The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The_People1

The Fishing Thread

Any avid anglers here?

I hadn't fished in a decade until i got sent up North to the Alberta oilsands for work last summer. I fished North Wabasca Lake for 3 months and i got totally hooked on fishing again. I'm gearing up at the moment with a full tackle box and considering buying a small inflatable boat for trolling this spring and summer.

I was told North Wabasca Lake in particular is not stocked and fish populations are natural because the area is so remote from mass civilization, they don't have an over fishing problem. Nobody really goes there except the few locals in Wabasca-Desmarias and nearby oil workers. Action there was always plentiful and the break down of catches seemed like 75% pike, 20% walleye, 5% perch, (and unable to catch burbots in the summer). I think this break down is because most anglers who catch pike will just release them but if they catch walleye, they take it home as dinner. The fish was also decent size ranging from 30cm to 50cm and there's always the rare 75cm+ pike.

Anyways, i still consider myself quite a newbie at fishing (and completely new to boating). Last summer, I fished on a boat of one of the field operators at Wabasca and i really liked the ability to troll the waters with a fish finder. Any advice on what boat and fish finder to get? I don't have a particularly high budget so i was thinking of something like a Zodiac inflatable.

Anyways anyways, open for discussion. Where's the best lakes/rivers to fish in Alberta (or Canada in general). Heck, what about Montana and the North States that's within driving distance from Calgary? Crack open a six pack and let's hear some fishing stories!

I know a great fishing spot. It's about 1/2 a mile to the right of where that old horse always stands, by the last fencepost in the field, right after the medium sized hill, and the big tree you know? Southern Alberta, it's in southern Alberta not far from highway 21. Beautiful, beautiful place, awesome fishing. ;)

Hi The_People1,

I'm surprised I haven't noticed this thread until now.

I used to fish with my friends and family when I was younger and got away from it. About 2 years ago, a friend asked me to up to Northern Sask for a fishing trip (Churchill River/Lac La Ronge) and absolutely loved it! (Funny story to follow). I'd to suggest a site for you to look up your ideas for getting a boat..

http://www.fishingsaskatchewan.ca/

There isn't much information in regards to good fishing in Alberta but there's excellent info on boats, tips and tricks. If you ever find yourself around Sask, I'd suggest Lac La Ronge, Tobin Lake in the north and Last Mountain Lake and Diefenbaker Lake in the south. Twins from Saskatoon pulled the world record Rainbow trout out of Diefenbaker Lake (link to prove it's not just a story ;)http://www.fishing-in-saskatchewan.com/rainbow-trout.asp) so that should speak to the good fishing. I love going there myself as there's tons of different fish there, goldeye, walleye, pike, sturgeon, burbot, trout, etc. The only place I've been fishing in Alberta is Half Moon Lake up by St. Albert..not too bad for pike/walleyes.

I love trout fishing myself. Pike always hit the line hard and initially shock you a bit but trout take the line and they're bloody good fighters. I landed a 6 pounder last summer and it took me a good 12 minutes to bring it in. Usually use a Mepps spoon or interestingly enough, caught this one on a pickeral rig with minnows. Stream/river trout fishing in Cypress Hills is quite amazing on the SK side..I'm sure it's just as awesome on the AB side as well.

I also have to agree with you on the northern fishing..it's not as overfished as the south but I tend to find there's alot of commercial netting and such by companies.

So to get into the spirit of the fishing season right around the corner, I have two stories for you. Some friends and I went camping up north and one them had a friend that took us out on a couple of boats..my friends were catching pickerel and jacks with ease and I wasn't having any luck except this little pike I caught and released. My brother at one point was giving me the gears and picked a nice sized walleye and was beaking at me from the other boat but the fish slipped out of his hands and fell back in the water..don't count right? Good times! Anyway, near the end of the day, I caught a real nice 27 inch pike (released) and a decent size walleye so at least I had the bragging rights for the biggest fish that day! Everyone else caught 4-5 fish each, mixture of walleyes and pike with the latter being released. The north is amazing for fishing and scenery.

Second story, I was out fishing at Diefenbaker this past summer and there was a few boats near shore..roughly 7-10 feet of water. I was on the shore casting out and these guys from their boat was giving me the gears that I wasn't going to catch any fish. Well at the end of the day, I caught a couple of pan sized walleye and they went home empty-handed..doesn't happen often but I like it when that happens lol.

