Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The_Don

The Olympics: One Year Later

11 posts in this topic

What are your thoughts at the one year anniversary of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games?

I know many were critical of many things leading up to a during the games. I poster here in particular was extremely critical. But after a year has gone by, how do you feel?

Personally, the games have been the highlight of my young life. I did not attend an event, but if you remember I was a volunteer at the main Accreditation center. It was a boring and unglamorous job, yet I was elated just to have the opportunity. The pure joy and spirit of the people I worked side-by-side with everyday was uplifting. Just walking around downtown on a crisp February morning and seeing thousands and thousands of people doing the same, wearing the red & white, and often colours of other countries as well. It was like nothing I had ever dreamed of.

I remember how some people were critical about things like the cauldron not raising or delays because of weather or a zamboni or a lack of snow or what have you. It angered me. It angered me because these people couldn't look past such insignificant events to see the big picture of what these games are all about. I will admit that these games were not without there flaws, but they were in fact the perfect games. I could not have had more and I am forever grateful for having the chance to be a part of it.

Your thoughts? Feelings? Memories?

What are your thoughts at the one year anniversary of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games?

I know many were critical of many things leading up to a during the games. I poster here in particular was extremely critical. But after a year has gone by, how do you feel?

Personally, the games have been the highlight of my young life. I did not attend an event, but if you remember I was a volunteer at the main Accreditation center. It was a boring and unglamorous job, yet I was elated just to have the opportunity. The pure joy and spirit of the people I worked side-by-side with everyday was uplifting. Just walking around downtown on a crisp February morning and seeing thousands and thousands of people doing the same, wearing the red & white, and often colours of other countries as well. It was like nothing I had ever dreamed of.

I remember how some people were critical about things like the cauldron not raising or delays because of weather or a zamboni or a lack of snow or what have you. It angered me. It angered me because these people couldn't look past such insignificant events to see the big picture of what these games are all about. I will admit that these games were not without there flaws, but they were in fact the perfect games. I could not have had more and I am forever grateful for having the chance to be a part of it.

Your thoughts? Feelings? Memories?

I never attended the games so I didn't get the same personal impact as those who were there. I don't remember the little failures now as standouts. I do remember the spirit was good, nationally and internationally. The men's hockey Gold among other outcomes was great, (my business was burglarized at some time during the game though which upset me quite a bit). Jeannie Rochette was inspiring. The guy who died on the bobsled track is still in the fore as a recent book has spurred continued controversy on the tragedy, the knowledge that may have prevented it and the decisions that were and were not made. There seems to be a lot of "passing the buck" on the responsibility that is preventing closure on that black mark.

The games weren't perfect but they rarely are.

As a matter of fact, things went so smooth in general that we don't talk about the Olympics anymore, at least not outside of Vancouver. It was a typical Olympics and now life goes on. The only reminisce of the Olympics you can find in Calgary are the stuffed toys of the Olympics mascots around town which is one step away from finding the shelves of the twoonie store, that to this day, nobody knows their name, or better yet, what they are freakin suppose to be.

To me, the only let down of the Olympics is that it didn't WOW the world and a major contributor to that was the WOW factor delivered by China in the Beijing games just two years previous. It's not Vancouver's fault because it was honestly difficult to follow an act like that but one can't help but to contrast the two. Vancouver didn't disappoint but it didn't go above and beyond expectations. I think expectations were too high to begin with.

The thing that I remember fondly is that the Canadian athletes were no longer content with "personal bests". They had received additional funding for training & went in with the mindset that they would win. In turn all of us believed in them much more then in previous games which made people care about events other then their personal favorites.

Of course I'll remember the double Gold in hockey.

The glitches made it more human then the over orchestrated ceremonies in China. I liked the fact we were able to make fun of them during closing ceremonies. It made it feel like the participants were having fun now that the competition was over.

I thought the games were wonderful from a Canadian standpoint. I didn't go to them but I watched every minute that I could. While they were not perfect, is that not the one thing that epitomizes being human? The thing that stands out for me about the games, still to this day, was how it brought all of Canada together as I have never seen before! It was awesome. And we did so well!

You were a volunteer too Don? I was in the Whistler Paraolympic Village. I bought my baby sister a Sumi Snuggy blanket. (It's covered with goo stains, so I'm going to get her a new one, that's clean. I'll cost me a mint, on Ebay). She wasn't too excited with it.

