The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jjgallow

Joni Ortio Watch

Another shutout last night...5th in the league now. Koskinen, who we all know is the greatest prospect in that league, is holding steady at 10th overall.

Koskinen is better :)

I'll be the first to admit that I kinda gave up on Ortio. Goaltenders are so hard to predict with their development. Its great to see Ortio playing so well, and regaining some value as a prospect.

Thanks for the updates jjgallow... Keep them coming.

Bringing anyone that young from Finland over to N. America is a gamble. The culture shock alone is going to be something that some people handle well while others struggle with. I wouldn't give up on him just yet. He may never adjust if he comes over again so all we can do is help him as he matures, and dust him off if he stumbles.

1 game doesn't prove anything. Let's see him put together a few good games before anything. The kid has been bad in most of his outings this year and 1 good game doesn't change that.

Well, we're at just over 1.5 years of solid hockey from Ortio, followed by "but it's only one game"....Every single time he has a good game.  (don't mean to pick on you Ring....just needed an example).

Just thought I'd bump this up so we an start the "it's only one game" conversation again.

My two cents:   He's been consistently phenomenal for a Long time now.  When you factor in his age, his play for SM-Liiga last year was completely unheard of.   Almost unprecedented.   And even in the AHL last year, to be completely honest, was pretty good for his age, yet somehow he got ran out of town.

I wonder how many "it's only one game" conversations we're going to need before everyone's on the same page with this kid...

My guess is it'll be at least one, maybe two more seasons of "it's only one game", followed by him becoming our starter.  Although Gilles may have something to say about that...

Well, we're at just over 1.5 years of solid hockey from Ortio, followed by "but it's only one game"....Every single time he has a good game.  (don't mean to pick on you Ring....just needed an example).

Just thought I'd bump this up so we an start the "it's only one game" conversation again.

My two cents:   He's been consistently phenomenal for a Long time now.  When you factor in his age, his play for SM-Liiga last year was completely unheard of.   Almost unprecedented.   And even in the AHL last year, to be completely honest, was pretty good for his age, yet somehow he got ran out of town.

I wonder how many "it's only one game" conversations we're going to need before everyone's on the same page with this kid...

My guess is it'll be at least one, maybe two more seasons of "it's only one game", followed by him becoming our starter.  Although Gilles may have something to say about that...

Really, until he does something on the NA ice at a pro level it really is zero good games.  I am not trying to dampen the mood but one season of half way decent stats in Finland and one strong game at a prospect tournament isn't enough to start the 'told you so' song.  

I think he is a decent prospect and he may prove to be an effective NHL goalie.  But the jury is still out right now and if they were forced to rule now the odds are still against him.  I am rooting for him of course.  Hopefully he can put together a good season in the AHL.    

Really, until he does something on the NA ice at a pro level it really is zero good games.  I am not trying to dampen the mood but one season of half way decent stats in Finland and one strong game at a prospect tournament isn't enough to start the 'told you so' song.  

I think he is a decent prospect and he may prove to be an effective NHL goalie.  But the jury is still out right now and if they were forced to rule now the odds are still against him.  I am rooting for him of course.  Hopefully he can put together a good season in the AHL.    

Most people got to remember it is a Prospects tournament and yes he did look really really good last night making kipper like saves and he's a legitimate prospect but until he proves he can do that at a pro level there is still question marks.

I hope he excels at the pro level this year right now he's showing he can be capable and will have the opportunity to excel.  personally haven't seen him play much  but he looked like he improved in a bunch of areas than previous years In the one game if he can stay consistent at that level then critics will be silenced.

Im excited to see how he does in Abby this year and hope he lights it up!

Most people got to remember it is a Prospects tournament and yes he did look really really good last night making kipper like saves and he's a legitimate prospect but until he proves he can do that at a pro level there is still question marks.

I hope he excels at the pro level this year right now he's showing he can be capable and will have the opportunity to excel.  personally haven't seen him play much  but he looked like he improved in a bunch of areas than previous years In the one game if he can stay consistent at that level then critics will be silenced.

Im excited to see how he does in Abby this year and hope he lights it up!

That pretty much sums it up.  He looks better then when we have seen him before.  He has flashed his tool set and shown us he has some decent tools in the box.  He still needs to show he can do it consistently and he can do it against better competition.  

It is nice to see him get on the radar as many fans had written him off.  

Hes really done well but still is down on the depth chart. Definately AHL for him.

