The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C_worthy

Baertschi Watch

Maybe someone with a little more hockey knowledge could help me out here...

I think I heard that Baertschi was drafted 2nd overall by Portland in a European draft? Does anyone know the details, and who was drafted a head of him?

He was 7th in the 2010 CHL Import Draft. Martin Marincin (EDM) went 1st, Nail Yakupov went 2nd, and Martin Frk went 3rd in that same draft.

Portland itself is one of those teams that develop good players but don't usually have a lot of team success. Rarely do you see teams like Saint John who are winners that produce top NHL prospects. On the other side of the spectrum are teams like the Calgary Hitmen of old, where they'd have a lot of team success with marginal prospects and guys drafted mid-to-late rounds.

I don't think it can be understated how well Bartschi is doing. (or Baertschi??)

Even the players who are Close to him (Etem, Stone) are Older and have had More seasons in the WHL.

He is younger and less experienced than anyone even close to his pace.

Bartschi is looking like THE steal of the 2011 draft, despite how high he was picked. He is that good. For all Edmonton's talk of Hopkins, I'm not so sure he'll be the story at the end of the day. The Flames are developing Bartschi the right way: In the WHL. And Man, oh man...is he ever developing.

We might just have our first-line Left Winger in place for the next 15 years. We just need to find the guy a centre now.

The guy who blogs the Winterhawks gives him the second star for the week, and says this:

Sven Bartschi – 1-5-6 in two games, now on a career high eight game assist streak with 18 assists in those eight games.

Apparently they have been on a long road trip.

The Flames took the same route with Backlund. Set him up in Kelowna then let him play to the Memorial Cup Finals, all the while he was acclimatizing to N. America. Not saying Portland is going to go the distance but they have a team to compete at that level.

He was 7th in the 2010 CHL Import Draft. Martin Marincin (EDM) went 1st, Nail Yakupov went 2nd, and Martin Frk went 3rd in that same draft.

Portland itself is one of those teams that develop good players but don't usually have a lot of team success. Rarely do you see teams like Saint John who are winners that produce top NHL prospects. On the other side of the spectrum are teams like the Calgary Hitmen of old, where they'd have a lot of team success with marginal prospects and guys drafted mid-to-late rounds.

Thanks mate!

Pouliot is looking like a great defence man coming into this drat... Depending what spot the flames hold, it would be great to pick him up... Lots of chemistry with Bart, Wortherspoon, Pouliot.

He has top pairing upside.

Another 3 point night... 3 assists & +1 rating. The kid is tearing it up.

Edit: only in the 2nd period... sorry way to early! (maybe a 4, 5, 10 point night :) )

You know the flames are hurting for top notch prospects when:

We have 2 similar Sven threads going at the same time. (the other in flames talk)

Hehe Windsor, I just got in from work and thought I was going mad. I'm glad to hear there are two threads.. or else I'd really need to get some sleep.

Sven is playing with some amazing linemates.. but he seems to be the one with the midas touch. He's involved in everything and creates a whole lot of chances because of his vision. Love this kid.

You know the flames are hurting for top notch prospects when:

We have 2 similar Sven threads going at the same time. (the other in flames talk)

It's my fault, I started this thread after he was sent down (figures he should be in the prospect area). It seemed appropriate but the mods haven't closed the other one for some reason.

But the way he's playing so far, he deserves two!

Merging the threads are probably the best option or we can pretend we have split personalities. Then again, most Geminis do, watch out for them! :P

4 points last night for Baertschi. He and Ty Rattie have some good chemistry. I wonder what it would take to pry him out from the St. Louis organization to set up a good future top line for the Flames?

4 points last night for Baertschi. He and Ty Rattie have some good chemistry. I wonder what it would take to pry him out from the St. Louis organization to set up a good future top line for the Flames?

I have never felt that chemistry in junior is a reason to make a trade.

I would assume that if he is a good player and can develop chemistry with Ratttie, that he can develop chemistry with top line NHLers as well.

Not saying I wouldn't be interested in Rattie, just saying that isn't a reason to do it.

Look at Horak as an example. People were excited that he was joining the organization in order to continue his chemistry with Howse. But in all likelihood, they will never play together again.

I would assume that if he is a good player and can develop chemistry with Ratttie, that he can develop chemistry with top line NHLers as well.

Not saying I wouldn't be interested in Rattie, just saying that isn't a reason to do it.

Look at Horak as an example. People were excited that he was joining the organization in order to continue his chemistry with Howse. But in all likelihood, they will never play together again.

Huh, why wouldn't they?

Huh, why wouldn't they?

because 1) I doubt Howse will ever make it (though I hope I'm wrong), and 2) even if he does, he is a pure goal scorer and the only way he makes it is as a top 6.

I think the chances of Howse and Horak both playing top 6 on the Flames is virtually zero.

I would agree that chemisty in junior doesn't automatically translate to NHL chemistry. However, these are both young men with top line potential (unlike the Howse/Horak scenario) and thus there is a possibility of playing together on the big club at some point. Therefore, it's intriguing to me.

because 1) I doubt Howse will ever make it (though I hope I'm wrong), and 2) even if he does, he is a pure goal scorer and the only way he makes it is as a top 6.

