Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Confirmed: Regehr To Buffalo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
804 replies to this topic

#1 wally31

wally31

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:04 AM

I don't know how to paiste video links, but if you go to TSN.ca and watch the "DraftCentre:Setting the Scene" video, Darren talks about Calgary looking to trade a defenceman at the draft... He said potentially Regehr.

This is purely speculation, but I thought we could talk about who that defenceman might be, and what we would get back in return. I wouldn't be surprised to see Feaster looking to get a top 8 pick.

#2 Ring-a-ding-dong-dandy

Ring-a-ding-dong-dandy

A legend in my own mind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:35 AM

I don't know how to paiste video links, but if you go to TSN.ca and watch the "DraftCentre:Setting the Scene" video, Darren talks about Calgary looking to trade a defenceman at the draft... He said potentially Regehr.

This is purely speculation, but I thought we could talk about who that defenceman might be, and what we would get back in return. I wouldn't be surprised to see Feaster looking to get a top 8 pick.

I just posted this in another topic but I suggested a deal between Calgary and Washington. Regehr and the 57th for Wideman, the 26th and the 114th

#3 geos

geos

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:03 AM

I just posted this in another topic but I suggested a deal between Calgary and Washington. Regehr and the 57th for Wideman, the 26th and the 114th

Personally I'd move Regehr first, absolutely. I think he's past his best before date and his mobility is a big problem. I think we can move Regehr without impacting the team to a large degree (unlike moving JBo).

The question is can we get a first for him? Regehr + 57th for Wideman + 26th is a stretch. I don't see Regehr as being a huge upgrade over Wideman (actually potentially a downgrade as Regehr has zero offensive ability versus limited offensive ability from Wideman).

I'd take a first from any team for Regehr straight up if it were offered.

#4 Baalzamon

Baalzamon

Stats Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:09 AM

The question is can we get a first for him? Regehr + 57th for Wideman + 26th is a stretch. I don't see Regehr as being a huge upgrade over Wideman (actually potentially a downgrade as Regehr has zero offensive ability versus limited offensive ability from Wideman).

the thing is Washington doesn't really have a dman who can shut down like Regehr can. They have Green and Carlson for offence, bringing in Wideman didn't really add anything they didn't already have. Regehr I can see as possibly a good partner for Green, if they choose to do it that way. Not on the powerplay, obviously.

The question is, would a Bouwmeester-Wideman pair work for the flames? On the powerplay it might. They may go for putting Sarich back with jBo, though that would likely cut Bouwmeester's minutes a tad. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I don't know that Wideman fits here.

#5 JA_Boomer

JA_Boomer

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:31 AM

As Regehr is my favorite Flame, I would be crushed if he were to be traded. If we're going to trade a defenseman, I hope Sarich is the one to go. I like Sarge's style of play, but neither he nor Babchuck is a true top-4 dman.

#6 geos

geos

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:16 AM

I don't think any of us would flinch if Sarich was dealt, but you're not getting much back for him. Not a first. I think he's more valuable on the team. Reliable and eats minutes.

And to Baal... I'm skeptical Regehr can perform in Washington. Imagine Regehr facing the speed of the Lightning or the Jets* most nights? He doesn't have the footspeed to play against high speed opponents. He's an absolute beast and great positionally, but does he have the speed for the SouthEast? It's something Washington is thinking about I'm sure.

#7 JTech780

JTech780

Resident Know it All

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

In the video that the OP refers to Dreger says that San Jose might be the top candidate for Regher, which brings up the Regher for Setoguchi+Demers trade discussion from awhile ago.

Also on TSN they are stating that Dallas is willing to move their 1st round pick, 14th overall. Maybe trading Regher to Dallas for the 14th pick would work.

#8 Caelum

Caelum

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Historically, this team has struggled more with Regehr out of the lineup than with any other player. Considering how long he's been with the club, the remaining years on his NMC contract, it's pretty unlikely this deal happens.

I could see Feaster shopping Babchuk's signing rights in advance of Free Agent day to salvage a draft pick though, since it's pretty clear a resigning won't be for smart money. Outside of prospects (which won't net much of a return outside of the draft and otherwise defeats the purpose) Sarich is the only other possibility, as he's on his last year of contract and probably won't be renewed after this season. Still, at $3.6M it's an expensive rental for a stay at home defensemen, even one with a Stanley Cup ring.