Infact, I got one of the so called Last batches of red mitts (only to have them aviable from the Canadian olympic website), but meh, because Whistler was the venue for the Paragames, the last boxes was there.Limit two per person, first come first sold. Then i took some photos of me with the over sized plushies (not for sale, and even if they were like for hundreds of dollars).

I took a photo with Captain Niphon (an official volunteer mascot, wacky cheer dude with his possee, either that or just a stalker of the paraolympic team, super fan), during the closing after party he and Captain Canuck (a Whistlerite, who wanted to raise money for sit sking), and he had a mock battle. i videoed him doing the can can dance on the rap stage.

I went in one night to brave the cold, to the old Spagetti Inn (the only place that was relatively para-friendly), and The German visually impared and super cute blond girl Verena Bentele was celebrating a win there. Like can you imagine the faith it takes for you to inspire in the skiier who is blind? Zipping down in to a black hole. you must be very close so she or he can hear you.

Team China.... only sent 8 athletes! (yet tonnes for Summer Para games (as expressed with the Guangzhou Asian Games just now (aka sexy young women playing volley ball. Man Team Russia, Ukraine, Kazakstan girls were cute). but there's of course the Olympic Truce. Where they're there to preform against the best, regardless of ethnicity and political troubles. I can see Team Mongolia sending only 4 guys, because they're a smaller country, but not China a bazillion dollar country economy, that PRETENDS to be an egalitarian "Peoples'" republic. (note I'm currently in China saying this stuff). Like Taiwan and Hong Kong's intellegistia are light years ahead of the Mainland in regards to help for the handicapped. (As an Aspergers, and in the midst of heroic parathliets: We are not helpless, hopeless, we just need assistance, we want inclusion, as much as humanly possible).

The Accreditation center? Was that in the airport, with all the Blue smurfs running back and forth, like the page ducklings from Kungfu panda. That was cute, arms full of papers and stuff, running around screaming ahhhhh. (or I did anyways. Ahhh office work. And yes they have my stapler).

All of us volunteers just taking over the streets, walking with friends, and generally moving back and forth. Then the olympics ended. A Vancouverite was like !!???!?!?! I though the games were over. (to me and my roomate, we promptly left for Vancity, during the Canadian flag raising (each country had a flag rasing ceremony, with Rattles, native and multi posse drummers celebrating our mosiac. If an important dignitary visited the village they were air lifted, and it's like on Mash with all the tents flopping around (the main structures like the dining hall, and hospital-drug testing (polyclinic), was all tented. The existing structures a 3 apartment block (the Village plaza), a super block (now a hostel, is the main HQ lobby). The Native inspired modern art. (of course some silly teenagers are going to spray paint on it. :_(.

and lots of smaller condos (eventually used as homes for Whistlerites themselves). The Village was built on a landfill (Chickmaus Valley). I love how the mountains nestled all around (like cul de sac), Lucky Whistlerites. however saddly, the trees around the valley will be cut down, They had lot signs up. But they will be trying to replace them I think... The official tents of the villages will eventually become a playground. I just loved how the wafting clouds mysty steam clouds, scrambled up the mountains. I envy the children who will live there.

The Orginal village was cut off, for the para games (most atletes were houses in the apartments, Their flags hung from the main doors and steps decorations, It was quite a trip seeing say Norway, Spain, and Belgim as neighbors. Team Canada however left a big mess! like a big big mess, for us village support to send for clean up. Some teams left behind, such as sleds and stuff. They had trailers which you can work on equpiment, (cargo contain like structures). So that made crazy difficulty wondering gee where is 7 B-abc (each different team, for Snowboarding is different than Skiing than Nordic Combind, and luging), or those lucky to live in the condo house, worked in the garage....

