The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hurtin_albertan

The Golf Thread

The only thing it doesn't read is your club height at impact.. ie. if you shank it, chunk or anything in between.

Optishot-Software-3-300x183.jpg

shotdataall.png

Oh wow i like how it measures clubhead speed and face angle. I think those are two things i need better consistency with personally.

But yea, height is pretty important as you need to make divots and such.

Oh wow i like how it measures clubhead speed and face angle. I think those are two things i need better consistency with personally.

But yea, height is pretty important as you need to make divots and such.

yeah... for me... the swing path is a challenge.

yeah... for me... the swing path is a challenge.

There are some great drills for grooving a correct swing path. If you want I could tell you a couple of them (or possibly find a link to them).

Thanks.. i have a light directly overhead (actual garage door motor), but the optishot goes nutty when i turn it - its one of those spiral energy saver bulbs. So hopefully simply replacing that will do the trick.

I gave a pal a hand working out the same kinds of problems (shot distance, etc) back with the Optishot back in the spring...

I used to play a lot of golf (a story for another day), so I was pretty determined to work out the bugs with distance, angle accuracy, etc...

Maybe give this a try... It really works best with a decent amount of fluorescent lighting... So go buy yourself (about $50 plus bulbs from Canadian Tire, True Value, etc) a 4 ft double bulb fluorescent fixture with a normal plug in cord attached (that way you don't have to worry about wiring directly into a ballast, etc, and can just plug it into an extension cord that you can tack to the ceiling or studs with wire clips)... Try mounting it right above the top of the front of your net as that can help avoid shadows...

One thing I have noticed though, is that even the high end commercial machines can tend to be a little generous with distance...

Hope that helps...

I gave a pal a hand working out the same kinds of problems (shot distance, etc) back with the Optishot back in the spring...

I used to play a lot of golf (a story for another day), so I was pretty determined to work out the bugs with distance, angle accuracy, etc...

Maybe give this a try... It really works best with a decent amount of fluorescent lighting... So go buy yourself (about $50 plus bulbs from Canadian Tire, True Value, etc) a 4 ft double bulb fluorescent fixture with a normal plug in cord attached (that way you don't have to worry about wiring directly into a ballast, etc, and can just plug it into an extension cord that you can tack to the ceiling or studs with wire clips)... Try mounting it right above the top of the front of your net as that can help avoid shadows...

One thing I have noticed though, is that even the high end commercial machines can tend to be a little generous with distance...

Hope that helps...

Thanks again...

I hoping my solution will be much more simple...

Like i said i've lucked out with the garage door motor directly above the ball and shining straight down.

I hangs as a low as a typical garage door track sits.. so me (5'11) on tippy toes can almost touch it.

Hoping a couple of 60W compact fluorescent bulbs i just picked will suffice. maybe should of got the 100W??

Also if i place a couple tubes over the net, it may not last that long ;)

On an unrelated note, i think that's the first time i've ever typed out the words "tippy toes". weird.

There are some great drills for grooving a correct swing path. If you want I could tell you a couple of them (or possibly find a link to them).

Yes please!

Altho i hate drills... but gotta do it right...

Thanks again...

No problem DL... I fully understand what it is like to be bitten by the golf bug... I grew up beside a course and started playing quite a lot at 13... I kind of packed it in a few years back as I had developed a real habit of playing too much, even while on holidays... But I think I will get back into it next year... I just needed some time away from it after decades of playing too much...

The only thing you might run into with by changing the garage motor lights to compact fluorescent bulbs is the vibration might take out the bulbs...

I also agree with what you mentioned in another post... There is no substitute for hitting a real golf ball...

It also looks like you have been getting some sound advice and tips from people like Castle... If there is one thing I would add to the advice column, it would be to take your clubs into a good golf shop that can adjust them and get it done...

Everybody's swing is a bit different... I swing a club 2 degrees upright... What they do is adjust the way the club has a "natural lie for you" by bending it where the club head joins the shaft so it fits your swing... The measurement process can be done as easily as putting masking tape on the bottom of your irons and then hitting balls off a mat to see where the contact point is (skid marks)... You should change the tape after every swing and also at least run through a cross section of irons, say 3,5,7,9... This alone can make a world of difference when it comes to accuracy, distance and feel... I also believe it can speed up the learning curve once your swing is settled... Just make sure you go to a shop that does this kind of thing regularly, and is good at it...

Think of it this way... Having your clubs adjusted is not a bad idea for just the same reason they make so many different kinds of hockey sticks... :)

Yes please!

