the goal last off season?

:lol: I don't blame you for bringing it in here. At least now you'll have some back-up. It was you versus everyone else in the other threads. I still think the real problem with the Oilers is mismanagement. There is just no reason for this team to be doing poorly other than it's just not built properly. You guys have some cap space and a ton of guys coming off of the books at the end of the season. If they don't use that to at least bolster your blue line than you'll have to admit that's the case. Or was that the goal last off season?

It wasn't the lack of backup as much as all the other topics being turned into Flames vs Oilers.

Going into this season, I thought it was an analysis year. Tambelinni was going to see who would be a part of the future and who wouldn't be.

I'm with you for next season. If the Oilers don't make a significant improvement in the standings, heads are going to roll.

It wasn't the lack of backup as much as all the other topics being turned into Flames vs Oilers.

Going into this season, I thought it was an analysis year. Tambelinni was going to see who would be a part of the future and who wouldn't be.

I'm with you for next season. If the Oilers don't make a significant improvement in the standings, heads are going to roll.

I think a significant change is needed, one... Renney is not the coach to get this team to the playoffs. Time and time again the Oil lack motivation, self confidence and inconsistency... hell I want the entire coaching staff to change.

Secondly, cut off the dead weight... we really need that defense and I'm not high on Omark. God... it's like the Schremp fans all over again.

Rant:

I'm tired of the damaged goods management acquires. There has to be more legitimacy in the line up with the types of players which can fulfill a role and stay consistent on that role. Potter was over looked by his old team and now he's a bright spot, which is great but man do we seriously need to go through 5-6 guys before someone turns out. Barker? Are you kidding me?!

I don't want any more projects for Renney to re-tool. While it's a rebuild I can understand but I want a competitive edge... this loser mentality has got to stop.

Also Rexall... man oh man, I want that building to be torn to shreds. The ice sucks and with as many shows or concerts being put on during off game nights has me concerned quite a bit for the quality of ice.

The injuries??!! What the heck!!!! Last summer Tambi has gotten more gritty and tough players but they're barely used, if at all...

Tambi is moving a bit slow, great for patience but we need results and 2012 is the last year I will put up with low rankings.

Rant

I'm tired of these damaged Oilers fans creeping upon our Forums. There has to be more consistency with whom we let tear on our walk of fame.

We are not here for moral support. See a psychiatrist! You want replenishment? Drink water.

But by no means ask a Flames fan what the Oilers or Canucks can do better, becuase it is clear, that YOU BOTH SUCK!!!! Sure maybe the Nucks make the playoffs, but NOBODY is afraid of them. Like playing jump rope without the rope! The Oilers, well, this WAS their season, it didn't turn out too great, coulda been a monumental stride for the team, but unfortunately they CRIPPLED and now their STARS will only become AVERAGE!!! Talk about a waste of a #1 pick three years in a row..... OH WAIT the Oil haven't ruined Yakopov yet......EVERY hockey players dream is TO NOT GET DRAFTED BY THE EDMONTON OILERS!

Couldn't say it better myself......OH WAIT, I JUST DID!

The bottom line is the beginning of the season isn't long enough to judge a team but its easy to draw conclusions because all teams are different than the year prior so those beginning games of the season is all one has to judge their "new" team by.

Imo the canooks and flames are in the same pickle. They both lack stars for the future. I under stand that they have coddy the hog, but once the sister retire they have nothing, like us. LEts face it once iggy and kipper retire, then we're screwed. We don't need a full rebuild, but if we don't get some more quality draft picks like sven, then the future for us looks bleak. What I like about Us Is we have a great group of young talented goalies, and some good prospects in the WhL, but other then that we're F?*?&ked for the future. I hope we can draft maxès brother, or a good center.

Rant

I'm tired of these damaged Oilers fans creeping upon our Forums. There has to be more consistency with whom we let tear on our walk of fame.

We are not here for moral support. See a psychiatrist! You want replenishment? Drink water.

But by no means ask a Flames fan what the Oilers or Canucks can do better, becuase it is clear, that YOU BOTH SUCK!!!! Sure maybe the Nucks make the playoffs, but NOBODY is afraid of them. Like playing jump rope without the rope! The Oilers, well, this WAS their season, it didn't turn out too great, coulda been a monumental stride for the team, but unfortunately they CRIPPLED and now their STARS will only become AVERAGE!!! Talk about a waste of a #1 pick three years in a row..... OH WAIT the Oil haven't ruined Yakopov yet......EVERY hockey players dream is TO NOT GET DRAFTED BY THE EDMONTON OILERS!

Seems like you're trying to send me away. You're a jerk. As for management ruining players, well I'd say you're right when it comes to the development of MPS but management did the right thing on sending him to the AHL. Hall, Nuge and Eberle are great... just wish they stopped getting injured.

But management has this summer to prove that they're trying to not screw up. If they sign Smyth it better be very cheap and short term before he retires, less than 3 million and 2 years is enough. They better... I repeat.... they must not... emphasizing this more clearly... DO NOT resign Hemsky. I'll be very angry if they do... he does not fit in the future plans, I'm tired of seeing him ruin plays when he's bringing the puck up the ice. He's an egnima that just needs to go... NOW. Let Hordichuk go for his sake... Renney won't use him and just a waste of space. Sutton I wouldn't bring back...

