Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hurtin_albertan

The Golf Thread

158 posts in this topic

I did some par3 at McCall Lake last weekend and stupid me, i forgot my putter at home. I had taken it out of the bag in the off-season and didn't put it back. Needless to say, i was putting horrible. Plus, the greens were inconsistent from one hole to the next. I guess that's what you get for a city course.

I did some par3 at McCall Lake last weekend and stupid me, i forgot my putter at home. I had taken it out of the bag in the off-season and didn't put it back. Needless to say, i was putting horrible. Plus, the greens were inconsistent from one hole to the next. I guess that's what you get for a city course.

City courses mostly deserve the bad rap they get, but Shag and Maple Ridge are both legit tracks. I wouldn't play any of the others though. Especially McCall, being that you have YYC air traffic practically landing on the fairways. I hate that course.

I'm playing a twilight round at Shag this week and off to Radium Springs course Friday afternoon. I'm with you Peeps, can't stand the pain of watching the Nucks win anymore, I'm immersing myself in golf!

1. D'Arcy Ranch, Okotoks AB - $70 weekday and weekend.

http://www.darcyranchgolf.com/bookings.htm

I took this recommend and played D'Arcy Ranch this weekend for the first time ever.

I'm not sure if "played" is a fair word, more like just drove the golf cart around while finding 15+ balls that i over-generously donated to the ravines. Beautiful course. Challenging. At least 6 to 7 signature holes, big large greens, high/fine quality sand traps, well designed course, etc. $88 w/cart is a fair price for a course that "has it all" and is professionally maintained.

I rate the difficulty level at around 7/10. The course plays pretty long and the area naturally attracts a lot of wind.

I played at Muirfield Lakes.

http://muirfieldlakes.com/

This one is sometimes advertised on Fan960. It's a new golf course community located about 30 minutes outside Calgary to the East, somewhat between Chestermere and Strathmore. It's a great course, for beginners. Difficulty is low. Short par 4s in the 350 yard range. Not a whole lot of elevation/terrain challenges. Not many bunkers. Some holes have water hazards but overall, not a big deal. Not very scenic. No driving range, which was disappointing. This course plays like Boulder's Creek, for anyone who has played there before.

The greens were well maintained but cut average, not fast and not slow. Golf carts are standard gas operated, no GPS units. It's early in the season but the mosquitoes and black flies were out in full swarm. I can't imagine having a pleasant time playing here in the late summer, so for anyone interested in a good first round of the season on a simple and easy course, play here before late summer.

I took this recommend and played D'Arcy Ranch this weekend for the first time ever.

I'm not sure if "played" is a fair word, more like just drove the golf cart around while finding 15+ balls that i over-generously donated to the ravines. Beautiful course. Challenging. At least 6 to 7 signature holes, big large greens, high/fine quality sand traps, well designed course, etc. $88 w/cart is a fair price for a course that "has it all" and is professionally maintained.

I rate the difficulty level at around 7/10. The course plays pretty long and the area naturally attracts a lot of wind.

Hey Peeps, glad you enjoyed Darcy, I guess I'm 2 for 2 on reccomendations to you so far! I've only played there once this season, right after that week of torrential rain back near the end of May. They ended up having to shut down for a few days due to rivers and lakes forming on the course. Apparently there was one hole almost completely submerged. They said they have pics on their facebook page, but I haven't checked. Anyways we ended up having to walk because of the extremely wet conditions and cart paths being destroyed; what a hike! I was thoroughly exhausted by the end of the round. Got my butt kicked too, shot 105. Though the greens being molasses slow and fairways being ridiculously soft had a lot to do with that.

My progress has been a bit up and down so far this summer, I started out well for the first few rounds but then had a few consecutive blow up rounds where the epic driver slice I had worked so hard to correct re-surfaced. I'm back on track now though and broke 90 for the first time this season with an 89 at Inglewood June 29. I'm playing 3 rounds in BC over the Canada Day weekend - Radium Springs, Greywolf, and Copper Point. The weather forecast is amazing, I'm looking forward to it. I'll post my rounds next week.

Happy golfing everyone!

Hey Peeps, glad you enjoyed Darcy, I guess I'm 2 for 2 on reccomendations to you so far! I've only played there once this season, right after that week of torrential rain back near the end of May. They ended up having to shut down for a few days due to rivers and lakes forming on the course. Apparently there was one hole almost completely submerged. They said they have pics on their facebook page, but I haven't checked. Anyways we ended up having to walk because of the extremely wet conditions and cart paths being destroyed; what a hike! I was thoroughly exhausted by the end of the round. Got my butt kicked too, shot 105. Though the greens being molasses slow and fairways being ridiculously soft had a lot to do with that.