Maybe there's some confusion here.   The AHL would actually move him UP on the depth chart.

Up until now, every time I suggest that Ortio should get the nod for the starting position in the AHL, it's met with:

"nah, he's not ready yet.  Looks like he may never be.  Another year in Finland maybe, then we'll see.  But doubtfull."

or a similar version thereof.

Now we see him play in North America.    And yes, I may have posted an "I told you so" image, lol.

The response:   "Nope, good game but way too premature.  He's headed to the AHL for sure"

So, just to clarify, my "I told you so" was in response to those who thought he wasn't AHL material, and likely never would be.  I didn't directly quote those people so as not to offend them.  Well now that's backfired and the Wrong people are getting offended, lol.

And within my intended context, I maintain that an "I told you so" is warranted.  To those who think he is AHL bound:

Exactly.  I agree.  You're on my side (like it or not, lol).  That IS what I'm excited about.  And that Does move him up significantly on our depth chart.  And your opinion would have definitely been in the minority prior to his last game.

Exactly.  I agree.  You're on my side (like it or not, lol).  That IS what I'm excited about.  And that Does move him up significantly on our depth chart.  And your opinion would have definitely been in the minority prior to his last game.

Why does there have to be 'sides'? Or even "i told you so"s? Like christ, its an internet forum and we are all flames fans, everything doesnt need to be confrontational.

Why does there have to be 'sides'? Or even "i told you so"s? Like christ, its an internet forum and we are all flames fans, everything doesnt need to be confrontational.

I agree.  

I'm on your side, Scott.

I just hope Ortio is committed enough to say in the AHL and continue to hone his game. I've need very anxious for him to start in North America to solidify his game but its tough when I'm sure he could make more money over in Finland but hopefully he stays and continues to improve

I just hope Ortio is committed enough to say in the AHL and continue to hone his game. I've need very anxious for him to start in North America to solidify his game but its tough when I'm sure he could make more money over in Finland but hopefully he stays and continues to improve

The way the goal tending situation for the Flames is I would think he would be smart enough to stick around as its probably the quickest way to move up.

For me he has the tools its just up to him to prove he can do it consistently at a pro level.

It was good for him to go back last year to Fin as he got a bunch of games that he wouldn't have with Taylor/ Irving in abby but now with starting Jobs up for grab with the Flames, Heat, even the Aces  its his time to take the ball and run with it.

It just seems like a common sense move to me to stay in NA and play at least im hoping so!

I liked him in his first preseason game yesterday.

You can see the huge development curve between him and JMac.   But I thought he was comparable with Reto Berra (I'll give it to Berra).  And better than Ramo, so far.

That puts him as our starting AHL goaltender, unless Ramo opted for the AHL (would be highly unlikely).

I'm hoping he can keep it up.   He's not going to get a lot of chances to show himself in the preseason with so many goalies this year.  But as long as he can keep doing what he's doing, he'll be our AHL starter and get a Ton of North American games under his belt. 

Give him one or two years to develop down there, and we could have an incredible NHL goalie on our hands.

What I don't want to happen:

I don't want Ortio to outperform Berra and Ramo.  If he somehow surprised people and became our NHL backup, I think it would be a disaster for his development.

A few more games, and we'll know.  Really excited to see what he can do in the AHL.   And by that, I don't mean his first 2 or 3 games.  I mean over the course of a season.

Maybe there's some confusion here.   The AHL would actually move him UP on the depth chart.

Not really, Hes being Ramo, Berra and Mac for sure NHL wise, arguely behind Bross in the AHL but they will probably split time and I would argue is behind Gillies who is NCAA. At best I see him as 5th in goalie depth for the Flames.

Not really, Hes being Ramo, Berra and Mac for sure NHL wise, arguely behind Bross in the AHL but they will probably split time and I would argue is behind Gillies who is NCAA. At best I see him as 5th in goalie depth for the Flames.

Ortio was considered by most to be 10th on the depth chart just a few months ago.  Not by me, but general consensus.  As per this thread, which was "in no particular order"....

http://fans.flames.nhl.com/community/topic/19028-goaltending/

Personally, I would rank  Ortio>>Gillies>>>>>Brossoit.    

Ortio and Gillies are very close, and there is a dropoff to Brossoit.  And it' not just the age difference.

I put him 4th, you put him 5th...it's not even enough to argue about.

But the three players currently ahead of Ortio:   JMac, Ramo, and Berra.....truthfully, none of them are prospects.

