The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C_worthy

Baertschi Watch

Portland has a game going on right now, currently leading 1 - 0 against Spokane. Chase De Leo, who is a potential first rounder in 2014, has the lone goal. Bartschi and Rattie have the assists.

Portland is coming off a 7-6 loss to the Tri-City Americans. Bartschi had 2 goals and 2 assists for a four point night. He was clearly the dominant player hands down. Currently 5th in WHL scoring, he has 41 points (thru the first period of today) in an absurd 18 games.

I haven't been this excited for a Flames prospect, ever. I don't want to put any pressure, but I think he's gonna be the next Claude Giroux. Both are exciting players to watch, lots of speed and intensity, and a great passing game. Bartschi is also strong on his skates, unlike Patrick Kane who was getting knocked around in his earlier years due to his lack of strength (and arguably still is being knocked around) Bartschi has the leg strength and flexibility to take checks and throw them. He's no longer undersized, just short and stocky. Already 180+ pounds, it isn't inconceivable that he'll play closer to 190+ pounds after he develops even more.

You heard it here first, Sven Bartschi will be a guaranteed top 6 NHLer. Kids that work that hard to play a game they obviously love will find a way to force themselves into the upper echelon.

WHy can't the WHL spell ''Baertschi'' right? His name is not ''Bartschi''..

it's too late to change now. the merchandise division already sold jerseys with that name. it's like when the nba denied steve nash the right to change his number from his usual 13 to 7 (which was his team canada number) because of merchandising reasons.

it's not like sven minds, so it's all good. if need be he'll just change it after graduating to the pros.

Portland has a game going on right now, currently leading 1 - 0 against Spokane. Chase De Leo, who is a potential first rounder in 2014, has the lone goal. Bartschi and Rattie have the assists.

Portland is coming off a 7-6 loss to the Tri-City Americans. Bartschi had 2 goals and 2 assists for a four point night. He was clearly the dominant player hands down. Currently 5th in WHL scoring, he has 41 points (thru the first period of today) in an absurd 18 games.

I haven't been this excited for a Flames prospect, ever. I don't want to put any pressure, but I think he's gonna be the next Claude Giroux. Both are exciting players to watch, lots of speed and intensity, and a great passing game. Bartschi is also strong on his skates, unlike Patrick Kane who was getting knocked around in his earlier years due to his lack of strength (and arguably still is being knocked around) Bartschi has the leg strength and flexibility to take checks and throw them. He's no longer undersized, just short and stocky. Already 180+ pounds, it isn't inconceivable that he'll play closer to 190+ pounds after he develops even more.

You heard it here first, Sven Bartschi will be a guaranteed top 6 NHLer. Kids that work that hard to play a game they obviously love will find a way to force themselves into the upper echelon.

I agree. It's not that he's tearing up the dub (though that is great), it's his attitude and work ethic.

And his hockey smarts. Most players find the jump to pro very difficult. Occasionally kids come along who find playing with the pros easier because players are in position and are more predictable. The reason they find pro players predicable and easy to play with is because the kid has hockey smarts.

He has talent, strength, smarts, desire, and a great work ethic.

But yeah, my one concern is that expectations are going to put a lot of pressure on him. Just one more reason why this organization needs more top end prospects up front - way too much hope resting on him at the moment.

I agree. It's not that he's tearing up the dub (though that is great), it's his attitude and work ethic.

And his hockey smarts. Most players find the jump to pro very difficult. Occasionally kids come along who find playing with the pros easier because players are in position and are more predictable. The reason they find pro players predicable and easy to play with is because the kid has hockey smarts.

He has talent, strength, smarts, desire, and a great work ethic.

But yeah, my one concern is that expectations are going to put a lot of pressure on him. Just one more reason why this organization needs more top end prospects up front - way too much hope resting on him at the moment.

I agree C_worthy.

I think we've seen that for years in Calgary with Jarome. Hopefully we develop at least 3 offensive threats... Grigorenko and Forsberg look good!

I'd love to have what some teams have.... Kane, Toews, Sharp, Hossa... Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen... Perry, Getzlaf, Ryan... I could go on.

I do have faith in Feaster though. I was really impressed with his picks from the last draft. I just hope we pick up a 2nd or two before the draft... Maybe a 1st depending on how the season goes.

Don't know if anyone is keep track of the Portland game, but 1st period 3 goals.. Baertschi 1G 2A +2... The game has just started!!! Man I'm excited about this kid!

Edit: 1st period 5-1 (Baertschi 3 points )

This may be a bit premature, but is Sven within range of having the highest all-time ppg, and possibly points, in a single WHL season?

Has anyone else come anywhere close?

45 points in 19 games now...unreal.

Michael Ferland himself is playing incredible...well enough that he may be playing with the Flames next year. Even Max Reinhart has recently brought his game to a higher level (in the last 10 games or so).

But as exciting as these players are (some of our best prospects in years), they're getting dwarfed in the shadow of Sven Baertschi. Add in a few UFA signings, and Calgary is going to be an exciting team next year!

This may be a bit premature, but is Sven within range of having the highest all-time ppg, and possibly points, in a single WHL season?

Has anyone else come anywhere close?

45 points in 19 games now...unreal.

Just looking over the past ten seasons..... here are the guys that appear to be tops without me doing any actual math. Most recent are at the top.

Linden Vey - 116 points in 69 games (19)

Jordan Eberle - 106 points in 57 games (18)

Brett Sonne - 100 points in 62 games (19)

Colton Yellow Horn - 97 points in 67 games (20)

Martin Hanzal - 85 points in 60 games (19)

Dustin Boyd - 90 points in 64 games (19)

Eric Fehr - 111 points in 71 games (19)

Chris St. Jacques - 92 points in 64 games (20)

Erik Christensen - 108 points in 67 games (19)

Eric Johansson - 103 points in 69 games (19)

honestly seeing that list made me die a little inside, other than Eberle who is still carving out his niche in the NHL none are star quality.

just out of curiosity i have gone back and looked at the ages of the players during those years and added them in brackets. As a reminder this is Baertschi's 18 year old season.

Another quick search of WHL records led me to these beauty seasons.

Ray Ferraro 108 goals and 192 points in 72 games in 1983-83 (Record most goals)

Rob Brown 76 goals and 212 points in 63 games in 1986-87 (Record most points and assists)

Brown averaged more than 3.3 points per game that season :blink:

Just looking over the past ten seasons..... here are the guys that appear to be tops without me doing any actual math. Most recent are at the top.

Linden Vey - 116 points in 69 games (19)

Jordan Eberle - 106 points in 57 games (18)

Brett Sonne - 100 points in 62 games (19)

Colton Yellow Horn - 97 points in 67 games (20)

Martin Hanzal - 85 points in 60 games (19)

Dustin Boyd - 90 points in 64 games (19)

Eric Fehr - 111 points in 71 games (19)

Chris St. Jacques - 92 points in 64 games (20)

Erik Christensen - 108 points in 67 games (19)

Eric Johansson - 103 points in 69 games (19)

honestly seeing that list made me die a little inside, other than Eberle who is still carving out his niche in the NHL none are star quality.

just out of curiosity i have gone back and looked at the ages of the players during those years and added them in brackets. As a reminder this is Baertschi's 18 year old season.

Another quick search of WHL records led me to these beauty seasons.

Ray Ferraro 108 goals and 192 points in 72 games in 1983-83 (Record most goals)

Rob Brown 76 goals and 212 points in 63 games in 1986-87 (Record most points and assists)

Brown averaged more than 3.3 points per game that season :blink:

Eberles season was crazy good. Ferraro had an unreal season. I remember seeing that online a little while ago... 3.3 for brown??? wow

Eberles season was crazy good. Ferraro had an unreal season. I remember seeing that online a little while ago... 3.3 for brown??? wow

First of all, the point that CHL success does not mean NHL success is an important one that should not be forgotten. Obviously CHL success is better than not having success, but it guarantees nothing. And as Ring pointed out, it is often older guys. When the 18 year olds dominate, that's when it is impressive.

As for Rob Brown, you have to keep in mind the era. All of the scoring records are from the 80s, just like the NHL.

Eberle's season was awesome. And his PPG were 1.86.

So far (still very early) Baertschi is running at 2.37. After being sent down, he had 2 pts in his first 2 games and said he was 'ahead of the play'. He adjusted his game and has been running at 2.50 PPG steadily since.

First of all, the point that CHL success does not mean NHL success is an important one that should not be forgotten. Obviously CHL success is better than not having success, but it guarantees nothing. And as Ring pointed out, it is often older guys. When the 18 year olds dominate, that's when it is impressive.

As for Rob Brown, you have to keep in mind the era. All of the scoring records are from the 80s, just like the NHL.

So far (still very early) Baertschi is running at 2.37. After being sent down, he had 2 pts in his first 2 games and said he was 'ahead of the play'. He adjusted his game and has been running at 2.50 PPG steadily since.

Ya I understand. Didn't Cameron lead the league in scoring when we picked him up? I wasn't excited about him. It is exciting to see Baertschi dominate in his second season in the Dub. He also looked very strong for his first pro camp.

Eberle played 4 seasons in the WHL and finished his last season with 106

Baertschi is in his 2nd season and is on pace to top that.

Would Baertschi be old enough to play in Abbotsford next season if he doesn't make the big club? Abbotsford would be a better way to see how his development is actually going.

Thanks Ring-a-Ding, thanks C_worthy!

Rob Brown wasn't too shabby in the NHL either...I would argue that he was a star, scoring 49 goals and 115 points in 68 games with the Pens in his best season.

As for recent times, I think this bodes very well for Baertschi. You can erase the 20-year-old players from the equation...none of whom I even recognize. Looking at the 19-year-olds, Baertschi is on pace to smash all those numbers, including Eberle's.

Eberle is already a point-per-game player as a 21-year-old, on pace to score 25 goals this year. I'd say he's a star in the making, at very least a first-line player. I think it's reasonable to assume that Baertschi is on track to be much, much better than this, based on his ppg And because he's doing it while being roughly 6 months younger than Eberle when he had his big WHL season.

I'm starting to think can pencil Baertschi in for our first line left-winger next season...as well as Rookie of the Year candidate.

Two small notes:

I Think Baertschi is technically 18 at season start, but basically 19 for all of this year. That being said, it's only his second season in the WHL due to coming over from Europe.

Eberle: Was it not his 19-year-old season when he scored those points?? He was born May 15, 1990. He scored those points in the 09/10 season.

Thanks Ring-a-Ding, thanks C_worthy!

Rob Brown wasn't too shabby in the NHL either...I would argue that he was a star, scoring 49 goals and 115 points in 68 games with the Pens in his best season.

As for recent times, I think this bodes very well for Baertschi. You can erase the 20-year-old players from the equation...none of whom I even recognize. Looking at the 19-year-olds, Baertschi is on pace to smash all those numbers, including Eberle's.

Eberle is already a point-per-game player as a 21-year-old, on pace to score 25 goals this year. I'd say he's a star in the making, at very least a first-line player. I think it's reasonable to assume that Baertschi is on track to be much, much better than this, based on his ppg And because he's doing it while being roughly 6 months younger than Eberle when he had his big WHL season.

I'm starting to think can pencil Baertschi in for our first line left-winger next season...as well as Rookie of the Year candidate.

Two small notes:

I Think Baertschi is technically 18 at season start, but basically 19 for all of this year. That being said, it's only his second season in the WHL due to coming over from Europe.

Eberle: Was it not his 19-year-old season when he scored those points?? He was born May 15, 1990. He scored those points in the 09/10 season.

Easy there big fella...

He is doing a great job with his current assignment. Great - keep it up.

But as to next year and thereafter, let's just wait and see how things play out. Success in the dub is no guarantee of success in the NHL whatsoever. As for continuing to progress - some guys continue to improve (sometimes far more than projected), others plateau and never achieve expectations. We are talking about kids here, so you never know.

