Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hurtin_albertan

The Golf Thread

158 posts in this topic

Planning a golf trip in December (or late November)... somewhere warm like the Caribbeans. Has anyone golfed there before?  Cuba?  Jamaica?  Dominican Rep? Anything like that?  Any courses recommend?

Even info about golf in Mexico or anything like that would be helpful.  Thanks in advance.

Cools man.  All the best to them.  It would be nice to have more Canadians in the PGA.

Ive golfed in the Bahamas before ( Cable Beach) but i heard recently they are redoing it into a Jack Nicklaus course so giving a review propbably wouldnt help.  I was just in Cuba last winter and there is only 2 courses on the entire island. One in Varadero and one in Havana. I didnt get a chance to play them but the Varadero course looked interesting.

Although i dont think you can go wrong golfing any course in the caribbians, especially during the Canadian winter !

Hey thanks. I was in Bahamas in February trying to book Cable Beach but it was like $230 per round.  So we said F that.  Atlantis course was even more expensive.  Definitely not golfing in Bahamas.

Varadero looks interesting from google and there are some packages for around $100 a round.  Much more reasonable.  That would also be a good time to load up on Cuban cigars.

Hey thanks. I was in Bahamas in February trying to book Cable Beach but it was like $230 per round.  So we said F that.  Atlantis course was even more expensive.  Definitely not golfing in Bahamas.

Varadero looks interesting from google and there are some packages for around $100 a round.  Much more reasonable.  That would also be a good time to load up on Cuban cigars.

Should have waited till 2:30 or 3:00 pm ?  Thats when there twilight hours start and its down to $30 for 18 holes. I stayed at Breezes across the street so it was a nice walk over at 3pm :)

If you are using a travel agent, ask him about resorts that include golf. There are a number of resorts that will do this ( have to pay cart fee or club rental ) but its still pretty cheap considering you can golf daily.  Crown Paradise Club in Cancun is an example of this

http://www.crownparadise.com/cancun/golf-en.html

I played Blue Devil.

Opened in August 2012, this public course is only one year old.  VERY well done and the conditions are top notch.  Greens were fast and smooth.  Fairways checkered throughout and so soft that you didn't want to cut it up with divots.  The rough areas were cut well (although new sod is visible on most holes and hasn't settled in yet).   Wide open fairways with strategically placed bunkers and high sloped fairways make this course look deceivingly easy.  Greens were big and yet challenging with sharp breaks and steep slants that will punish you for missed putts.  Some tee boxes required you to shoot over a hilled fairway that blocked the view of what's up ahead. It makes it very challenging for a first timer.

Newly planted trees skirt each hole but are young and not really in play.  They will need probably 10 years to mature and become an obstacle.  Bunkers were made of fine beach sand that was soft and high quality.  They are deep bunkers so you really go down there to hit it up and out.  The attention to detail in the bunkers is something to behold.

Overall, liked the course very much.  The only downside, it's $104 with cart per round.  Carts are very basic and don't even have a rain/hood for the bags when it rains.  Par 3's were very unimaginative at times.  That said, the course condition and overall fun level justified the price.  I hope they keep the quality high because it will be known as one of Calgary's best up and coming public courses.

I rate it 8.5/10.

Should have waited till 2:30 or 3:00 pm ?  Thats when there twilight hours start and its down to $30 for 18 holes. I stayed at Breezes across the street so it was a nice walk over at 3pm :)

If you are using a travel agent, ask him about resorts that include golf. There are a number of resorts that will do this ( have to pay cart fee or club rental ) but its still pretty cheap considering you can golf daily.  Crown Paradise Club in Cancun is an example of this

http://www.crownparadise.com/cancun/golf-en.html

Thanks, will look at this for sure.  I'm leaning more towards Cuba though at the moment.

Planning a golf trip in December (or late November)... somewhere warm like the Caribbeans. Has anyone golfed there before?  Cuba?  Jamaica?  Dominican Rep? Anything like that?  Any courses recommend?

Even info about golf in Mexico or anything like that would be helpful.  Thanks in advance.

Cools man.  All the best to them.  It would be nice to have more Canadians in the PGA.

