Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The_People1

Super Bowl Xlv

8 posts in this topic

I haven't gotten that superbowl fever, however I do like watching the superbowl. I don't really care who wins, both teams are respectable to me :)

Pretty impressive run for the Pack. At the start of the year they had high expectations then lost many key players like Grant, Finley, Barnett, 16 guys on IR, then lose Woodson and Driver pretty early in the Superbowl. Not a fan of the Packers, but really enjoyed watching Rapeisberger lose his first bowl.

One of the few Superbowls in many years that lived up to the hype. They talkd about it being a great game and it really was.

Obviously as a HUGE Packers fan, i'm thrilled. I thought going in they had the team do it, but definetly questioned that after I saw Woodson go down. Driver hurts, but the Pack are insanely deep at receiver. There 3 and 4 receivers would be 1s and 2s on many teams in the leauge so that didn't concern me even with the 4 wide out package they wanted to run. when I saw Woodson go down I almost cried and had it not been for the hot start and fairly big lead when he went down the game could have been different. That injury forced the Packers to play some corners that struggle in coverage.

Watch out for the Pack for years to come. This is a good team who was the 2nd youngest team in the NFL. Could be the next NFL dynasty.

They have assembled a very good team, it should be competitive for a long time to come. I wonder what would of happened to Rodgers development if they kept Favre a few more years. Great choice to let him move on.

Well Favre did force their hand so while I agree with what Thompson and the organization did, I stop short of giving them as much credit as some. IMO, they had no choice because once Favre retired they publically said Rodgers is the starter and we are moving on. They were was no you can run a successul organization and welcome back a player that has already told you he is done. This is what killed the Vikings IMO and Childress lost his team because he gave up organization principles for the benefit of 1 player. I do also believe though the Thompson discretly made the decicision to retire easier on Favre so that publically he didn't come across looking like the guy who traded the Hall of Fame popular QB when he wanted to play. Thompson at least created a small divide that allowed Packer fans to say "hey, he quit we don't want him". It was a small faction, but it definetly existed.

Had Favre come back, I think Rodgers would have sat 1 more year but that was it. They would ahve been forced to trade him the next offseason if Favre wanted to come back again because his contract was up and I don't htink there was any chance of him staying after sitting for as long as he did. PHones would have been ringing with offers becuase Rodgers showed in the Dallas game in 08 that he was ready for big time.