Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The_People1

Is Iginla The Problem?

126 posts in this topic

By Solution I am talking about the fact that moving Kipper / Iggy has to be under serious consideration this summer. Rebuild if you will. Kipper is easier to do, no NMC in his final year.

Jarome, it will be his choice. Falling to dead last may not be a bad thing either. There is supposed to be a player in next years draft who is the best prospect since Crosby.

http://thehockeywriters.com/nathan-mackinnons-a-future-nhl-superstar/

So you take this young star as C. Take what you can get for Kipper and Iggy. Maybe Schenn for Iggy in Philly. A top D propsect for Kipper.

Now you have 3-4 strong young players plus Gio and Jbo.

Irving, Sven, Schenn and MacKinnon (Crosby light) - bounce to the bottom and bungee back up to the playoffs like the Flyers did in 2007.

A difference between the Flyers is that '07 was merely a blip on the radar, we have been falling since the turn of the decade. Flyers have also constantly tinkered with there roster, beginning in that offseason. Flyers have the luxury of being an attractive free agency destination.

Even if he was injured, you can't use that as and excuse because Feaster said he didn't want injuries to be any form of excuse for the performance or lack of it on the ice.

Injuries may not be an excuse, but they are a reason (the two things are different, look em up)and people have to be complete morons not to see that. You can't play to your best ability carrying injuries. Thats a simple reality of any sport. They cause both mental distraction and physical limitation.

.wake up people...Edmonton traded Gretzky, Messier, Boston traded Orr, Montreal traded Roy, what does iggy have they didn`t....

They had value. It was a different age back then when those guys dominated. Today its all about the little kiddies.

What is wrong with everyone, this team will never move forward with Jerome...this man makes $135,000 a week, then does interviews and says, we have to try harder...what a joke, regular people bust there apple all week for $500 bucks, then shell out half of it to watch this guy do nothing...Calgary has to stop trying to build a team around Iggy...it`s been 17 years..wake up people...Edmonton traded Gretzky, Messier, Boston traded Orr, Montreal traded Roy, what does iggy have they didn`t....It`s King`s turn to make a move...or they`ll all be out of jobs.

Tonite was just like every other game this time of year...it made me sick, and i`m tired of being sick about this team.

The problem is the "everybody" you refer to, have all watched Iggy and Kipper as the only consistent bright spots, on a mediocre team, for a long long long time. They have built up the loyalty to the point they can do no wrong even when they don't perform.

Just look at the reaction to my suggestion that maybe Iggy could have done more and you see people thinking I am crazy. Slow starts are certainly an area you would think that there would be room for improvement, but most of these "everybody's" you speak of don't want to hear that talk about their heroes.

lol anyone who agrees that every game shouldnt be like game 7 is just ridiculous, the guy gets paid 7 million dollars a year to play like every game is a game 7, and thinks he can slack some nights when games arent "important" then we miss the playoffs by a few points because those game werent "important" at the time.... just illogical, the guy makes 7mil, and doesnt think he should play with his heart out every game, and we leave the c on his sweater... but if anything its more of the organization for not sending a message

So when it actually is game 7 of the stanley cup, You're than just suppose to play like its any other game? Because with that mentality that's what you're saying, I would rather he play like its a playoff game, every game.

Who else should get the C on this team? Ill answer it for you NO ONE, Iggy generates the same consistent points every single season, who else on this team can you honestly say that about, oh wait you cant, If you want to complain about someone making 7 Mil and not living up to whats hes paid to do direct your attention to Jbo.

i dont think he should play like any other game just cause its game 7, i think he should play like game 7 cause they miss the playoffs by a few points every year, your putting words into my mouth(or keyboard), and yes iggy consistenly gets points, but where is he in the final stretch when his team NEEDS him? and where did jbo come from, i dont know if your illiterate but this is an iggy thread (but yes i agree 7million dollars to prostitutes to keep the teams morale up is more effective then jbo on d)

Umm, without Iginla in the first half of march this team wouldn't even be contending for a playoff spot. So down the stretch he's actually been pretty good.

What happens with Iginla, and has always happened with him, is he gets hot and then teams key on him. The flames make it very easy for other teams to key on Iggy because no one else on the bench is willing to step up.

Further, to suggest that every game should be played like game 7 is just plain stupid. There are 82 games in an NHL season. If every game were played like the last game of the playoffs, your players wouldn't make it through the end of November. The hockey season is a game of attrition, not single, one-off game that determines the season's champion.

In fact, this team is a great example of why you can't play every game like game 7. Last year after Dutter was fired they started playing with that mentality, and look where it got them. They burnt out too soon and had nothing left in the tank. No matter how much you pay someone, they aren't going to play like it's game 7 every game.

Are you on your best everyday you go into work? Are you always at the top of your game? do you always put in 100% effort? The answer to all of those questions is no, and if you answer anything else you're a liar. Everyone has off days.

This thread is comical. Do you guys even remember what kind of fan base this team had before Iginla. I remember, I was at the games. The flames were in trouble. This guy has done more for this hockey team than nearly anyone who has played the game.

The bottom line is, there hasn't been a single player since Iggy's dominance that has come in and generated what he has. Look at the Wings, they have a stacked team and they don't just rely on Zetts or Dats, Van doesn't just rely on the Sedins, they have tons of depth. This is NOT an IGGY problem people.

The people who are saying this are they bandwagon people. People who clearly jumped on this team because of IGGY.

Did Sakic get traded, NO. Did Madano get traded, Yes but basically when he was producing way under what Iggy can still do and the guy was like 40. These are players I can compare to Iggy in what they have done for their team. The only difference is that the GM's brought in stellar players to play with these guys and they won cups. This is not fair to Iggy and for the people that wanna throw this guy under the buss, Go find some other team to cheer for. This is insulting.

The problem is that we have drafted 1 player in the last 10 or more years that has amounted to anything. Dion, and he was traded. This is a joke guys. Iggy deserves to retire a Flame, and he deserves to be giving the chance to win. The team needs to make some smart decisions and you CAN win a guy like Iggy.

7 people like this

This thread is comical. Do you guys even remember what kind of fan base this team had before Iginla. I remember, I was at the games. The flames were in trouble. This guy has done more for this hockey team than nearly anyone who has played the game.

The bottom line is, there hasn't been a single player since Iggy's dominance that has come in and generated what he has. Look at the Wings, they have a stacked team and they don't just rely on Zetts or Dats, Van doesn't just rely on the Sedins, they have tons of depth. This is NOT an IGGY problem people.

The people who are saying this are they bandwagon people. People who clearly jumped on this team because of IGGY.

Did Sakic get traded, NO. Did Madano get traded, Yes but basically when he was producing way under what Iggy can still do and the guy was like 40. These are players I can compare to Iggy in what they have done for their team. The only difference is that the GM's brought in stellar players to play with these guys and they won cups. This is not fair to Iggy and for the people that wanna throw this guy under the buss, Go find some other team to cheer for. This is insulting.

The problem is that we have drafted 1 player in the last 10 or more years that has amounted to anything. Dion, and he was traded. This is a joke guys. Iggy deserves to retire a Flame, and he deserves to be giving the chance to win. The team needs to make some smart decisions and you CAN win a guy like Iggy.

Good post, 100% agree.

1 person likes this

The Iginla trade talk has been just talked about to death. Understandable...but wait its not!

Iginla manages to have three to four games at a time where he is insignificant on the ice. He does however produce significantly when he is on the score sheet. He is within the top ten of most goals per game for active NHL players. We all know his long list of accomplishments including his current 11th consecutive season with thirty goals or more. Iginla is an asset to this franchise on and off the ice.

There are certain aspects he provides to the team that have no direct cost attached such as a perfect role model, a great leader, a genuine charismatic player that all of the league admires, and not to mention he has the reputation of a god in Calgary.

There are also aspects which could be directly measured such as his consistent goal and point production, his ability to remain consistently healthy year after year, his large role in the consistent jersey sales and sold out crowd at the saddle dome.

His salary is not a problem in comparison to his production and if seven million is what you seek for a big shake up of the team then you can have Jay Bouwmeester instead.

So no I don't think Iginla is the problem and regardless of that I believe that as long as Ken King and ownership are in place, they will not trade Iginla due to their consistent profits, sold out arena, season ticket holders, jersey sales, and increasing overall net-worth annually.

