The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hurtin_albertan

The Golf Thread

To be honest, I like to jump in with my driver and hit a few with it before I move to other clubs (and if I'm totally honest, I can go through an entire bucket of balls just hitting driver). The reason for this is that when I'm at the driving range with my driver I'm more concerned about shaping my shots than I am about where my drive is going. This is because I find it harder to align yourself at the driving range since there is typically no point of reference. So instead, I really focus on swing mechanics when I'm using my driver.

When I'm going through my irons I typically start with a fairly neutral club such as a 5- or 6-iron. Then I switch to my PW and work down from there.

As for my distances, they are quite a bit longer than the average player for sure. I have a clubhead speed well in excess of 100 mph. My average clubhead speed is probably close to 105 mph, but that says nothing about accuracy :lol:

Anyways, my rough distances are:

Driver = 270-280

3-iron= 220-230

4-iron= 205-215

5-iron = 195-205

6-iron = 185-195

7-iron = 175-185

8-iron = 160-175

9-iron = 155-165

p-wedge = 145-155

56-wedge = 110-120

60-wedge = 60 (very inconsistent hitting this club with a full swing)

As for my best drive, I drove the green of a 410 yard par 4 with mad wind at my back. The ball just never sat down. But I have a lot of problems with spraying the ball when I pull out my driver and that can lead to some pretty horrendous scores on my scorecard.

Anyone own any golf simulators at home or have experience using them?

2 toys i'm looking at:

- The Dancin Dogg Optishot Infrared system ~$400

and

- P3ProSwing ~$800-1000

The Ultimate would be the High Definition Golf simulator... but no. $$$$

Really thinking about pulling the trigger on the optishot...

Mostly as a toy and less as learning tool.

Anyone own any golf simulators at home or have experience using them?

2 toys i'm looking at:

- The Dancin Dogg Optishot Infrared system ~$400

and

- P3ProSwing ~$800-1000

The Ultimate would be the High Definition Golf simulator... but no. $$$$

Really thinking about pulling the trigger on the optishot...

Mostly as a toy and less as learning tool.

Looks pretty hardcore.

I know friends who like it, especially when it's winter time and they can't golf for real. There's some golf sim places around Calgary that may use these machines you've posted. But anyways, it's just hitting balls into a screen, much like at Golf Town stores. It doesn't do it for me.

For ~$1000, I would save it up and try to get a golf membership at a lower end course and play unlimited when next season opens again.

Learned a swing modification to my irons that instantly put 10-15 yrds on my irons.

Simply was told to position my hands ahead of the ball at address... and BAM.

I'm still trying to figure out what is the cause of this drastic difference...

The guy was trying to say something about increased whipping action creating greater club head speed... but the cynic in me is thinking that the change in angle of club on the ball makes your club act like a club that's longer than it is... i.e. 9 iron contacts the ball now like an 8 iron etc....

- another guy was saying that it increases contact with the sweet spot - but i'm not sure i'm buying that one since these balls were going way further then a super clean hit with the other swing.

whatever the reason, the balls were popping off the club.

was hitting my PW 120-125 when the day before it would be consistently be in around 90-105. And the day before, that was my distance with the 7 iron. Weird, but so cool.

only had time and balls enough to use the new swing with the PW, 9 and 8. can't wait to try with the rest to see where the distances are.

<and forgive me for just blabbering everything new about my personal golf experiences randomly on a flames board.. and taking it away from what was being discussed prior to my intrusion.

Learned a swing modification to my irons that instantly put 10-15 yrds on my irons.

Simply was told to position my hands ahead of the ball at address... and BAM.

I'm still trying to figure out what is the cause of this drastic difference...

The guy was trying to say something about increased whipping action creating greater club head speed... but the cynic in me is thinking that the change in angle of club on the ball makes your club act like a club that's longer than it is... i.e. 9 iron contacts the ball now like an 8 iron etc....

- another guy was saying that it increases contact with the sweet spot - but i'm not sure i'm buying that one since these balls were going way further then a super clean hit with the other swing.

whatever the reason, the balls were popping off the club.

was hitting my PW 120-125 when the day before it would be consistently be in around 90-105. And the day before, that was my distance with the 7 iron. Weird, but so cool.

only had time and balls enough to use the new swing with the PW, 9 and 8. can't wait to try with the rest to see where the distances are.

<and forgive me for just blabbering everything new about my personal golf experiences randomly on a flames board.. and taking it away from what was being discussed prior to my intrusion.

The reason why you see the improvement in distance from the forward hand position is exactly the reason the first person said, the increased whip of the club.

When you position your hands forward of the ball with your irons it encourages an inside-out swing, which is the swing path you want. When you have an inside-out swing your hands move forward quicker than your clubhead, so when you release the club the clubhead speeds up because it has to catch up with your hands.

Alternatively, when you have an outside-in swing, the club follow a natural arch and never develops the torque because the clubhead stays even with your hands.

This is why it is commonly accepted that a draw has more power than a fade. A draw is suggestive of an inside-out swing, whereas a fade is suggestive of an outside-in swing. Since your clubhead speed will always be faster with an inside-out swing than an outside-in swing, a draw should be more powerful. Of course, there are other factors involved in shaping ball flight, such as the time of your release, etc., so there are situations where a someone's power fade is more powerful than their draw, but these people are the exception, not the rule.

^dude.. that was awesome. Thanks for taking the time. first time that whole inside-out/outside-in stuff made sense.

Can't wait to develop that feel of knowing the difference in-swing. Still in that 'just swing and get the ball on the sweet spot' phase. Last night was first activate manipulation (other than the regular basic feet should be here, grip should be this, ball position here stuff).

I can see the appeal of this game in that there is always something to improve and the rewards/feedback for putting it together being so tangible...

^dude.. that was awesome. Thanks for taking the time. first time that whole inside-out/outside-in stuff made sense.

Can't wait to develop that feel of knowing the difference in-swing. Still in that 'just swing and get the ball on the sweet spot' phase. Last night was first activate manipulation (other than the regular basic feet should be here, grip should be this, ball position here stuff).

I can see the appeal of this game in that there is always something to improve and the rewards/feedback for putting it together being so tangible...

To really start to understand where the power from the inside-out swing comes from, I suggest you watch some high quality slow motion videos of professionals swinging their clubs. The things to watch for are the following:

-With a proper inside-out swing the shaft of the club should be straight with the target line (i.e., your shoulders and feet) when the club is parallel with the ground in the down swing. In fact, if the swing is "too inside-out," you will "trap" your elbow, which means that it gets stuck behind your abdomen/obliques. This is a common problem for pros, but typically is not a problem for us normal folk.

-Watch for the whip in the club. From the point in the down swing where the club is parallel with the ground to where it hits the ball is where the club will accelerate to catch your hands. Therefore, when you get people with really fast clubhead speeds you will see the club flex like crazy. This is especially pronounced with Tiger Woods' driver, since his clubhead speed is about 125mph and he uses a normal flex shaft (this is one possible reason why he isn't the most accurate with the driver).

-At impact your hands should still be in front of the ball. The tip the guy gave you about addressing the ball with your hands in front of it is correct, but just as important is having them return to that position when you follow through. This encourages two things: (1) an inside-out swing path; and (2) striking down on the ball instead of scooping it.

Anyways, watch a couple slow motion videos and you will start to understand the dynamics of an inside-out swing path in comparison to an outside-in path. Feel free to ask any questions you have. I'm quite knowledgable about swing mechanics, it's just too bad I can't apply that knowledge better on the course. :lol:

How cool is this thing: ( http://www.iswingbox.com/ )

$460.

If we move into a new home like we want to next yr, i might try to sneak this puppy by my wife while she splurging on decor...

For now the $400 optishot is probably all this christmas... and use a hanging net till i work in the swing box next yr.

So I did it...

I bought the Optishot golf simulator. Took off from work early and shot across the border to Bellingham, WA and bought the thing... and a net. $498 for both. Also tagged $51 duty on the way back.. of course. So $549 for my new toy and net.

Just spent the last 2 hrs trying figure out why the game wasn't loading and then rectifying the problem (updating the video driver) .. all's good now... but it's a little too late to play and test it since wifey and child is asleep... i took 3 swings before the 4th slammed into the ground - like a fricken gunshot.... i quickly put my club away and sat down with the guilt level of a kid that just accidently put the car in reverse in the driveway or slapped his sister.. just hoping and praying the wife didn't wake up and blast my arse for drinking and 'driving'. Luck was on my side tonight.

Anyways... can't wait to set it up into its semi-permanent spot (likely the garage) to really have a go and let those interested know how it is...

Cheers....

but it's a little too late to play and test it since wifey and child is asleep... i took 3 swings before the 4th slammed into the ground - like a fricken gunshot.... i quickly put my club away and sat down with the guilt level of a kid that just accidently put the car in reverse in the driveway or slapped his sister.. just hoping and praying the wife didn't wake up and blast my arse for drinking and 'driving'. Luck was on my side tonight.

It sounds like your lucky that it wasn't your wife that had the club... Making a noise that sounds like a gunshot while everyone is sleeping is the kind of thing that could drive a wedge into your relationship, and it could make things difficult to try and iron out......

If it happens again, just yell back "Sorry dear, I was just making a sandwedge"... :)

Congrats on the purchase. I'm just wondering are these things shank proof? What if you hit one off the toe of the club and it doesn't go straight? Is the netting 180 around you?

Congrats on the purchase. I'm just wondering are these things shank proof? What if you hit one off the toe of the club and it doesn't go straight? Is the netting 180 around you?

That depends on your placement of the net.

The net i bought is 7 ft high and wide in an arch. I toed one shot that missed the net and it slammed thru a shoe box on the shelf in my garage. So a little reposition was necessary after that one.

in my garage, it sits about 3-4 ft in front on the ball (almost as close as possible without follow-thrus hitting it), and cheats over to one side now to protect against the bad ones.

hit 41 shots last night, and shanked the one that missed net... the other 40 shanks hit after re-position....

This is the net i'm using:

7ftPracticeNet_FB.jpg

It does look a little wider than it's height - which again is 7 ft.

7PracticeNet_acthero.jpg

I paid - $59

Mannn, that's taking chances. It doesn't cover the full 180-degrees infront of the ball. There's still around 20-degrees off the ball for it to miss the net. Sometimes you hit a wedge TOO good and the ball goes nearly straight up... Or if you tee the ball up and drive, you could dig the tee and the ball pops straight up over the net... not to mention shanking off to the sides.

I said "you" but that could also be the wife who will surely take a few swings on the machine as well and that could be an adventure... ??

Is there a bigger net you could buy?

Mannn, that's taking chances. It doesn't cover the full 180-degrees infront of the ball. There's still around 20-degrees off the ball for it to miss the net. Sometimes you hit a wedge TOO good and the ball goes nearly straight up... Or if you tee the ball up and drive, you could dig the tee and the ball pops straight up over the net... not to mention shanking off to the sides.

I said "you" but that could also be the wife who will surely take a few swings on the machine as well and that could be an adventure... ??

Is there a bigger net you could buy?

There's nothing really at risk with the ball missing the net - it's in my garage.

For in the house, there are plenty of superior net options available..

- like impact screens with side barriers.. or those attached...

For me... if it catches 97.5% of my shots, i'm fine with that. the ones that miss wont be causing any damage - not even to the walls.

options for indoors:

NetReturnGolf-Net.jpg

Make sure you post a review of the Optishot when you get a chance. I'm really curious how this cheap (relatively speaking) simulators work.

I'm having a problem with the lighting a bit I think. They have certain specs for lightning which are somewhat vague, so I will be calling them up.

Otherwise.... It is decent. Not as consistent or accurate as you would hope ( a problem I hope improves once lighting is good.) But it does pick up pretty good the bad vs the good shots.... Played a few holes with my brother in law who sucks brutally vs me who sucks normally... And our scores at least reflected our levels.

It seems to gauge my distance pretty well in general with the irons... But doesn't read my drivers well (which was known prior)... But hey- if it says I have 260 yd drives- who am I to complain.

It will over credit yardage on the perfect swings a bit...

I.e. PW : 90mph clubhead speed, inside out swing,center contact, with straight connect, swing tempo: 144yds.

I think 125 is the furtherest I ever hit that club.

I'm hoping a lot of these inconsistencies will be resolved when I find out the ideal lighting set up.

Right now its fun and it works at that game level very well already.

I'm hoping a lot of these inconsistencies will be resolved when I find out the ideal lighting set up.

Maybe this might help a bit DL44...

LIGHTING INFORMATION

ACCURACY DEPENDS ON PROPER LIGHTING.

AVOID SUNLIGHT AND ALL OTHER SOURCES OF INFRARED LIGHT.

Because OptiShot uses infrared sensors to provide key shot data and swing analysis, it should only be used indoors as the light from the sun causes inaccurate results.

Below are some lighting guidelines.

•OptiShot works best when used in a room with fluorescent lighting.

•Warehouse lighting such as Sodium Vapor or Metal Halide also work very well.

•Overhead light is generally better than light from the side of the room.

•Avoid Incandescent, halogen, and daylight as even small indirect amounts will affect performance.

•Shadows from objects such as the club shaft and that of the golfer also may affect performance.

re: http://helpdesk.dancindogg.com/entries/20371003-installation-environment

Thanks.. i have a light directly overhead (actual garage door motor), but the optishot goes nutty when i turn it - its one of those spiral energy saver bulbs. So hopefully simply replacing that will do the trick.

There's a Golf Town Demo Sale this weekend for anyone interested in getting used/demo clubs for cheap (usually half price of a brand new one).

Thanks.. i have a light directly overhead (actual garage door motor), but the optishot goes nutty when i turn it - its one of those spiral energy saver bulbs. So hopefully simply replacing that will do the trick.

What about using a yellow golf ball or florescent pink ball?

There's a Golf Town Demo Sale this weekend for anyone interested in getting used/demo clubs for cheap (usually half price of a brand new one).

I don't see how that would help. These simulators don't actually work by detecting the ball, they detect your swing.

It doesn't read the ball... it reads the club speed and angle. The infrared sensors that do that job get thrown off by light that emits a lot of infrared light... like a glare in the eyes of the machine if you will.

A compact fluorescent should do the trick.

Edit - didn't read what castle wrote.. but yeah..

The machine come with a foam ball.. you can also use no ball. But everyone obviously loves the tactical feedback of hitting a real ball... so thats the primary option for me.

oh sweet. I thought it reads contact/impact on the ball.

The only thing it doesn't read is your club height at impact.. ie. if you top it, chunk it or anything in between.

Optishot-Software-3-300x183.jpg

shotdataall.png