The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyDeeds

Mike Weir

It's been a long decent for our pal Mikey. Injuries have really hurt him in the last few years. Still the nicest athlete I've ever met.

Seems Mike needs a top 5 result on the Honda Classic or risks losing his tour card. Ouch !!

Weir still has his two-time, one year exemptions for players in the top twenty-five on the career money list.

He currently ranks 12th. He has gone on record that he is trying to prevent using these unless a last resort.

He'll be fine. He's got enough sponer exemption and the Masters win to keep him going in the short term.

I really like MIke Weir, but the game has passed him by. The emphasis on the long game has really hurt his game and he keeps trying to modify his swing to gain distance he just doens't have. Its just evolution, nothing against Weir. He was an excellent Canadian ambasador while he was in his prime.

He'll be fine. He's got enough sponer exemption and the Masters win to keep him going in the short term.

I really like MIke Weir, but the game has passed him by. The emphasis on the long game has really hurt his game and he keeps trying to modify his swing to gain distance he just doens't have. Its just evolution, nothing against Weir. He was an excellent Canadian ambasador while he was in his prime.

Great Career Mikey! id retire now and enjoy the rest of my life wit family and playing the game for fun. it wont get much better for him. =s

So how many other Canadians can we cheer for? 3 -4 who never make cuts? =(

I don't have any evidence to counter your claim that Weir has screwed up his swing in trying to gain more distance, but I am skeptical of that being a contributing factor to his decline. The short hitters know that if you want to keep up with the long guys, you have to be able to put the ball on the green and in the hole, which is literally what has defined his career. I don't see why a person who has never been a big hitter but still managed great success on the tour by relying on short game would make radical swing changes in an effort to gain distance. As you said, he just doesn't have it - never has - so what would be the point in trying?

Regardless, distance literally means nothing if you can score, and look no further than Jim Furyk last season as proof. He won 3 tour events including the Tour Championship; won the FedEx Cup; and if I'm not mistaken was voted as player of the year. All of this while averaging 276.0 yards off the tee, ranking him 179th of 192 players - just 5 spots ahead of Weir. What's more, Luke Donald, currently the world's #3 ranked player, finished last season 2 spots ahead of Furyk with an average of 277.0 yards. So I see no reason why the emphasis on long game would hurt Weir's chances, as other guys who clearly don't have it continue to achieve success by relying on short game and putting. No matter how much the game evolves and integrates increasing lengths, these areas of the game will always define the best players. No doubt Weir knows that.

As if we needed another indicator of how far Weir has fallen, he's going to miss the cut at the Masters after rounds of +4 and +7, putting him T96th (second last) at +11. The cut is projected at +1. For a former winner to finish that badly...he must be absolutely dejected.

Serious question?

I'm being a tad facetious, but if you Google search "how do golf players get injured" - one of the first hits is

"Golfers have been known to get seriously injured when golf carts are driven in a hazardous manner..."

Unless they get into an accident or slip down the stairs, there's no reason a golfer should be injured.

I'm being a tad facetious, but if you Google search "how do golf players get injured" - one of the first hits is

"Golfers have been known to get seriously injured when golf carts are driven in a hazardous manner..."

Unless they get into an accident or slip down the stairs, there's no reason a golfer should be injured.

If you're thinking of injuries as they happen in a sport like hockey - ie. instantaneous - then I would tend to agree, but golf injuries are usually more of the wear and tear variety. Swinging a club upwards of 100 mph hundreds of times every day (factoring in range sessions and practice rounds) will take its toll on your body. You're probably never going to tear a ligament as you make a swing, but after years of strain its bound to get to a point where you need to get it fixed.

That's on a professional level, where serious mistrawberrys are rare...I'm your everday weekend duffer, and I can tell you that I've hit a ball so fat that something got twisted up inside my hand and I literally couldn't grip the club anymore and didn't finish the round...I'm sure hyperextensions and muscle strains are somewhat common among amateur players.

This is one time that Google is not your friend. Pros don't often use carts. They use Caddies and while some drive their Caddies hard they don't cause injuries. :rolleyes: