The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teardropdm

Henry Burris

Its sad to see burris go..i dont like how alot of teams go with one year..any money says Drew Tate is a one hit wonder..and cant rely on Glenn!!! I know burris is turning 37 but in cfl that dont mean crap look at Calvio(spelling error) burris is still a great QB

I love Burris....and I think this is for the best.

Burris has some good years left in him, but ultimately it came down to Hank and Tate. And unfortunately Tate's got the edge in terms of future potential. Glenn is an emergency resort in case Tate falters.

It sucks to see the second-most popular athlete in Calgary go to a rising Hamilton team, but that's pro sports.

Its sad to see burris go..i dont like how alot of teams go with one year..any money says Drew Tate is a one hit wonder..and cant rely on Glenn!!! I know burris is turning 37 but in cfl that dont mean crap look at Calvio(spelling error) burris is still a great QB

I don't know who's money is saying Tate is a one hit wonder, definitely not mine. Many have projected him to be a very good qb in this league. He was a very good qb for Iowa, and has looked promising so far as a Stamp. A few mistakes, but Henry wasn't exactly playing flawless either. As for Calvillo, who knows what kind of shape he will leave Montreal when he retires as they have never really found a quality backup for him.

Thats the nature of the position, if you stay loyal too long it can kill you long term. If the 49ers can trade Montana and win a sb with his replacement, the Packers can trade Favre and win with his replacement, and there is plenty of speculation Peyton Manning will be out of Indy. It may be different leagues, but those 3 imo meant way more to their franchises than Henry has meant to the Stamps. I like Henry and hope that he bounces back in Hamilton, but I'm happy with the move.

I'm very happy with the trade. Not thrilled about losing Burris, but I think the time is right. I don't think he and Dickenson were ever going to co exist here again, Burris' decision making process is just a terrible fit for Dickenson's offence, IMO. I know they had a great year last year but I think the Stamps were still running alot of what they ran with Cortez and it seems like this year Dickenson had more control over the offence and Tate is just a better fit. I think Tate is going to be a very good QB in this league, maybe not special like Burris was for a time, but I think a very good starter. I dont' think has anything to do with age, this has to do with right now Tate is a better fit for the STampeders than Burris is and Burris doens't want to be a backup (understandably so). I think Burris can be an ok starter for the next couple seasons, but honestly right now I think Tate is as good a QB and he can grow where Burris can't. Stamps did well to move him now and get a pretty good return for him IMO as well.

Yeah, I suspected this would happen sooner rather than later. It's a good move in the long run though. Tate's the real deal. Gotta give credit to Hank though he had some tremendous years with the Stamps.

he was good a few years ago, but his play has been dwindling with age. He can no long handle the heat in the pocket, and he always throws the ball way above his receiver's head forcing them to reach for the ball. This causes them to expose their ribs to the defender thus making our receiver's pear out from catching the ball. He had a good run as a stampeder, but his time is done here.

I prefer to think of the conspiracy theory. Remember when Huff had his announcement that Tate was about to be given the reins? In that new Conference he said something strange. He said Burris had not been himself for 7 weeks.

So where is the conspiracy you ask? Go back 7 weeks and you come across that new conference about Burris and his facebook or twitter being hacked, and all that stuff going on.

I wish Burris well in Hamilton, but we can't say it is a good fit there for him, no coach etc.

I prefer to think of the conspiracy theory. Remember when Huff had his announcement that Tate was about to be given the reins? In that new Conference he said something strange. He said Burris had not been himself for 7 weeks.

So where is the conspiracy you ask? Go back 7 weeks and you come across that new conference about Burris and his facebook or twitter being hacked, and all that stuff going on.

I wish Burris well in Hamilton, but we can't say it is a good fit there for him, no coach etc.

They just hired George Cortez, old OC in Calgary and the only guy IMO, that was able to get his full potential out. I know he was gone during Burris' MVP year but they were stil running a similar offence and once they made the change Burris was not the same.