My progress has been a bit up and down so far this summer, I started out well for the first few rounds but then had a few consecutive blow up rounds where the epic driver slice I had worked so hard to correct re-surfaced. I'm back on track now though and broke 90 for the first time this season with an 89 at Inglewood June 29. I'm playing 3 rounds in BC over the Canada Day weekend - Radium Springs, Greywolf, and Copper Point. The weather forecast is amazing, I'm looking forward to it. I'll post my rounds next week.

Happy golfing everyone!

Thanks for the recommend. I had a frustrating day at Darcy Ranch but couldn't deny it from being a nice quality course. For the money, it's a good deal. It's hard to find a course maintained so well, offer so much variety, and at that price.

I'm really interested to play both Radium and Greywolf. Been told by more than a couple people how Greywolf is probably the nicest course they've ever played.

I'll be doing Kananaskis this weekend. Should be good. Weather looks phenomenal.

Thanks for the recommend. I had a frustrating day at Darcy Ranch but couldn't deny it from being a nice quality course. For the money, it's a good deal. It's hard to find a course maintained so well, offer so much variety, and at that price.

I'm really interested to play both Radium and Greywolf. Been told by more than a couple people how Greywolf is probably the nicest course they've ever played.

I'll be doing Kananaskis this weekend. Should be good. Weather looks phenomenal.

Yeah, Greywolf is spectacular. I've played there once, but it was a few years back when I wasn't at all serious about the game. It was amazing, but it ate me alive. I think I shot 130 or something. I'm interested/afraid to see how I do this time around with a few more tricks up my sleeve.

Radium Springs is a decent track, but I wouldn't reccomend the Resort course. The Resort is in fair shape, it's easier and less expensive than the Springs, but it's targeted towards the amateur vacationer so it gets stupid busy and the crowd doesn't always have the best etiqutte (ie. not calling fore, not fixing ball marks, litter, etc.). There are a few nice holes but overall I don't care for the layout; there's a lot of criss-crossing of holes and it often feels like if you hit in any direction you could find a green. The trick with the Springs course (I may have mentioned this already) is to aim for the twilight hours (after 4pm). It's $50 Sun-Thu, $70 Fri-Sat, both of which are excellent rates for that nice a track and you will always have the course to yourself.

Good luck at Kananaskis, I've always wanted to play there but haven't done it yet. Looking forward to hearing about your round.

Kananaskis was superb, as always. I have another tee time there this weekend with another group.

I also played Inglewood this weekend for the first time ever and i've got some mixed reviews.

The Good:

- the greens were fantastic. Well maintained and cut super fast. Pin placement was also smart which added to the challenge.

- played very long. Many of the holes challenged golfers to hit long drives. Fairways were narrow and hard to hit at times.

The Bad:

- Wasn't worth $90 w/powercart.

- driving on the fairways was bumpy, and the fairways were poorly maintained. On almost every hole, you couldn't tell where the fairway ended and where the rough began. the fairway just sort of blended slowly into the rough.

- lack of bunkers.

Overall, i don't recommend Inglewood. It's only slightly better than a city course due to nice greens but that alone doesn't justify the price. Basically $20 more than a city course w/powercart. I'd rather play Kananaskis at $100 w/powercart.

Glad to hear you had a good time at Kananaskis Peeps, hard to imagine not enjoying a place like that. And thanks for the review of Inglewood, I've been considering switching there for my weeknight rounds as it's close to downtown and I've had enough of playing Shaganappi, but will probably just avoid it if the course plays as you say. On that note, do you (or anybody else) happen to know of a decent track near Calgary's core that is fairly priced? As I said I'm not going back to Shaganappi, and will probably go back and edit the post where I said it's a legit track. It was decent in the early part of the year but I've come to find that they apparently don't believe in mowing the greens...slow doesn't even begin to describe the state of these things. Shaggy is more accurate...You have to hammer every putt, even downhillers or else the ball will stop in the middle of a slope. The greens are a joke, waste of money.

As for my round at Greywolf that I've been meaning to post about, let me just say that I can't wait for my next trip out there. What a spectacular course! There literally isn't a boring hole out there. There are straight uphill mountain climbers, extremely elevated tees on downhillers, a par 3 whose tee box and green literally sit on cliffs where you either hit the green or your ball is toast, etc etc. Not to mention the course is in fantastic shape - smooth fast greens, tightly cropped fairways, fair rough, etc. Anyway I hit a 91, which for my playing ability on that tough a course is probably my best round ever. Further encouraging was the fact that I didn't get to the course in time to get the duffs out on the range, so I literally didn't hit a good shot until the 4th hole. Pricey yes ($130), but this is the type of course you'll maybe play once per season if that, so my reccomendation is if you're going to be in the area and you fancy a round of golf, get yourself to Greywolf! Even if you just duff it around, you can't help but marvel at the scenery.