I think the chances of Howse and Horak both playing top 6 on the Flames is virtually zero.

They don't have to play top 6.. they will both be top 9 forwards if they play in the NHL on a regular basis. Lines are always mixed up, Ryan Howse has been a pro for 1/4 of a year and has played six AHL games and you're already giving up on him?

They don't have to play top 6.. they will both be top 9 forwards if they play in the NHL on a regular basis. Lines are always mixed up, Ryan Howse has been a pro for 1/4 of a year and has played six AHL games and you're already giving up on him?

Louis, I am not giving up on him.

But there are an infinite number of possible roads for the future. Either one of them could be traded tomorrow. Or maybe they become linemates next year and play together for 10 years. Who knows?

The point is that even though they were linemates last year, and are in the same organization now, they are each on their own development paths. The fact that they played together before will in all probability never factor into what happens to them going forward.

I would agree that chemisty in junior doesn't automatically translate to NHL chemistry. However, these are both young men with top line potential (unlike the Howse/Horak scenario) and thus there is a possibility of playing together on the big club at some point. Therefore, it's intriguing to me.

Rattie is a good looking prospect. But if you look to acquire him, you do so ENTIRELY on his own merits. You can't let his current chemistry with Baertschi factor into the decision because it will cloud your evaluation of him.

Rattie is a good looking prospect. But if you look to acquire him, you do so ENTIRELY on his own merits. You can't let his current chemistry with Baertschi factor into the decision because it will cloud your evaluation of him.

I get that. I'm just saying that the Flames appeared to have done something similar with the Horak move or at the very least, they seem to have taken his chemistry with Howse into consideration.

I get that. I'm just saying that the Flames appeared to have done something similar with the Horak move or at the very least, they seem to have taken his chemistry with Howse into consideration.

tell you what - I will happily trade Ferland (letting him join Stone in the Ottawa organization) if you can set up a three way trade and get us Rattie back!

I also believe that Howse is a pure goalscorer and wouldn't be an effective bottom 6 player. It's kinda like Dawes. Unless he is playing top 6 minutes, there are better options for 3rd and 4th line.. You want players to play to their strengths. I'm not holding my breath on Howse. I also hope I'm wrong.

On Baertschi: It's great to see him averaging 2.29 ppg, and a team leading +4!!!

Has anyone been able to actually watch manywinter hawks games? I'm just curious because baertschi's stats are great but seem to be leaning towards the assist column quite a bit. While there's nothing wrong with that his stats last year were a bit more balanced. I'd just like to know if he's developing more as a playmaker rather than a balanced scorer? Or is rattle just a good trigger man and baertschi's finding him a lot? Is baertschi making rattle look better than he is or vice versa? Or are they just both exceptional players? Sry for the length just really excited the flames have a blue chip prospect and want him to pan out. It's been too long lol.

Has anyone been able to actually watch manywinter hawks games? I'm just curious because baertschi's stats are great but seem to be leaning towards the assist column quite a bit. While there's nothing wrong with that his stats last year were a bit more balanced. I'd just like to know if he's developing more as a playmaker rather than a balanced scorer? Or is rattle just a good trigger man and baertschi's finding him a lot? Is baertschi making rattle look better than he is or vice versa? Or are they just both exceptional players? Sry for the length just really excited the flames have a blue chip prospect and want him to pan out. It's been too long lol.

I haven't seen any games, but I read a story on the Winterhawk site that said he has been one of the 3 stars of the game 9 times in his first 14 games! 5 1sts, 1 2nd, and 3 3rds (the story is on their website)

That is crazy.

I haven't seen any games, but I read a story on the Winterhawk site that said he has been one of the 3 stars of the game 9 times in his first 14 games! 5 1sts, 1 2nd, and 3 3rds (the story is on their website)

That is crazy.

That is awesome! I can't wait for his callup, I need a new jersey and I have been waiting far too long. (Still wear my Phaneuf #3) Brodie or Baertschi? hmmmmm

That is awesome! I can't wait for his callup, I need a new jersey and I have been waiting far too long. (Still wear my Phaneuf #3) Brodie or Baertschi? hmmmmm

He can't be called up. He is playing for Portland not Abbotsford. He was to young to play in Abby this year. If he doesn't make the Flames starting lineup out of camp next year, he will play in Abby, and can be called up during the year.

But like you, I am excited about Baertschi & Brodie... Hopefully (probably) another strong pick in this coming draft 2012

When we first drafted the guy, I thought that he would be a 2nd liner at best. Not sure what gave me this impression, but it just seemed that way. But after watching him play during camp and learning more about his personality (and his competitive nature), I realize that this guy is going be to a very good player with top line potential. The fact that he's producing amazing numbers in his second year in the Dub just solidified the fact that this guy was an excellent pick for us. Good on ya Feaster and staff.

He can't be called up. He is playing for Portland not Abbotsford. He was to young to play in Abby this year. If he doesn't make the Flames starting lineup out of camp next year, he will play in Abby, and can be called up during the year.

But like you, I am excited about Baertschi & Brodie... Hopefully (probably) another strong pick in this coming draft 2012

What's another year? By then, this ol jersey will be showing it's age anyway :D