Peeps, if you happen to be going to Jamaica, and your budget fits Sandals, you get all the golfing you want.  Sandals in Ocho Rios has a course in the mountains.  They include transfers to/from the golf club and green fees; all you have to pay for is the caddy which is pretty cheap.  About $17 per person for 18 holes (plus tips).  These guys know the course, and if you get a good one, they hive you some pointers as well. 

If you went for a week you could play every day early and enjoy the beach and pool in the afternoons.  I have stayed there and the one that closed (Sandals Dunns River) 5 or 6 times.  Overall, I still like Sandals, athough it has dropped a bit in my books over the years.  As far as a Golf destination, it is very reasonably priced.

I was back home for ten days starting August 21, and I had to get all my golfing for the year into one week. I started with Confederation just to get the clubs out. Had a respectable 7 holes, but really screwed up two holes.

The next day I played Shaganappi and had another decent round. Shag was in good condition, but I really hate that course. The holes on the front 9 are way too short, and I hate the fact that the back 9 has four par 3s.

The next day I went out to Silverwing. When I arrived for my tee time I was disappointed to find out that there was a tournament going on, so I had the option of playing the same 9 holes twice or getting a shotgun start in the middle of a tournament for my back 9. I chose to play the same course twice. It was too bad, because I really enjoy Silverwing, but playing the same 9 twice sucks.

I played McCall the next 2 days. This course has always been my go to course, ever since I started out on the par 3 there. Had two good rounds at McCall, broke 90 both rounds.

On my final day in Calgary I played The Canal at Delacour. This course is just brutal if you're having an off day with the driver. There are a lot of places that are OB, there's a fair amount of thick brush, and there's a decent amount of water as well. We played it really early, teeing off at 730, and let me tell you, it was freezing. My hands were so cold they didn't want to grip the driver. The greens were also very slow to start the day. But as the temperature warmed up, my drives got better and the greens came to life (i.e., the were lightening fast). I would definitely recommend this course if you haven't played it before.

Anyways, the clubs are now put away for another winter and I'm kinda sad about it. haha

I played Radium Springs and Greywolf over the long weekend.

Radium Springs - second time playing this course in two years.  Condition of the course was superb and greens ran fast.  Bunkers were top quality sand, not like the hard stuff in Calgary public courses.  Course design is Kananaskis-like, except, more difficult slope rating.  There's dog legs that don't turn flat but instead, turn and greet you with a steep elevation change to the green.  Mountain goats/rams hangout in the course and provide for some great atmosphere.  For those who miss Kananaskis, make the extra hour and a half drive out to Radium.  You won't be disappointed.  Overall, great course with very little to complain about.  There are 3 or 4 signature holes that will keep you coming back. 

I give this course a 8.5/10.

Greywolf - first time playing this course, will not be the last for sure.  Conditions were excellent but greens ran slow and were forgiving.  Course design leaves you breathless.  I counted maybe five non-signature holes (yes, five NON-signature). Every other hole alone could sell an entire golf course around it.  Where Radium and Kananaskis plays relatively flat compared to it's available environment, Greywolf makes you play up and down the side of Panorama ski hill.  The tee box to the green were at times a 60 foot elevation change.  Not even exaggerating.

Only neg would be slow greens and average bunker sand quality.  That said, some golfers prefer slower greens so it might be a preference thing of mine.  Otherwise, this public course is one of the, if not THE, absolute very best that Canada has to offer.  Right up there with Tobiano.  This course deserves a 10/10. 

http://scoregolf.com/rankings/top100/top-100-golf-courses-in-canada-2012

Score Golf ranks Tobiano #10 in Canada and Greywolf #22

I think I golfed <6 times for my 17 years in Calgary. It's soooo expensive. I'm back at it now to be able to go for an 18 hole walk now on like courses for $20 or $30.

$50 green fees are laughable to me. I was hardcore from about 12-20. Sneak onto courses, catch the cheap deals, whatever it takes when you're young, broke, and into all sports to pass the time.

Never golfed in Calgary, (Radium though). I always found the prices repulsive. Pretty much turned me off anything but the occasional driving range. Move back home, still at least half-priced with phenomenal courses.

Perhaps due to a much longer season, but hey, works for my game again!!