Because the games ended and everything was rainy again, all the snow melted. and was muddy dirt, but on the evening of the opening ceremony (which me and buddy left to set up for, (poncho, pompom flashy light, reflective gold card, program guide). The drive home was very slipperly and snowy, and the villaged looked like Christmas village, the Athlets and volunteers there, made snow sculptures based on some of the sports, such as nordic combind, (for visually impared, you aim the target, and listen very very carefully, as the closer you got, the louder it got, Again Bentele girl has super hearing), some athliets had no fingers! (fingers in their wrists, some had a missing leg or no arms. (They played the luge hockey in Vancouver). On the ride back up the Sea to Sky. We passed lots of busses and convoys, dignataries heading back to the Village. And the RCMP at the gates (two entrances, the back door for volunteers, with vehicle entry (scanners, mirrors and RCMP security), and the walk in entry, metal detectors, and back check. the army and police camped out in the woods surrounding the village. With check points all over the village. You can go out but you have to be checked in. Which means you had to take short cuts and cut through, to the main paths. (now as I'm in Soviet China. I laugh. 5 months to get some measily stamps! and forms, gahhhhhh).

The Village Socc center (I forgot what Socc stands for, which is funny because when I was there and came back that's all I could talk about). But we were the guys that did the operations for the Village. People call us,ummm a glorified 1-800 number kind of thing, and we send out the proper group to handel. (I once flooded the toliet, and I answered the call, and did the work order for the mess I just made! lol). For instance members from Team Germany was in their boxers, because he locked himself out! so we had to get key to him (oh yeah we were the Key masters). people needed keys, they had to come to us, AND promptly sign it out through us. Business was slow, for the first few weeks, like a sad ghost town, or quite Canadian suburb (something I miss ALOT now). The national flags silently flapping in the lonely wind. So I wandered around wandered the apartments. Typical hotel-apartment like lobby with elevator, like college dorm.

But as teams started to arrive, boom a flury of activity, as they settled into their home for two weeks, testing their luck and skills, through round robins.Win or lose, is not what matters but that for two weeks young people are actualy humanity family in one house... or many houses in this case. I did the books for Team America, and Team Canada and Team Russia, and other large contingent teams, because heh I got into an argument, with the girl boss there. heh. then I had to put all the work orders in order and stuff. Oh well clerical practice, should I decide to join the army as a office dude. (the Logistics and communications are the most important part of an army... We're the ones to pick up the girlie mags, and sign for the beer). Who am I kidding. I wished I worked with the Athletes, their passes was unrestricted and they can waltz all over the village venues, and high security places. I had to go the LONGGG way. (I videoed a 6 part video, (my batteries were dying), of me and buddy trying to get away from BC Place. They had grid iron walls that resembled PACMAN! wakka wakka wakka. I did manage to video a Fan a child wearing a cute sumi Blankey as a cape. (Yes I have a security blanket I'm proud to geek out). But you could hear the irrtation cat growling in my videos, as I'm trying to stifle a torrent of swear words as we were redirected 17 blocks just to advance TWO BLEEPING blocks, while other volunteers just flashed their Omnipotent "Infinity" badges of Godlike Ominipotience from Q-Contiumum powers. And the Mounties wave them through, but when other volunteers who come there of their own volition and expense in many of our cases (buddy is a 6th grade teacher and Hudson's Bay Afficando, from Winnipeg, who Via Railed here (afrer being crammed into the cattle car meat locker that the People's republic of Glorious China, calls a rail service.... Ifeel his pain, 2 days back to the village with FEET FEET FEEET SMELLY FEET in my face, why can't humans be clean like us cats and lick their own feet?) Anyways, we only had WV (Whistler Village) on our passes.

Then the blue. I loved the hubba bubba gum colours. The silver refractory material, looked like halo. (this is for those who are walking in the dark and don't get run over by the Zamboni). Despite the bright blue. My Camera captured the Blue nicely. There was this girl at the Downtown Vancouver hostle, saying "F.O. with the blue. Enough with the blue". (like sometimes friend volunteers walked beside each other and you have this one huge gaggle of blue. Can you imagine being stoned in Vancity and looking at that.