Altho i hate drills... but gotta do it right...

My favorite drill for an grooving an inside-out swing path is to set up a visual marker behind you, typically I use my golf bag. Place it directly behind your swing path, and just out of reach of your backswing. You want the outside of the bag to be inline with your ball. On your backswing you want to keep the clubhead outside the bag for as long as possible and then on your downswing you want to bring the clubhead on a path inside the visual marker.

http://www.peterkrausegolf.com/pdf/Breaking_Krause.pdf

There's a picture of it on the right hand side of the third page.

I have a couple of documents I've made for my own reference if you want those. If you pm me your email I'll send you the documents.

So a few things...

I changed the lighting, and there was a world of difference in general accuracy. some shots were out of whack (or me).. but overall was definitely a lot better.

Castle - did that drill focusing on the backswing going straighter back with the swing looping in a bit... worked really well. Swing was consistently inside out which it never was before.. so thanks...

The stats it showed me were pretty dead on in terms of distance i do at the range for the 3 clubs i played with today... (pretty much dead on with what i posted back in post 74 - so that's a huge plus in the system's favor)

For those that aren't familar.. here's the feedback the optishot gives you for each swing.:

(a summary of my shots)

PW

Swing Count: 19

Average Distance: 90.1 yds

Longest Distance: 114.1 yds

Shortest Distance: 70.2 yds

Average Distance Offline: 0.8 yds right

Average Face Angle: 1.0 Closed

Average Path: 1.2 Inside/Out

Average Speed: 53.7 mph

Average Tempo: 1.0

6 Iron

Swing Count: 38

Average Distance: 140.2 yds

Longest Distance: 175.0 yds

Shortest Distance: 89.7 yds

Average Distance Offline: 10.6 yds right

Average Face Angle: 3.8 Closed

Average Path: 0.7 Inside/Out

Average Speed: 66.8 mph

Average Tempo: 1.2

Driver

Swing Count: 21

Average Distance: 211.2 yds

Longest Distance: 284.0 yds

Shortest Distance: 57.7 yds (test swing, really)

Average Distance Offline: 1.0 yds right (it cool that my massive hooks and massive slices all averaged out nicely as 'on target') lol

Average Face Angle: 1.6 Open

Average Path: 1.3 Inside/Out

Average Speed: 81.8 mph

Average Tempo: 2.3

Its pretty cool for this one awesome concept: I'm babysitting and put my kid to bed as the wife visits her parents, and i then can go peel off 80 swings in the garage with feedback and come back in 30 minutes later...

My swing speeds are roughly,

Driver: ~95mph

7-iron: 65 to 70 mph

They got a new virtual golf machine at Golf Town that's supposedly the most accurate to date.

My swing speeds are roughly,

Driver: ~95mph

7-iron: 65 to 70 mph

They got a new virtual golf machine at Golf Town that's supposedly the most accurate to date.

All Golf Town locations?

I'll have to check it out when I get home.

All Golf Town locations?

I'll have to check it out when I get home.

What i meant is they upgraded their machines. It's not the old ones anymore. The new ones are supposedly more accurate. They have them in the Sunridge Golf Town.

What i meant is they upgraded their machines. It's not the old ones anymore. The new ones are supposedly more accurate. They have them in the Sunridge Golf Town.

Well, I'll definitely have to go spend some time at the machines.

I've been to the four corners of the globe. From Toronto to Tokyo to Rome and back. I honestly don't know what's more difficult to find. A good wife, Or a Left Handed Scotty Cameron putter.

Seriously, why does every golf town in Calgary carry at most 2 versions of Scottys to try? Meanwhile there's a good 15 to 25 Right Handed Scottys. I know the ratios are heavily geared towards righties in golf but its ridiculous when they don't even have left handed putters for demos. I've wanted to buy one for the longest time but i can't even try them out to see which one is good for me.

Life sucks as a left handed golfer (until demo sales when everything on the rack is left handed, but that's usually garbage stuff anyways).

/rant

Guest happycat

I liked the scene where Bob Barker beats up Happy Gilmore.... over and over again, and Happy (Adam Sandler), just stands there and doesn't block.

I've been to the four corners of the globe. From Toronto to Tokyo to Rome and back. I honestly don't know what's more difficult to find. A good wife, Or a Left Handed Scotty Cameron putter.

Seriously, why does every golf town in Calgary carry at most 2 versions of Scottys to try? Meanwhile there's a good 15 to 25 Right Handed Scottys. I know the ratios are heavily geared towards righties in golf but its ridiculous when they don't even have left handed putters for demos. I've wanted to buy one for the longest time but i can't even try them out to see which one is good for me.

