Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Steven Stamkos (RE-SIGNED by TBL) and Drew Doughty

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#1 cartermac13

cartermac13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

Steven Stamkos is asking for alote of money but he is worth the cost. He would put the puck in the net alote and him and Iginla would be awesome together. He could put us pass the first round. Drew Doughty would also be great. Just think Boumeseter and Doughty at the blue line. There worth the cost.

Cartermac13

#2 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

Steven Stamkos is asking for alote of money but he is worth the cost. He would put the puck in the net alote and him and Iginla would be awesome together. He could put us pass the first round. Drew Doughty would also be great. Just think Boumeseter and Doughty at the blue line. There worth the cost.

Cartermac13

Lots of threads below that you can post this in. Normal board etiquette is to post in an existing thread if one exists.

As for why not. We can't. They are both Restricted Free Agents (RFA). Which means their club has the right to match any offer another club gives them. Which both clubs have said they will. If the club didn't match the offer we would also have to forgo our next 4 first round picks as compensation to the club that loses them.

Trade is a more likely avenue. But we don't have the type of assets you need to get these players via trade. We also lack the salary cap space at the moment.

#3 Demonous_Xodus

Demonous_Xodus

Tyrant of Positivity

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:29 PM

Doughty and Stamkos would be crazy to leave their teams for us.

Tampa Bay was a Conference Finalist this season, and L.A will possibly be a conference finalist this year. Why would they even want to leave unless they go to a Number One team?

#4 calgaryboy12

calgaryboy12

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:34 AM

I'm sorry, but the suggestion of getting Stamkos or doughty is completly absurd. First of all, we don't have the cap space for him. Then even if we did have the cap space and Stamkos accepted the offer, Tampa would match it without a doubt. And if Tampa does not match it and we do get Stamkos, we will lose our first, second, and third round pick for next year. And by the way, we don't have our second round pick anymore, so we wouldn't even be capable to sibmit an ofer sheet.

#5 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:08 AM

I'm sorry, but the suggestion of getting Stamkos or doughty is completly absurd. First of all, we don't have the cap space for him. Then even if we did have the cap space and Stamkos accepted the offer, Tampa would match it without a doubt. And if Tampa does not match it and we do get Stamkos, we will lose our first, second, and third round pick for next year. And by the way, we don't have our second round pick anymore, so we wouldn't even be capable to sibmit an ofer sheet.

Just on a technicality, any offer sheet to STamkos is likely to be in the 4 1st round pick (over 7 mill range) not under. I dont' think Stamkos woudl agree to less.

But the rest I agree with it its pointless and I do believe Tampa would match. I think you may be able to take trade with TB for Stamkos but I dont think Doughty goes anywhere. either way, offer sheets are pointles becuase I think both teams will match.

#6 the_hanson_brothers

the_hanson_brothers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:57 PM

Cartermac13

Spellcheck. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

Why don't we get them? I don't know. Because this isn't EA's NHL 2011, it's real life? Because just because it isn't as easy as just signing them? Shall I go on?

#7 ALMACfan

ALMACfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:34 PM

Why don't we get them? I don't know. Because this isn't EA's NHL 2011, it's real life? Because just because it isn't as easy as just signing them? Shall I go on?

The answer is in a thread named "Pore Riting Skilz"
Check it out!

#8 phoenix66

phoenix66

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:19 PM

Actually it is almost that easy.. Hardest part of the whole equation is Giving them an offer sheet they will sign.. Chances are what they would want in return for a trade is more than we will give but we can take the chance on the 4 first rounders. If they match fine, we tried.

#9 Demonous_Xodus

Demonous_Xodus

Tyrant of Positivity

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:43 PM

The funniest part of it all is I have both these guys who I poached with offer sheets on my NHL 11. xD.

I traded Hagman(at 3) to Tampa Bay and then out-bid them at 7 for Stamkos, giving up 1,2,3.