I'm very happy with the trade. Not thrilled about losing Burris, but I think the time is right. I don't think he and Dickenson were ever going to co exist here again, Burris' decision making process is just a terrible fit for Dickenson's offence, IMO. I know they had a great year last year but I think the Stamps were still running alot of what they ran with Cortez and it seems like this year Dickenson had more control over the offence and Tate is just a better fit. I think Tate is going to be a very good QB in this league, maybe not special like Burris was for a time, but I think a very good starter. I dont' think has anything to do with age, this has to do with right now Tate is a better fit for the STampeders than Burris is and Burris doens't want to be a backup (understandably so). I think Burris can be an ok starter for the next couple seasons, but honestly right now I think Tate is as good a QB and he can grow where Burris can't. Stamps did well to move him now and get a pretty good return for him IMO as well.

Your right Burris wasn't a great fit under Dickenson's offense, but at the same time I wouldn't have cried if Dickenson wouldn't be back, imo he killed the offense by underutilizing his main weapons. Those weapons being Cornish and Lewis. Dickenson twice, killed his own running game by going pass heavy and winding up in turnovers and a large deficit (Toronto and Edmonton playoff game). Cornish was unstoppable in both games, but for some reason Dickenson stopped running him. My thoughts even in the CFL is that unless your down big make the other team stop the run. I think Cornish should get 15-20+ carries per game, the guy is just as big of a big play threat as most passes. Lewis imo is the go to guy in the passing game, yet some games wouldn't even get targeted in tight games, that guy is Mr. 2nd down, makes catches in traffic, fights for every yard.

Your right Burris wasn't a great fit under Dickenson's offense, but at the same time I wouldn't have cried if Dickenson wouldn't be back, imo he killed the offense by underutilizing his main weapons. Those weapons being Cornish and Lewis. Dickenson twice, killed his own running game by going pass heavy and winding up in turnovers and a large deficit (Toronto and Edmonton playoff game). Cornish was unstoppable in both games, but for some reason Dickenson stopped running him. My thoughts even in the CFL is that unless your down big make the other team stop the run. I think Cornish should get 15-20+ carries per game, the guy is just as big of a big play threat as most passes. Lewis imo is the go to guy in the passing game, yet some games wouldn't even get targeted in tight games, that guy is Mr. 2nd down, makes catches in traffic, fights for every yard.

I agree completely. I'm fine keeping Dickenson because I do think he has a great mind and he has designed some great plays and schemes, but no question he has yet to find his niche as a playcaller. Some games you can see he get's into a groove and everything goes very well but it feels like games where they can't get it going he doesn't have the comfort zone to go to. Only 2 years as a playcaller so it's not a suprised but its something I hope Huffnagel monitors a little closer this year.

I like Hank as a person. But as a quarterback, if you want to be successful, if you want to be a consummate winner, you can't bring Hank's personality and character on to the football field. He's just too nice of a guy to have any sort of killer instinct. He'd lose the most important game of a season and he'd have his signature smile pasted all over face in the post game interview. UNACCEPTABLE. If my guys aren't near tears after a huge loss then I don't want you on my team.

It's too bad for the community, but I'm glad he's gone for the sake of the Stamps.

I like Hank as a person. But as a quarterback, if you want to be successful, if you want to be a consummate winner, you can't bring Hank's personality and character on to the football field. He's just too nice of a guy to have any sort of killer instinct. He'd lose the most important game of a season and he'd have his signature smile pasted all over face in the post game interview. UNACCEPTABLE. If my guys aren't near tears after a huge loss then I don't want you on my team.

It's too bad for the community, but I'm glad he's gone for the sake of the Stamps.

True that

Yes Im happy with this move. Burris is great (especially as a person) but in football terms, he's really old and not many years left in him. It's time for Tate to step up and be a #1 quarterback. He has all the tools to become a good star in this league and now with more playing time, he can reach that potential. I'm excited to see how he does. He has a very strong arm...throw for over 1300+ passing yards in 158 attemps. Burris threw 3687yrds in 442 attempts. Tate will be good....just be patient and you'll see!