The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ring-a-ding-dong-dandy

Heat 2011/12 Season

Why the f*ck would Taylor be in net and not Irving? That's just stupid. Every team with a goalie like Irving and their farm in the playoff would definitly play him at all cost(ie. PRice with Hamilton). When it's your future goalie, you want him to show how good he is and give him confidence with a possible run at the calder cup. That should have been a management decision if Troy Ward didn't want to play Irving, he should have been forced to do so by Feaster... that's just a wasted opportunity for Irving to progress in his development. Taylor will never see NHL time with the flames, ever..

I agree with Irving should be playing, but the flames should have also sent down Brodie, Backlund, and the other younger guys who couldn't be stolen off waivers. Why wouldn't the flames a) give them more experience or B ) increase the chances of them winning or making a run at the calder cup? Is there something I am missing that stopped them from sending them down or just poor management?

I agree with Irving should be playing, but the flames should have also sent down Brodie, Backlund, and the other younger guys who couldn't be stolen off waivers. Why wouldn't the flames a) give them more experience or B ) increase the chances of them winning or making a run at the calder cup? Is there something I am missing that stopped them from sending them down or just poor management?

Agree 100%. Everyone available to go to the heat should go now. (i.e Backs, Brods, ETC.). THere should be no excuses not to send them for a calder cup run. Unless i'm missing some kind of rule...

Agree 100%. Everyone available to go to the heat should go now. (i.e Backs, Brods, ETC.). THere should be no excuses not to send them for a calder cup run. Unless i'm missing some kind of rule...

Brodie is hurt. Backlund is beyond the AHL. The Heat can and should play the goalie they feel gives them the best chance to win.

Brodie is hurt. Backlund is beyond the AHL. The Heat can and should play the goalie they feel gives them the best chance to win.

Fair enough on Brodie, I thought he was back from his injury.

Backlund is only 23, and still on his EL, so I thought he can still be sent down?

Yeah, I think Backlund can be sent down too..

I don't get how Taylor gives you a better chance to win than Irving, even if it's not a menagement decision. I think as a hockey decision, you play Irving too..

Fair enough on Brodie, I thought he was back from his injury.

Backlund is only 23, and still on his EL, so I thought he can still be sent down?

He can. But sending him down after two NHL seasons is unusual. Besides he is injured as well.

I agree in the point, that organisation wise, Irving should play some more games, especially in the playoffs.

But Ward is responsible for the Heat and their success. It is his team and the should play the players who he thinks they have the most success.

The Heat won game one in Milwaukee with 6-2. Nemo scored twice in his first ever Calder cup Playoff game! Congratulations!

Two things,

1- Yes Irving may be the better goaltender but the heat went into the Playoffs on a 7 games win streak and Taylor was in net for 6 of them I believe. He is red hot so you have to ride your hot goalie. It's Ward's reponsbility to win.

2- Brodie and Backlund are injuried so sending them down right into the heat of a playoff race is not a good idea. Yes they both were getting closer to returning but why risk it?

The Heat have a glut of AHL caliber(maybe even NHL caliber with the Nemiszs and the Alius) players even without Brodie or Backlund. They'd have no room either way, and seeing how they blew into the playoffs I'd be wary of making any roster shakeups. If it's not broke, don't fix it. Now if they make the second round where Backlund and possibly Brodie are ready and they lose two bad games in a row, send them down to give the squad a boost.

The Heat have arguably the strongest roster ever held by a Flames AHL farm team. They'll be fine.

I wonder who starts in goal in the next round? Taylor has been pretty stellar in net from what I hear on the radio. Be that as it may though Irving is the #1 and I think you have to go back to him.

I wonder who starts in goal in the next round? Taylor has been pretty stellar in net from what I hear on the radio. Be that as it may though Irving is the #1 and I think you have to go back to him.

Taylor finished the season as the #1, and is 3 - 0 in the playoffs, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Just from looking at the stats Taylor actually had the better season.

As a Flames fan I want to see Irving in net because it would be great for his development, but in the playoffs you have to go with the hot goalie and right now that is Taylor.

You also have to think that with a deep playoff run, Ward's chances of getting the Flames head coach job will improve dramatically.