Many people say that if Wayne Gretzky could be traded anyone could be traded. I say that is true but Joe Sakic was never traded; and, when I think of Iginla that is the player I think to relate him to. Sakic's stall is encased in glass with his equipment still inside the avalanche dressing room. That is the type of relationship I hope Calgary established with an Iginla so we can have him in a future management role with us.

1 person likes this

Umm, without Iginla in the first half of march this team wouldn't even be contending for a playoff spot. So down the stretch he's actually been pretty good.

What happens with Iginla, and has always happened with him, is he gets hot and then teams key on him. The flames make it very easy for other teams to key on Iggy because no one else on the bench is willing to step up.

Further, to suggest that every game should be played like game 7 is just plain stupid. There are 82 games in an NHL season. If every game were played like the last game of the playoffs, your players wouldn't make it through the end of November. The hockey season is a game of attrition, not single, one-off game that determines the season's champion.

In fact, this team is a great example of why you can't play every game like game 7. Last year after Dutter was fired they started playing with that mentality, and look where it got them. They burnt out too soon and had nothing left in the tank. No matter how much you pay someone, they aren't going to play like it's game 7 every game.

Are you on your best everyday you go into work? Are you always at the top of your game? do you always put in 100% effort? The answer to all of those questions is no, and if you answer anything else you're a liar. Everyone has off days.

I think what those who are upset that he said "every game isn't a game 7," are upset because he is basically saying, "you don't play to win every game." In my opinion, anyone remotely competitive has a desire to play to win every game they're in. I am not saying that basketball is the same game, but a player who wants to win every game, plays to win every game... IE Michael Jordan....

The Iginla trade talk has been just talked about to death. Understandable...but wait its not!

Iginla manages to have three to four games at a time where he is insignificant on the ice. He does however produce significantly when he is on the score sheet. He is within the top ten of most goals per game for active NHL players. We all know his long list of accomplishments including his current 11th consecutive season with thirty goals or more. Iginla is an asset to this franchise on and off the ice.

There are certain aspects he provides to the team that have no direct cost attached such as a perfect role model, a great leader, a genuine charismatic player that all of the league admires, and not to mention he has the reputation of a god in Calgary.

There are also aspects which could be directly measured such as his consistent goal and point production, his ability to remain consistently healthy year after year, his large role in the consistent jersey sales and sold out crowd at the saddle dome.

His salary is not a problem in comparison to his production and if seven million is what you seek for a big shake up of the team then you can have Jay Bouwmeester instead.

So no I don't think Iginla is the problem and regardless of that I believe that as long as Ken King and ownership are in place, they will not trade Iginla due to their consistent profits, sold out arena, season ticket holders, jersey sales, and increasing overall net-worth annually.

Many people say that if Wayne Gretzky could be traded anyone could be traded. I say that is true but Joe Sakic was never traded; and, when I think of Iginla that is the player I think to relate him to. Sakic's stall is encased in glass with his equipment still inside the avalanche dressing room. That is the type of relationship I hope Calgary established with an Iginla so we can have him in a future management role with us.

Ken King?

I was a Flames fan before an Iggy fan. I feel like the team tries too hard to get him the puck. Now, I don't necessarily believe that's Iginla's fault, but I think it tends to screw up any momentum the team can conjure when you're on odd man rushes and not getting quality chances because you force a pass to Iggy. It's the same with the PP. The team is super predictable trying to get Iginla the puck...

But yes, I blame the Flames Scouting because we haven't been able to draft quality players to play around Iginla, especially those years we were bad while he first started playing with the Flames. While we got Robyn Reghr in the Fleury deal, we sure could have used a few more players in that deal that could help offensively. So ya, The team hasn't found anyone to play around him.

I still think he should come to play to win every game though. When Iginla is floating and waiting for something good to happen what message is it saying to other players?

I am not sure I want that type of player on the team during a rebuild. He has been someone who has questioned coaching staff, calling out while trying to show systems on the PP and I'd much rather a player who buys in than someone who doesn't. If he's not buying in when the young guys come up, the team is just going to go through the same thing year after year.... I am a Flames fan more than I am an Iggy fan. Jerome Iginla IS NOT the Calgary Flames. That's been my problem with the team for a number of years. Albeit, he's really only the good player we have, but because so much emphasis is put on him as being THE guy, it makes everyone else less a player on the team. Maybe that's what results in poor team play.