They gave volunteers free unsold BC Merlot (used as a fund rasier). when I went to get registered picking up my tickets to the Vancouver opening ceremony dress rehersal (they didn't practice the cauldron legs hydralics! THEY SHOULD HAVE!. That's what the dress rehersal was for just for practice and testing :_(. They gave free Merlot wine. Then I drank it with all these hostlers like this wild dude from Quebec, and somehow this inspired him to pain some silly "Traveller's Poetry", in the Red Vaunderville coloured TV room. (if you go there, you can see where they rubbed it off). I complained that it was a positive and happy cat message. The stoic Kim Pine punk girl said "We don't like positive messages". Like come on, it's celebration time, expectations of celebrations of partying in Canada. Vuvuzela like happiness sans Vuvuzela. Well what happened was the Merlot wasn't enough, and he bought more wine. Being a French dude. So I posted all sorts of drunk messages on my Facebook, with people writing hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha smileys, and other silll stuff. I teased my cousin who loves wine, by saying "nananananananannannanaan bat mannnnnn. (nannnanan as teasing that she can't get to drink Government volunteer wine). God I love Canada (your tax dollars paid for this binge ahahahahahahahhaha). But the thing is when I get drunk I REALLY get drunk because I normally don't drink! (so then it affects my practically virgin innocent brain flesh. When I was younger i'd get blasted and drunk all the time. Now I'm just happy and natural, and cool). I think I posted here a couple of my "happy" posts.

Oh man, the air was just so pure and clean in Whistler and Squamish. I kept on making videos in Whistler the village and other incoherent (more so than my normal posts here), about comparing Whistlers, Berrywine-Callahan Valley (especially when I got a day off and walked to the cross country skiing venue, with disembodied Kung Fu native Elders wishing me well. So THAT'S what a night elve village is like), comparing these places to Bhutan (a secretive Buddhist Kingdom, they want to keep tourism controlled to prevent what happened to China and India (over population), sort of like how Banff and Whistler do it.

It was purely something to be in a place full of people from other worlds. Like this old Japanese man from Team Japan, picking the WRONG door to go through (the only door in the Residence HQ that WASN'T wheel chair friendly. so I just happened to be there. And he smiled and I smiled. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Then I went to make a sweary video about the Vanoc busses (we were working out the logistics of how to get down to Vancouver to do the opening ceremony volunteering), Club 99, was this coach the olympics used to transit back and forth between the two places(it had the Quachi waving to us logo), they operated less frequently. So we hitched down there on an athlete's buss, (we could get in seroius bleep if caught, again security issues), so me and buddy were huddled in the back, with Ipod set to dim. until it was safe and we relaxed a bit.

We went bowling at the comodore bowling alley, Canada's oldest bowling alley, an activity of the hostel. I represented "Team Vanoc" (because I had my cute and cuddly vest on), so I super threw the ball, and it tangled up. (the machine is supposed to go up with strings and reset, not if it's seriously tangled up which I did)... ha ha ha. Then they ran the paraolympic flame. I chased it down for a bunch of blocks, very very inhebriated in my UNIFORM (a big big big big big big big NONO, well my vest, for obvoius image reasons). Then I videoed a drunk message (which in hindsight I deleted in case I'm black mailed), to my little sister, (eventually she'd make it to BC, and UBC, you know....expounding the virtures of not getting hammered). But hell it was fun, here I am lethargic fat, and short of breath, having super powers crossing the streets in green man, (I'm not THAT stupid to run out into traffic drunk), and it was rainy wet, so already google eyed, and really confused. But I got a few good frames of the passing of the torch, I can drink technically. I chose not to, because then my brain is buzzing as I'm trying to sleep and stuff, and I get dumber there's dumb, and dumbererer (I'm dumb, well thanks to my mother in law in China, beating my head with a chair this new years. I guess I can say I'm dumber, and she's still mean and crazy).

Then went drinking again, during the last night. (might as well), Japanese super fan Mr Nippon was drinking and partying with Canadians, and I gave the Germany coach (many coaches), he was there with his training, development team (younger future athletes getting a taste of how the games work). He wanted my smurf suit for his Germany jacket. (a blue Addidas jacket), heheehhehehe. I refused but I decided to give him a consolatin gift. Because Paraolympics and Olympics are two different organizational fifedoms, you couldn't wear say te 5 ring symbol vs the 3 check symbols. (representing movment). So you had to patch it over, the Jacket is designed to patch over, you snapped on this regtangular button patch on the back, (and change the badge on the front). I had a spare patch, so I gave them my spare. And they said that they'd put it over their desk. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Then he wanted my smurf touque, (I will replace it with an Ebay one, to complete the ensemble), for his adidas touque. So I said ok. :_( his didn't fit. My head was too fat. Fat cat is fat.

I have a bunch of volunteer paper work, promotiional DVDs and other cool souviners. for when archelogists in the future (aka my grand grand grand kids go through my bleep), or i'm resurrected, I can use it for a bunch of geeky souvineers.

