The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C_worthy

Baertschi Watch

Hard to disagree, I would trade Baertschi for Couturier right now If I could.

I agree with C-worthy that I think expectations of him should be tempered somewhat. Be impressed with what he is doing for sure, but I think the fact that this if the Flames first real offensive prospect in about 4 years has people a little too overhyped. I have little doubt that Baertschi will be a very solid pro but to talk like we've stumpled upon the next big thing is very premature. He is a great prospect that so far is on the right developmental path.

I wouldn't trade Sven no mater the return until I see him in 10 nhl games. so far Horak is out preforming Couturier. Even though he's older then Couturier I Still think that Horak is a bigger deal

I wouldn't trade Sven no mater the return until I see him in 10 nhl games. so far Horak is out preforming Couturier. Even though he's older then Couturier I Still think that Horak is a bigger deal

Horak has not outperformed Couturier, not even close.

Not only is Couturier #2 on his team in PK time which in itself in unbelievable but Couturier has more goals, points, hits, blocked shots takeaways and a higher fo%

Couturier is superior to Horak in every way imaginable.

Saying otherwise is nothing short of blind homerism

Not only is Couturier #2 on his team in PK time which in itself in unbelievable but Couturier has more goals, points, hits, blocked shots takeaways and a higher fo%

All of this is very true. The only thing Horak does better than Couturier is exceed expectations. The kid is doing great for a 5th rounder. Him having the proper prescription for his contacts now must help. :blink:

100% agree with that. Horak is getting 2nd line minutes too, while Couturier has been gettin 4th.

Hello from Portland. Just thought I'd let you all know what I saw on the ice last night regarding our favorite new prospect. First off, the stats tell you that Sven had 3 assists, but what they don't tell you is that it could have easily been 3 goals with those 3 assists. I've seen Baertschi play several times down here, and he is a very fun player to watch. Last night he looked unreal against Seattle (mind you, Seattle looked downright brutal, hence the 7-1 final score). But, the hands and confidence he showed in the offensive zone was very fun to watch. It just seemed so easy for him to skate in, completely undress a couple defenders, and then get a quality shot off, or slide a tape-to-tape pass to a teammate. He has the ability to just slow things down in the offensive end and open everything up for either himself or the rest of his teammates. He had a lot of really great chances, several of which he created himself making something from nothing. In terms of his vision on the ice and hands and playmaking ability, in my opinion this kid was the best player on the ice for either team. He's fun to watch, and I'm excited to see him in a flames jersey some day.

I checked the stats and I have had a change of heart :wub:

Hello from Portland. Just thought I'd let you all know what I saw on the ice last night regarding our favorite new prospect. First off, the stats tell you that Sven had 3 assists, but what they don't tell you is that it could have easily been 3 goals with those 3 assists. I've seen Baertschi play several times down here, and he is a very fun player to watch. Last night he looked unreal against Seattle (mind you, Seattle looked downright brutal, hence the 7-1 final score). But, the hands and confidence he showed in the offensive zone was very fun to watch. It just seemed so easy for him to skate in, completely undress a couple defenders, and then get a quality shot off, or slide a tape-to-tape pass to a teammate. He has the ability to just slow things down in the offensive end and open everything up for either himself or the rest of his teammates. He had a lot of really great chances, several of which he created himself making something from nothing. In terms of his vision on the ice and hands and playmaking ability, in my opinion this kid was the best player on the ice for either team. He's fun to watch, and I'm excited to see him in a flames jersey some day.

we can use some of that right now. I wonder how he would have done if he made the jump to the NHL straight away?

I checked the stats and I have had a change of heart :wub:

we can use some of that right now. I wonder how he would have done if he made the jump to the NHL straight away?

I think he would be struggling.

He looked good early on, but once the game got to include more NHLers you could see he just coudln't keep up. He was unsure of where to be, he was a little slower getting there and was a bit lost in his own zone and you didn't see him get any more comfortable. I think the right choice was made to send him back to Juniors for a year.

He basically looked like a rookie, so that's fine. Maybe he woudl have gotten the hang of it after 15 to 20 games, but then you don't want him riding the bench or the 4th line trying to figure things out. Playing as well as he is down there must be doing wonders for his confidence.

another 3assists +3. leading the league in assists. Looks like he is becoming quite the playmaker?

40 assists.

Next closest is 36, then 30. There is only one player in the dub less than 10 assists back of his total (despite him playing quite a few fewer games than everyone else)

And Rattie is leading in goals. They are really tearing it up.

40 assists.

Next closest is 36, then 30. There is only one player in the dub less than 10 assists back of his total (despite him playing quite a few fewer games than everyone else)

I hope his shot is improving, that was the only thing that I thought was keeping him from playing in the nhl

40 assists.

Bartschi is having a fantastic start to the season. And it's so good for him that he has a true finisher like Rattie able to put home so many of his passes. Rattie has surpassed his goal total from last season already! :o

Bartschi is having a fantastic start to the season. And it's so good for him that he has a true finisher like Rattie able to put home so many of his passes. Rattie has surpassed his goal total from last season already! :o

Considering that Rattie has surpassed his goal total from last year already, I would say that it is HE who is fortunate to have Baertschi.

Calgary Flames 2011 first round draft pick Sven Baertschi (LW-Portland/WHL) has been invited to join Team Switzerland who will hold camp in Red Deer from December 17-23rd. Baertschi is 4th among WHL scoring leaders with 12 goals and a league leading 41 assists in just 23 games.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=605681&navid=DL|CGY|home

Just got tickets to see Russia Vs Switzerland Dec 26th! Can't wait to see Baertschi, Grigorenko, and Yakupov! (Mostly The Bear)

Just me posting to myself I guess...apparently it's a concussion. Very unfortunate news.

Switzerland is hoping he'll be back..I'm hoping they don't Rush him back.

Probably the last thing I'd want to happen to our brightest prospect. With any luck they take lots of precaution.

i thought the swiss are eliminated already

They had to play in the relegation round and will play one more against the USA for seeding purposes.

I saw him play one game, looked alright. Seems like he just needs to work on puck pursuit and where to go when he doesn't have the puck, especially in the defensive zone. When he has the puck though I enjoy watching him play, he is very creative. I will be happy when he is playing for us!

They won't rush him back to play a 7th or 8th place game against the US. The Swiss won't be relegated so it doesn't really matter much. If he's ready, he'll play, but I doubt he'll be rushed. I'm heading to that game this afternoon so I'm hopeful he plays but I doubt it.

Just wondering if anyone has heard any news on Baertschi? Will he be on the ice Friday against Kelowna? Is he out for a while?