The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrBojangles

Flames Getting Smaller

It doesn't matter. You get the best player and that's it. Flames have been ''big and strong'' for years and have failed to adjust to the opponent's speed. People here in Calgary are freaks about size. Jesus look at what we've done to guys like Martin St-Louis. He was ''too small'' for us. Come on, give me a break, Bartschi will be a good player for us, at 5'10 or at 6'4 it doesn't matter and MANY players proved it in the past.

I don't think that's such a big deal actually. Sven is a smart player.. as is Granlund. Smart and swift players can normally neutralize the worst of the size difference.

Well you can't go a whole lotta small or you get years of bottom dwelling like the Oilers who for years drafted for speed without size.

It is really tough to get both speed and size in one package. When the team is big the rink plays smaller which gets rid of a lot of space that the speed needs to function better.

We've already got future size in spades. Bouma. Nems. Etc. Big guys.

Ramage, Negrin. No big deal. We're covered.

I see as more of a move to get skilled players, they just happen to be under 6 feet.

North Americans are too obsessed with the physical side of the game. There is far more to hockey than trying to bellyflop on people.

Who cares about size... But are they fast???

The smaller they are, the faster they better be...

John Gaudreau Height: 5' 6" Weight: 137

You can say what you want to about size not being a big deal, but this guy's gonna get to 160/170 pounds max, he'll be pushed around like nothing. He better be faster than ficken Superman on meth if he hopes to make it in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

You make an incorrect assumption that weight = strength. If hes strong he wont get pushed around.

Not true at all. Strength can't make up for such a glaring weight deficit. If most people have 60 pounds on you you will get pushed around no matter how strong you are. It's simple physics.

The only way to make up for weight is speed and agility.

So we drafted a big potential backup goalie, a big physical defenseman, and 3 smaller skilled forwards.

Baertschi (Bartschi?) is for sure a quick guy. Granlund isn't that fast but makes up for it with intelligence.

Gaudreau, meanwhile is one of the guys I have no info on period. From his stats it looks like he's a good offensive prospect, but his lack of size is definitely an issue.

Does anyone remember a small guy called Theo Fleury? (And that was when all the hooking and grabbing was around). Most of these guys if they make it to the NHL will be fine. the big questions is IF they make it to the NHL.

Gaudreau, meanwhile is one of the guys I have no info on period. From his stats it looks like he's a good offensive prospect, but his lack of size is definitely an issue.

They interviewed him on the radio this afternoon. He has grown from 5'6" to 5'8" since they measured him at the start of last season. He sounded excited to go so high in the draft as he was expecting later.

They interviewed him on the radio this afternoon. He has grown from 5'6" to 5'8" since they measured him at the start of last season. He sounded excited to go so high in the draft as he was expecting later.

Is that so? 5'8" is not a bad number at all. It's a lot better than what I was expecting. It's not ideal, but it makes a huge difference between getting hit by the shoulder of a 6'2" guy right into the cranium and getting hit on the jaw.

Don't forget, St. Louis is only 5'8" so I think that if he can show his offensive chops he'll be a solid pick.

that's it. Feaster just likes small forwards. Horak, Bartschi, Byron, Granlund, and Gaudreau (that pick astonished me) all came in during his reign.

Bartschi I'm not too worried about. He's fairly strong, and he's a hard worker, good skater. Granlund's a bit more alarming, but he's intelligent, and knows how to move around, especially in the offensive zone with the puck on his blade. He's not the fastest player, but I believe he's quicker than his brother. Gaudreau... he borders on microscopic. His statline was good, but he played in the USHL. Still, the flames liked him enough to take him in the 4th, so I'm willing to bet he's a good skater, and a hard worker. They said they were making strides to improve their american scouting, so I'm hoping that this is an example of that.

Not true at all. Strength can't make up for such a glaring weight deficit. If most people have 60 pounds on you you will get pushed around no matter how strong you are. It's simple physics.

Cobblers mate :) I've been playing contact sports all my life and i'm only 5'6'' and at this guys age I was even lighter than he was. No bugger pushed me around and playing rugby (as well as ice hockey) pushing was a huge part of the game. Weight will make a difference when you have an impact at speed but then no one is going to stand up to that, even the biggest guys in the league get knocked on their arses by smaller guys when that happens.

Player against player, battling for position, strength and technique matter vastly more than weight. Again, North Americans are obsessed with size in sport.

Hey this new hit to the head rule is really going to help the Flames .

Hi--Sabres fan here just checking around the boards to see how everyone liked their draft.

Thanx by the way for Regehr he is a piece of our puzzle thats been missing. Still looking for the one corner piece to finish the puzzle(these round puzzles are tough to figure-lol).

I know you guys seem to be hung up on size but take it from me---Nathan Gerbe is only 5'5" and 178lbs and he was one of Sabres fiercest competitors in the 2nd half of the season and in the playoffs. Then we have Tyler Ennis and Derek Roy. Paul Byron is gonna be a good one for you and is very exciting to watch like Ennis.

Well,good luck to all on the season and hope to some day see you in the playoffs(you know what that means) :)

Cobblers mate :) I've been playing contact sports all my life and i'm only 5'6'' and at this guys age I was even lighter than he was. No bugger pushed me around and playing rugby (as well as ice hockey) pushing was a huge part of the game. Weight will make a difference when you have an impact at speed but then no one is going to stand up to that, even the biggest guys in the league get knocked on their arses by smaller guys when that happens.

Player against player, battling for position, strength and technique matter vastly more than weight. Again, North Americans are obsessed with size in sport.

It's not how much dog is in the fight, but how much fight is in the dog

(sorry I've always liked that one)

Size isn't always a factor, the dog quote, original UFC, David and Goliath type stuff.

I will analyze the dog quote, A rottweiller would destroy a chihuahua any day so the statement doesn't really work.

If you look at David and Goliath, he had a ranged weapon (a sling commonly used in protecting flocks AND wars at that time) while Goliath didn't. Also according to the story, David's stone was guided by the hand of god to it's target.

In the UFC, Royce Gracie took out many different guys due to his skill set. If you have the skill set, you can make up for size differences. Gracie's skill set was to go to the ground and submit his opponent, he didn't stand in the pocket and try to strike with the bigger guys.

If Byron and others have the skill set to offset the size, then great put them in the position that best utilizes that skill set. Someone who is small but fast and slick (St. Louis, Fleury etc.) should use those skills in the top 6 on the wing. You don't set them on the third or fourth line centre to crash and bang with the big bruisers.

Theo Fleury was shorter than all of these guys. Let's at least give them a chance before shunning them simply based on their height.

There is a reason you've seen 1 Theo Fleury and 1 Martin St Louis. Size is a huge factor there is no dbout about that. There have probably been a good few hundred players under the height of 5'10 draft since the lockout and very, very few of the make the NHL. Does that mean you discount them, not it doesn't. But Size is a huge limiting factor in terms of an NHL career there is no way around that. So IMO, yes I think the Flames are going to the wrong direction with their moves. Barteschi i'm fine with because I think his frame and strength is very solid. Byron and Gaudreau i'm less impressed with given their frames.

Ultimately though, i wonder if this is going to change the way the Flames play. Flames don't play a system that is going to allow small skilled player to flourish.