Life sucks as a left handed golfer (until demo sales when everything on the rack is left handed, but that's usually garbage stuff anyways).

/rant

Great..

I'm a lefty as well... so i guess when i eventually get to the point of desiring specific equipment i'll be in the same boat eh...

I played the Riveria Mayan Golf course last week. Suffered heat stroke. ok, not that bad, but it was HOT and draining. Massive electorlyte inbalance ensued.

Anyways... with many mulligans, cheating and lost balls i shot a 108. (probably realistically around 115ish, but the guy keeping score was being extremely generous.. and even after i told him i really wanted to know what i shot - you know so i knew where i am starting out here)... anyways.. great course, and difficult...

My favorite shot of the round: 190 yard par 3... i used my 3wood... hit it and it flew solid and straight... Hit it exactly 190 yrd.. pin high, about 8 yards off line.. Felt awesome.

Also.. i never knew this technology was commonly in use: Our golf cart was equiped with computer screen - GPS of the golf course. You roll your cart up to the ball and it tells you how far you are from the hole.. not only the holes, but the distances of all the hazards in play.. it was insane with the info it gave us! Loved it, and would of been lost on the course without it (in terms of trying to visually figure out how far away sandtraps appeared to be)

Anyways.. it was a blast.

Also.. i never knew this technology was commonly in use: Our golf cart was equiped with computer screen - GPS of the golf course. You roll your cart up to the ball and it tells you how far you are from the hole.. not only the holes, but the distances of all the hazards in play.. it was insane with the info it gave us! Loved it, and would of been lost on the course without it (in terms of trying to visually figure out how far away sandtraps appeared to be)

Anyways.. it was a blast.

Just before this past season ended, i got myself one of these,

http://golf.leupold.com/products/gx-4i-golf-rangefinder/

I think those GPS on carts are great and GPS is great in general but they often only give you distance to the Center of the green. More complex GPS will give you three distances: Back of the Green, Center of the Green, and Front of the Green. The most complex GPS i've seen will give you all those plus distance to hazards as well as distance to other golf carts on the entire course.

With the laser range finder though, you get whatever piece of grass you aim your range finder at. Plus it's pin point accurate up to 700 yards+ (depending on model). Yes, it means you have to carry an extra piece of equipment around with you but it's not distracting enough to your swing even if you store it in your pocket. You can also keep it in your golf bag or golf cart at a convenient and easy to reach place.

For those who are hardcore, getting a reading to the Center of the green just doesn't cut it. Yes, it's expensive but it's good for a lifetime. Totally recommended once you reach that level of golf where you have all your club distances nailed down to within yards.

Anyways, good to hear you played some golf in Mexico. I've never golfed in tropical weather before but I've heard a lot about, especially with the humidity and heat. They say the ball travels much less in the wetter air... plus Calgary is high altitude so the distances are way different.

Yeah, i'm a geek that way have looked up a tonne of those laser and GPS rangefinders trying to find a used one, since i can't justify $400 to wifey for a optional piece of equipment (no matter how awesome) in this early stage of of the game.

I've been scouring the Bushnell? line based on reviews.

As for the type of GPS this was... it was actually configured to the actual hole position for each hole! Also gave the dimensions of each green as we approached. The screen on the tee box would be of the whole layout of the hole with all hazards... and then when you came within distance to hit the approach shot to the green, it automatically switched to a close up of the green giving the shape, width and depth of thing with hole position... It was a real sophisticated piece of software i didn't know existed to that kinda detail...

It also timed our round, giving us our pace of play, and how compared to what pace we should be playing at.

Even before our round started, we were at the driving range, and it notified us as to when to move to the first hole.

The guy i was playing with told me these cart GPSs also sometimes tell you where the other carts are on the hole you playing, and also can notify the clubhouse if you are driving the cart on the fairways more than you should. Pretty shanzy.

In my research around christmas time, i saw those hand held GSP models you could find that tell you course layouts once you upload the file of whatever course you play... but i don't think saw (or just didn't look close enough) any that came close to this level of detail.

Mind you, general GPS's are trying to cover multiple courses, whereas the ones at this course are only focused on one... so the detail difference is understandable.

It blew my mind tho..

-----

In your experience with these toys peeps... have you used a handheld GPS on a course?

Obviously the laser is awesome... but are the GPSs better or just different.

Saw a combo GSP/laser..