Third one I'll share is we just went for a small trip to a trout pond and three of us guys went along with one of their kids. Of course, we had to good fishing gear and the little guy had a $13.00 Walmart rod with a small hook and corn. Who went home with the fish that day? The little guy!

Can't wait for fishing season to kick off here soon!

Hi The_People1,

I'm surprised I haven't noticed this thread until now.

I used to fish with my friends and family when I was younger and got away from it. About 2 years ago, a friend asked me to up to Northern Sask for a fishing trip (Churchill River/Lac La Ronge) and absolutely loved it! (Funny story to follow). I'd to suggest a site for you to look up your ideas for getting a boat..

http://www.fishingsaskatchewan.ca/

There isn't much information in regards to good fishing in Alberta but there's excellent info on boats, tips and tricks. If you ever find yourself around Sask, I'd suggest Lac La Ronge, Tobin Lake in the north and Last Mountain Lake and Diefenbaker Lake in the south. Twins from Saskatoon pulled the world record Rainbow trout out of Diefenbaker Lake (link to prove it's not just a story ;)http://www.fishing-in-saskatchewan.com/rainbow-trout.asp) so that should speak to the good fishing. I love going there myself as there's tons of different fish there, goldeye, walleye, pike, sturgeon, burbot, trout, etc. The only place I've been fishing in Alberta is Half Moon Lake up by St. Albert..not too bad for pike/walleyes.

I love trout fishing myself. Pike always hit the line hard and initially shock you a bit but trout take the line and they're bloody good fighters. I landed a 6 pounder last summer and it took me a good 12 minutes to bring it in. Usually use a Mepps spoon or interestingly enough, caught this one on a pickeral rig with minnows. Stream/river trout fishing in Cypress Hills is quite amazing on the SK side..I'm sure it's just as awesome on the AB side as well.

I also have to agree with you on the northern fishing..it's not as overfished as the south but I tend to find there's alot of commercial netting and such by companies.

So to get into the spirit of the fishing season right around the corner, I have two stories for you. Some friends and I went camping up north and one them had a friend that took us out on a couple of boats..my friends were catching pickerel and jacks with ease and I wasn't having any luck except this little pike I caught and released. My brother at one point was giving me the gears and picked a nice sized walleye and was beaking at me from the other boat but the fish slipped out of his hands and fell back in the water..don't count right? Good times! Anyway, near the end of the day, I caught a real nice 27 inch pike (released) and a decent size walleye so at least I had the bragging rights for the biggest fish that day! Everyone else caught 4-5 fish each, mixture of walleyes and pike with the latter being released. The north is amazing for fishing and scenery.

Second story, I was out fishing at Diefenbaker this past summer and there was a few boats near shore..roughly 7-10 feet of water. I was on the shore casting out and these guys from their boat was giving me the gears that I wasn't going to catch any fish. Well at the end of the day, I caught a couple of pan sized walleye and they went home empty-handed..doesn't happen often but I like it when that happens lol.

Third one I'll share is we just went for a small trip to a trout pond and three of us guys went along with one of their kids. Of course, we had to good fishing gear and the little guy had a $13.00 Walmart rod with a small hook and corn. Who went home with the fish that day? The little guy!

Can't wait for fishing season to kick off here soon!

Hey thanks so much for the reply dude!

I ended up buying this boat,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-5-ft-126-INFLATABLE-FISHING-BOAT-RAFT-DINGHY-TENDER-SCUBA-w-aluminum-floor-/251025447248?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3a72485950

With a 4-stroke Yamaha 9.9hp outboard,

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?model=3825&class=82&group=O|&LANG=en

Minn Kota Traxxis trolling motor,

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/trolling_motors/freshwater_transom_mount/traxxis.aspx

Humminbird 798ci HD si combo,

http://store.humminbird.com/products/409964/798ci_HD_SI_Combo

And best of all, i caught absolutely no fish last year! LOL... went out to the lake 4 times. Once in Travers Reservoir (Little Bow Provincial Park) but that was the day with 100km winds. My buddy and I took the boat to the middle of the lake riding 2-to-3 foot waves for 30 minutes the entire way before realizing the boat was too rocky to fish. So we decided to head back to the dock but that took us 4 hours to get back. Our boat only sits 18 inches above water and we had the fight of our lives riding against wind and waves. We more or less got slapped in the face with water every 4 seconds for 4 hours straight. We planned for a nice peaceful day at the lake but discovered a white water rafting experience instead. Good times.