In terms of prospects with significant upside, It's Ortio, Gilles (take your pick who's first), then Brossoit, then everyone else.

So, a goalie who was 10th on our depth chart is now shaping up to be our starting AHL goaltender.  

Even now, how exactly does it work that he is shaping up to be our starting AHL tender, when there are two positions above him, and three goaltenders above him?

I'm not sure anybody knows.  But he's played well enough that he seems like the logical player for the position.

Ortio was considered by most to be 10th on the depth chart just a few months ago.  Not by me, but general consensus.  As per this thread, which was "in no particular order"....

http://fans.flames.nhl.com/community/topic/19028-goaltending/

Personally, I would rank  Ortio>>Gillies>>>>>Brossoit.    

Ortio and Gillies are very close, and there is a dropoff to Brossoit.  And it' not just the age difference.

I put him 4th, you put him 5th...it's not even enough to argue about.

But the three players currently ahead of Ortio:   JMac, Ramo, and Berra.....truthfully, none of them are prospects.

In terms of prospects with significant upside, It's Ortio, Gilles (take your pick who's first), then Brossoit, then everyone else.

So, a goalie who was 10th on our depth chart is now shaping up to be our starting AHL goaltender.  

Even now, how exactly does it work that he is shaping up to be our starting AHL tender, when there are two positions above him, and three goaltenders above him?

I'm not sure anybody knows.  But he's played well enough that he seems like the logical player for the position.

My own opinion of how the goalies will line up:

Flames

Ramo - 40 games starter, 25 games backup 

Berra - 30 games starter, 20 games backup

JoMac  - 12 games starter, 37 games backup

I see no real value in playing JoMac any more than this.  He was signed as a backup.  And we need to have a goalie step up to take the reins from Kipper during the rebuild.  Whether Ramo or Berra get more games, that really depends on how they play. 

Heat

Ortio

Broissoit

Ortio is the elder of the two and has some pro experience, so he is the obvious choice.  If Berra or Ramo are demoted for more than a few games, Broissoit could get sent to the ECHL for a bit (Comet?).

If we get into a situation where we have too many NHL-calibre goalies, trade one.

Early reports had Ortio playing well in preseason. I am a tad surprised he was sent down in first cuts.

I suppose we can be happy he appears to have gotten over somewhat that problem of age and N. American Ice size he encountered last time he came over.

Early reports had Ortio playing well in preseason. I am a tad surprised he was sent down in first cuts.

I suppose we can be happy he appears to have gotten over somewhat that problem of age and N. American Ice size he encountered last time he came over.

He wasnt going to play over Mac, Ramo or Berra. They sent him down to get ready for the AHL season and to give the other 3 more ice time.

I'm really glad Ortio's been assigned to the AHL.   

And I'm glad that some people are surprised they didn't give him a closer look.

8 months ago, many or most people assumed he would likely never come back to North America.

Now, he's our obvious choice for AHL starter.  I'm glad they sent him down early because as soon as he can focus on the Heat, the better.  Here, he's trying not to get blown out.  There, he's preparing for a starter role.  The more time he has to do that, the better.

Looking forward to a great season with the Heat!

Sounds like they wanted to have Brossoit and Ortio on equal footing starting in Abby.  Rather then give one a head start in camp.  This was the coaching staff will know what is what before the next goalie ends up down there.  

Someone is going to end up in the ECHL or Europe.  I think Brossoit and Ortio are playing right now to stay on the Heat and they wanted the contest to be fair.  

Sounds like they wanted to have Brossoit and Ortio on equal footing starting in Abby.  Rather then give one a head start in camp.

I also think that is the case...   Along with narrowing the field sooner rather than later, for the remaining three to finish the battle for the two spots in net...

DirtyDeeds indicated Feaster wants Ortio and Brossoit to compete for a single spot.

And that one of Berra or Ramo would be sent down.

I really hope that's not the case.

DirtyDeeds indicated Feaster wants Ortio and Brossoit to compete for a single spot.

And that one of Berra or Ramo would be sent down.

I really hope that's not the case.

The best between Ortio and Broissoit will become 1a or 1b for the Heat, while the other gets to go to Alaska. Most likely Brossoit will end up in Alaska; weather ther is similar to Edmonton anyway.

Anyway, Ortio and Berra will most likely be like Taylor and Brust, splitting the starts. Unless Joey Mac is traded, Berra will most likely be on the Heat for some/most/all of the year.