The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FCF

Mma?

Anyone into MMA? I watched GSP pummel Koschek tonight. It was great.

Yeah I caught it too. GSP dominates Koscheck. ha ha. Pretty much the result I expected, I just wasn't sure how he would do it. I was kind of hoping for a choke out at the end or something, I can't stand Koscheck.

I am a big MMA fan as well. After last night and if GSP beats Jake Shields, I believe he will move up to middleweight permanently. This will eventually lead to a superfight between him and Anderson Silva. I think GSP will do it right and have a few fights at MW first though.

Koscheck was too passive in my opinion. He's supposedly a better wrestler than he is a standing fighter so why didn't he take GSP to the floor and try to win it that way? He fought right into GSP's hands (quite literally) and lost that way. The only real chance Koscheck had to win the fight was when he momentarily had GSP's ankle locked while on the floor. He should've tried to get back on the floor as often as possible.

To me, Koscheck had no gameplan other than to hype up the fight for ratings.

GSP outwrestled him the last fight I think Koscheck thought he had a better shot in a stand up fight, GSP obviously didn't respect Koschecks stand up to the same level as Alves or Hardy's I give Josh credit for going for it I can't imagine it was easy when you can only see out of one eye.

GSP outwrestled him the last fight I think Koscheck thought he had a better shot in a stand up fight, GSP obviously didn't respect Koschecks stand up to the same level as Alves or Hardy's I give Josh credit for going for it I can't imagine it was easy when you can only see out of one eye.

I'm not so sure if he didn't respect him as much or if he has just improved his own stand up that much since those other fights. I think Hardy was an embarrassment for GSP. In his own mind, he did not impose his game plan the way he wanted to even though he won, he likes to dominate in every facet of the fight and Hardy was a surprisingly tough fight. In preparation for Koscheck GSP had been training with Freddie Roach and I think it really showed, his technical superiority was how he dominated that fight. Koscheck is way better at stand up than he was 3 years ago but he was successful with an aggressive brawling style of striking. GSP was surgical with that jab and left next to nothing for a counter.

I really think GSP has a genuine dislike for Koscheck and he wants to not only win but to humiliate him. Last fight, Koscheck was the big wrestler, that was his advantage, so GSP outwrestled him. The new story for this fight was that Koscheck is now a stand up knock out artist so GSP stood up and beat him for 5 straight rounds.

EDIT: Just heard that Koscheck had his orbital bone broken in the first round and is undergoing surgery to repair it this week. That must be why the ice bag hurt him so much between rounds, I thought that was strange.

EDIT: Just heard that Koscheck had his orbital bone broken in the first round and is undergoing surgery to repair it this week. That must be why the ice bag hurt him so much between rounds, I thought that was strange.

Not only that but it looked like it was broken based on the replay of the very first jab of the entire match.

I've had a broken orbital bone before and i knew Koscheck had a broken orbital bone the way his eye swelled up during the fight. Wasn't pretty.

Great to see there are other bloodthirsty Flames fans lol.

I hate Koscheck as well, and was hoping he would either get choked out or knocked out, but a broken orbital bone will do. Little doubt GSP has done about all he can at Welterweight, but I am not sure moving up is a great idea either.

I think Randy should stick to fighting boxers at this point in his career. Machida should be getting a rematch with Rampage. I think Dana needs to do better than this if he plans on making this the biggest event in history, the card looks week so far with only the GSP fight, I guess his hands are tied a bit with Cain injured and Lesnar under medical suspension, but this as main card fight is laughable.

I think Randy should stick to fighting boxers at this point in his career. Machida should be getting a rematch with Rampage. I think Dana needs to do better than this if he plans on making this the biggest event in history, the card looks week so far with only the GSP fight, I guess his hands are tied a bit with Cain injured and Lesnar under medical suspension, but this as main card fight is laughable.

That was a boring card. Machida got robbed on that decision, Penn/Hughes was over before it even started ...and I lost money on the night :angry:.

Jon " Bones " Jones. That's all i gotta say on this topic.

Oh and that guy in WEC who had that sweet kick off the cage. He's good too, Anthony Pettis.

GSP's good, but these are very exciting too watch.

I was flipping between Kings/Flames and the fights on Sat. and missed a lot of what sounded like a good game.

Ellenberger was unrelenting in gaining the split decision over Rocha. Decent fight.

Jon Jones soundly defeated Bader with a submission (choke). I was surprised both at Jones' dominance and Bader's apparent lack of stamina. I thought Jones had similarities to Anderson Silva in his moves, impressive talent.

Griffin and Franklin was a hard working bout but not a lot of high level skill between the two of them. Franklin should think about retiring IMO. I should have tuned to CBC during this one. Griffin wins unanimous decision.

The main event Anderson "The Spider" Silva retains his championship belt by knocking out Vitor Belfort with a spectacular front kick to the face at about 3 minutes into the fight. I was impressed with that kick. It looked like Belfort was going to put up a decent challenge up until that point then BAM!! Silva hardly broke a sweat. Note: Steven Segal was in Silva's corner and is credited with teaching Silva that particular kick.

This weekend Event: UFC 128: Shogun vs. Jones.

That's right Jon "Bones" Jones is fighting this weekend for the title. Anyone who is a fight fan owes it to yourself to watch this man fight. GO BONES !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't see Jones getting stopped at LHW, just too dominant. The only way I see him challenged is if Anderson moves up, but in time I could see Jones fighting at heavyweight. If he does move up I still see him as a threat in that division, it may challenge his wrestling ability going against the heavier heavyweights like Lesnar and Carwin, but his reach, athleticism and unpredictable striking can make him very dangerous at that weight class.

I cant believe how easy Jones won last night.... I dont think he was hit even once but pulled out every trick in the book with spin round houses, superman punches, take downs, knee's to the body....