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Hybrid-Pinseeker-Laser-Rangefinder/dp/B004LY3UV2

From the screenshot, the GPS part doesn't seem to give any significant info other than pin distance... but who knows..

41gUPAch-9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

here's commercial youtube of the thing...

Yeah, i'm a geek that way have looked up a tonne of those laser and GPS rangefinders trying to find a used one, since i can't justify $400 to wifey for a optional piece of equipment (no matter how awesome) in this early stage of of the game.

I've been scouring the Bushnell? line based on reviews.

As for the type of GPS this was... it was actually configured to the actual hole position for each hole! Also gave the dimensions of each green as we approached. The screen on the tee box would be of the whole layout of the hole with all hazards... and then when you came within distance to hit the approach shot to the green, it automatically switched to a close up of the green giving the shape, width and depth of thing with hole position... It was a real sophisticated piece of software i didn't know existed to that kinda detail...

It also timed our round, giving us our pace of play, and how compared to what pace we should be playing at.

Even before our round started, we were at the driving range, and it notified us as to when to move to the first hole.

The guy i was playing with told me these cart GPSs also sometimes tell you where the other carts are on the hole you playing, and also can notify the clubhouse if you are driving the cart on the fairways more than you should. Pretty shanzy.

In my research around christmas time, i saw those hand held GSP models you could find that tell you course layouts once you upload the file of whatever course you play... but i don't think saw (or just didn't look close enough) any that came close to this level of detail.

Mind you, general GPS's are trying to cover multiple courses, whereas the ones at this course are only focused on one... so the detail difference is understandable.

It blew my mind tho..

-----

In your experience with these toys peeps... have you used a handheld GPS on a course?

Obviously the laser is awesome... but are the GPSs better or just different.

Saw a combo GSP/laser..

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Hybrid-Pinseeker-Laser-Rangefinder/dp/B004LY3UV2

From the screenshot, the GPS part doesn't seem to give any significant info other than pin distance... but who knows..

41gUPAch-9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

here's commercial youtube of the thing...

My buddy has that exact Bushnell GPS + Rangerfinder combo. He seems to turn off the GPS feature though and i've always wondered why. Maybe the courses are not loaded into the GPS, or it's to conserve batteries, or if you're going to pick up a GPS to get a distance, then you might as well look through the scope of the Rangefinder for exact distances rather than using the GPS feature.

With a Rangefinder, you can rapid fire a bunch of targets very quickly while you pick your spot to aim at.

One advantage of the GPS feature when you have the courses loaded inside is that with a Rangefinder, you can't aim through hills and obstructions. If you're making a blind approach shot from a low lying area to a green at higher elevation, you can't see the pin or green to get a reading. So that's when a GPS comes in handy. GPS gives you a satellite reading.

Anyways, that specific Bushnell model is highly recommended. I don't think you can go wrong with either Leupold or Bushnell. They are both leaders in rangefinder technology. I went with the Leupold because i felt the build quality of the outer shell was better and would last longer. It's also a slightly more compact and lighter design and can fit into a pocket much better. The Bushnells, especially the GPS combo, is too bulky to fit in your pocket. It's got to ride in your golf cart or in your golf bag and that adds a bit of a nuisance when reaching for it.

I've golfed with friends who use a variety of Garmin watch GPS and those are simple and gives you enough info to choose the right club. It's adequate and good for the price but i'm too geeky and hardcore to go with something so limited. Plus, i'm not comfortable wearing a watch while swinging a club.

I've also golfed with friends who used a Golf Buddy voice GPS and those were surprisingly accurate. It reads out the distances so you don't even have to look.

And lastly, i would go with a Rangefinder over a GPS because increasingly more courses are installing GPS into their carts. You basically get a free GPS reading anyways. If you bring a GPS to the course too, then you're duplicating info whereas with a Rangefinder, you're equipped with the ability to gain additional information.

^ thanks again for taking the time for another solid informative post..

In messing around on google for GPS's... i've come across the newest thing... GPS Golf apps for smartphones.

Shoulda known this was already out by now...

SO i think it's almost a no brainer to get a laser range finder, then download one these apps to take care of the GPS aspect.

SO the question now is...

Which apps are the best?

The one thats come up a few times on various webpages:

GolfLogix http://www.golflogix.com/

- a free version

- and then $20 version.

- a tonne of cool features..

In doing a search for the best free ones...

Golflogix is there

Skydroid a few times http://www.skydroid.net/ (edit, it costs $1.99, but looks great)

SwingbySwing - ranked in the top 5 free sports app by PC Advisor

Freecaddie - free version sucks. you get 1 course. $5.95 version looks good tho.

