The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jjgallow

Joni Ortio Watch

Granted, but my thoughts are that if we want Ortio as part of this organization moving forward, he needs to acclimatize to the smaller ice. Every player follows a diferent development curve, and IMO Joni would be better served here. I just don't think we need to run the risk of having him regress into European habits when he's ultimately (hopefully) going to be in NA full time.

Granted, but my thoughts are that if we want Ortio as part of this organization moving forward, he needs to acclimatize to the smaller ice. Every player follows a diferent development curve, and IMO Joni would be better served here. I just don't think we need to run the risk of having him regress into European habits when he's ultimately (hopefully) going to be in NA full time.

Does he really need to acclimatize? Or does he..need to play?

Is Europe really a regression? Lately all the best goaltenders have been developed from there. I don't buy it.

Is Europe really a regression? Lately all the best goaltenders have been developed from there. I don't buy it.

Exactly. Ortio needs to play. Get him into the best competition available, but he needs to be playing.

Took Backlund a year and a bit to acclimatize. learn the language, feel comfortable playing our brand of hockey. I can only guess it is as tough or tougher for a goaltender.

We were not told why he was sent back were we? Are we not reduced to speculation?

This is how I see it next year:

Kipper - #1

Irving - #2

Ramo - Abby #1

Ortio - Abby #2

Wont happen. Ramo will only come back to North America if he is in the NHL and challenging for a starting role. Hes not going to leave the KHL where he is making good money and a starter on a solid team to play in the AHL.

Not to mention Ramo is under contract until 2013 with no opt out clause.

According to this source, here, he had an opt out clause in his first contract with Omsk but chose not to use it since he would have to go play for Tampa. I'm not sure of the details of his new contract but is there a possibility he has one?

You're right, he needs to play, but also to acclimatize is how I see it. However, he is still young, so perhaps Europe wouldn't be so bad.

And I never called it a regression.

You're right, he needs to play, but also to acclimatize is how I see it. However, he is still young, so perhaps Europe wouldn't be so bad.

And I never called it a regression.

Sooo... are you trying to say that ...

Ortio's experience in Finland will be culturally different than in Canada?

Like this?

Finland_07.jpg

7c16f8f667df1f165511a9166640ff6f.jpg

snowhotel_gallery__470x352.jpg

Not to mention Ramo is under contract until 2013 with no opt out clause.

I wasn't aware of Ramo's situation. Not sure where to lok for KHL info anyway.

According to this source, here, he had an opt out clause in his first contract with Omsk but chose not to use it since he would have to go play for Tampa. I'm not sure of the details of his new contract but is there a possibility he has one?

Feaster has said that he does not and they have no plans for him until 2013. Can't find the exact interview but it was with Roger Millons.

wow 2 good games, he's a future vezina winner for sure!

Not enough people root against our own prospects, thanks for filling that gap RingaDing.

Anyway, 9 games in and he has Two shutouts in a league of grown men that is equivalent or possibly More difficult than the AHL.

http://www.sm-liiga.fi/pelaajat/11-12/tps/ortio-joni/ottelu-ottelulta.html

With a 0.923 Save percentage, he would be roughly 6th in the entire league, and 9th in the league with his goals against, if he keeps up the pace for about 5 more games (enough to count in the rankings).

Oh, and he's Three years younger than anyone else above him in the rankings.

Down with Ortio! Sure, he's following the same path as Kipper on the exact same team (TPS Turku), with even Better performance for his age.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=15587

But that doesn't mean we have to like him. Boooo!

Not enough people root against our own prospects, thanks for filling that gap RingaDing.

Anyway, 9 games in and he has Two shutouts in a league of grown men that is equivalent or possibly More difficult than the AHL.

http://www.sm-liiga.fi/pelaajat/11-12/tps/ortio-joni/ottelu-ottelulta.html

With a 0.923 Save percentage, he would be roughly 6th in the entire league, and 9th in the league with his goals against, if he keeps up the pace for about 5 more games (enough to count in the rankings).

Oh, and he's Three years younger than anyone else above him in the rankings.

Down with Ortio! Sure, he's following the same path as Kipper on the exact same team (TPS Turku), with even Better performance for his age.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=15587

But that doesn't mean we have to like him. Boooo!

No one is savying that you shouldn't like Ortio, but basing his talent and his future on very limited stats and games isn't fair and is not right, that's all. He's got to show alot more before we talk about a bright future for Ortio.

No one is savying that you shouldn't like Ortio, but basing his talent and his future on very limited stats and games isn't fair and is not right, that's all. He's got to show alot more before we talk about a bright future for Ortio.

Exactly, I would love for Ortio to turn into the next Kipper, I just foresee it happening at this point in time as he has shown us no reason to believe it.

Exactly, I would love for Ortio to turn into the next Kipper, I just foresee it happening at this point in time as he has shown us no reason to believe it.

