The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hurtin_albertan

The Golf Thread

I played at Orange County National in Orlando, FL.

http://www.ocngolf.com/

We played the Crooked Cat Course and it was "okay".  I had high expectations because this was ranked as one of the top 10 public courses in the USA.  Maybe that ranking only applies to the Panther Lake Course, which is the more difficult one.  OCN, has 3 courses, the Panther Lake Course (difficult), Crooked Cat Course (beginners), and Tooth Course (9-hole par-3).

Crooked Cat was at times uneventful and too simple.  Fairways were extra wide and hazards were few and far inbetween.  A bad drive was easy to recover from.  The slope of the fairways were nice and flat almost all the time with only the odd holes being hilly.  Greens had simple breaks and was generally easy to read.  A great beginner course overall.  I would say it's comparable to a McCall Lake with the exception that the course maintanence was top notch.  The bunkers were ocean sand quality, greens were well maintained, trees were trimmed, cart paths were in great condition, and despite its sometimes boring holes, you could still feel that it was a high quality course.

$109 green fees with cart + $39 for club rentals

I give it a 7/10 and would recommend it for the traveller looking for an easy paced day on the course.

I played at Orange County National in Orlando, FL.

http://www.ocngolf.com/

We played the Crooked Cat Course and it was "okay".  I had high expectations because this was ranked as one of the top 10 public courses in the USA.  Maybe that ranking only applies to the Panther Lake Course, which is the more difficult one.  OCN, has 3 courses, the Panther Lake Course (difficult), Crooked Cat Course (beginners), and Tooth Course (9-hole par-3).

Crooked Cat was at times uneventful and too simple.  Fairways were extra wide and hazards were few and far inbetween.  A bad drive was easy to recover from.  The slope of the fairways were nice and flat almost all the time with only the odd holes being hilly.  Greens had simple breaks and was generally easy to read.  A great beginner course overall.  I would say it's comparable to a McCall Lake with the exception that the course maintanence was top notch.  The bunkers were ocean sand quality, greens were well maintained, trees were trimmed, cart paths were in great condition, and despite its sometimes boring holes, you could still feel that it was a high quality course.

$109 green fees with cart + $39 for club rentals

I give it a 7/10 and would recommend it for the traveller looking for an easy paced day on the course.

Yeah but...what did ya score?

I went to a 9 hole pitch n putt 2 weeks ago and scored a +7.

Bucket n' Birdies in Surrey, BC

$11. I have my own clubs, but i think rentals are $2 a club.  You only need 2... maybe 3.

It was once voted into the Top 10 practice facilities in North America... heh heh.

I would give the course a 4/10.  The range is much better of course.

(its my home range...)

Yeah but...what did ya score?

I went to a 9 hole pitch n putt 2 weeks ago and scored a +7.

Bucket n' Birdies in Surrey, BC

$11. I have my own clubs, but i think rentals are $2 a club.  You only need 2... maybe 3.

It was once voted into the Top 10 practice facilities in North America... heh heh.

I would give the course a 4/10.  The range is much better of course.

(its my home range...)

I shot a 104 and was pretty happy about it.  The round started poorly as it took me 3 holes to get adjusted to the rental clubs (brand new taylormade rocketballz).  Not sure if you guys have used rentals before but it's always slightly off from your own clubs.  Actually, the putter was the one club that i never got a hold of the entire round and it easily costed me an extra 3 to 5 strokes.  A 6 foot putt for birdie turns into a par.  A 6 foot putt for par turns into a bogey...

After the 3rd hole or so though, my game came together and i was playing virtually bogey golf for another 12 holes before imploding for the final 3.  When it was bad, it was pretty bad.  But it was just nice to be golfing in February so i can't complain.  I've never done that before.

One thing i did notice about golfing at sea level and in high humidity is that the distances are about 10 yards shorter than in Calgary.  I had to club up on virtually every shot. Instead of a 9-iron, i had to go with an 8-iron. etc.  It felt uncomfortable and that's on top of not using my own clubs. The only thing i had with me was my Leupold Rangefinder and that helped made me feel at ease the entire round.

Orlando is great for golfing in a sense that there's many golf courses around and at OCN, it was fairly quite that day.  We could've played some of the holes twice because no one was behind us.

We were on a cruise to the Bahamas and was inquiring about golfing at the Ocean Club at the Atlantis Hotel in Nassau.  Turns out, you have to be a guest at the hotel in order to be privileged with the opportunity to pay $270 for a tee time.  That price per person doesn't even include rentals and a room at the hotel starts at $900 USD per night... nice looking course though.

I just golfed Heatherglen and Maple Ridge last week.

The greens at Heatherglen is very bad this year.  Maybe it's because they opened the course too early in the season and now it's yellow and "patchy".  You can still putt on them but it's cut slow and doesn't run or break as much as it should.   For those who have never played there, some holes are as close together as Fox Hollow and Shaganappi.  Basically if you miss the fairway on the drive, you are hitting your second shot from the fairway of the adjacent hole.  It's overall very forgiving and would recommend it for the intermediate golfer.

Maple Ridge is decent this year, relatively speaking.  It's a city course so you can't expect PGA level greens and so relatively speaking, it's good this year. 

Ok, I wish I had been reading this thread, but I forgot about it.

The best golf app IMO is GolfShot. It really is excellent and I would suggest it to anyone. I actually got an iPhone a couple seasons back just so I could get this app, and it has worked wonders. In the first couple versions of the app it absolutely drained the battery dead in one round and I had to buy an extra battery. It's battery performance is much improved since then. It has all the great features of any app, including score keeping, shot distance, handicapping, advanced performance stats and game analysis, and club-by-club averages and performance analysis.

I've used it for 3+ seasons now, and it really is a great app. My friends all wanted to ride in my cart until they started getting their own versions of the app (now I don't have any friends once again :P)

Anyways, I'm off to florida and Disney World next week. I'll be hitting the championship courses on Disney property at least once, hopefully more. Unfortunately I don't have my own clubs here, so I'll have to rent. But it will be worth it.

As another golf related topic, the US Open is only about two hours out of NYC this year. Tickets to the final day are running about $250 right now. Do you guys think it would be worth it?

The best golf app IMO is GolfShot. It really is excellent and I would suggest it to anyone. I actually got an iPhone a couple seasons back just so I could get this app, and it has worked wonders. In the first couple versions of the app it absolutely drained the battery dead in one round and I had to buy an extra battery. It's battery performance is much improved since then. It has all the great features of any app, including score keeping, shot distance, handicapping, advanced performance stats and game analysis, and club-by-club averages and performance analysis.

I've used it for 3+ seasons now, and it really is a great app. My friends all wanted to ride in my cart until they started getting their own versions of the app (now I don't have any friends once again :P)

Why didn't you just buy a laser range finder instead for that price?  I don't imagine the iphone was cheap.

Anyways, I'm off to florida and Disney World next week. I'll be hitting the championship courses on Disney property at least once, hopefully more. Unfortunately I don't have my own clubs here, so I'll have to rent. But it will be worth it.

Check out Orange County National if you are in Orlando.  If you are good, then play the Panther course.  Let me know what you think about it.

As another golf related topic, the US Open is only about two hours out of NYC this year. Tickets to the final day are running about $250 right now. Do you guys think it would be worth it?

Geez, first the NHL Draft in New Jersey and now the US Open.  I wish I live in New York too...

It would be an experience of a lifetime I think.  Tiger Woods is playing good again.  There's a lot of big names who have a chance to win.  If you have the chance to go, then i say go for it.

Anyone else sad that Mcall Lake is getting shut down ?

For a city course, I actually enjoy playing there

Why didn't you just buy a laser range finder instead for that price?  I don't imagine the iphone was cheap.

Well, at the time, I can't say that I was opposed to having an iPhone either. Haha. I wanted it for a couple reasons, but when I bought it, it just so happened to be the start of the golf season. So that was the biggest reason on my mind at the time.

Check out Orange County National if you are in Orlando.  If you are good, then play the Panther course.  Let me know what you think about it.

Hmm... I'll have to take a look. I'm actually going TBH, I'll probably only get the chance to sneak in one round and since I'll be staying on the Disney resort and I get a pretty deep discount at all of the Disney World Resort courses, I'll probably just play one of them. But I'll definitely take a look.

Geez, first the NHL Draft in New Jersey and now the US Open.  I wish I live in New York too...

It would be an experience of a lifetime I think.  Tiger Woods is playing good again.  There's a lot of big names who have a chance to win.  If you have the chance to go, then i say go for it.

Yea, that's kind of how I'm feeling about it too. All the tickets are sold out, so I'm going to have to pay scalper prices on StubHub, but meh. I think it would be worth it.

McCall is where I learned to play. I played my first round of par-3 golf there and I played my first full 18 there as well. After McCall is gone, you will not be able to get a tee time at a city course anymore. Although, it will bolster Fox Hollow's tee times (what a dump).

The only city course that will be worth playing after McCall is gone is Maple Ridge. I personally can't stand Shag. The front 9 is so short now that it plays like an executive 9, and the back 9 was never long to begin with.

Last summer I really enjoyed playing Silverwing. I thought the greens were in decent condition all year and were fast in comparison to most other courses in the city. It was also nice to have them switch which courses made up the 18 holes. Overall, for price and tee time availability, it's becoming one of the more desirable courses in the city IMO.

It really is a shame to see them close McCall lake down. I think it's complete BS.