#9 JTech780

JTech780

Resident Know it All

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:23 AM

Historically, this team has struggled more with Regehr out of the lineup than with any other player. Considering how long he's been with the club, the remaining years on his NMC contract, it's pretty unlikely this deal happens.

I could see Feaster shopping Babchuk's signing rights in advance of Free Agent day to salvage a draft pick though, since it's pretty clear a resigning won't be for smart money. Outside of prospects (which won't net much of a return outside of the draft and otherwise defeats the purpose) Sarich is the only other possibility, as he's on his last year of contract and probably won't be renewed after this season. Still, at $3.6M it's an expensive rental for a stay at home defensemen, even one with a Stanley Cuping.

We won't be able to get anything for Babchuk's rights. I don't his value around the league is as high as we think, and certainly not as high as he thinks. If I had to guess, I would say he ends up in the KHL next year.

#10 geos

geos

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

Regehr hasn't missed signficiant time for six years. I don't know how this conclusion can be drawn. Six years ago Regehr was a premier shutdown d-man. Now he's borderline top pair due to mobility. Big difference.

I could see Feaster shopping Babchuk's signing rights in advance of Free Agent day to salvage a draft pick though, since it's pretty clear a resigning won't be for smart money. Outside of prospects (which won't net much of a return outside of the draft and otherwise defeats the purpose) Sarich is the only other possibility, as he's on his last year of contract and probably won't be renewed after this season. Still, at $3.6M it's an expensive rental for a stay at home defensemen, even one with a Stanley Cuping.

Babchuk's signing rights are worth perhaps a bucket of beans (or maybe a 7th) at this point. Why not though? He's not going to be in Calgary anyway. Get whatever you can, even if its a bucket of pucks. Rights for six days probably aren't worth much.

#11 Caelum

Caelum

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:34 AM

Regehr hasn't missed signficiant time for six years. I don't know how this conclusion can be drawn. Six years ago Regehr was a premier shutdown d-man. Now he's borderline top pair due to mobility. Big difference.

Babchuk's signing rights are worth perhaps a bucket of beans (or maybe a 7th) at this point. Why not though? He's not going to be in Calgary anyway. Get whatever you can, even if its a bucket of pucks. Rights for six days probably aren't worth much.

When playing injured or out with injuries, this team gives up over a goal a game more on the average. That's a pretty hefty statistic, and it's a blessing Regehr hasn't missed significant time due to injury in his career as a Flame because Kipper would never have gotten his Vezina, Jennings or Campbell Conference Trophy otherwise. I'm surprised I have to explain this to you, really.

I said Feaster would shop Babchuk's signing rights, I didn't say someone would bite for it. At this point it's clear he won't resign, might as well see if you can get anything for him instead of letting him go for nothing.

#12 JTech780

JTech780

Resident Know it All

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:39 AM

Lets not forget either that there are teams out there that have to spend a ton just to get to the cap floor. Florida needs to spend 30 mill this offseason just to get to the cap floor.

So here is my far fetched trade suggestion.

Regher
Stajan
13th overall

For

3rd overall
76th overall

#13 FCF

FCF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:44 AM

In the video that the OP refers to Dreger says that San Jose might be the top candidate for Regher, which brings up the Regher for Setoguchi+Demers trade discussion from awhile ago.

Also on TSN they are stating that Dallas is willing to move their 1st round pick, 14th overall. Maybe trading Regher to Dallas for the 14th pick would work.

SJ makes a lot of sense. They needed a big shutdown d'man against Vancouver to help slow down the twins.

#14 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,293 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:47 AM

As i've said in another thread, I am compelely fine with a Setoguchi/Demers trade for Regehr. I think if any dman moves its going to be Regehr becuase he is the only one that I think can net you a pretty good return and move money as well. Moving Jbow I dont' think is going to land you the type of return you want and moving other guys just isn't going to clear salary because I don't see teams wanting Sarich at a full 3.6 cap hit. Regehr offers you flexability and thats massive for the Flames.

I think the following teams would be in play for Regehr.

Anaheim
Dallas
Detroit
Florida
San Jose
TB
Caps

Detroit could potentially offer you the more immediate return, as rumors have them shopping Hudler/Flippula for d help.Regher isn't a great fit for what they do however so that interest may be moderate. All the other teams offer some interest names. I'm not really for dealing REgehr for a pick unless it's a high pick and something else is in the package. I wouldnt' do Regehr straigh up for the 14th pick becuase the dmen I think are going to be available at 13/14 are not great and certainly not worth losing Regehr over. I like Duncan Siemens and Oscar Klefbom I just don't like them enough to give up REgher straight up for thats all.
Washington is probaby your most attractive option I would say. Alzern, Eakin, Marcu Johanson, Eric Fehr are all good posibilities. Probably most desperate as well becuase it was painfully obvious they are short a Regehr type dman.