Only UFA's I'd even salvage is Potter and maybe Smyth...

The Oiler's fall from the early season heroics is quite dramatic.

How unfortunate it wasn't the Canucks instead.

2011-12Pt12-01-27ALL.jpg

Seems like you're trying to send me away. You're a jerk. As for management ruining players, well I'd say you're right when it comes to the development of MPS but management did the right thing on sending him to the AHL. Hall, Nuge and Eberle are great... just wish they stopped getting injured.

But management has this summer to prove that they're trying to not screw up. If they sign Smyth it better be very cheap and short term before he retires, less than 3 million and 2 years is enough. They better... I repeat.... they must not... emphasizing this more clearly... DO NOT resign Hemsky. I'll be very angry if they do... he does not fit in the future plans, I'm tired of seeing him ruin plays when he's bringing the puck up the ice. He's an egnima that just needs to go... NOW. Let Hordichuk go for his sake... Renney won't use him and just a waste of space. Sutton I wouldn't bring back...

Only UFA's I'd even salvage is Potter and maybe Smyth...

I think he is just venting on some Oiler Fans like Conner who is over here singing the praises of Oilers contending for the cup in a couple years.

I don't mind that so much as Conner throwing in the part where he pities us ..... Right Conner.... in your dreams...

The fallacy of Conners thinking:

Look at any team and you usually see some changes from two years back. Rarely does a team jump from last to contending in a short time, unless you have the second coming of Gretzky and even then it takes time. Time the Oilers don't have much of.

The Realities:

In the Oilers case, in two years you have to start paying those #1 picks and top players(they won't be Prospects any more Conner). Starting with Hall and Eberle at the end of next season. RNH the following year. If you play the Next #1 pick next year(Oiler Fans are already calling for the Fail for Nail) you are going to have to find some money somewhere the following year.

88933cdab418a66068f81b4a4674d8e9.png?1327694615

In year 3-4 from now when you are supposed to be focused on the cup run(according to Conner) your RNH will be up for big bucks too.

The History:

Consider this "no team can afford to pay more than 3-4 elite players".(Chicago that a lot of Oilers Fans use as "the example of doing it the right way" had to make that choice too.) If you put it all in Offense(You already have) then your Defence + Goaltending is going to suffer. 4 elite players at 6 mil per is going to take up close to 1/3 of your cap(37.32503888024883%).

Insert: you need some top D to make any run and Top D takes time to mature. If you are growing all from scratch(which Oilers claim they are doing the right way now) and from within it takes a lot longer than 2 years. Good luck with that model.

If the Oilers are contending for a playoff spot in 2 years I would be happy for them. In the tough west conference they have a very tough hill to climb to just accomplish that.

As for the Flames:

One thing you can be certain of....

Next years Flames won't look anything like this years Flames started out as and they will be improved. Not even Conners "Crystal Ball of Dreaming" can envision what the Flames will be capable of in 2 years.

I am patiently awaiting the Oilers rebuild to start showing signs of improvement because "the Old Rivalry is pretty much Dead". We have been holding up our end of the rivalry, and it is long overdue for the Oilers to start keeping up theirs.

The Oiler's fall from the early season heroics is quite dramatic.

How unfortunate it wasn't the Canucks instead.

2011-12Pt12-01-27ALL.jpg

Ahhh... I love how high it was and then the huge drop. :lol:

I have to agree with DD's post that it will take longer than 2 years to get the ball rolling, especially on defense and goaltending. The Oilers have changed quite a bit but the pace is taking too slow, that's my biggest beef with Tambi.

But the Oilers are set up nicely to be able to spend a lot of money if needed down the line. But I think they should've made a harder push and this time at the end of this season, no more... just no more waiting on our prospects...

Imo the canooks and flames are in the same pickle. They both lack stars for the future. I under stand that they have coddy the hog, but once the sister retire they have nothing, like us. LEts face it once iggy and kipper retire, then we're screwed. We don't need a full rebuild, but if we don't get some more quality draft picks like sven, then the future for us looks bleak. What I like about Us Is we have a great group of young talented goalies, and some good prospects in the WhL, but other then that we're F?*?&ked for the future. I hope we can draft maxès brother, or a good center.

Kesler, Booth - 27

Raymond, Lapierre - 26

Edler, Hansen, Schneider - 25

Weise - 23

Hodgson - 21

Lack - 24, Tanev - 22, Connauton - 21

There is absolutely no point in predicting or comparing the future assets one team will have a few seasons from now.. no telling or predicting what/who gets acquired along the way.

i.e. 4 of the above 27 and under players weren't on the roster Oct 2010.

Youth and potential is always being acquired and incorporated.

Question is.. do you have faith in the people in your organization in charge of making those personnel decisions.. Vancouver is very satisfied with their front office performance and the people they have in place....