Speaking of geeky. I have a rare Sumi poster. (He's blowing a horn), with his eyes clentched. It was used in the computer room (each section of the village had their own residence center, where athletes can entertain themselves, when they're not up to heading to Whistler village (two villages). Board games, internet, laundry, Dvd movies. They had a sumi poster, i asked if I can take it home, she said no it's for the maids and residence service (paid staff), so I decretely liberated it (again for my little sister), The crazy step mom, (who tried to attack me with a knife over this Christmas, until Dad football tackled her until the cops came). tore it off the wall (it's plastic paper). (I got into an argument, when she told me to bleep my mom (a typical Cantonese swear). Your Momma is a very very offensive thing this side of the world. So I said something rude to her, then she flips out! eventually this first incident was one of many. She tore my poster off the wall and I though she threw it out. I would have flipped out then, but thankfully she had the sense not to throw that out. (nearly had a stroke when it was off the wall, but I have to becareful with it now. It's coated in tape, and cute crayons. My sister loves drawing crazy stuff on walls, especially crosses. (like Christian crosses, or the number 10 in Chinse (a cross symbol), Like this is helter skelter obsessive, it's everywhere. Like those movies where people write crazy stuff on walls.

Then, I also took home a Vanoc mouse bad. talk about geek out! again those were specific for staff use i had premisison to take a spare one home. I love collecting geeky stuff like that. I'm keeping my Merlot bottle.

Ha ha ha we fed Prince Edward, TUNA MELT, Like the son of the husband of the Queen, a patron of the games. He stopped to eat lunch with us, and then take off. Vanoc brought in a hippy lady singer. She created an improptu song, with our memories of the games.... on paper maple leafs and tried to create a improptu song. ha ha ha. PRINCE EDWARD. TUNA MELT.

Then they fed us McDonalds free Mickey Dee's, either that or Cafeteria food... like say Prince Edward's TUNA MELT.... heehehehehehehehehehe. We should have fed him Nanaimo bars, or poutine....

We entertained ourselves with touristic views of Whistler, (I myself went butt sliding, and visited the Aborginal interpretive embassy museum, the Squamish and Lilwat tribes both decided to work together on the preservation of the nature abundance. (Let's hope North Korea and South Korea can show eventual maturity, as I'm a North Korean Manchurian-Han). Their presentation was hopeful indicating that in the near future More and more aborginal youths will be participating in winter sports ala Cheechoo, and fighting back demons that deny their rightful dignified place in human history. As a marginalized Manchuri-han. Go for it!. They sell snowboards with native blowing motif (a face upward, with circles indicating breath)like lips and circles eminating from the orginal lip circle. The native representiatives at the village Plaza, had a pin. (but it was paper, and the rains and snows disolved it.

:_(. they managed to give minature paddles to guests (you're supposed to adorn it with other stuff on your name tag). Your name tag ID accridation eventually became like this cute pin cushion, of pins and stuff.

Prince Edward ate Tuna Melt.

Man blue jackets were like everywhere. Like take for instance, the Gondola exchange to their homes, or even...the movies. Like how often do you see children watching "Alice" in full skiing Regalia? or volunteer regalia?

I digged the children doing their disco pointing at the opening ceremony. Sooooooo cute. This will of course be with them. I got to the paraflame, by pretending I was picking up my imaginary little sister. As I am Asian. so I took a photo. But this was THEIR world, as Calgary was OUR world. Canuckehead children are quite delightful... Bright futures, a steady growing population, economic prospects education, very very safe familia like feeling, who would have though troll children were so cute and cuddly? Running up to the sumi like that.

Hey Don, did you register for a certificate? That's one thing, some volunteers didn't know that there was a time limit to sign up for a certificate. As Vanoc slowly disolved soon after the conclusion of the games. (aka last office party, after 4 years of working etc, saddly some Vanoc officials died before realising the games. Sad sad. :_( meow Sad Cat, I had to track down this dude, and he gave one of the last working Vanoc links which you could access the certificate registry from the side. (so I posted it to Facebook, after people asked over and over where can I register for certificate). They gave me BOTH certificates for both the Paras and the Olympics, even though I volunteered with the Paras?Some guys didn't register in time.

also, we got gifts for how long we volunteered for. There was a Volunteer pin (but I traded that away for a team Austria pin, a silver Berks key chain (gave that to my dad), a Volunteer Swatch watch (but the paint is fading, I won't wear it anymore. or at least take a picture of what it looked like. Loves how Swatch is making huge avant guard like commercials, when I remember back in the 80s they were marketed to kids, when the Calgary games were out actually. (we lived in Edmonton).