Went out to Spray Lakes in Kananaskis but had to luck. First time using a fish finder that day and found no fish. I think the lake averaged 60m deep everywhere. We were fishing with buzz bombs as suggested by many who go to that lake but didn't have any luck. Didn't even find a fish on the fish finder.

Upper Kananaskis Lake. It was a camping trip mostly so time in the lake was limited. Had a couple bites but didn't catch anything. Went back to Travers a second time but it was really late in the season and didn't see anyone catch anything.

So all in all, last season was a major fail. I did however, manage to test out all my gear and test out my boat. If time permits this year, then i would make a weekend trip up North. I had co-workers suggest Lac La Biche near Edmonton so i might give that a try this season. Or, maybe Lesser Slave Lake as they frequently advertise themselves as having the largest pikes in Alberta (if not all of Canada).

Thanks for the suggested lakes in Saskatchewan. Diefenbaker Lake looks like a decent sized lake and it's a closer drive from Calgary for me.

Diefenbaker reservoir really is a solid lake to fish. I went once on a whim a couple of years ago for a couple hours fishing from shore. I had no luck myself other than a sold hit which snapped my line VERY quickly at dusk. I have been told many wonderful stories of fishing there as long as you have a boat. I sadly do not yet have a boat. Looking at your purchase, I may need to look in the same direction however.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Canoes-Kayaks-Small-Boats/Small-Craft-Inflatable|/pc/104794380/c/104710680/sc/104581980/Bass-Hunter-EX-Boat/753124.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fcompare_items.jsp%3FcategoryIds%3D104794380%7C104710680%7C104581980%26entityId%3D737047%26entityId%3D753124%26entityId%3D737267%26entityId%3D1227514

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Electric-Trolling-Motors/Bow-Mount|/pc/104794380/c/104716980/sc/104233680/Minn-Kota-45-Edge-Foot-Control-Bow-Mount-Trolling-Motor/1298561.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fboating-electric-trolling-motors-bow-mount%2F_%2FN-1100545%2FNs-MIN_SALE_PRICE%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104794380%253Bcat104716980%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104794380%3Bcat104716980%3Bcat104233680

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Boating-Outboards-Accessories/Outboards|/pc/104794380/c/104752980/sc/104475780/Mercury174-Four-Stroke-Outboard-Motors/700615.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fboating-boating-outboards-accessories-outboards%2F_%2FN-1100532%2FNe-567%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104475780%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104794380%253Bcat104752980%26WTz_srn%3DBy%2BBrand%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104794380%3Bcat104752980%3Bcat104475780

(5 HP model)

Looks like a decent setup to me. Basically should run around $2800 + tax if I buy it all new from Cabela's. (Hopefully the Saskatoon store opens soon or I have to drive to Winnipeg to buy it.

Throw in a http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lowrance-Elite-4X-Color-Sonar/1298547.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D20%26Ns%3DMIN_SALE_PRICE%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dfish%2Bfinder%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dfish%2Bfinder%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=fish+finder&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Under $3000 before tax I would have a nice small lake setup.

I sadly do not yet have a boat. Looking at your purchase, I may need to look in the same direction however.

I went with an inflatable boat because i don't have a truck that can tow, don't have a trailer, and don't have any space at home to park a real boat. I think what i bought is adequate for what i need and i'll upgrade later after i upgrade every other aspect of life i guess.

My boat with all miscellaneous accessories cost me roughly $6,500.

One big advantage of an inflatable is that I can launch my boat from virtually anywhere along the shore and don't require a boat launch. It's also pretty light weight so a small motor can still go decent speed. When the fish just aren't biting that day, there's the option to turn on the jets and just have some fun in the water.

But in any event, fishing on a boat is a totally different experience from fishing on shore. Way more fun.