The only city course that will be worth playing after McCall is gone is Maple Ridge. I personally can't stand Shag. The front 9 is so short now that it plays like an executive 9, and the back 9 was never long to begin with.

Last summer I really enjoyed playing Silverwing. I thought the greens were in decent condition all year and were fast in comparison to most other courses in the city. It was also nice to have them switch which courses made up the 18 holes. Overall, for price and tee time availability, it's becoming one of the more desirable courses in the city IMO.

It really is a shame to see them close McCall lake down. I think it's complete BS.

If any course should get shut down, it should be Shag.  As Castle says, that course is hardly long enough to be considered a real 18 hole course.  Also, if the city's explanation for selling McCall Lake is that it would cut costs and cash out $30-million, then they should sell Shag. Shag is on prime real estate and could probably net the city double the amount.

That said, I don't think the City should be managing any golf courses at all because they are right, not many people are booking public courses anymore. Even for beginners, there are some good starter courses just at the edge/outskirts of town.

If any course should get shut down, it should be Shag.  As Castle says, that course is hardly long enough to be considered a real 18 hole course.  Also, if the city's explanation for selling McCall Lake is that it would cut costs and cash out $30-million, then they should sell Shag. Shag is on prime real estate and could probably net the city double the amount.

That said, I don't think the City should be managing any golf courses at all because they are right, not many people are booking public courses anymore. Even for beginners, there are some good starter courses just at the edge/outskirts of town.

When you consider the amount of money they just spent to renovate shag, it just makes me cringe.

I played Carstairs recently.  It's about 45 mins North of Calgary.  Beautiful greens.  Wide open fairways and very slice friendly.  Holes are spaced far apart so wild shots will find it difficult to land on the next hole's fairway.  Very few hazards on the fairways with bunkers almost only around the greens.  Hole variety is decent but not mind-blowing and there is no real "signature hole" so to speak.  Slope wise, the course is on the foothills but it's still relatively flat.  Not a lot of elevation change on the course, it's almost like McCall Lake Back-9, except better of course.  I shot a 99.  All in all, as my friend put it, it's a "feel good course" with pro-level greens that run fast and consistent.  Even though it's an "easy course", the yardage played 6200 from the whites.  Totally recommended for the beginner.  I give the course a 7/10. (The cart girl, on the other hand, is 10/10. HOLY HOLE IN ONE!)

I played Heatherglen twice recently with combinations of the Hills, Grove, and the Creek.  As usual, skinny fairways, tight course design will leave your ball on the next fairway if you lose control of your drive. "Fore" can be heard in the distance 5 times a round. "decent" green maintanence and decent quality but it runs slow, it's play-able but it's not for the serious golfer. It's one step above the city courses.  Oh yea, and mosquitoes galore, although that's a Calgary wide problem this week and not a problem unique to the course.  Overall, this course deserves a 5/10 for this year.

I was soooo hyped about this sport over the winter... I ve been to the range fricken 2-3 times since I played in Mexico.  :(

Weather is gorgeous here too... now making me feel sad about not playing.

Don't have kids.  

Ok.. have kids, but just be able to plan to commit to the sport better than I have.  Had my second kid May 29th, so still in sleep deprivation mode... Will be able to get back on the range in mid-July...  And then maybe be able share a story like peeps above soon thereafter...

I'm envious!  Play a few extra rounds for me people...

I was soooo hyped about this sport over the winter... I ve been to the range fricken 2-3 times since I played in Mexico.   :(

Weather is gorgeous here too... now making me feel sad about not playing.

Don't have kids.  

Ok.. have kids, but just be able to plan to commit to the sport better than I have.  Had my second kid May 29th, so still in sleep deprivation mode... Will be able to get back on the range in mid-July...  And then maybe be able share a story like peeps above soon thereafter...

I'm envious!  Play a few extra rounds for me people...

Hey congrats on the baby!

Golf is a life long sport so no need to rush into it or anything.  If there's no time for the course, then stay in shape at the driving range.

I wonder how bad some of the golf courses were damaged ?  Will that have any impact on keeping Mcall Lake open for another year or will they want to sell it quicker so they have some extra money for the downtown city damage bill ?

I wonder how bad some of the golf courses were damaged ?  Will that have any impact on keeping Mcall Lake open for another year or will they want to sell it quicker so they have some extra money for the downtown city damage bill ?

Kananaskis closed for remainder of the year,

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/golf/Kanananskis+Golf+Course+tracks+shut+down+season/8568056/story.html

Many others damaged badly,

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/golf/Calgary+area+golf+courses+showing+resolve+back+business/8573178/story.html

Inglewood (either back 9 or front 9) completely washed out.

Sounds like about 5 other private courses are undergoing assessment.

Was it Glencoe that took 3 years to build/renovate and finally opened? only to be washed out?