I had room G66 (it looked like the omnious number 666. (in the Green section). They bungled up the rooms system, they dried to use the alphabet, then they used, colour, then jus settled on Lot. so some people would say I need the keys for Red A 5, A 5, (lot 1, section 5).

But yeah being in the magical village was really fun. I felt safe with the RCMPs watching, it's a dry village! Team Canada, dry village ha ha ha....

Prince Edward..... tuna melt. (100% serious!, nobody believes me with this one. But it's serious!) may Jesus deny me citizenship in heaven..... Prince Edward Tuna Melt.

The games weren't perfect but they rarely are.

As a matter of fact, things went so smooth in general that we don't talk about the Olympics anymore, at least not outside of Vancouver. It was a typical Olympics and now life goes on. The only reminisce of the Olympics you can find in Calgary are the stuffed toys of the Olympics mascots around town which is one step away from finding the shelves of the twoonie store, that to this day, nobody knows their name, or better yet, what they are freakin suppose to be.

To me, the only let down of the Olympics is that it didn't WOW the world and a major contributor to that was the WOW factor delivered by China in the Beijing games just two years previous. It's not Vancouver's fault because it was honestly difficult to follow an act like that but one can't help but to contrast the two. Vancouver didn't disappoint but it didn't go above and beyond expectations. I think expectations were too high to begin with.

The Para games had lots of wow moments, like for instance, a Blind girl winning gold in SHOOTING, or a girl winning gold, in a Wheel chair. The won 5 Golds (the Blind girl, as did our Wolstencroft).

I remember the opening for the LA games a ROCKET man on a jet pack!

Anyways,Team Canada hockey, the Canadian embassy is located a few blocks from a Western pub (pub food, classical rock), I noticed a "12" Inginla jersy, and a Crosby jersy, Like that's the first thing I was was "12" Iggy. and I'm like "hmmmmmmmmmmm!?!?!?" (high pitch happy surprised sound). The Pub is called "Big Bamboo".

A Year after I still reminisce as to the chills I got in my spine hearing that Believe Song...... Over and ........... Over................... And OVER AGAIN!!!!!!!

HAHA!

In all seriousness though it was also very nice and filled me with a ton of pried to hear the Canadian National Anthem ( Oh Canada )

played a lot more than usual in the Olympic Games be it either Summer or Winter.

The little stories here and there. Joanne Rochette was and still is one of the most inspiring people I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing perform. All of the tears of Joy, Shouts, Smiles and of course the Cigar Smoking, Whiskey Swilling Women Team Canada

will forever be etched in my fond memories of the games.

The Fact that Jarome Iginla, Captain of my beloved Calgary Flames fed the assist to Sydney Crosby for the winning goal in Men's Ice Hockey was truly one of the most epic sights I have seen do date and there are still fist marks in the ceiling above my chair in my living room from that moment.

I think our country's performance at the games was the very best ever and that will forever be a very commendable act of unity, perseverance and tenacity to the athletes credit indeed.

Now as for the city of Vancouver.

I would grade the effort of the city and area at perhaps a 6 or 7 out of 10. They did the best they could do for sure but some things could have been better. Quite a few actually. Flame Arms not rising, Georgian Luger Death. Cross Country Skier's Crashing down a ravine Etc.

As far as the Media coverage of the games it was superior to any ever done at any games ever and it certainly set the bar. Silverlight still remains on my computers even though I have not used it since the games. There was very little to be desired and I am thankful that at the time of the games last year I had the ability and opportunity to see pretty much the entire games from start to finish due to my unfortunate unemployment at the time.

The Games in Vancouver will be remembered as being one of many highs and lows and a ton of Canadian Influence. For the world perhaps not impressive but for us it certainly was.

Next it will be Russia's turn and I sure hope they do a good job of it and will look forward to seeing how we fare in 2014.

1 person likes this

Next it will be Russia's turn and I sure hope they do a good job of it and will look forward to seeing how we fare in 2014.