Same can't be said about the Oilers for sure... and we all know how flames fan feel about King, Feaster, Sutter etc...

not the same pickle.

I think a significant change is needed, one... Renney is not the coach to get this team to the playoffs. Time and time again the Oil lack motivation, self confidence and inconsistency... hell I want the entire coaching staff to change.

Secondly, cut off the dead weight... we really need that defense and I'm not high on Omark. God... it's like the Schremp fans all over again.

I'd like to give Renney a one year extention. If Oilers get off to a bad start next season then get a different coach mid stream.

Oilers should trade Omark before the deadline.

Rant:

I'm tired of the damaged goods management acquires. There has to be more legitimacy in the line up with the types of players which can fulfill a role and stay consistent on that role. Potter was over looked by his old team and now he's a bright spot, which is great but man do we seriously need to go through 5-6 guys before someone turns out. Barker? Are you kidding me?!

I don't want any more projects for Renney to re-tool. While it's a rebuild I can understand but I want a competitive edge... this loser mentality has got to stop.

Also Rexall... man oh man, I want that building to be torn to shreds. The ice sucks and with as many shows or concerts being put on during off game nights has me concerned quite a bit for the quality of ice.

The injuries??!! What the heck!!!! Last summer Tambi has gotten more gritty and tough players but they're barely used, if at all...

Tambi is moving a bit slow, great for patience but we need results and 2012 is the last year I will put up with low rankings.

I agree

Rant

Now trying posting something that sounds like you know what you're talking about.

Well Feaster has added older prospects which is good because they can contribute right away but I'm surprised he's so willing to trade the Flames' 2nd rounders.

I'd like to give Renney a one year extention. If Oilers get off to a bad start next season then get a different coach mid stream.

Oilers should trade Omark before the deadline.

Come on, give your head a little shake before thinking about giving Renney one more year.

He had a team that was rolling very nicely to start the year and what does he do when Hemsky returns? Mess up with the flow... okay the third line sucked monkey balls and eventually the team would get figured out... especially after that Stars game... but for a team to fall apart so easily without transitioning their style of play just shows how little they've learned so far. I also see tons of defensive liability from the forwards and isn't Renney's specialty defense?

But man he hasn't been effective enough to warrant another year extension. Players still don't play with their heart and they have zero emotion going into games. I want a coach to show then liability and to punish their butts when they hand out a poor effort.

Even friggin MacT made them go to West Edmonton Mall to bag skate. What the heck does Renney do?

Thank you for not being high on Omark.

I think he is just venting on some Oiler Fans like Conner who is over here singing the praises of Oilers contending for the cup in a couple years.

I don't mind that so much as Conner throwing in the part where he pities us ..... Right Conner.... in your dreams...

The fallacy of Conners thinking:

Look at any team and you usually see some changes from two years back. Rarely does a team jump from last to contending in a short time, unless you have the second coming of Gretzky and even then it takes time. Time the Oilers don't have much of.

The Realities:

In the Oilers case, in two years you have to start paying those #1 picks and top players(they won't be Prospects any more Conner). Starting with Hall and Eberle at the end of next season. RNH the following year. If you play the Next #1 pick next year(Oiler Fans are already calling for the Fail for Nail) you are going to have to find some money somewhere the following year.

88933cdab418a66068f81b4a4674d8e9.png?1327694615

In year 3-4 from now when you are supposed to be focused on the cup run(according to Conner) your RNH will be up for big bucks too.

The History:

Consider this "no team can afford to pay more than 3-4 elite players".(Chicago that a lot of Oilers Fans use as "the example of doing it the right way" had to make that choice too.) If you put it all in Offense(You already have) then your Defence + Goaltending is going to suffer. 4 elite players at 6 mil per is going to take up close to 1/3 of your cap(37.32503888024883%).

Insert: you need some top D to make any run and Top D takes time to mature. If you are growing all from scratch(which Oilers claim they are doing the right way now) and from within it takes a lot longer than 2 years. Good luck with that model.

If the Oilers are contending for a playoff spot in 2 years I would be happy for them. In the tough west conference they have a very tough hill to climb to just accomplish that.

As for the Flames:

One thing you can be certain of....

Next years Flames won't look anything like this years Flames started out as and they will be improved. Not even Conners "Crystal Ball of Dreaming" can envision what the Flames will be capable of in 2 years.

I am patiently awaiting the Oilers rebuild to start showing signs of improvement because "the Old Rivalry is pretty much Dead". We have been holding up our end of the rivalry, and it is long overdue for the Oilers to start keeping up theirs.

2+6+6 (1st line A)

6+6+2 (1st line B)

2+3+2 (3rd line)

4 (4th line average 800k including extras)

5+6 (1st pairing)

3+3 (2nd pairing)

3 (3rd pairing plus extra)

3 (starting goalie)

1 (backup)

That's 63 mil leaving a mil + under this year's cap. If the cap goes down so do player salaries. I'm not that worried about the Oilers being able to fill their roster while paying the star players post ELC.

How are the Flames holding up their end of the battle of Alberta? You need to AT LEAST make the playoffs to be considered contributing. Neither team is doing that.