Did you even watch late last year? It had nothing to do with getting burnt out or playing game 7 like. Moss and Morrison got hurt. That affected both 1st and 2nd lines which we had no fill-ins or replacements for.

The problem is that he is not necessarily the "solution."

Trading iggy does not mean that you will get back a #1 C that will carry this team into the playoffs and beyond. Trading him may give you the potential for such an outcome, but it is by no means guaranteed, and I would say it's less than 50% guaranteed.

We were still a good team when Niewendyk was traded for Iginla, and then, Iginla came in, and we were worse. Although, we were on a downward spiral at that point and probably not going to be able to sign Niewy since the Flames looked like they were going in a new direction with Fleury as the center point of the franchise. Niewendyk and company saw that change and didn't want to be a part of it. Now, after that, we got worse so, by trading Niewendyk, we didn't necessarily get better, we got worse and barely make the playoffs every year.

The one thing that has ever put us over the playoff bubble has and always was Kipper. Iginla is GREAT, but it's not all him that has got us in, IF we never actually EVER got Kipper, I don't know which goalie we'd have to replace that, but we'd never have gotten into the playoffs.

Although, maybe we'd have been a bottom feeder and got a few first rounders top 5 picks and be a pretty good team by now. But Kipper (mostly) and Iggy put us over the edge. If Kipper wasn't here, Iginla's numbers would be a mute point. And just numbers.

Maybe you weren't around. Your attempt to show top players can/should/shouldn't be traded when they still have value, has nothing to do with why Gretzky was traded.

Wayne Gretzky wasn't traded to improve the Oilers team future. He was traded because the Owner Pocklington owed a lot of money. Go to the Oilers board and ask them if any thing positive came from that trade. You will find out like I did, they are still bitter and no one, repeat "NO ONE" thinks there was anything good to come from the Gretzky trade.

Did you even watch late last year? It had nothing to do with getting burnt out or playing game 7 like. Moss and Morrison got hurt. That affected both 1st and 2nd lines which we had no fill-ins or replacements for.

You don't think that injuries happen when people get burnt out?

I'm sorry, but you must be super-human. Capable of giving 110%, 150% of the time.

You don't think that injuries happen when people get burnt out?

I'm sorry, but you must be super-human. Capable of giving 110%, 150% of the time.

Have you got any proof from a credible source like a doctor or trainer that specifically says Moss and Morrison were hurt because of being burnt out? How about a quote from either of them?

Neither of their injuries point to that being the reason.

What does my being or not being super human have to do with them? My capabilities have nothing to do with how they perform. It is impossible for anyone to give more than 100% effort. There will never be 150% of the time for examples like this.

Have you got any proof from a credible source like a doctor or trainer that specifically says Moss and Morrison were hurt because of being burnt out? How about a quote from either of them?

Neither of their injuries point to that being the reason.

What does my being or not being super human have to do with them? My capabilities have nothing to do with how they perform. It is impossible for anyone to give more than 100% effort. There will never be 150% of the time for examples like this.

That's the whole point of the comment.

It's ok, I understand that you are incapable of seeing past the point of your own nose.

Maybe you weren't around. Your attempt to show top players can/should/shouldn't be traded when they still have value, has nothing to do with why Gretzky was traded.

Gretzky wasn't traded, he was sold. They only included other players so the league would allow it.

Corrupt owner needed cash to prop up the companies he had destroyed through other illegal dealings. A big reason why the league does not allow cash transactions between teams anymore.

Any of these comparisons have no place in any discussion about a trade.

That's the whole point of the comment.

It's ok, I understand that you are incapable of seeing past the point of your own nose.

No problem Castle. I understand when you can't debate the facts you make stuff up(burnt out). When that doesn't work out, you attack the poster(above). Still doesn't back up your burnt out comments.

When that still doesn't prove your points the only thing you have left is to point out I made a spelling mistake or put a punctuation mark in wrong place.

Have at it Bud....