>>> Russia, because they have a strong central government, and wealth, and the Camerillia overlords (Vampire the Masqurade games), running the show. Like I keep thinking that Lennin is going to pop out of his tomb and start feasting on young children again. But neverless, the Russians will sure host a great games. Again we Canadians have to stop comparing ourselves to other countries in preformance. Our country is very young.

Sure the Russian federation is younger than the Peoples' Republic of China, But like Isreal, Canada relies on it's brains. (Then they stab us in the back and leave for the states). But Canadian companies, and Canadianisms have made a strong impact on the world. We still attract the Chinese for starters. We're still a very valuable bread basket (Alberta), CLEAN water, beautiful open spaces.

All Canada needs to do is have our own indignious industries for domesticated, consumption, say our own entertainment sector, autos, not just a few kick apple ones like Bombardier (I've seen plenty of Bombardier vehicles). We have a chance to serously ride this recession when the big corporations are reeling. While we quietly fill the void. Our African like mineral wealth shouldn't benifit come Oligarch 2000000 milles away, but it should be here.We should be creating the WoW's and games.

If Laura Wolstencroft's example shows, nothing can stop a Crazy Canuck! 5 Gold Medals! designer of the venues' electronics as a BC Hydro Raiden lady (Electrical Engineer, like you have to be very very smart to control the powers of Zeus, or Raiden (depending which side of the world you live in).

We need leadership that doesn't have the mypoia of just relying on petro industry, but can see how we can sell ourselves to the world, well ourselves to immergrants, (CONTROLED growth, let the states continue to let in the wackies). Note the economies of the world are growing, job prospects no longer work to attract say Chinese professionals. They come mainly because why spend 400,000 for a small square, when you can get a nice comfy house, AND HEALTH CARE, and you're not walking around with someone's ill temper vibes? When you can live with enough space with a back yard buffer, or religious freedom.

AND University of Calgary, really Fing up, these past 7 years, with the old President taking a multi million dollar graft.... without improving the school. (At least let it become a sports medicen mecca for our Team Canadians). Isn't helping things!

But regardless of opening show, I loved how, the Chinese indignious children were CHINESE, and not the aborginal ethnics they represented. While the Aborginals of Canada, actually welcomed us. I hope that Nenshi, has these grand visions for Calgary, and it becomes an Oz like city. and helps include and utlizes the talents to build an even stronger and even more prosperous Calgary. (I like Calgary it's safe, the air is clean, People are friendly. But I like OLD calgary (pre boom calgary) of the 90s, There was a very homely feeling to it.

What good is success for Canada, the olympics, sports, the world stage, if we lose this homely ness. And I loved the little hyper Canadian multiethnic kids jumping up and down in their Canadian jumpers.Disco pointing.

Awwwwww. My baby sister really needs to live here, with out the Evil Dragon lady Fa. (She would really bring Canadian progress DOWN).

While in the Whilstler village, I kept on imagining it was some kind magical Christmas village (because it was cozy nestled in this bowl like valley.

A Year after I still reminisce as to the chills I got in my spine hearing that Believe Song...... Over and ........... Over................... And OVER AGAIN!!!!!!!

HAHA!

There comes a moment when my heart must stand alone

On this lonely path I've chosen

like a house that's not a home

sometimes when I feel I've had enough

and I feel like giving up

you willed me to be all I can be

now nothing can stop me

I believe in the power that comes

From a world brought together as one

I believe together we'll fly

I believe in the power of you and I

This is the moment we have dreamed of all our lives

We'll be the change we wish from others

We'll stand tall for what is right

And in my heart there'll be no doubt

The arms of the world will come reaching out

And embrace me to be all I can be

Now nothing can stop me

I believe in the power... of you and I

I believe, I believe, I believe in-

I believe, I believe in you-

I believe, I believe, I believe in-

Find More lyrics at www.sweetslyrics.com

I believe, I believe, I believe in... you-

(Instrumental)

I believe the time is right now

Stand tall and make the world proud

I believe in the power..

(Of you and I)

(power)

I believe the time is right now

(Oh you and I)

Stand tall and make the world proud

I believe together we'll fly (Together we'll fly)

(I believe in the power...of you and I

But a really sad thing was the morning after the closing of the Paragames, Whistler village staff was already cleaning up Nordar's shrine (the Georgian luger).