I think Redwood Meadows is damaged badly.

Sounds like 5 or so public courses are temporarily closed until further notice.

I just played Dinosaur Trail at Drumheller.

I liked it for its scenery and gimmicky back-9 but will probably not go back again.  The reason is the front 9 is way too bland.  There were hoodoos just North of the clubhouse that would've made for a fantastic start to the round but no, instead the front-9 was built on a very basic flat piece of land by the river.  The back-9 is phenomenal.  Just driving up to the 10th tee will give you the goosebumps. Once you're up there, it's target practice and skill testing shots as the course meanders in and around the hoodoos and badlands.  It was one unforgettable hole after another.  The scenery was breath-taking. The holes were challenging and unforgiving.  Out of bounds was truly out of bounds.  You weren't on the next guy's fairway.  You were in the snake pit 30ft down the side of the hoodoo.  Greens played a bit slow but was consistent throughout the course.  Fairways were well maintained.

Front-9 i give 5/10.

Back-9 i give 10/10

Overall 7.5/10

If they ever make the Front-9 as awesome as the Back-9, then move over Tobiano, i think Drumheller would be my favorite course on this planet.

Well had two of my students finish 1st and 2nd in our provincial championship. HELL YA !!!!!

Congrats, your "golf" students?

Yes, golf students...Only one is going to Nationals the other was invited to Scotland to as the team Captain for team Canada, Last week he took the USA best player to 18th in match play, lost on the final hole. He was -4 on the front nine at Glen Abbey got nervous he said and leaked a bit of oil... Wish them both well in the next few weeks ahead.

I just played Dinosaur Trail at Drumheller.

I liked it for its scenery and gimmicky back-9 but will probably not go back again.  The reason is the front 9 is way too bland.  There were hoodoos just North of the clubhouse that would've made for a fantastic start to the round but no, instead the front-9 was built on a very basic flat piece of land by the river.  The back-9 is phenomenal.  Just driving up to the 10th tee will give you the goosebumps. Once you're up there, it's target practice and skill testing shots as the course meanders in and around the hoodoos and badlands.  It was one unforgettable hole after another.  The scenery was breath-taking. The holes were challenging and unforgiving.  Out of bounds was truly out of bounds.  You weren't on the next guy's fairway.  You were in the snake pit 30ft down the side of the hoodoo.  Greens played a bit slow but was consistent throughout the course.  Fairways were well maintained.

Front-9 i give 5/10.

Back-9 i give 10/10

Overall 7.5/10

If they ever make the Front-9 as awesome as the Back-9, then move over Tobiano, i think Drumheller would be my favorite course on this planet.

Congrats, your "golf" students?

Yes, golf students...Only one is going to Nationals the other was invited to Scotland to as the team Captain for team Canada, Last week he took the USA best player to 18th in match play, lost on the final hole. He was -4 on the front nine at Glen Abbey got nervous he said and leaked a bit of oil... Wish them both well in the next few weeks ahead.

Congrats man! All the best to them.  Hope they keep progressing and maybe someday we see them in the PGA.  Do you think they have a chance to get to that level?

Thanks, anything is possible. They both have the ability one more so than the other. They are both off to college so we will see what there development brings from that.

Congrats man! All the best to them.  Hope they keep progressing and maybe someday we see them in the PGA.  Do you think they have a chance to get to that level?

Planning a golf trip in December (or late November)... somewhere warm like the Caribbeans. Has anyone golfed there before?  Cuba?  Jamaica?  Dominican Rep? Anything like that?  Any courses recommend?

Even info about golf in Mexico or anything like that would be helpful.  Thanks in advance.

Thanks, anything is possible. They both have the ability one more so than the other. They are both off to college so we will see what there development brings from that.

Cools man.  All the best to them.  It would be nice to have more Canadians in the PGA.

I golfed Calgary's Hamptons.

They used to be a full private course but was purchased by the Silverwing/Boulder'sCreek group and so they are now semi-private.  My experience with private courses are few but Hamptons is a hole in one when it compared to public courses.

Driving range into a giant man made pond with range balls that float in the water.  Juiced up electric golf carts (some of the fasted i've ever driven but doesn't come with GPS).  Ball washers on the carts with complementary bottles of water.   Greens ran fast and well maintained.  Fairways had high slope rating and so it was super challenging.  Rough was semi-landscaped.  Houses were far from play at a safe distance.  Holes were imaginative, creative, and signatured thoughout (and i mean throughout).  It's actually very difficult to say anything bad about the golf course outside of it being overly difficult for an average player like myself, i think Hamptons is the best golf "public/semi-private" course in Calgary.

Pricey though.  $130 with cart (i believe) but I went on a discount promotion.

I give it a 9/10.  Absolute must try.