On a little holiday I played a round at a smaller course that was close to our campsite. Man did it make me miss what I have at home! Though I can't complain too much for $28 I guess.

re Greywolf:

Let me start by saying it is my favorite course in Canada, a truly awesome golfing experience.

Having said that, I was there last weekend and was absolutely shocked at how much it has deteriorated. As mentioned, it is $130 so a person has a right to certain expectations...

The cart paths are all heaving and falling apart with no signs of any maintenance in site. The greens were muni-quality, running at a stimp of about 4 or 5, and were all but unputtable. The entire place had a feel of neglect, or at least that money was tight and maintenance was the first budget casualty.

I hope that this was an anomoly and it does not continue to deteriorate, because I believe it is a 10 out of 10 for golfing experience with it's combination of playability and scenic splendor.

re Greywolf:

Let me start by saying it is my favorite course in Canada, a truly awesome golfing experience.

Having said that, I was there last weekend and was absolutely shocked at how much it has deteriorated. As mentioned, it is $130 so a person has a right to certain expectations...

The cart paths are all heaving and falling apart with no signs of any maintenance in site. The greens were muni-quality, running at a stimp of about 4 or 5, and were all but unputtable. The entire place had a feel of neglect, or at least that money was tight and maintenance was the first budget casualty.

I hope that this was an anomoly and it does not continue to deteriorate, because I believe it is a 10 out of 10 for golfing experience with it's combination of playability and scenic splendor.

Hey that sucks to hear.

I played Mount Lorette at Kananaskis last weekend and i must say, I wasn't "wow'ed" or anything. I remember it being a much better course last season but this time around, it turned out only average. The course was challenging and the sand traps were super nice (there were a lot of them). The greens were cut slow, and at times, inconsistent from one hole to the next.

Overall, Mount Kidd is better for the same price.

re Greywolf:

Wow, that is shocking news...I played there on Canada Day, and I did notice that the first green was in rough shape and actually made a comment about it to my playing partners, but beyond that they were in great shape so I didn't mention it in my post. I'm surprised that you say they were that slow, because when I was there I'd estimate they were running around 10...not lightning fast but by no means slow. I guess it's possible that things have deteriorated that drastically since I was there 3 weeks ago if they've since abandoned course maintenance, as it's practically a 24/7 job.

Disappointing news...

Played at Harvest Hills.

Friend told me it's rated the most difficult 9-hole course in Canada. Is this true? I couldn't really tell just by playing it. Yes, it was challenging but not sure if it would rank as the #1 most difficult 9-hole in Canada. Kind of hard to believe.

The course is highlighted by rolling hills, narrow fairways, big long bunkers, and large greens. Sometimes you couldn't see the flag from the tee box and that adds to the difficulty. The Fairways were also "hilly" so even though you're hitting off the fairway, you're standing weird for your shot.

I really liked the course because every hole played differently and the course obstacles made for a fun afternoon. Only negative is that one bunker would be very sandy and then the next bunker would be rock hard. So, there was some inconsistency there. But of course, just don't get it in the bunker and you're fine. Other than that, the greens, fairways, and roughs were well maintained. I wished it was an 18-hole course after walking off the 9th hole. It left me wanting to play more. Totally recommended. $35 for 9 holes.

Played Water Valley on the weekend - very nice track, very picturesque, and very tight. I can see why people speak highly of it.

Good value for $60 as well. The only thing I would say is that they need to cut the greens a little tighter, then it would be outstanding.

Played Water Valley on the weekend - very nice track, very picturesque, and very tight. I can see why people speak highly of it.

Good value for $60 as well. The only thing I would say is that they need to cut the greens a little tighter, then it would be outstanding.

Awesome front 9. Very average back 9. VERY. They should've built the back 9 along the valley somehow.

Played 36 at Priddis Greens the other day. Shot 88 from men's tees on the Raven course in the morning, followed up with 97 from the tips on the Hawk course in the afternoon. That was my first time playing 36 holes in a day, and I found it to be mentaly gruelling. On the second 18 I was somewhat physically tired nearing the end of the round, but I noticed that my concentration was lacking right off the bat. I found myself making a number of uncharacteristic mental errors that cost me some strokes, especially on the greens. Having said that, the Hawk is definitely the tougher course and the black tees are above my skill level.

Next round worth mentioning is at Kananaskis (Mt Kidd) in September. Never been out there, can't wait to get after it. Who's got the inside scoop on K country?

Played at Redwood Meadows. Did horrible. I think my game is regressing. Caught in between a couple of pars and bogeys, I blew up on 6 holes with 8/9/10's. Just simply devastating with unforced errors. Redwood is unforgivable. Think Kananaskis Lorette with slightly more narrow fairways. Luckily, there wasn't much water there or my score would've been even worse.