Peeps, ditch thoes buzz bombs and get yourself some stick bait about 4 to 6 inches long. Get one in silver,get one in gold and get one in fire stripe (red,yellow and orange with black stripes running down the body) These 3 simple colors are very effective for pike and walleye and they also let you switch things up when the fish are not biting. I find that walleye are funny about color and if say the gold one hasen't got you a bite in an hour then switch it up for the silver one. Pike not so much,just get it near them and they will strike.

Always experiment with your lure and color and try to find that combo that works well that day cuz when you find it you are in for a great day of fish'n! :D

Another good tip to find the fish is always keep an eye out for cabbage weeds ( or just weeds in general) as pike and walleye like to hunt the small bait fish that try and hide in it. If you are out in the middle of the lake and your fish finder is powerfull enough to pick up the weeds at the bottom then try to place your lure a couple of feet above the weeds and troll back and forth.

If you can see that the weeds reach the surface then try and put that lure a couple for feet off the bottom and troll in front of it. This is the method I use most as the weeds that go from the bottom to the surface are found from the shoreline to about 50 feet out. I do troll sometimes but prefer to spin cast in front of these weed beds as I can put the boat in a good spot and get some real good action on the lure than just trolling.

If your lure gets tangled in the weeds and you rip some off with the hooks then clean it off immediately as pike or walleye (most fish) will not strike that lure.

Try McGregor,Lillte Bow,Newell and Rolling Hill Lakes. All offer good pike fishing with walleye sprinkled in but go on a nice day with little wind please ;)

Hope that helped Peeps and good fish'n to ya.

Peeps, ditch thoes buzz bombs and get yourself some stick bait about 4 to 6 inches long. Get one in silver,get one in gold and get one in fire stripe (red,yellow and orange with black stripes running down the body) These 3 simple colors are very effective for pike and walleye and they also let you switch things up when the fish are not biting. I find that walleye are funny about color and if say the gold one hasen't got you a bite in an hour then switch it up for the silver one. Pike not so much,just get it near them and they will strike.

Always experiment with your lure and color and try to find that combo that works well that day cuz when you find it you are in for a great day of fish'n! :D

Another good tip to find the fish is always keep an eye out for cabbage weeds ( or just weeds in general) as pike and walleye like to hunt the small bait fish that try and hide in it. If you are out in the middle of the lake and your fish finder is powerfull enough to pick up the weeds at the bottom then try to place your lure a couple of feet above the weeds and troll back and forth.

If you can see that the weeds reach the surface then try and put that lure a couple for feet off the bottom and troll in front of it. This is the method I use most as the weeds that go from the bottom to the surface are found from the shoreline to about 50 feet out. I do troll sometimes but prefer to spin cast in front of these weed beds as I can put the boat in a good spot and get some real good action on the lure than just trolling.

If your lure gets tangled in the weeds and you rip some off with the hooks then clean it off immediately as pike or walleye (most fish) will not strike that lure.

Try McGregor,Lillte Bow,Newell and Rolling Hill Lakes. All offer good pike fishing with walleye sprinkled in but go on a nice day with little wind please ;)

Hope that helped Peeps and good fish'n to ya.

Hey thanks for the tips man. What do you mean by "stick bait"? Do you mean the soft plastic/jelly baits like Yum/Gulp/Powerbait?

http://www.basspro.com/Soft-Baits-Lures/_/S-100007000

I was using Buzz Bombs in Spray Lakes because all they have there are Lake Trout and Mountain Whitefish. Heard lots of others had success jigging buzz bombs at 30m depth and beyond. That lake is really deep and buzz bombs can get down to that depth more naturally because they are so heavy. There's no walleye or pike in that lake. At Upper Kananaskis Lake though, there were cutthroat and bull trout. I saw others get some action using Mepps spinners.

At Little Bow/Travers where there are mostly pike and walleye, i was using spinners like Mepps, Bluefox, and Lucky Strike but didn't get any bites. Used some regular spoons and some Rapala crankbaits but had no luck either. Even fished by the spillway and the dam where everybody else was fishing but didn't catch anything and didn't see anyone else catch anything either. I make it a habit to attach Gulp/Yum worms to the hooks of some of the spinners but still nothing. Ah well. I will try your tips this season and hopefully catch something more than just seaweed.

