The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C_worthy

Baertschi Watch

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to see what he can do in the big leagues. Horak, looks pretty good two, although, he is kinda small, hopefully he has the skating ability to make it not matter.

Horak is not small. He is 6' tall. Maybe you are thinking Byron who is smaller(5' 10"). Horak addressed the weight(170lbs)in an interview where he said he was working on conditioning togain strength and weight all summer. He knows it is an area he can improve on.

I never said he was short. By small, I was referring to his size. Hipefully, he can put on a few pounds. He's a good 3" shorter then Cammi, yet 20 lbs lighter.

I might be mistaken, but isn't Byron closer to 5'7"? Or did he grow?

I never said he was short. By small, I was referring to his size. Hipefully, he can put on a few pounds. He's a good 3" shorter then Cammi, yet 20 lbs lighter.

I might be mistaken, but isn't Byron closer to 5'7"? Or did he grow?

Depends on where you look. THN has Byron at:

ab72f55803b7d2c1690ea92b3b19b7b1.png?1352837975

And the Heat website threw him in some lifted and leaded shoes or something:

0a8b2f62657654c97443e67dd5d954b4.png?1352837290

Are you being fair comparing Cammy to Horak? Cammy is 30 and had a few years of intense training to build the muscle.

You could have also compared:

98653877f52c6fe81bbe068cb51edb57.png?1352837751

Granlund?

I don't think EDM or COL regret their picks, and I think Larsson, Hamilton and possibly Couturier would still be ahead due to a combination of upside and NHL-proven traits, but I could see Bartschi in the mix with Huberdeau for that 6th spot right now. Everyone else is IMO at least a tier below the two of them, with some (Duncan Siemens, here's looking at you) dropping like 4 or 5 tiers below.

Career-wise, I'd just be happy if he proves to be a franchise player, so no pressure ;).

Can't help but notice that Baertschi and RNH are tied for points, and Baertschi has more goals.

Baertschi is not officially the best forward rookie in the AHL (goals and points). I doubt we'll see that change.

I'm going to say it now....we may end up seeing Baertschi as the best player in that draft when it's all said and done...

Didn't know where else to put this so I just picked the most popular thread haha.

Anywho, I went to the Heat-Aeros game today. Thought I'd give you all some of my observations.

Overall the team looked tired. Can't really blame them after two extra-time wins two nights in a row just prior.

The main thing I noticed was Baertschi's play tonight. It was awful to put it blatantly. He didn't win a single puck battle all night and he was benched the entire third period (could have been injured, but I'm pretty sure I saw him on the bench). With all that being said, it just looked to me as if the fatigue caught up to him. Nothing more. So nothing to worry about, he'll be back to his usual self next game.

Another thing I noticed was the play of Laing. I've always wondered why they made him captain but watching him tonight showed me exactly why. We were really sluggish in the first 30 or so minutes of the game, but he was single-handedly dictating pace and physicality. He was really leading by example and eventually it lead to a tying goal by Piskula.

Overall I'm still proud of the overall effort. Picking up 5 out of 6 points in 48 hours is pretty impressive.

I'll post another one of these next time the Heat come to town.

Forgive my ignorance but is Baertchi hurt? Havent seen his name in the box scores lately (2 games or so)

Not much has been said about it, but it seems that the concern has been about concussion symptoms and they are handling it with caution... This report was on Sportsnet eight days ago on the 5th... http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/2012/12/05/troy_ward_with_dean_molberg_andrew_walker/

This clip is a rapid fire interview from the 6th...

^ there was talk of concern re 'concussion symptoms', but then the talk turned to neck injury or whiplash.

But there have been no updates (to my knowledge) in a couple of weeks

Bump....

And, we're back.

Baertschi played on the 10th, was -1, and was relatively unimpressive.  BUT, he got Ice Time.

And, for that reason, we can hope to see him return to form in short order.

Here's to better development for Baertschi....I'm fully expecting him to finish the season out as the Heat's best player.

And, again. Another two-point night with a goal and an assist.   The assist was on an overtime winner.

Really glad to see Baertschi rebounding from the disapointment and taking the opportunity to develop properly.

The Heat are now contenders, between getting Danny Taylor back and getting Baertschi back in the lineup.

Last night's game was also a rare battle between Taylor and Karlsson in net.

Taylor crushed him, and got first star.

When it comes to Sven, I am now thinking maybe he was sent down so he wouldn't have to go through or experience all the negativity that seems to likely be about to happen, with the present Flames Team.

I'm already looking forward to the development camp next year:

Beartschi, Gaudreau, Jankowski, Granlund, Mackinnon/Barkov?....  literally 5 top forward prospects knocking on the door, with Baertschi knocking it down first.

My guess:   Baetschi, Gaudreau, and our 2013 first-rounder will be ready for opening night:

An entire line, brand new.  Possibly more.

I'm wondering if they sent him down so he can still become rookie of the yr next yr if he doesn't get hurt

Hey could have played another 14 games and still qualified for rookie next year.  It IS very convenient that he only played 5 games last year, as 6 would have put him out of the running for next season.

Things are pretty negative with the team right now, and there's also the issue with building his strength.

I thought he was okay at the NHL level, but he's dominant in the AHL and I think that's the kind of role we need him to get minutes in.

I can't think of anyone else better-positioned for rookie-of-the year next season, that much is true.

I'm already looking forward to the development camp next year:

Beartschi, Gaudreau, Jankowski, Granlund, Mackinnon/Barkov?....  literally 5 top forward prospects knocking on the door, with Baertschi knocking it down first.

My guess:   Baetschi, Gaudreau, and our 2013 first-rounder will be ready for opening night:

An entire line, brand new.  Possibly more.

Gaudreau is doing well. I wouldn't rush him.,  Another year in the NCAA won't hurt his development. Gives him more time to gain some muscle and hopefully squeeze out another inch.

When it comes to Sven, I am now thinking maybe he was sent down so he wouldn't have to go through or experience all the negativity that seems to likely be about to happen, with the present Flames Team.

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier somewhere on the boards. I don't want to dig for it, but I whole-heartedly agree.  I don't want him anywhere near this.  When it's over and the debris is cleared, he can sprout and flourish.

Edit:  Found it.  Wasn't too far away.

As disappointing as it was for Sven and for the fans, admittedly even for myself when he was sent back to Abbottsford, I fully believe this is the best path for him to succeed.  Between the rollercoaster of the Flames' lack of consistency in the standings, and the trade/rebuild/retooling drama from the media on a daily basis, separating our best prospect from these distractions was a smart move and the best one until most of these sideshow debacles are cleared.  Hopefully after this season most will be cleaned up.  This includes the decided fate of the captain, the decided fate of our goaltending, and the realignment is set in place.

Gaudreau is doing well. I wouldn't rush him., Another year in the NCAA won't hurt his development. Gives him more time to gain some muscle and hopefully squeeze out another inch.

Not only that but it gives him a true leadership role on the team next season and allows him to continue his winning ways...

I think Johhny is in the exact place he should be, I would be shocked and more then a lil pissed if he was asked to leave collage early.

Not only that but it gives him a true leadership role on the team next season and allows him to continue his winning ways...

I think Johhny is in the exact place he should be, I would be shocked and more then a lil pissed if he was asked to leave collage early.

I might be jumping the gun on Gaudreau playing next year.  However, I really don't think you'll see him finish all 4 years.

He's likely going to win the Hobey Baker this year, as well as Rookie of the Year.

Where do you go from there?  Win the Hobey Baker three years in a row?  Unlikely.   Possible, I suppose.

I agree though...one more year of college would be good for him. 

I also doube very much you see Gaudreau stay and finish his degree. I think you'll see him in the AHL next year personally and depending on how that goes will determine his future. I think he is ready for the college to AHL step becuae I agree that there really isn't much for him to prove in college hockey. I won't fault him if he wants to stay there but I dont' think that would be the Flames choice.

I also doube very much you see Gaudreau stay and finish his degree. I think you'll see him in the AHL next year personally and depending on how that goes will determine his future. I think he is ready for the college to AHL step becuae I agree that there really isn't much for him to prove in college hockey. I won't fault him if he wants to stay there but I dont' think that would be the Flames choice.

I would be happy if he stayed for one more year in the NCAA, but I wouldn't mind if he went to the Heat for one year, either.

However, this is the thread about Baerstchi. Anyone been watching the abby games?