It was a nice course though. i give it an 8/10. It's a forested setting with tall and mature evergreens. 40% of the course was doglegs protected by trees that didn't let you cut the corner. Fairways and greens were well kept. Greens played fast and were relatively easy to read. Recommended.

Shot the 9 holes of my life the other day after work. Played only 9 and was just 5 over. I couldn't miss a shot! Actually, that's not true. I had 3 "bad" holes that I was not happy with.

I went:

1. Double

2. Par

3. Par

4. Triple

5. Par

6. Birdie (9 inches from my first hole-in-one!)

7. Par

8. Double (good drive, second shot in bunker, third shot over green in other bunker....)

9. Birdie

I hit my driver really well and my irons where right on. The three holes I got in trouble with were all within 100 yards.

Played again yesterday and was back to the usually 90. Played average for me.

Next round worth mentioning is at Kananaskis (Mt Kidd) in September. Never been out there, can't wait to get after it. Who's got the inside scoop on K country?

As enjoyable a place toplay as anywhere I have ever been. IMO Lorette is a bit harder than Kidd - well, I score better on Kidd anyway.

The fairways are nice and wide with pretty big greens. If I were to suggest one thing on how to play them, it would be that many tee boxes set you up to hit right at the fairway bunkers - make sure you go out around them, there is always room to do so. Also, don't let a bad hole get you down, you will find that you have some very good holes as well and birdies are out there, so stay positive.

Oh, and the wind is usually blowing, even when you are int he trees and can't feel it, so keep mind of that.

Most importantly, remember to keep enjoying the scenery. K-country is flat out awesome.

Most golf courses reward you with fairways when you hit a straight drive and penalize you with bunkers to the left and right when you miss. At Kananaskis though, especially Lorette, they put their bunkers 180 to 225 yards dead center of the fairway from the blue pins. If your drives can't carry 230 yards, they provide a little escape route to the side of the bunker but you mostly have to lay up, or attack hard.

Hey folks, I see there are some avid golfer's on here so I figured it was as good a place as any to ask.

I have moved to a small town in Saskatchewan with many courses around. Most are only 9 holes which suits me just fine based on the time I actually have to play. I haven't played in over 5 years and need to replace my aging (nearly 17 year old) "set" of clubs (right now I have the original 5 wood, a new Walmart driver and an Alien Quadmetal fairway wood with Changeable weights {beautiful club, I had been using it as my driver for 5 years and matching most of my friends oversized drivers off the tee} but they don't make those woods anymore. I have miscellaneous PW and SW, most of my irons other than 5 are still original) basically the "set" is a mess and more than time for new clubs. The original set were Slazenger Royale XTW's.

I don't play all that much, and mostly easier courses (the benefit of small town courses is that they are $10-$15 per 9 holes) so I don't need super expensive clubs. I am looking at typically a $200 - $300 set up cost (I can keep my bag and putter if need be). I have been looking on a few sites and as clubs are going clearance at the end of the season here, I am finding what look like decent deals. The three sets I am looking at at the moment are:

Alien AG5

http://www.globalgolf.com/product/golfclub/-/pid--1020786/club-set/alien/ag5-15piece.aspx?gd=1

I really like the 3 wood I have so I would be willing to try the newer Aliens and the price is right.

Nicklaus Wide Trac

http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3990242

I have read a few reviews on the Niklaus clubs at mixed ratings for the lower end ones though I have never played them.

PowerBilt Grand Slam

http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=11172455

PowerBilt seems to get good reviews but I have never played them.

I know whatever set I get will be a huge upgrade over what I have and I will definitely see a dramatic difference.

There are also some Founder's club and Wilson sets in my price range at Golftown.

Which clubs would you recommend?

Would it be better to just spend a little more and replace my irons with

http://www.golftown.com/Nike-Slingshot-Combo-Irons-Steel-P1492.aspx

And then upgrade my Driver and and Putter (Around $200) as I can?

This would ultimately cost around Double what I want to spend :(

Which clubs would you recommend?

I don't know much about the budget brands, quality, and performance.

If you don't mind "used" clubs though, then wait for the Golf Town Demo Sale which happens every year during the first week of November. All the Golf Town demo clubs will be for sale (50% or more) and in Calgary, they have contracts with local golf clubs to help them sell their rental clubs. For example, Kananaskis stocks brand new Callaway golf clubs for rentals every year so at the end of each season, they will send Golf Town 50+ sets of Callaway irons and clubs. This year, Kananaskis is using Callaway RAZR. http://www.golftown.com/Callaway-RAZR-X-Irons-Steel-P2778.aspx Get ready for a mass dump of RAZRs this November.

If you can wait (since the season is almost over), then you can pick and choose a "lesser used" (practically brand new) Callaway RAZR set of irons for more than 50% off the original sale price.