For anyone interested fishing Alberta this season, here's a great link to the Atlas of Alberta lakes,

http://alberta-lakes.sunsite.ualberta.ca/

Tells you what sport fish are in each lake.

Guest happycat

Great going Peeps, now with you hoomans fishing all the fish, what will us Cats eat?

ssssssshhhhh Peeps don't give away the secret of Chinese away like that, that we eat fish fat, and all that natural steriods so straight for our brains, PS Flames if you eat lots of fish you too can have ninja brain-athlete powers. This is how we can like fly around with swords It's what Ford ate to turn back in to an aging Indiana Jones... Sigh too bad Lucas didn't eat this regularly that way he wouldn't have went crazy and invented "Senator" Jar Jar.

ssssssshhhhh Peeps don't give away the secret of Chinese away like that, that we eat fish fat, and all that natural steriods so straight for our brains, PS Flames if you eat lots of fish you too can have ninja brain-athlete powers. This is how we can like fly around with swords It's what Ford ate to turn back in to an aging Indiana Jones... Sigh too bad Lucas didn't eat this regularly that way he wouldn't have went crazy and invented "Senator" Jar Jar.

Hey thanks for the tips man. What do you mean by "stick bait"? Do you mean the soft plastic/jelly baits like Yum/Gulp/Powerbait?

http://www.basspro.c...s/_/S-100007000

I was using Buzz Bombs in Spray Lakes because all they have there are Lake Trout and Mountain Whitefish. Heard lots of others had success jigging buzz bombs at 30m depth and beyond. That lake is really deep and buzz bombs can get down to that depth more naturally because they are so heavy. There's no walleye or pike in that lake. At Upper Kananaskis Lake though, there were cutthroat and bull trout. I saw others get some action using Mepps spinners.

At Little Bow/Travers where there are mostly pike and walleye, i was using spinners like Mepps, Bluefox, and Lucky Strike but didn't get any bites. Used some regular spoons and some Rapala crankbaits but had no luck either. Even fished by the spillway and the dam where everybody else was fishing but didn't catch anything and didn't see anyone else catch anything either. I make it a habit to attach Gulp/Yum worms to the hooks of some of the spinners but still nothing. Ah well. I will try your tips this season and hopefully catch something more than just seaweed.

For anyone interested fishing Alberta this season, here's a great link to the Atlas of Alberta lakes,

http://alberta-lakes...te.ualberta.ca/

Tells you what sport fish are in each lake.

This is stickbait used for trolling

WSLaurie_Halco_Gillies_StickBait_Web.jpg

This is stickbait used for casting with your spinner reel

Stick+bait.jpg

Notice the difference? This stickbait has the plastic spoon like thing .........................................^ just like you will find on crankbait and will act in almost the same fashion. Cast it out,reel in quickly as that will cause the lure to dive, stop and let the lure float back to the surface flicking your wrist a few times as you are trying to mimic a bait fish under duress. repeat these steps till the lure is back in the boat,take a swig of beer and cast it back out.

That casting stickbait or a crankbait is what I use exclusively for pike and walleye. I will travel up and down(in the boat) the shoreline looking for weed beds,rock formations,downed trees just about anything that looks like a good spot for fish to hide in and cast away.

If that stickbait is not working then I will pull out the secret weapon...a floating frog. It is very effective on pike,walleye and trout if you find a weed bed that just breaks the surface. Cast that frog into the middle of the weed bed and reel him in pausing every few feet.

I exclusively Fly fish for trout through out all the little lakes and rivers near Calgary but if i'm feeling lazy nothing works better than the time tested bobber or float with hook and a live worm on the end. Check your regulations first as you are not allowed to use live bait on some of the lakes and rivers. If not allowed to use live bait then this is where Berkley powerbait worms come in. If fact check out all the Berkley powerbait for trout fishing as they make some excellent products.

For deep water lake trout or whitefish where you will be trolling all day then use stickbait,spoons, spinners and a method called "cut plug" Cut plug is where you cut the minnow's head off at a 45 degree angle and rig the hooks a certain way like this

IMG_2061-275x206.jpg

The placement of the hooks are important but you can experiment as it effects the roll of the bait.If you have a hard time cutting the head off a defenceless minnow then Berkley's powerbait minnows will do the trick.