Then I traded Stajan and Kotalik to Los Angeles and out-bid them too for Doughty.

It was amazing LOL.

#10 successfulblackman

successfulblackman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:22 PM

Cartermac13

typical noob who thinks that every thing can be done by our team to obtain top end players. I bet he/she doesn't know anything about free agency

#11 LCP_STEVIEG

LCP_STEVIEG

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

The funniest part of it all is I have both these guys who I poached with offer sheets on my NHL 11. xD.

I traded Hagman(at 3) to Tampa Bay and then out-bid them at 7 for Stamkos, giving up 1,2,3.

Then I traded Stajan and Kotalik to Los Angeles and out-bid them too for Doughty.

It was amazing LOL.

You did this with salary cap on?

#12 Demonous_Xodus

Demonous_Xodus

Tyrant of Positivity

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:31 PM

With the cap at 65.6M, yup.

#13 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

Elder Statesman

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,079 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:06 PM

Cartermac13

It has to be your own picks that go out in return if the offer sheet is accepted. In the case of either Stamkos or Doughty it would mean 4 - 1st rounders in the next 4 years. A team cannot have 2 offer sheets involving the same compensation in play @ 1 time (or even overlapping 1s).
IF Feaster were to target 1 he could not target the other.

#14 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

I also had Stamkos and Doughty on my team at one point. I only had to give up Langkow and Regehr for Stamkos, more for Doughty though.

It'd doable for sure, but I also ahd traded Kipper at this point and Iginla took a pay cut.

#15 calgaryboy12

calgaryboy12

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

typical noob who thinks that every thing can be done by our team to obtain top end players. I bet he/she doesn't know anything about free agency

Don't be too harsh on this poor fellow. He'll catch on as time progresses.

#16 Pyromancer

Pyromancer

Prospects - Put The Old Guys Out To Pasture

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:33 PM

Striking It Rich: Stamkos Agrees To Five-Year, $37.5M Contract With Lightning - TSN.ca Staff - 7/19/2011 3:37:19 PM

I guess he won't be a Flame then..... :( :lol:+

The best thing is the contract length of only 5 years which should be an absolute maximum for ALL contracts.
Contract breakdown - $8M, $8M, $8M, $8M, $5.5M

#17 phoenix66

phoenix66

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

Striking It Rich: Stamkos Agrees To Five-Year, $37.5M Contract With Lightning - TSN.ca Staff - 7/19/2011 3:37:19 PM

I guess he won't be a Flame then..... :( :lol:+

The best thing is the contract length of only 5 years which should be an absolute maximum for ALL contracts.

Somebody tell me again why the richArds offer wouldn't have worked ??

#18 Baalzamon

Baalzamon

Stats Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

Yzerman has to be the craftiest GM there is. I'm thinking he probably agrees with you on that.

#19 Flame111

Flame111

Flames Zombie (Reality Bites)

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:22 PM

Stamkos doesn't have to sign an offer sheet. He is on record every where of being really happy in Tampa, he really likes playing with St. Louis and it is also clear to me that this paltry contract and term for a young player of his calibre is essentially a discount in my book.

Yawn, I just woke up from my wonderful dream of Stamkos playing with Iggy. It was never a realistic option and always was merely a dream. If Stamkos really wanted to put the screws to Tampa he would have signed a one year deal and walked as a UFA as next season and probably for a new NHL contract record to someone. The kid obviously doesn't want to leave.

He made a bit of a mistake though in my book. Hockey is a contact game, he could take a career injury like DiPietro sometime in the next 5 years and instead of being locked up long term in that terrible situation he loses maybe 50 million or more.

Tampa's owner has got to love the deal though. Short term, reasonable star pay, keeps his options open in case he has to sell the team. Only one ugly contract, the Vinny one, on the books etc...

#20 Baalzamon

Baalzamon

Stats Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:22 PM

he probably considers 5 years with 7.5 cap hit a pay cut to stay in Tampa. No way does he take the same money to play in Calgary.