According to Coach Ward, the player who has the best success vs. the opponent will start. Which is partly why Taylor played vs. MIL. Irving was 1-3 in the season series, including part of an 8-3 loss. Couple that with a 12-game point streak heading in, and Taylor's your man. IMO, I can't disagree with the logic.

Now that being said, we have yet to see whether we play OKC or TOR in round two. Either team will be tough. Team-wise 2-2-0 vs. TOR (Irving and Taylor both 1-1), and 2-5-1 vs. OKC (Irving 1-2, Taylor 1-1). I'd rather see TOR, but we'll still beat either one.

And in terms of Coach Ward for the Flames, granted there may be some success there, but I think it would be better to wait at least one more year. Bruce Boudreau was in the AHL for 8+ years before finding success in the NHL.

According to Coach Ward, the player who has the best success vs. the opponent will start. Which is partly why Taylor played vs. MIL. Irving was 1-3 in the season series, including part of an 8-3 loss. Couple that with a 12-game point streak heading in, and Taylor's your man. IMO, I can't disagree with the logic.

Now that being said, we have yet to see whether we play OKC or TOR in round two. Either team will be tough. Team-wise 2-2-0 vs. TOR (Irving and Taylor both 1-1), and 2-5-1 vs. OKC (Irving 1-2, Taylor 1-1). I'd rather see TOR, but we'll still beat either one.

And in terms of Coach Ward for the Flames, granted there may be some success there, but I think it would be better to wait at least one more year. Bruce Boudreau was in the AHL for 8+ years before finding success in the NHL.

I still think you go with Irving.....he's the goalie of the Flames future right now barring some unforeseen circumstance. It builds his confidence and makes him compete harder knowing a very capable back-up is chomping at the bit to take his job.

As for Ward I don't know what to think. If the Flames don't go with Ward where does that leave him? We're not going to hire some other guy for 1 year and then bring in Ward the following. We'd be the laughing stock of the NHL for the revolving coach's door. If Troy is the future coach of this team you're looking at another 3 - 5 years before that happens and what are the chances of him sticking around like that especially if he continues his success at the AHL level. Then again if the Flames Organization does give him the job and he's clearly not cut out for it again we will be looking for a new coach. Its not a decision I envy the Flames brass having to make.

I still think you go with Irving.....he's the goalie of the Flames future right now barring some unforeseen circumstance. It builds his confidence and makes him compete harder knowing a very capable back-up is chomping at the bit to take his job.

As for Ward I don't know what to think. If the Flames don't go with Ward where does that leave him? We're not going to hire some other guy for 1 year and then bring in Ward the following. We'd be the laughing stock of the NHL for the revolving coach's door. If Troy is the future coach of this team you're looking at another 3 - 5 years before that happens and what are the chances of him sticking around like that especially if he continues his success at the AHL level. Then again if the Flames Organization does give him the job and he's clearly not cut out for it again we will be looking for a new coach. Its not a decision I envy the Flames brass having to make.

Yeah, obviously you can't bring in someone for one year, that's out of the question.

But I don't think Ward is one year away.

I want to see him in Abby for maybe 3 years. Then he could join the Flames as an assistant before getting the #1 job.

I don't see a problem with not hiring him. And they asked him exactly that on the FAN and he soumded like he isn't worried about it and knows that he needs more time.

Yeah, obviously you can't bring in someone for one year, that's out of the question.

But I don't think Ward is one year away.

I want to see him in Abby for maybe 3 years. Then he could join the Flames as an assistant before getting the #1 job.

I don't see a problem with not hiring him. And they asked him exactly that on the FAN and he soumded like he isn't worried about it and knows that he needs more time.

My preference is for him to stay there for a good 2-3 seasons as well but I think after that, again provided he continues to have success, I think he'll be anxious to get a shot. I guess there is a good chance that whoever the Flames hire this summer may be out of a job in 2/3 years but your hope is that he is not. But then I guess if he is getting the job done losing Ward wouldn't be the end of the world, but I really really have high hopes for Ward. That's the paradox I am in when I think about the head coach position as the more I read about ward the more I like him and think he has great potential at the NHL level.