No problem Castle. I understand when you can't debate the facts you make stuff up(burnt out). When that doesn't work out, you attack the poster(above). Still doesn't back up your burnt out comments.

When that still doesn't prove your points the only thing you have left is to point out I made a spelling mistake or put a punctuation mark in wrong place.

Have at it Bud....

LOL. First off, I never said anything about you spelling or punctuation. Show me where I commented on your writing abilities and I will happily concede.

Second, I don't have to back up my "burnt out comments," because it's common knowledge that when people get burnt out they are more prone to injuries. Anyone who has played a sport at a high level, or even competitively knows this. You want me to point you to an article that says the flames players were injured from being burnt out? What's the point? It would just be one commentator speculating, instead of you and I speculating, which does nothing. BUT YOU CAN'T ATTACK ME FOR SPECULATING, BECAUSE THAT IS ALL YOU OR ANYONE ELSE ON THIS FORUM HAS DONE.

Third, the personal attack on you was because you fail to see everyone elses point. It's like you are incapable of seeing anything from someone else's perspective.

Let me lay it out for you. Iginla has been a top scorer in this league for the past decade. FACT. He has consistently been toward the top of the league in goals scored. FACT. This year is no different. He is currently in the top 25 for points scored and top 15 for goals scored. FACT.

Now you are entitled to your opinion that it's Iginla's production that has caused this team to miss the playoffs. But IMO this is a ridiculous argument since he has consistently produced. If you want to complain about production you should look to players who haven't produced, and to management who has failed to put players who produce on the ice.

If you think that Iginla is bad captain, I'm not going to argue that point with you, because neither of us can back any argument up that says one thing or the other. He may be the league's best captain or he may be the league's worse captain. There is ample evidence from coaches suggesting he is difficult to coach; and likewise, there is ample evidence from the players who have played with him that he is one of the best captain's in the league. So state what you will with regards to his effectiveness as a captain, it's only speculation (just like I am only speculating).

I find it ironic that you state that in my eyes Iginla can do know wrong. I have only put out facts and counter-arguments to your lopsided analysis. I am quite capable of seeing things from your perspective, but you continuously prove, with every poster you argue with on this board, that you cannot see anything from anyone else's perspective.

LOL. First off, I never said anything about you spelling or punctuation. Show me where I commented on your writing abilities and I will happily concede.

Second, I don't have to back up my "burnt out comments," because it's common knowledge that when people get burnt out they are more prone to injuries. Anyone who has played a sport at a high level, or even competitively knows this. You want me to point you to an article that says the flames players were injured from being burnt out? What's the point? It would just be one commentator speculating, instead of you and I speculating, which does nothing. BUT YOU CAN'T ATTACK ME FOR SPECULATING, BECAUSE THAT IS ALL YOU OR ANYONE ELSE ON THIS FORUM HAS DONE.

Third, the personal attack on you was because you fail to see everyone elses point. It's like you are incapable of seeing anything from someone else's perspective.

Let me lay it out for you. Iginla has been a top scorer in this league for the past decade. FACT. He has consistently been toward the top of the league in goals scored. FACT. This year is no different. He is currently in the top 25 for points scored and top 15 for goals scored. FACT.

Now you are entitled to your opinion that it's Iginla's production that has caused this team to miss the playoffs. But IMO this is a ridiculous argument since he has consistently produced. If you want to complain about production you should look to players who haven't produced, and to management who has failed to put players who produce on the ice.

If you think that Iginla is bad captain, I'm not going to argue that point with you, because neither of us can back any argument up that says one thing or the other. He may be the league's best captain or he may be the league's worse captain. There is ample evidence from coaches suggesting he is difficult to coach; and likewise, there is ample evidence from the players who have played with him that he is one of the best captain's in the league. So state what you will with regards to his effectiveness as a captain, it's only speculation (just like I am only speculating).

I find it ironic that you state that in my eyes Iginla can do know wrong. I have only put out facts and counter-arguments to your lopsided analysis. I am quite capable of seeing things from your perspective, but you continuously prove, with every poster you argue with on this board, that you cannot see anything from anyone else's perspective.