#15 Kulstad

Kulstad

Resident Cat Wrangler

• Administrators
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

According to DDreger's tweet:

Sources say Robyn Regehr has been asked to waive his no-move clause and accept a trade to the Buffalo Sabres. Details to follow.

#16 Ring-a-ding-dong-dandy

Ring-a-ding-dong-dandy

A legend in my own mind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,952 posts

the thing is Washington doesn't really have a dman who can shut down like Regehr can. They have Green and Carlson for offence, bringing in Wideman didn't really add anything they didn't already have. Regehr I can see as possibly a good partner for Green, if they choose to do it that way. Not on the powerplay, obviously.

The question is, would a Bouwmeester-Wideman pair work for the flames? On the powerplay it might. They may go for putting Sarich back with jBo, though that would likely cut Bouwmeester's minutes a tad. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I don't know that Wideman fits here.

I think Wideman/Bouwmeester would work personally, I think it would be similar to the Bouwmeester/Giordano pairing we saw in Bouwmeester's first season with us.

Then again we could juggle pairings too. Play Carson's shifts with Bouwmeester and Brodie's with Sarich. Play Giordano with Wideman and then play Sarich/Bouwmeester together a bit and give Bouwmeester a little time with each of Giordano and Wideman. On the powerplay we could use Wideman as our main weapon and play him with a combination of Brodie (ideally most the time), Giordano, Bouwmeester and Tanguay. the 2nd unit ideally would be Giordano and Bouwmeester. On the PK I would use Giordano/Bouwmeester as the 1st pairing and Sarich with a combination of Wideman, Carson and Bouwmeester

#17 geos

geos

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

When playing injured or out with injuries, this team gives up over a goal a game more on the average. That's a pretty hefty statistic, and it's a blessing Regehr hasn't missed significant time due to injury in his career as a Flame because Kipper would never have gotten his Vezina, Jennings or Campbell Conference Trophy otherwise. I'm surprised I have to explain this to you, really.

I'm going to have to call you on this one. Two reasons:

1) You can't look at two games and decide there is a trend. It's not statistically signficant

and

2) Even if it was, you're wrong this season:
Nov 24 L 1-2 (OT) v. NJD
Jan 14 W 3-2 v. Ottawa
Jan 15 W 2-1 v. Toronto

Average regulation (include OT and your still wrong) season GA without Regehr? 1.333
With Regehr (total season)? 2.890

2-0-1 without Regehr.

So you're wrong, sorry.

When Regehr came back from the January injury, we were blown out two games in a row.

Maybe back in some previous season you might be right, but like I said, it's not statistically signficant when a guy misses a couple games. Last season though, if you want to stretch that, Regehr was a negative (not that I believe those numbers are meaningful, but apparently you do).

The 2009 game that Regehr missed was a 3-1 Flames win against the Thrashers too.

So really I think you've just convinced yourself of something that isn't true, or was true six or seven years ago when Regehr was a very different player.

#18 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,293 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:54 AM

The one team I really thought about adding but didn't sounds like could be the one. As someone just posted Dreger tweeted that Regehr has been asked to waive his NTC to go to Buffalo.

Have a feeling Roy could be invovled. Wouldn't be thrilled about that but that's an idea. I remember rumors were flying that Stafford for REgehr was on the table during the deadline so maybe thats back on. I like Drew Stafford but not thrilled about his 4 million. Lots of prospects I like (foligno, Kassian and Psyk) so that and a pick is a nice package. But Buffalo has so few players under contract i'm pretty intrigued as to what tyep of deal this could be.

#19 Ring-a-ding-dong-dandy

Ring-a-ding-dong-dandy

A legend in my own mind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:54 AM

According to DDreger's tweet:

Sources say Robyn Regehr has been asked to waive his no-move clause and accept a trade to the Buffalo Sabres. Details to follow.

wow, don't know what else to say

#20 funnymunk77

funnymunk77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

http://twitter.com/#!/DarrenDreger

Not sure how I feel about this, wouldn't mind seeing Regehr moved but Buffalo..? Don't really have anyone I think we need/want.