Peeps, The one thing I read in your post and it is KILL'N all your action......DO NOT ATTACH any gulp/yum worms,ANYTHING to the hooks of your stickbait,crankbait.spoons and spinners (any lure) All this does is confuse the fish as it breaks up the silhouette. Remember all we are trying to do is mimic a bait fish under duress and you don't need a piece of weed of worm flapping around 1 or more inches behind the hook. You want that fish to strike the lure and ask questions later ;)

Peeps, The one thing I read in your post and it is KILL'N all your action......DO NOT ATTACH any gulp/yum worms,ANYTHING to the hooks of your stickbait,crankbait.spoons and spinners (any lure) All this does is confuse the fish as it breaks up the silhouette. Remember all we are trying to do is mimic a bait fish under duress and you don't need a piece of weed of worm flapping around 1 or more inches behind the hook. You want that fish to strike the lure and ask questions later ;)

I've been attaching the Gulp/Yum worms like such,

Rigged%20bait,%20note%20the%20loop%20and%20tubing%20setup..jpg

So basically, just adding flavour and tail action to a spinnerbait. I have used this setup with success in North Wabasca Lake and caught some walleyes with it. I have however, also tried to attach Berkley Powerbait dough/marshmallows to the hooks of stickbait/crankbait but haven't caught anything with that setup and it's most probably because of what you are talking about. Adding a ball of dough to a crankbait will disrupt the swim pattern of the bait and confuse fish.

I have various kinds of these Rapalas,

http://www.basspro.com/Rapala-XRap/product/57968/55670

but haven't caught anything with them yet. I read that they are more for bass than anything else but reading about your experience with their use on pike and walleye, it's given me renewed confidence in using them. I've always wondered about the frog/floating lures too but haven't had luck using them. I will give them a try next time i find a weed bed.

I've been attaching the Gulp/Yum worms like such,

Rigged%20bait,%20note%20the%20loop%20and%20tubing%20setup..jpg

So basically, just adding flavour and tail action to a spinnerbait. I have used this setup with success in North Wabasca Lake and caught some walleyes with it. I have however, also tried to attach Berkley Powerbait dough/marshmallows to the hooks of stickbait/crankbait but haven't caught anything with that setup and it's most probably because of what you are talking about. Adding a ball of dough to a crankbait will disrupt the swim pattern of the bait and confuse fish.

I have various kinds of these Rapalas,

http://www.basspro.c...uct/57968/55670

but haven't caught anything with them yet. I read that they are more for bass than anything else but reading about your experience with their use on pike and walleye, it's given me renewed confidence in using them. I've always wondered about the frog/floating lures too but haven't had luck using them. I will give them a try next time i find a weed bed.

That is not a bad set up on that type of spinnerbait but I wouldn't add anything elts. Have you ever rotated that gulp worm tail so it points down and not up? you might just get a little different action on the lure.

I don't mind thoes Rapala lures one bit as they work well but I would p/u a lure more geared to pike and walleye fishing. It all comes down to how you work the lure, the jerk on the rod and the flick of the wrist...experience is what I'm trying to say. I does take many hours to master these lures but who cares as you are still fish'n ;)

Google "Images of pike lures" or " Images of walleye lures" and compair the two. Hell, Google anything like "pike fishing tips" and loads of info will come up. I have found that the best info comes from your local fishing store. Hopefully you got a good one in your area and the people who work behind the counter to the customers who walk through the door know what they are talking about. Not sure if your close by but Wholesale Sports @ 25 Heritage Meadows Way S.E. (Blackfoot Trail S.E. and Heritage Drive S.E.) have a great selection of lures and a couple of older gentlemen that really know their stuff.

Hope that helps and good fish'n to ya!

Speak of the devil, look what I just found via the web...Bump fishing for walleye.I had heard of this method before but never tried it but will now.

Have you ever bump fished for walleye before? check out this rig as all you got to do is let the weight hit the bottom and then simply jig the lure up and down bumping the weight against the bottom. Use a white or silver stickbait lure for feeding walleye and a bright colored one for Walleye that are defending the nest after spawn. Also works on pike and trout. Cool.

walleyetips2.jpg