GolfShot demo video looked awesome - http://golfshot.com/

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Anyways...

the never ending research continues....

^ thanks again for taking the time for another solid informative post..

In messing around on google for GPS's... i've come across the newest thing... GPS Golf apps for smartphones.

Shoulda known this was already out by now...

SO i think it's almost a no brainer to get a laser range finder, then download one these apps to take care of the GPS aspect.

SO the question now is...

Which apps are the best?

The one thats come up a few times on various webpages:

GolfLogix http://www.golflogix.com/

- a free version

- and then $20 version.

- a tonne of cool features..

In doing a search for the best free ones...

Golflogix is there

Skydroid a few times http://www.skydroid.net/ (edit, it costs $1.99, but looks great)

SwingbySwing - ranked in the top 5 free sports app by PC Advisor

Freecaddie - free version sucks. you get 1 course. $5.95 version looks good tho.

GolfShot demo video looked awesome - http://golfshot.com/

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Anyways...

the never ending research continues....

I use SwingbySwing on my Blackberry with Blackberry's built in native GPS. It's accurate to a satisfactory level and most importantly it's free. Downside is it doesn't have a lot of the private courses loaded in the app so it becomes useless then. Plus, the cursor is a big blue ball in the middle of the screen so it's difficult to get really precise. It's a great tool for distance "approximation" to about 5-10 yards. It won't give you slope calculations or anything sophisticated like that. I'm not sure if the other apps can do that (but probably not with a GPS).

Another good usage of the laser rangefinder is on the driving range. I know they always have posted signs of distances at the range but it's almost always slightly off and in some cases, intentionally shorter to give the golfer a false sense that they can drive the ball 5 to 10 yards farther than they really could. With a laser rangefinder, you can scan for exact distances to targets yourself and verify the distances.

Anyways, back to apps, they are great tools and like swingbyswing, it's totally free. More reason to go with a laser rangefinder than a GPS unit.

Oh with the Leupold GX-4i that I have, one of the features is continuous scanning. Meaning, while i hold the button and pan around, the numbers in the scope instantaneously update. With most range finders, you press the button and a number will display for a full second before it resets and let's you scan again. The feature is complete overkill but i mean, it's cool.

Guest happycat

I want to retire in a warmer climate so it's Golf time all the time.... instead of 6 months. But then.... with a short golf season, then perhaps it's valued more. I remember playing some Golf in China. Well a shooting range. I'm so so. I just don't have the finess, so all the power is not effectively converted. the ball also is often hit at a strange angle.

I want to retire in a warmer climate so it's Golf time all the time.... instead of 6 months. But then.... with a short golf season, then perhaps it's valued more. I remember playing some Golf in China. Well a shooting range. I'm so so. I just don't have the finess, so all the power is not effectively converted. the ball also is often hit at a strange angle.

6 months?!? Where do you live? In Calgary, it's more like 4 months (Half-May, June, July, August, and Half-September).

I downloaded GolfLogix and SwingbySwing...

GL requires you set up a username/pw so i haven't played with it yet.

SbS also does, but allows for your facebook signin.. so i played with that a bit.. looks very cool so far.

Opened up a local course that i've played on and checked it out... very neat. My phone dies after just a couple hrs of active use, so i doubt its ability to last a round..

(I have an HTC android.. i think its the desire HD)

Anyways.. a very cool addition. Next up... one of these laser rangefinders.. The one you have Peeps is widely regarded as the best on the market.. and priced as such.

I'll wait to get a little better and play more regularly before making that purchase... since i'm one of those guys that would be annoyed at buying an inferior product when i know there is much better available.

(first set of clubs being an obvious exception... but even they are starting to bug me after a recent trip to Golftown where i tested some higher end drivers).

Guest happycat

6 months?!? Where do you live? In Calgary, it's more like 4 months (Half-May, June, July, August, and Half-September).

>>> hehheheh I forgot I live in Soviet Canuckstan, and not Soviet China.... in China, in Shanghai, it doesn't turn winter, because of the moist but very very cold goo! It's like october how you're out doing gym clases (damn you Jr High gym teachers making us jog in the slippery icy glass at 8 am in the morning (I had the morning gyms). It's like that... Unless you work in the interior of China (also I did. then it's colder than where Anie is.... so you're like drunk all the time on This ether like barcardi like stuff just to keep your nuts from freezing to the bed (electricity is very very sporatic up there).....