I might be alright with this perspective, except that the same people who are in that camp also believe Kari Ramo is our saviour.

I would take limited evidence of brilliance from a young, inexperienced goaltender Anyday over successive, consistent, mediocre play and general failures from a veteran-aged goaltender.

I'm sorry, but Ortio has shown us just as much as any other 20 year old goaltender and quite frankly, he's shown us a lot more than Kipper did at that age.

A talented prospect can tell you more about themselves in 10 minutes than a mediocre prospect can in 5 years.

2 shutouts in 9 games, for TPS Turku? An exemplary world juniors performance?

Sorry, when Ortio outperforms literally Every other top goaltender his age, and now he's doing it with grown men...that is a sign of huge potential. Nobody should have to apologize for the Kipper comparisons. Not when people are comparing Ramo to Kipper. When that gets straightened out, then you can come stamp out all hope for Ortio.

Here's your "limited" info: (which we all know means you didn't see it on the TSN highlights)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16050

This is one of the Very few threads in this entire forum where "bright" and "future" can even possibly be used in the same sentence. The kid is barely 20, and I'm not apologizing for being more interested in what I see in him than what I see in the current Flames squad.

Maybe if the fans in general paid a little more attention to our prospects and spent a little less time knocking their heads against the wall with boring, repetitive Iginla debates...Maybe the management would place a bit more value in our prospects too. This is the wrong thread to be discouraging.

I might be alright with this perspective, except that the same people who are in that camp also believe Kari Ramo is our saviour.

I would take limited evidence of brilliance from a young, inexperienced goaltender Anyday over successive, consistent, mediocre play and general failures from a veteran-aged goaltender.

I'm sorry, but Ortio has shown us just as much as any other 20 year old goaltender and quite frankly, he's shown us a lot more than Kipper did at that age.

A talented prospect can tell you more about themselves in 10 minutes than a mediocre prospect can in 5 years.

2 shutouts in 9 games, for TPS Turku? An exemplary world juniors performance?

Sorry, when Ortio outperforms literally Every other top goaltender his age, and now he's doing it with grown men...that is a sign of huge potential. Nobody should have to apologize for the Kipper comparisons. Not when people are comparing Ramo to Kipper. When that gets straightened out, then you can come stamp out all hope for Ortio.

Here's your "limited" info: (which we all know means you didn't see it on the TSN highlights)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16050

Success in the Finnish league does not equal success in North America and while some of believe Ramo is ready to challenge for an NHL starting job (far from being a savior) it is because he has been playing at a high level for a few years and believe he has developed alot since leaving North America. It is also easier to judge an older goaltender like Ramo than a young one like Ortio.

Don't get me wrong, we all want Ortio to be this stud goaltender you project him to be, but so far in his tim ein the AHL he hasn't shown a glimpse that he is close to being able to play in North America full time, let alone be a stud of a goaltender.

Don't get me wrong, we all want Ortio to be this stud goaltender you project him to be,

I'm not getting you wrong. But are you getting me right?

May I ask where I projected Ortio to be a "stud" goaltender? Where did I do anything more than rank him as one of our top goaltending prospects?

Just thought I'd check in and see if there's something I wrote which is untrue, or if you just generally don't like it when interest is shown in our prospects.

I'm not getting you wrong. But are you getting me right?

May I ask where I projected Ortio to be a "stud" goaltender? Where did I do anything more than rank him as one of our top goaltending prospects?

Just thought I'd check in and see if there's something I wrote which is untrue, or if you just generally don't like it when interest is shown in our prospects.

so stud goaltender was an exaggeration, but you are still basing your opinion on a stats sheet and a 9 game sample size in Finland. When you look at his North American numbers they are completely opposite, they are downright bad. I also don't put much stock into a great world junior tourney because we have seen alot of goaltenders have marvelous performances and then become nothing

This is one of the Very few threads in this entire forum where "bright" and "future" can even possibly be used in the same sentence. The kid is barely 20, and I'm not apologizing for being more interested in what I see in him than what I see in the current Flames squad.

Maybe if the fans in general paid a little more attention to our prospects and spent a little less time knocking their heads against the wall with boring, repetitive Iginla debates...Maybe the management would place a bit more value in our prospects too. This is the wrong thread to be discouraging.

There is a fine line between being interested and overselling. I am very intrestede in Ortio, but i'm not overseling him. Ortio has shown "flashes" of being an NHL goalie but right now they are jsut that flashes. He has not shown enough consistancy at any level to prove he is an elite NHL prospect. Everyone can show interest, i'm not discouraging interest i'm saying don't oversell prospects as you tend to do.

Case in point Backlund. Now everyone is down on him saying he hasn't reached his potential and he should be a number one center by now, when in reality that was never really his potential but he got so oversold by people on this forum and Flames fan in general that now people are discounting him for no reason. That is the danger of overselling.