For me, it's his lack of production early in the season. I know it's not important to get off to the greatest of starts, but it helps to win a few more games in the early part of the season. Maybe he is discussing the point that Iggy goes on some extended slumps. So, in actuality, it is partially Iginla who isn't producing and partially management who hasn't provided secondary and tertiary scoring to aid when Iginla isn't providing. It's a lose lose to rely on just one player.

For me, it's his lack of production early in the season. I know it's not important to get off to the greatest of starts, but it helps to win a few more games in the early part of the season. Maybe he is discussing the point that Iggy goes on some extended slumps. So, in actuality, it is partially Iginla who isn't producing and partially management who hasn't provided secondary and tertiary scoring to aid when Iginla isn't providing. It's a lose lose to rely on just one player.

The problem is that you can't lump it all onto one player. Especially after 10+ years of doing so. Eventually management has to be blamed, because this team has had no talent for WAY too long.

If Iginla is a slow starter (which is debateable since he has only started slowly a few times in his career), then you need to either (1) find someone to pick up the slack, which all good teams have (see Malkin in Pittsburgh), or (2) trade him because you think that one player starting slow should result in your entire team sucking.

In either scenario, the issue doesn't seem to be Iginla, but it seems to be a team that can't support itself without Iginla. It is unreasonable to expect a player (especially a 35 year old player) to be on his game ALL THE TIME.

Great post, says it all. I know others have already pointed out how good your post is. I'm doing it again.

I might as well, because nobody seems to be reading it.

The "trade Iginla" debate is old, and boring, but a Valid debate.

Pointing your finger at the best player on your team and calling them the "Problem" is not a valid debate.

Did Iginla put the "C" on his jersey? Management made Iginla the symbol that he is. If they went about it the wrong way, then management is the problem. But Iginla is not a "Problem". How the organization and the coach utilizes him, sure. You've got yourself a debate. But to say that he drags the team down is ridiculous. The team drags itself down and we all know that Iginla isn't the one holding us back from the playoffs. It's the entire team. At some point, you look past the team, and past the coach, and possibly past the GM. At some point you have to look quite high to find the problem.

Great post, says it all. I know others have already pointed out how good your post is. I'm doing it again.

I might as well, because nobody seems to be reading it.

The "trade Iginla" debate is old, and boring, but a Valid debate.

Pointing your finger at the best player on your team and calling them the "Problem" is not a valid debate.

Did Iginla put the "C" on his jersey? Management made Iginla the symbol that he is. If they went about it the wrong way, then management is the problem. But Iginla is not a "Problem". How the organization and the coach utilizes him, sure. You've got yourself a debate. But to say that he drags the team down is ridiculous. The team drags itself down and we all know that Iginla isn't the one holding us back from the playoffs. It's the entire team. At some point, you look past the team, and past the coach, and possibly past the GM. At some point you have to look quite high to find the problem.

I don't really buy this. If your owners are willing to spend to the cap I feel that you have to blame management. Only, the management we have to blame isn't management currently in charge IMO, it's the old management that handcuffed this team.

Let's wait and see what happens. It's all we can do anyways.

Henrik Zetterberg had a nearly identical start to the season as Iginla and right now is Detroits leading point getter while only having 3 more points than Iggy currently. Zetterberg's only leading probably because of Datsyuk missing time, but still Iginla's leading this team in points year in and year out for over a decade and usually with a large gap between him and the next guy.

Henrik Zetterberg had a nearly identical start to the season as Iginla and right now is Detroits leading point getter while only having 3 more points than Iggy currently. Zetterberg's only leading probably because of Datsyuk missing time, but still Iginla's leading this team in points year in and year out for over a decade and usually with a large gap between him and the next guy.

This is exactly it. There is too much of a gap between Iggy and the next few guys on his own team. Every season we watch the game change little by little. These days we're watching teams that score by committee win the titles. I don't really feel like there is any one guy on st. Louis' team that is amazing. It's just that they really came together this season. With the parity becoming more and more evident, putting together a successful club isn't just throwing money at it anymore. It's becoming a sort of alchemy. I think the flames were really close. I think it was the coaching but it's not so clear of a problem that no one could argue with me. The problem is how patchwork the team is. We've never put together a supporting cast that meshes. Iggy himself is not now, nor will ever be the problem. It's like saying "because Iggy didn't win the Richard this year, the flames didn't make the playoffs"