The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The_People1

Mascot Owl Killed In Soccer Game

telegraph link (video included)

Owl kicked by Deportivo Pereira’s Luis Moreno dies as player offers apology to Colombian nation

02 Mar 2011

The owl at the centre of an international storm after it was kicked off the pitch by Luis Moreno, the Deportivo Pereira defender, during a league match in Colombia has died from shock, with Moreno offering an apology to the ‘whole Columbian nation’.

The owl, which served as mascot for Atlético Junior, died in a local veterinary clinic in Barranquilla after veterinarian Camilo Tapia was unable to save the bird that was attacked by Moreno on Sunday.

“The owl died at about 2.57am,” said Tapia. “That’s when it went in to shock and we were not able to recover it from that stage.

Play during the Dimayor [the Colombian league] game was stopped after the bird was first struck by the ball near the Pereira penalty area prompting the referee to halt the game.

As the referee and players discussed what to do Moreno – apparently impatient over the delay with his team losing 2-1 – was seen to kick the bird towards the touchline with his left foot before Atlético Junior fans chanted “murderer” at the Panamanian player.

Speaking to address the widespread hostility towards him in the wake of the club mascot's death, Moreno sought to draw a line under the incident and offer a full apology to all Colombians...

Thoughts?

:( Yikes...That's brutal. :unsure:

Now if only that was the green men being punted at Roger's Arena..............................

This actually makes me SO p@#@ed off... this is why they have the Frickin' uniforms for (aka, Harvey the Hound is not an actual dog because that would be stupid!). What the heck are they using an actual owl for? I'm sure it was really enjoying being hauled around to be some teams mascot! People are so stupid!

Wow... that's horrible for sure, yikes what the heck were they thinking having an owl which is uncaged at a stadium like that. Heck why would they have an actual animal mascot. Goat I sort of understand or other farm animals but they belong in a safe environment away from screaming fans. Stupidity at it's finest here folks.

As for the guy who kicked the owl, he's getting bad luck now. Deservedly so as well.

I'm just perplexed by why the owl is allowed to fly around the stadium, and if it's allowed to fly around, then why doesn't it fly completely away and go free? Anyways, was the idea to let the owl fly around the stadium and entertain the crowd? Since, that's the mascot's duty... ??

Weird. Can't imagine the pain of getting hit with a soccer ball from the foot of a professional soccer player, let alone one that is the same size as your own body. That's probably like getting hit by a car in human comparison. I kind of think the ball killed the owl but i mean, that kick wouldn't have helped either.

We all know how crazy Colombian soccer fans are. Sucks to be that guy right about now.

I'm just perplexed by why the owl is allowed to fly around the stadium, and if it's allowed to fly around, then why doesn't it fly completely away and go free? Anyways, was the idea to let the owl fly around the stadium and entertain the crowd? Since, that's the mascot's duty... ??

Weird. Can't imagine the pain of getting hit with a soccer ball from the foot of a professional soccer player, let alone one that is the same size as your own body. That's probably like getting hit by a car in human comparison. I kind of think the ball killed the owl but i mean, that kick wouldn't have helped either.

We all know how crazy Colombian soccer fans are. Sucks to be that guy right about now.

I've heard that they get it hooked on drugs so it stays around waiting for another fix. Probably why it was just sitting on the field and got hit by the ball in the first place.

Actually, I just made that up.......But you never know........

So.... ummm is this worse than Harvey getting his tongue ripped out? Poor Harvey and where was Peta going after Mactavish? Exactly!

The guy shouldn't have kicked it but honestly it seems like he is a scapegoat. It was clearly injured already by the ball and never should have been on the field like that to begin with so possibly it would have died if he left it alone. If they have that much of a bird problem at the stadium then they shouldn't be saying they are club mascots they should be taking steps to keep the birds out. The stadium owners and home team are just as much at fault IMO.