Easy there big fella...

He is doing a great job with his current assignment. Great - keep it up.

But as to next year and thereafter, let's just wait and see how things play out. Success in the dub is no guarantee of success in the NHL whatsoever. As for continuing to progress - some guys continue to improve (sometimes far more than projected), others plateau and never achieve expectations. We are talking about kids here, so you never know.

I understand the need for restraint, but I've thought this through: He already was in the running for making the team This year...the Flames had to think twice before sending him back to junior.

Also....Eberle himself is a star-in-the-making at best, he has yet to prove himself as well. So it's not unreasonable to assume that Baertschi can be as good as another unproven player. Both of their futures look bright, nonetheless.

Thirdly...it wouldn't take much to make the Flames first line, and that's the truth of it. Horak has spent quite a bit of time on the first line already this year.

Fourthly, Rookie of the Year candidate is Hardly a stretch, and you know this too just based on his play in training camp. I was careful to use the words "pencil", and "candidate".

But...there has to be at least one thread in this forum where fans can get legitimately excited on. Please let me be excited on this thread. If you were to pick a Flames thread to get excited on, this one is by far based on more reality than any other. Don't make me go back to some thread that's hoping for a late-season Stanley cup surge this year, or a "blow it up" thread. I've seen threads on here from years gone by where people were WAY more excited about Nemisz, Wahl, Aulie, etc...let me tell you that None of them were close to Baertschi then, and none of them are now. I stayed out of those threads...I was the cautious one. This is different, and you know it too.

I appreciate your efforts to not raise the bar to an unreasonable level...but first line on the Flames, and being a candidate for an award...I have not actually raised the bar that high. We're just used to disapointment with our prospects.

I am not saying those things won't happen.

I am merely saying just wait and see what happens. Looking ahead and imagining things like rookie of the year only sets you up for disappointment.

It's totally cool to be excited, and yes, that's more fun than blow-it-up threads, but just enjoy what he is doing now, and take Doris Day's advice.

That if anything speaks volumes about how high of a level he plays the game at. When you have to adjust your play to slow down for your teammates in the toughest, most-nhl-like junior hockey league in the world, you're something special. There should be very little of an adjustment period when he hits the pros.

He may actually be too fast for the rest of the team as we have it now....at the age of 19.

I am not saying those things won't happen.

I am merely saying just wait and see what happens. Looking ahead and imagining things like rookie of the year only sets you up for disappointment.

It's totally cool to be excited, and yes, that's more fun than blow-it-up threads, but just enjoy what he is doing now, and take Doris Day's advice.

I agree....Rookie of the year...that's not an unreasonable goal but it's a lofty expectation.

I was very careful to use the word "candidate"...at least, for now.

Sven said that he was beign treated like a super star at the draft, and he said that he wants to work his way to be a super star. Well he sure is making a good push towards his dream!! look at the points he is getting!!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=120612

When the flames were going to draft last year I wanted them to take mark Mcneil. Its a good thing that Jay didn't read my thread. Man I am exsited to see him make great progress towards being a star at the nhl level :)

Sven said that he was beign treated like a super star at the draft, and he said that he wants to work his way to be a super star. Well he sure is making a good push towards his dream!! look at the points he is getting!!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=120612

When the flames were going to draft last year I wanted them to take mark Mcneil. Its a good thing that Jay didn't read my thread. Man I am exsited to see him make great progress towards being a star at the nhl level :)

i wanted them to trade up for Couturier. I still think i was right :lol:

i wanted them to trade up for Couturier. I still think i was right :lol:

Hard to disagree, I would trade Baertschi for Couturier right now If I could.

I agree with C-worthy that I think expectations of him should be tempered somewhat. Be impressed with what he is doing for sure, but I think the fact that this if the Flames first real offensive prospect in about 4 years has people a little too overhyped. I have little doubt that Baertschi will be a very solid pro but to talk like we've stumpled upon the next big thing is very premature. He is a great prospect that so far is on the right developmental path.