The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jjgallow

Joni Ortio Watch

I could be mistaken but I don't think Berra has been to Alaska or played there. As far as I know he is getting most of the starts with the Heat and the feedback is he is playing really well.

I can't believe it's come to this, but I am now eagerly tracking down ECHL scoresheets, lol.

Ortio had his first game of the year yesterday. Let in a couple goals in the first period, then played two periods of shutout hockey.

Nothing surprising....the first period goes to show what happens when goalies are not developed and not given playing time.

The next two periods are more what I'd expect of Ortio in the ECHL.

Berra really struggled while he was there. Ortio plays again today, hoping he can be exceptional.

Over on the Heat website it shows him playing all 5 of their games they have played this year.
085a7878438aff5dfdfc1badc114fa28.png

Over on the Alaska Team website they only show them as having played 1 game:
133d51dd008f2b5d9f734f618a8622b8.png
If you look at the player stats then you would see Ortio played that game.

Brossoit really struggled while he was there.   Ortio plays again today, hoping he can be exceptional.

Brossoit was put into the last heat game when Berra got pulled, and played exceptional. Didn't let in a single goal.

Thanks ScottM, I was talking about his time in the ECHL, but I'm glad Brossoit got a "9-shot shutout"  yesterday :)

http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1011157

Of course, with Berra getting pulled in the AHL, things are not going exactly according to plan.

Of every Flames goalie, Ortio's the only one so far that hasn't goofed up early somehow.  I don't care what league it's in, but I hope he keeps getting minutes.

And Ortio gets another shutout.

3 wins and two shutouts in 4 games, easily the best goalie in the ECHL.....

I'm glad.....but can't help but wonder if this is doing Ortio any good.  Other than just keeping him somewhat fresh.

And Ortio gets another shutout.

3 wins and two shutouts in 4 games, easily the best goalie in the ECHL.....

I'm glad.....but can't help but wonder if this is doing Ortio any good.  Other than just keeping him somewhat fresh.

I think it kills two birds; keep his playing time up, and gets him better oriented to the NA ice.  Yes, I know he played in Abby before, but he has been in Europe for awhile, so he has to get used to it again.  If Ortio is able to get some starts in some of the multi-game series, and win, he might get an extended look on the Heat.  Not saying he grabs the #1 spot, but he may be able to get a #1a or b spot.

Congrats to Ortio.  Only took him how many years?  JK. :)   If he has the stuff in the ECHL and AHL to take become the #1 guy in Abby, then he may get a callup to the Flames.  He might have some success, or he make go the way of Irving, Taylor, etc., etc.

I look at success in the AHL as meaningless until proven in the NHL.  Byron, Kris Koulanus (sp), Taylor, etc. as examples of those that looked good, but didn't or don't have an NHL game other than replacement level at best.  I look at relative failure in the AHL as also not being an indication of NHL potential.  Max Reinhart.  He will never score 30 goals, but he will prevent that many or more.

Possibly you clicked on the wrong forum then?

Maybe or maybe not.  My point was that success and failure in the A doesn't always translate into the NHL.  As a Flames prospect, I want him to be an awesome goalie.  Like any prospect, I am somewhat skeptical until he gets into the NHL.  If the only point about this thread is about how he does in the ECHL or AHL, then you are right.

Maybe or maybe not.  My point was that success and failure in the A doesn't always translate into the NHL.  As a Flames prospect, I want him to be an awesome goalie.  Like any prospect, I am somewhat skeptical until he gets into the NHL.  If the only point about this thread is about how he does in the ECHL or AHL, then you are right.

At this stage, yes, my point is about how he does in the AHL.

And I agree with you, that it doesn't always translate.   That's why, even though Jon Gillies may be the top goalie in US College right now, I'm not comfortable unless we're developing two prospects with NHL starter potential.  Not only does it seem like a waste to only develop one of them, it seems, as you've pointed out, very high risk.

I agree that success doesn't always translate from the AHL to the NHL.

Failures, on the other hand....they do tend to translate.   Especially with players in their late 20s.  And Berra has been pulled twice already.  

p.s....Ortio got another big win in his first full start-to-finish AHL appearance tonight.  Played good.  Not great, not bad.   On a good day, I think Berra is still the better goaltender.   But I am surprised by Berra's inconsistency.  I'd rather see a young kid developed if the two even stack up similarly.

Our new AHL starter!!!

(as long as JMac gets claimed)

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC

I doubt Mac gets claimed.  And Ward likes his vets.  Especially in net.  

Fortunately for Ortio MacDonald isn't all that good.  Even in the AHL he has only one season above 0.900.  At least this decade.  

I doubt Mac gets claimed.  And Ward likes his vets.  Especially in net.  

Fortunately for Ortio MacDonald isn't all that good.  Even in the AHL he has only one season above 0.900.  At least this decade.  

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that Brossoit was recalled from Alaska.  If that is true, I suspect that Joey may not even play in the AHL.  If he is not claimed, he may decide to retire.  Might just be the best time for him. 

It looks like the Heat signed David Harris on an ATO.  Can't find any hockey info about him, though.

He was just released.  Looks like it was just in case MacDonald didn't clear.  

He's 5-0 with the heat, and they're 1st in the west.

Getting good starts, Mcdonald is getting the 2nd game of the back to backs so far, so ortio has a fresh team infront of him, He's looking strong.

JJ, I hate to say this, but the only way Ortio takes over #1 on the Heat is when JoeyMac is traded/waiver claimed/demoted and Berra is 1b on the Flames.  I think the Flames feel he could battle for #1 on the Flames, which is why he is going to play a lot of Heat games.  Ortio is the bridesmaid until then. :(

Or as Bugs Bunny would say..."Boo hoo hoo, always a bridesmaid, never a bride, Boo hoo hoo."

bump.....lol.    

I'm a jerk...

bump.....lol.    

I'm a jerk...

By pointing out that his prediction was correct? Ortio didn't become the #1 in Abby until JoeyMac was demoted and Berra was given his shot with the Flames. there is nothing that you quoted that didn't turn out to be true.

By pointing out that his prediction was correct? Ortio didn't become the #1 in Abby until JoeyMac was demoted and Berra was given his shot with the Flames. there is nothing that you quoted that didn't turn out to be true.

Berra played a lot of Heat games?  mmmm....I think it all happened a lot sooner than expected.

But okay, touche. 

Berra played a lot of Heat games?  mmmm....I think it all happened a lot sooner than expected.

But okay, touche. 

The removal of JoeyMac from the Flames that quickly was a big surprise.  Nothing else was.

The removal of JoeyMac from the Flames that quickly was a big surprise.  Nothing else was.

To a few of us, maybe.   But to the vast majority, Ortio starting for the Heat, and dominating the AHL, and then playing Quite well for the Flames, had almost a 0 percent chance of happening.

I had very high (possibly unrealistic) hopes for him, and I'll even admit he's met or exceeded my highest expectations this year.

To a few of us, maybe.   But to the vast majority, Ortio starting for the Heat, and dominating the AHL, and then playing Quite well for the Flames, had almost a 0 percent chance of happening.

I had very high (possibly unrealistic) hopes for him, and I'll even admit he's met or exceeded my highest expectations this year.

Had?

:P