The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigchief

Mike Richards Leaves The Fan For Tsn

Mike Richards in the morning on the Fan 960 is no longer. He has resigned and is moving to Toronto to start his new show for TSN radio. I have noticed his recent absence but assumed he was taking sick days or vacation or something. What a shame, his show was fantastic.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/bruce-dowbiggin/tsn-radio-a-reality/article1878887/

Meh, his stuff got old after awhile. He hasn't really been funny since the birth of Bob Cole's Chicks I Like and how long ago was that?

Moreover, his personality is better suited for local sports than a national media outlet like TSN which require a fair amount of professionalism and political correctness. I think he can be this but that would kill his originality and creativity so why would he even bother? He's good at what he does because he's allowed to make fun of people. Would he be allowed to do what he does on TSN? Why would TSN bother with him? I dunno, maybe his buddy Pierre McGuire helped him out.

Anyways, good luck to him.

I hope FAN960 doesn't end up getting a bad replacement. I hope we get someone knowledgeable and hockey articulate. I heard Elliot Friedman on at 9am and he said something like "i hope you don't get bored of hearing me 4 times a week." Man, i was like please NO! Elliot Friedman is an INTERVIEWER. He's not an opinionist and it clearly showed. I don't want to know what Friedman thinks. The guy doesn't know Flames hockey and he sure doesn't know the NHL in general that well either. He's more a local Toronto guy.

I lived in Vancouver for three years and the TEAM1040 was simply awesome. Their crew does an outstanding job of presenting ideas in an unbiased manner, bringing fresh hockey ideas to the board, correcting/calming down idiot callers, being very professional in the delivery of every point from various hockey perspectives. They often have a panel of 3 to 4 guys at the studio talking hockey. Fan960 on the other hand is really struggling to compare as they often run shows with one guy alone for hours.

Anyways, i digress.

Meh, his stuff got old after awhile. He hasn't really been funny since the birth of Bob Cole's Chicks I Like and how long ago was that?

Moreover, his personality is better suited for local sports than a national media outlet like TSN which require a fair amount of professionalism and political correctness. I think he can be this but that would kill his originality and creativity so why would he even bother? He's good at what he does because he's allowed to make fun of people. Would he be allowed to do what he does on TSN? Why would TSN bother with him? I dunno, maybe his buddy Pierre McGuire helped him out.

Anyways, good luck to him.

I hope FAN960 doesn't end up getting a bad replacement. I hope we get someone knowledgeable and hockey articulate. I heard Elliot Friedman on at 9am and he said something like "i hope you don't get bored of hearing me 4 times a week." Man, i was like please NO! Elliot Friedman is an INTERVIEWER. He's not an opinionist and it clearly showed. I don't want to know what Friedman thinks. The guy doesn't know Flames hockey and he sure doesn't know the NHL in general that well either. He's more a local Toronto guy.

I lived in Vancouver for three years and the TEAM1040 was simply awesome. Their crew does an outstanding job of presenting ideas in an unbiased manner, bringing fresh hockey ideas to the board, correcting/calming down idiot callers, being very professional in the delivery of every point from various hockey perspectives. They often have a panel of 3 to 4 guys at the studio talking hockey. Fan960 on the other hand is really struggling to compare as they often run shows with one guy alone for hours.

Anyways, i digress.

I think he is a great interviewer and his humor is not limited to the comedic schtick skits which are a hit 90% of the time at least IMO. He can think fast on his feet. He knows how to get the pertinent and sometimes tough info from his guests and at the same time, keep a personable feel to the interview. The word is he will have complete creative control. I don't think that will necessarily be a detriment just because he is going national, plenty of successful shock radio shows out there if that is the path he chooses.

The title of this thread scared the heck out of me. When I clicked & saw it was about the radio guy I was very relieved.

I liked his ability to leverage his star power to support the community and get some good interviews. Beyond that I didn't listen to him.

I listen to the Fan to hear about sports. Having to endure his skits had me turning off his show as soon as Meyer was done.

I am the same way with music. I don't turn the dial to hear Forbes make silly voices. Play some music already.

I liked his ability to leverage his star power to support the community and get some good interviews. Beyond that I didn't listen to him.

I listen to the Fan to hear about sports. Having to endure his skits had me turning off his show as soon as Meyer was done.

I am the same way with music. I don't turn the dial to hear Forbes make silly voices. Play some music already.

Yeah but Forbes sucks and Richards is awesome. (Maher?) Admittedly, Richards seemed like more of a football guy and gambling guy than a hockey guy. I find the afternoons on the Fan with Boomer, Kerr, Steinberg can be painful at times because they try to be funny/witty but don't have any skill like Richards and end up sounding amateur and juvenile. They should just stick to stiff collar, hard core sports journalism, play to their strengths.

Yeah but Forbes sucks and Richards is awesome. (Maher?) Admittedly, Richards seemed like more of a football guy and gambling guy than a hockey guy. I find the afternoons on the Fan with Boomer, Kerr, Steinberg can be painful at times because they try to be funny/witty but don't have any skill like Richards and end up sounding amateur and juvenile. They should just stick to stiff collar, hard core sports journalism, play to their strengths.

I agree with you in part. I stopped listening to CJAY92 because Forbes' crap left little if any time for music.

I liked that Richards had a broad knowledgable of sports. Some of his bits may have been old and tired, but he could surprise you with a new gem once in a while.

I like Boomer, Kerr, and Steinberg in the afternoon. I like their banter. Last week was hilarious when Maher, Rogers, and Steinberg were all ripping on Kerr for the vest he wore.

Obviously, they need to hire a few guys from the board to yell at each other about the Flames every day.

We'll have a panel of 8 people, ranging from Louis23, Codes, Me, FlyersFan(Who we're going to re-name FlamesFan), Flame111, Lunatik, LRD and Bigchief.

What a great way to earn money.

Obviously, they need to hire a few guys from the board to yell at each other about the Flames every day.

We'll have a panel of 8 people, ranging from Louis23, Codes, Me, FlyersFan(Who we're going to re-name FlamesFan), Flame111, Lunatik, LRD and Bigchief.

I'd love to see a couple guys from the message board get some airtime lol

Take away 2 people, not gonna name and you might have something.

Change my name? Not a chance in Vancouver! :rolleyes:

:ph34r:

There are others that use Flamesfan on the board anyway. We'll just use 52 or FF.

The yelling sounds fun though. Better add Bane & Carty to the panel. I don't want to be the only crazy.

There are others that use Flamesfan on the board anyway. We'll just use 52 or FF.

The yelling sounds fun though. Better add Bane & Carty to the panel. I don't want to be the only crazy.

Have a three hour show.

1st Hour - Negative Hour

2nd Hour - Positive Hour

3rd Hour - Battle of the Century

The Fan960 couldn't afford me B)

I promise to leave my shillaly at home... :lol: